PDA

View Full Version : Everquest, the 4th generation. Dawn of the Age of Information

Akim
06-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Was watching this for a class ..

http://www.objectivity.com/media/data-fusion-and-network-centric-warfare/default.asp

Really technical shit (boring to most people - unless you're into learning) but read the timeline 5:30 min in ~~ it's pretty cool that the 4th generation of gaming is summed up by the great Everquest. As we said goodbye to the age of industrialism.

EDIT:

After watching check out how this has evolved in a short peroid of time, we are in a new era of "darkness", meaning government spying and private entities working for the government and world governments.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=13695

A short excerpt,
the FBI is deploying spyware called a "computer internet protocol address verifier," or CIPAV, designed to infiltrate a target's computer and gather a wide range of information, "which it sends to an FBI server in eastern Virginia." While the documents do not detail CIPAV's capabilities, an FBI affidavit from a 2007 case indicate it gathers and reports,

a computer's IP address; MAC address; open ports; a list of running programs; the operating system type, version and serial number; preferred internet browser and version; the computer's registered owner and registered company name; the current logged-in user name and the last-visited URL.

After sending the information to the FBI, the CIPAV settles into a silent "pen register" mode, in which it lurks on the target computer and monitors its internet use, logging the IP address of every server to which the machine connects.

-- This is called "going dark" and might I add this is LESS THAN TWO YEARS after the video in the first link was created, and we've had TWO more years since this second link. Now we're clear this is leading into the "praised" (and EXTREMELY UNSAFE) Cloud or Internet 2. Which I'll post when I find reliable sources for ya.

Lavahorn
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Interesting

bakkily
06-16-2011, 09:41 AM
hey im glad you posted this, quite interesting while soloing

jerok88
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
hey im glad you posted this, quite interesting while soloing

Either this or netflix lol

Akim
06-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Cool responses, didn't expect it really but I thought I'd share it with you all.

I'll throw some more in my main post as they come to me, better to feed your brain then numb it with Hollywood.

bakkily
06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
yea share more of these vids, i just finished it while getting my ranger drunk and fishing =}

fun times

stormlord
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
My first reaction to this was: How does Everquest have anything to do with objectivity or anything serious?

Then I started watching the video.

It's very interesting. Have a look at this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_8-pjuctM&feature=channel_video_title

There're goods and bads with every change. There're things that will die and resurface. There're things that will die and stay dead. Therer're things that die, stay that way, yet are remembered. There're things that survive. But most importantly, it's a mixture just like a chemistry experiment. It's hard to isolate things. So it's like things live or die as a subset of something else. When you look at evolution, certain species died off, but if you look at their DNA you see that broad parts of it still remain one way or another in other species. If we don't understand this then we would discard the dna which houses even greater distinction and shows us that changes are hard to isolate from other things. I guess what I'm saying here is that it's hard to direct evolution, but it's easy by comparison to understand it after it has already happened. The tricky part, I think, is in not KNOWING too well what's good and bad. Evolution is more complex than that.

So anyway, I liked how this video called these generations digital immigrants. That's really what's going on here. It's not the end of productivity or the end of civilization as we know it. It's the changing of things, not the end. How this change happens could be smooth or not smooth. I can't say for sure whether everything about the information age is good because I don't think everything is. But whether we can stop this from happening or not or whether we should try to is something I would rather not touch because I feel it's outside of my sphere of influence. If I was god or somebody who had a clearer grasp on it, I think I might be more assertive about throwing away the computer or shutting off the internet, but I think from my standpoint that the internet offers us good things just about as much as it has given us bad things. But I think history is similar. It's good and bad too. My mind is too small to take sides.

I think that, broadly, we've all jumped into the deep end as digital immigrants. Some of us will survive and some of us won't. But what happens to the digital age itself will be reflected by the sum total of everything, not by a single persons success or failure in their attempts to adapt. We can take specific examples of failure and then claim that this evolution in broader terms has failed. But as I said a few paragraphs above, failure often has within something of even greater distinction and when you can see that you will find that the reasons for things are hard to separate from each other and time, by far, is a much more effective test.

In any case, as we immigrate to the digital world we will take our wars with us.

PS: That Doonesbury comic was too true.

bakkily
06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
me myself, am only 22, but i stick with all the old games ive played in my teens, read alot of the same books, but yea i do have a pos phone, just because its easy to get things together with friends, find out about parties ect ect

but my parents, they wont ever get a cell phone, though my pops is into the mmo genre becasue he grew up playing dnd redbox to adnd, and now we're doing 3.5 rules dnd, but it depends, with new things coming it, its either adapt, or you dont got a clue whats going on, and everything in our world is changing, changing so fast we have to re-adapt ourselves