PDA

View Full Version : Why DId You Stop Playing Project 1999?

Deathrydar
06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Just for fun!!
So, tell me....why did you stop playing?

falkun
06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
You failed to make a poll...

EDIT: Correction, I posted before the board loaded the poll.

Eyeke
06-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I haven't stopped playing,
But I'm on the fence about moving over to K&B. mainly because the inability to box a merchant here and still play a char in the world really cramps my personal playstyle.

Deathrydar
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
You failed to make a poll...

For some reason, the thread posts before I can make the poll options. So, un-fail me plz..

kthxbai

Deathrydar
06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
EDIT: Correction, I posted before the board loaded the poll.

I now <3 you!

Beauregard
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
wheres the option for "my class got nerfed hard, over and over"

Kingofqueens123
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
there should be more options on the poll.

Dr4z3r
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Where's the "I had to go to sleep/work" option?

Deathrydar
06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I didn't put anything about nerfs or changes in the poll choices because if your class was nerfed or changed in some way, it was because the development team deemed it neccessary to do so in order to keep the game as close to classic as possible.

If you joined up for the classic experience and then you quit because you got the classic experience, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Goofier
06-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Just got here, loving it.

Bruno
06-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Bush knocked down the towers.

Folkar
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I didn't play very long, and I do plan to come back and give it another shot. However, for me it cannot be truly classic as even in 1999 I usually two boxed content due to my oddly sparatic playtime. I do however understand why this has to be blocked in p99, just need to figure out which class I can solo that I enjoy. (miss my classic warrior/druid duo heh)

Latinums
06-13-2011, 01:13 PM
last few patches killed it for me, just lost a lot of interest =/

Nox
06-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Still playin'

Nedala
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Voted RL. I didnt stop playing but its the main reason i dont play a lot currently. Tho its a combination of RL and burned out from leveling.

Vendar
06-13-2011, 01:41 PM
school got harder and started taking more time.

oh and um, class oppression

DevGrousis
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I just came back after a while out of the game, and it sucks being behind again hahaha i feel real lost. gonna jump into a KC group and see how that goes :)

Verenity
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
It's okay Vendar, some of us like necros

Alkorin
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
RL. Responsibility sucks.

UrsusMajor
06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I like EQ and I decided, when the TLPS came up on EQLive, that I wanted to play there.

It took these guys 1.5yrs to get Kunark out and I have no clue how long it will take to get out Velious. Over on Fippy Darkpaw, Kunark just opened up and Velious will be out probably sometime in August.

I will be able to spend the next 1+ years enjoying 12yrs of content from EQ while I wait for 38 Studios MMO to come out. Sounds a bit more fun to me than playing on a free server that will take probably the same amount of time to get Velious out. Plus I don't have to worry about the Sony server going poof like I do with P99.

Nedala
06-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah hav e fun, half a year from now fippy will be into the crap expansions.

Also you have to be scared sony gets hacked again and their servers go down, like they just did. Id be more worried about soe servers than about p99 server.

vinx
06-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Plus I don't have to worry about the Sony server going poof like I do with P99.

You worry to much

these servers been around for at least 5+ years

JenJen
06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
went abroad for a while and ever since returning simply just cannot be arsed to play. The forums are, of course, still a healthy way to procrastinate day-to-day :)

stormlord
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I think "I hate this game and Im never coming back!" is such a trite remark. I bet 50% or more of the people that get bored or sick of this game and leave will come back at some point in matter of months or years. I don't care how good a game is, I always leave after a month or a couple months. It's just the nature of things for me. I think some others are like this because I've seen it. So I clicked on "I got burned out."

I think that short-term memory needs variation or it gets 'burned out'. Even games that have lots of variation get boring because the game itself doesn't change even with new content.

So we leave, screaming on our way out about some BS reasoning. But inevitably short-term memory relapses and we're right back where we started. The pattern repeats itself with each new game.

I do think, though, that people tend to stick with a particular style or trend of game. Like me, there're many games you won't ever get me to play, unless you pay me. Others, I'll play em, even happily.

Bottom line, I can't play the same game forever, but that doesn't mean I will never play it again.

Trademaster
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm back to playing again, and enjoying myself, although real life will again and trounce my sit on my butt staring at a screen while I'm not at work time.

Slathar
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
i quit because everquest is boring now that ive beaten the game. and im on a boat.

