PDA

View Full Version : Are Weapon Skills Bugged

Deathrydar
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Before I go and report this as a bug, I wanted to know if anyone else noticed this, or it's just me.

I understand that you cannot always "max out" your weapon skills every level, but I have been unable to do so with my Druid since creation. Like, for instance, I got my 1 hb to 40 as soon as I dinged 9.....all of my other skills are maxed at 50, so the weapon skills should also max at 50, right?

Well, I am now 50% into level 9 and I have been melee'ing my ass off and it will not go above 40. The same goes for 2hb and 1hs as well. I have played for a while and was always able to max out the weapon skills for my current level (at lower levels anyway, I understand it becomes increasingly harder later).

So what do you think? Bugged?

Trademaster
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Hybrids have a lower weapon skill cap per level than fighter (warrior and monk) don't they? I know pure casters do.

Deathrydar
06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Hybrids have a lower weapon skill cap per level than fighter (warrior and monk) don't they? I know pure casters do.

I believe they cap out at max level at a lower level, not while leveling up?
Like a Druid's 1hb caps at 175.....it'll never get to 200 like a pure melee, but is that difference also apparent while leveling up? I didn't think it was...

Like I said, I could be totally wrong here, which is why I put this thread here first. :D

raf
06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm not an expert on this nor did I got forum/wiki digging for more info yet. I'm just quickly posting my experience here.

I will say that, on my level 18 cleric atm, it seems like my casting skills are capped at 95 while my melee combat skills are capping at 90, so this seems to support the idea that casters have lower melee caps than melee, and possibly vice versa. And one could say that a plate wearing cleric is a little more designed for a bit of melee than a druid, hense maybe why my skills are only -5cap while yours is -10cap. But again, this is just speculation.

Another possible issue is, are you referring to the skill showing in your skills window, or the skill-up messages in your chat log?

I ask this because I also noticed an issue on my cleric that might be related or totally unrelated. I'll give the details and you can make the call on that. I'm using the default UI that comes with the Titanium client after the p1999 files are applied.

What's happened to me is (and this was present during my earlier levels as well), is that the number in my skills window and the chat message were not the same. For my 1h blunt (which is the only weapon skill I've worked up), it shows in red and as a lower number in my skills window, and often not as a multiple of 5 either. Like now at level 18, my combat log shows that I skilled-up to 90, while the skill window shows it in red as 76. I have no debuff or any other thing I can think of that would lower it (not overweight, tried taking off shield, etc).

I did some forum digging the other day about it, and while I didn't find a definitive answer, people seemed to think the red skill window number is just a display anomaly caused by the client for some reason, and that the number used in any actual combat calcs is that 90 skill that the combat log showed for me. I hope that is correct, but thus far I haven't been able to find anyone to say for sure.

Also, you can find info about the max level caps for class by skill here:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Skills

Stormhowl
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
According to the Project 1999 wiki, priest classes have their weapon skills cap lower than melee and hybrids.

WAR, MNK, PAL, SHD, RNG all cap according to this formula: 5*(Level+1)
SHM, CLR, DRU all cap according to this formula: 4*(Level+1)
NEC, WIZ, ENC, and MAG all cap according to this formula: 3*(Level+1)

e.g., my 16 Shaman has a cap of 4*(16+1) or 68 on Piercing, which it has failed to go over in several hours of smacking stuff, while a melee class of the same level would have a cap of 85.

Following this formula, a cap of 40 for a level 9 druid is accurate. You're capped for your level. Therefore, weapon skills aren't bugged.

Like now at level 18, my combat log shows that I skilled-up to 90, while the skill window shows it in red as 76. I have no debuff or any other thing I can think of that would lower it (not overweight, tried taking off shield, etc).

Your cap for your level is 76. Somehow it's gotten over your cap; the red number just means that's what you're stuck with until you level up, and it'll automatically jump up to 80 when you hit level 19 (and the number will still be in red)

Duma
06-16-2011, 11:40 PM
This just in...

Different classes have different skill caps in MMO's.

raf
06-17-2011, 03:50 AM
SHM, CLR, DRU all cap according to this formula: 4*(Level+1)
Ah ok, yeah that makes sense then. The skilling up to 90 must just be a part of the normal EQ-Emu system or such, but then the real calc kicks it down to what it's supposed to be, so that red number is what should be being used server-side too.

Tiggles
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
This just in...

Different classes have different skill caps in MMO's.

Stormhowl
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Ah ok, yeah that makes sense then. The skilling up to 90 must just be a part of the normal EQ-Emu system or such, but then the real calc kicks it down to what it's supposed to be, so that red number is what should be being used server-side too.

Aye, and the red numbers will show up if you, say, cap your skills, then die and delevel. It'll reduce your skills temporarily to your previous level's cap and show a red number.

Not sure why you can normally level your skills over the cap (My level 6 monk can max HTH, and then it'll turn red and he'll skill it up another 5 points for some strange reason), so I can understand the confusion there.

Werlop
06-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Basically the skill window shows your real skill that the server uses. This client is not classic and therefore shows you skilling over the classic caps, but the server caps you at the classic max for your level and uses that number (displayed in your skill window) for calculations.