PDA

View Full Version : Tending the Herd (A newb's tale)

Mirakk82
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
So I recently recruited two of my RL friends to play on the server (yay!). They were interested because I always used to regale them with tales of how much harder things were "back in my day" in MMO gaming. They've been coddled by games like WoW and Rift, so I wanted to show them what the real deal is all about. By chance, I found this server, and have been in love with it since.

Well, as we know, EQ doesn't hold your hand like other games. This is a loose transcript of the conversation I had with my friend over facebook chat.

Friend> Okay, I'm logged in. I made a Dark Elf Magician.
Me> Awesome!
Friend> Umm, what am I supposed to do?
Me> What's in your inventory?
Friend> Food, Water, A Dagger, A note, a book, and 2 scrolls.
Me> Okay, equip the dagger. Destroy the book immediately.

(Explanation of how to scribe spells that I'll spare everyone here)

Friend> Okay, now what?
Me> Read the note!
Friend> It says I'm supposed to give it to "soandso"
Me> Look around, do you see them?
Friend> Yes!
Me> Okay, give it to them.
Friend> I got a robe!
Me> Yup, put it on.
Friend> Okay, now what?
Me> Go out there and become a hero!
Friend> Ummmm, where do I get my first quest?
Me> Your first quest is to find your way outside the city. The reward is xp. Good luck!

lol, expectations used to be so different. I didn't think it would be so counter intuitive for a normally very intelligent person. But, that's what the current generation of MMORPGs is producing. People who need constant instructions in order to function.

Use this thread to post tales of your own encounters with noobs, so we can all have a good chuckle!

gnomishfirework
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I read this post on this game forum about some guy telling his boyfriend how to play everquest.

it sucked.

Tiggles
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I stopped having friends play Eq they always quit.

Eyeke
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I've geared up so many friends just to have them quit. never had one get to level 20 even being PL'd

Only one who ever did anything was the one who actually got me playing in 99.. but I can't get him to come back to this. he's playing DDO (wtf)

Atmas
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I stopped having friends play Eq they always quit.

I gave it one last shot with this server. Pretty much down to 1 out of 4.

One of them was a guy who never played EQ before so we pretty much all knew he wasn't going to make it.

Dantes
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I had about 5 buddies start characters when I got started here, only 2 of them stuck around.

Ektar
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I started p99 with an entourage of 4. The group relatively quickly dwindled down to 2. then 1 several months later. then 0. then back to 1 again.

good times I feel so happy to tell my tale.

Mirakk82
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow, you guys are depressing. Go outside and get some sunlight or something ;)

Slave
06-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow, you guys are depressing. Go outside and get some sunlight or something ;)

What, and get skin cancer? You're stoopid.

vznos
06-23-2011, 09:19 PM
In the process of getting my roommate to play and possibly her brother. Fingers crossed we'll all be around in a couple months~

fuark
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I got someone to play for about 2 minutes. He spammed me saying how terrible the graphics are and how WoW movement is so much better. Then he /quit and never got back on.

Harrison
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
My RL crew stuck around for quite a while. They were all EQ veterans though.

Ektar
06-23-2011, 10:19 PM
In the process of getting my roommate to play and possibly her brother. Fingers crossed we'll all be around in a couple months~

any female players are required to check in with me when they start playing. They get some of my pp as incentive.

Tiggles
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
any female players are required to check in with me when they start playing. They get some of my pp as incentive.

i get it

soup
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I had 4 friends recruited. One had never played EQ before and got to level 10 which surprised me he even got that far. Another got to level 9 having never played before and it wasn't surprising he got that far nor quit.

One was a massive hardcore vet who quit at 35. Another was one who had played just a bit and got to 35 then quit. The two who quit at 35 grouped together little to not at all.

Why did I even type this horribly uninteresting tale that no one cares about?

Ektar
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I CARE SOUP

soup
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I CARE SOUP

me too bro, me tooooo

Dravingar
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
I had like 5 or 6 real life friends start playing a while ago, dropped a good amount of cash on them(Jboots, solro sets, etc). I'm the only one playing now, friends are jerks.

San
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM
My old roomate got me to start playing about 6 months after EQ came out. I got 5 friends on this work crew I was on to play shortly after and he got a couple on his work crew as well, along with my gf and a co-workers gf. We were all graveyard shift at a grocery store in 99-02 and had an awesome time playing since with all of us there was usually someone you knew to group with. I remember one morning getting out of work one of the guys said I will meet you all in the Rathe Mountains to do some hunting in about an hour. The daytime manager asked me what we were hunting and how far were the Rathe Mountains. The look on her face when I tried to explain was priceless. Confusion mixed with rolling eyes. Back to sort of the topic... I got that same friend to come here a few weeks ago and it looks like he will be here to stay as well. We are broke as a joke with all that new spell buying and getting some bronze / banded for characters, but that is all part of the fun. Not kill 6 rats, 4 deer, and a couple bears for some quest, etc and get yourself armored up in half a day.

Extunarian
06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Not kill 6 rats, 4 deer, and a couple bears for some quest....

Why doesn't EQ have deer anyway? For that matter, why don't the farmers in the karanas have livestock? I'd really like to fight a cow but I think I'd lose irl.

Knuckle
06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
i recruited my brother, 2 rl friends, and my current girlfriend at the time, to vztz. Well 6 months down the road, the 2 rl friends had quit, me and the girl had some drama(she wanted to go to howling stones, I said we needed to focus on sebilis). And well, before you know it, were playing EQ in different houses and didn't talk in game/irl for 3 months. She finally quit playing and we got back together, now the only games we play together are World of Warcraft and Jumanji. My brother quit and joined the army, said he wanted to make something out of himself. I cried that day, I lost my eq partner in crime, we had been through so much together, those quiet nights in lower guk grinding away at the monk epic brings tears to my eyes still.