Daywolf
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Why did I stop... hmmm... well I still play now, but early this year I stopped for about 4 months while playing EVE. Was playing EVE and still playing BF2142 (as I still do) so didn't come around here at the beginning of the year, didn't have time. EVE sux though, at least for faction war pvp, which was mostly why I got the sub. They even recently gave me a credit to play some more, but I didn't bother to reinstall. But I'm still here, but more casual and more time trolling the forums :D What, there's a game, too?!?

Tysus
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Hybrid EXP Penalty.:(

Messianic
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Plus I don't have to worry about P99 getting hacked and giving out secure information like I do with Sony.

baalzy
06-13-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm still playing and enjoying it. But I'd have to say if I do quit it'll be because of sweeping mechanics changes that don't appear to be tested at all before being patched in and then left broken for weeks at a time.

Tuning things to make them like classic, implementing mechanics that should have been there, those are fine. But it doesn't seem like even the slightest bit of testing is being performed to ensure that these changes are behaving the way they're expected to.

Akim
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I just got burned out 5 minutes ago

Akim
06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I think "I hate this game and Im never coming back!" is such a trite remark. I bet 50% or more of the people that get bored or sick of this game and leave will come back at some point in matter of months or years. I don't care how good a game is, I always leave after a month or a couple months. It's just the nature of things for me. I think some others are like this because I've seen it. So I clicked on "I got burned out."

I think that short-term memory needs variation or it gets 'burned out'. Even games that have lots of variation get boring because the game itself doesn't change even with new content.

So we leave, screaming on our way out about some BS reasoning. But inevitably short-term memory relapses and we're right back where we started. The pattern repeats itself with each new game.

I do think, though, that people tend to stick with a particular style or trend of game. Like me, there're many games you won't ever get me to play, unless you pay me. Others, I'll play em, even happily.

Bottom line, I can't play the same game forever, but that doesn't mean I will never play it again.

Mind reading technology has been invented and this guy has it.

Polixenes
06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
There was some P99 server outage one day, so I clicked on EZServer having absolutely no knowledge about it.

Epics handed to you in the start zone. Access to zones I have never been able to get to and/or was never brave enough to set foot in on Live. I have a 16k HP warrior with just a little bit of 2-boxing progression. I've finally seen what Plane of Time and Qvic look like, not that mob placement is necessarily anything like Live (I wouldn't know) but it's scratching my itch to see high level EQ content even though it's very pseudo.

I can see some of the glamour peeling off now that I'm getting deeper into their custom content (repetitive grindiness), so I'll tire of being a munchkin and be back to my P99 mage at some point.

Slytly interested
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm still playing and enjoying it. But I'd have to say if I do quit it'll be because of sweeping mechanics changes that don't appear to be tested at all before being patched in and then left broken for weeks at a time.

Tuning things to make them like classic, implementing mechanics that should have been there, those are fine. But it doesn't seem like even the slightest bit of testing is being performed to ensure that these changes are behaving the way they're expected to.

So true. So true.

Vendar
06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
It's okay Vendar, some of us like necros

ha! <3

kanras
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
moved

Trademaster
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM

But this IS classic! Standard Verant/SOE operating procedure. (And a slap in the face to druids everywhere.)

Fourthmeal
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Taco Bell

Evorix
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Slow progression and too much GM interaction.

JenJen
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
i like it when people make goodbye posts, and then return about two weeks later.

Goraxx
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Goodbye.

Fist_The_Lord
06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
hmmm... "shit talking, pole smoking, i'm a bad motherfucker when i have a keyboard and mouse" GM's wasn't an option, so i didn't vote. (I'm lookin at you Uthgaard)

If your fuckin tired of p99 check out ddo: https://trial.turbine.com/ddo.php?ftui=DDODefault&utm_source=Google_Search&utm_medium=Text&referral=127284&utm_campaign=Brand+US%2C+CA

p.s. lmfao at the tags: jenjen=amelinda, jenjen is a transexual

Ingrum
06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
King camp devoured my soul...

Ichven
06-14-2011, 12:35 AM
I missed my friends on live, If I could get them to switch to P99 I would probably stay But, for now P99 is on my "Live Patch Day" game list.

~Ichven - Cleric~
~Toven - Magician~

bizzum
06-14-2011, 01:04 AM
hmmm... "shit talking, pole smoking, i'm a bad motherfucker when i have a keyboard and mouse" players wasn't an option, so i didn't vote. (I'm lookin at you 80% of the server)

Surely this is what you meant.

<3 Uthgaard

Tewaz
06-14-2011, 01:13 AM
If and when I do quit, it will be because I play too much, and it consumes my time and I am worthless.

