PDA

View Full Version : Paladin help

eastadam55
06-24-2011, 01:40 AM
I'm creating a paladin and was wondering where I should put my stats into.

Supaskillz
06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
not toally sure, but I would assume STA

Doors
06-24-2011, 02:46 AM
What race?

Fromage
06-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Doesn't mater which race, STA all the way.

P.S if you choose half elf or high elf, make deity Tunare.

DevGrousis
06-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Doesn't mater which race, STA all the way.

P.S if you choose half elf or high elf, make deity Tunare.

Can you elaborate? Just curious.

greatdane
06-24-2011, 04:03 AM
There's a quest for a Tunare-only paladin sword (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4646) in Velious. There's some kind of falchion as well, but it's not that great.

Ektar
06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
well high elf can only do tunare. but yeah deity is relatively unimportant all the way except for that sword. so do that for half elf.

stats go stamina. anything left over you can be creative I guess. if you go elf, go str.

and by "left over" I mean any points it won't let you put into stamina.

Ektar
06-24-2011, 08:10 AM
if you're minmaxing, choose dorf

soup
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Make sure AGI is not under 75. If it is under 75, you take an AC hit.

Ektar
06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I think no paladin race can go under 75. but yes, do that

Stormhowl
06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I think no paladin race can go under 75. but yes, do that

Dwarves and Erudites will need +5 Agility at character creation to hit 75, but yes, every other race will be at or above 75.

Edit: I retract my previous statement. The Symbol is CLR only. Bleh.

Mirakk82
06-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Having played a Dwarf Paladin in Kunark era and beyond, I'll offer a bit of my insight.

Personally I made sure to have 75 agi as others have stated. Then I dropped all the rest into Wisdom. I did this for extra mana. Paladins do not get the best mana pool, so we need all we can get. If you're in a situation where you're dropping heals or doing any buffing, you will blow through your mana very quickly.

But let's pretend you're not doing these things. Maybe you have a cleric in the group? For aggro you will be cycling through 3 different stuns ultimately, while constantly using Yaulp. This means you will be leaking mana in small amounts over time. Unlike a Warrior tank, this means you will ultimately need to take a med break which slows down the group. (Trust me, people get impatient)

Stats like strength and stamina are easier for a paladin to get at high values, but Wisdom is much trickier to do this with.

That's my reasoning anyway. Hope this helps!

Ektar
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
don't put any points in wisdom. max mana is only important in a dire situation when you need to expend all the mana you can (and, let's face it, when you're RELYING on a paladin's mana, you're probably against the ropes already). In a consistent exp group, it's mana regeneration that matters. Whether you have 1500 or 2500 mana, if your mana out is more than your mana in, you're going to need a med break. Having extra mana to spare will not make you a better tank.

In groups, my mana is above 80m at all times. If it ever drops below that, I need to rethink my strategy (unless there was a big pull or otherwise out of the ordinary event, in which case it must return to 80 on its own without a sissy med break).

Mirakk82
06-24-2011, 01:54 PM
To each their own. Just giving my advice as a 60 paladin. Stam is another good way to go but easy to max out anyway. Having the extra bump helps when gearing up though to be sure.

Slave
06-24-2011, 01:59 PM
To each their own. Just giving my advice as a 60 paladin. Stam is another good way to go but easy to max out anyway. Having the extra bump helps when gearing up though to be sure.

Stamina is NOT easy to max out, on most any race/class combo.

Arrisard
06-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Gonna echo some sentiments.

Make sure AGI is over 75, and then dump the rest into STA. WIS doesn't help you generate mana faster, Ektar is dead on in his assessment about regen/pool. Max HP does, however, become more mana efficient for the cleric as you get that higher and higher.

In the end it really isn't getting worth bent out of shape over, the difference small stat increases make is so paltry.