Otto
06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Spent too much time/energy playing in the beginning. Got burned out.
Came Back.
Got Bored/Raid scene was stupid at the time.
Came Back.
Summer semester involving learning System Security and ASP.NET in 6 weeks happened.
Might come back in two weeks until fall semester.

Edit: So the correct answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE happened.

UrsusMajor
06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
i like it when people make goodbye posts, and then return about two weeks later.

I quit P99 about 1-2 weeks after Kunark came out and haven't been back since. That's more like 9-10 weeks gone by and haven't come back.

vinx
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Spent too much time/energy playing in the beginning. Got burned out.
Came Back.
Got Bored/Raid scene was stupid at the time.
Came Back.
Summer semester involving learning System Security and ASP.NET in 6 weeks happened.
Might come back in two weeks until fall semester.

Edit: So the correct answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE happened.

ya! wheres the ALL OF THE ABOVE selection??
i forced myself to just pick RL since that could mean just bout anything

Fist_The_Lord
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Surely this is what you meant.

<3 Uthgaard

Stop suckin GM ass, it's sweaty from being in a chair all day

TheBlackSheep
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
"Back in the day", I played live from Beta 4 to PoP, among other things (wink). Ended up selling my account for $500. The main reason I left back then was because the magic was waning, and PoP totally killed any of the magic that was left for me. Waiting in line to do the trials JUST to get in did it. I just logged out and never returned. Even then towards the end, I thought a lot about the early days and longed for a return. It never happened, of course. I got to 25th when EQ 2 came out, but it was clunky and could not hold my interest.

Since then, I've missed those early days and on a whim I poked around and stumbled across Project 1999. Been playing about a week. So far it has been quite an entertaining trip down memory lane.

Alzar
Azorath
Rahvan
Zakainen

Handull
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
First off, I'm still playing and still loving it, even though I'm playing the same race/class i played on live.

The ultimate reason people stop playing is because the game stops being fun for them. For me, I don't think I'll hit that stage for a long while. I've spent the last week at the same level, but I've been having fun by tradeskilling and solo camping spawns for their loot (most recently was permafrost, a very underplayed zone, which is very fun to camp even thought most mobs were green/LB cons). I hope to stretch out my p99 experience by really getting know all of the zones. I'll look at the continent maps on EQ atlas and say "i haven't killed a single mob in THAT zone, ever!" and i'll head over there. If my main is way past that zone in terms of level and loot, then maybe I'll send one of my new, low level alts over there. I imagine that once I hit the level cap, have all the best gear, have all my skills at max level, and have a detailed first hand understanding of all of the zones then I'll be bored and stop playing, but I dont see that happening for a while, since I'll also want to play my alts more and more as I level my main higher and higher (I happen to find a few different play styles fun, so having a few toons makes sense for me, but not everyone).

Eventually this server will either stop evolving or will add the EQ expansions that 'broke' the game (or maybe the developers will make up their own rules to keep veterans interested and still make the game noob friendly ;) I've seen some interesting ideas in the threads). The problem with live is that as time goes on more and more players are in the top 10% of the overall game content in terms of level and items. They have to develop a way to make the game attractive for a totally new player, but in doing so they killed everything that was classic about the game and which drew me (and many others) in in the first place. All this fun won't last forever. Just like Live changed over the years, so will p99. It all hinges on the fact that this game requires other people to play in mass to have the classic touch which most of us love. That classic feel ended at different times for all of us, its just a matter of time before it completely dies all over again, but for now I'm loving it and will be having a blast on p99!!!

PS I see some threads in the forum about a$$ hats who ruin the game and QQ all the time, and how its hard to find a low level group if you aren't a 1337 Twink. To that I say this, I only joined p99 since Sony's big shutdown (actually I thought about joining live again a few days before that fiasco!) and I've seen nothing but kindness from 99% of the players out there. My main isn't twinked, and I get invited to group all the time, even without the LFG tag up. I have similar names between my alts and my main, and I get tells "hey, isn't your main ____, how are you?" and most of the time I have no idea who this person is or what trade/port/group/convo we shared in the past, but clearly I was a decent enough person with a unique enough name to be memorable.

The titale of this thread is sad, cause it implies the community here is dying. I am really enjoying this community, and while I will be taking a week break for vacation, and while this barely matters at all because my toon's names have nothing to do with my forum name, I just wanted to say this is still a fun place to play, I have really enjoyed my time here, and I wish everyone the best (especially the dev staff, the one time I petitioned, they dealt with it almost before I could blink. Damn was I impressed, having dealt with falling through the boat on live and waiting hours for help with my corpse, this felt really good).

See you all out there!!