PDA

View Full Version : strange SK weapon question!

Seeatee
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
i have been playing my SK again, as a tank I know it is my role to dps as well as hold agro, that being said my primary concern is holding agro, I do not have the money to get a haste item and probably will not for some time.

would it be a waste as a SK to invest in a weapon like a SSoY or a sarnak war hammer to use for tanking? to help generate extra agro? as far as I am concerned you can never have too much agro, or would i be better off going with something like a MoSS?

Supaskillz
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
as an SK I dont think you will be losing aggro much, if any, so I would just go with a weapon that does good dps.

Bodeanicus
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Your disease cloud line of spells will be your main tool for holding aggro, not your weapons.

Slave
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
as an SK I dont think you will be losing aggro much, if any, so I would just go with a weapon that does good dps.

Such as a two-hander or even a Wurmslayer.

Ektar
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
everything in your question is wrong.

not in the I'm being a dick way, of course. Just your approach to the class must adjust.

as just said above, you won't be losing agro much. Your ability to build agro comes from your spellcasting; you, seriously, could go in there with hand-to-hand.

Further, fo'srs, hybrids don't really need haste belts - their dps is shit and relatively unimportant. People just get haste belts because it does make them better.

No, don't get a yak. get a good sk weapon and shield (if 1h).

Pescador
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Enough boss wipes happen at 1% for me to argue that hybrid dps is indeed relevant. Every little bit helps, and you never know when 10-20% extra damage from a paladin is going to make the difference.

Seeatee
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
everything in your question is wrong.

not in the I'm being a dick way, of course. Just your approach to the class must adjust.

as just said above, you won't be losing agro much. Your ability to build agro comes from your spellcasting; you, seriously, could go in there with hand-to-hand.

Further, fo'srs, hybrids don't really need haste belts - their dps is shit and relatively unimportant. People just get haste belts because it does make them better.

No, don't get a yak. get a good sk weapon and shield (if 1h).

yea, I played a war on live for 7 years, so I guess I still think like a war not a knight, I will probably just get a MoSS and not sweat haste until I get the chance to get one via a drop.

Ektar
06-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Enough boss wipes happen at 1% for me to argue that hybrid dps is indeed relevant. Every little bit helps, and you never know when 10-20% extra damage from a paladin is going to make the difference.

yeah I never said you should go without a weapon. It's just relatively not important when considering more important factors. relative does not mean the same as if the word were not there.

baalzy
06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Moss/Wurmslayer will both serve you well 20-40ish. Then you'd wanna look for an Ebon Mace which is basically the best weapon you'll use until Velious (1hander wise). Noct. Blade is nice too as an intermediary until you get up to an Ebon.

Disease Cloud/Siphon Strength will hold your agro just fine. Aside from that, just bulk up your hp/ac as much as you can while leveling up. Once you're 50+ you can consider putting together another set of gear that is more DPS oriented for raiding and not tanking. This is of course if you intend on grouping. If you're planning to solo more then you'd obviously want the more str, haste, and a solid 2hander to DPS more while fear kiting.

As far as haste goes, forget it and get a HBC/TBB and wait till you get up to sky and get a free belt.

Edit: I see you're already lvl 40, and you have a mage. You should easily be able to afford a Noct blade/Ebon mace. Also, you'll be able to go to the planes soon. In VD our most recent SK to join got most if not all of his planar armor in a week (including sky belt).

Raavak
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Screw the wurmslayer, especially if you're tanking. Use a shield and the 1her, at least until the epic.

baalzy
06-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Wurmslayer gives AC & lets you still hold a shield & has a decent damage ratio (about the same as a MoSS).

There is only 1 1hander a SK can use with more AC and it has a AOE proc on it and is a weaker ratio.

Swish
06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Weapons this that and the other...

Disease cloud at the start of the fight, disease cloud at 50% mob health (or 66% and 33% if you've got lots of rogues stabbing behind the mob), and it works a charm... don't even need a large mana pool to maintain constant pulls.

As a first line fix for adds with no CC in the group, use "Wave of Enfeeblement" (AOE) - its crappy aggro but it gets the mobs off the puller, just try to get them DC'd before your healer heals you (tricky sometimes :P).

Ektar
06-24-2011, 07:05 PM
why at start and 50? why not 2 at the start? I don't know, but I just assumed, that agro (for DC and stun etc at least) is just a numeric value, and not based on anyone else's agro

Seeatee
06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
one more question, now that kunark is out is it worth while to use a 2 hander to tank as a SK or should I always go sword and board while tanking? green jade halberd looks like it has a pretty awesome ratio along with a few stats, 50 HP , and isnt all that pricey, thoughts?

falkun
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
AC > HPs > STA are the "get hit" stats, with priority in that order.

Since you are an SK, you do not need to worry about proc weapons/dex like a warrior does. Your aggro comes from spells.

Wurmslayer has the 3rd highest 1HS ratio in the game, tied for 2nd highest AC out of any weapon (@ 5AC), and is easy/cheap to obtain. It also will allow you to still wield a shield for additional stats (AC, HPs, STA). Its a damned good knight weapon.

Raavak
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
AC > HPs > STA are the "get hit" stats, with priority in that order.

Right on. [see http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41162]

Wurmslayer has the 3rd highest 1HS ratio in the game, tied for 2nd highest AC out of any weapon (@ 5AC), and is easy/cheap to obtain. It also will allow you to still wield a shield for additional stats (AC, HPs, STA). Its a damned good knight weapon.

So damned slow I can't stand it, maybe its a personal thing (maybe its not as bad here since you don't have to chase down fleeing mobs so much). Yeah but use one until you get something better. Good quality/price ratio if there is such a thing.

Motec
06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
speed is irrelevent. The 'feel of a weapon? Are you kidding.

DPS is what matters, if you get that dps from a 100 delay weapon or a 10 delay weapon is irrelevent aside from hitting on the very first swing. Any lack in dps is more aggro you need to hold with spells.

Doors
06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Get a noct blade or moss and just spam disease cloud for aggro. SK's don't have aggro issues usually.

Nirgon
06-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Your 1handers should be a Mace of Shadow Soul (these become over abundant towards mid-end of kunark), Nocti Blade, and if you're lucky Shard of Night (better ratio than epic... proc is another story.. small races of course..).

Disease cloud is your ace in the hole. Bash is really nice to have also, try to get an MoSS (or the pricier ones listed if you can) as any race really grouping.

Seeatee
06-29-2011, 11:29 AM
MoSS is actually what I wanted, but I have never seen one for sale, or really even heard of one going up for sale.

baalzy
06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
It's not as good as the Ebon mace and is also a pain in the butt to farm. Once epics are in and people need to farm jade reavers then maybe more MoSS' will hit the market.

Kastro
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Just Reroll as an Ogre and go with 2 handers...

falkun
06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Just Reroll as an Ogre and go with 2 handers...

Even an ogre SK will want to pump up as much AC as ogre-ly possible.

Raavak
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
speed is irrelevent. The 'feel of a weapon? Are you kidding.

Speed is relevent when you are chasing a fleeing mob hoping you swing, like some sort of Chinese Water Torture. Most noticable in mob-packed dungeons. Though SKs have darkness, everyone forgets now and again.

Disease Cloud and Asystole are all you need for aggro.

Nirgon
06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Someone hook ole Roge up with the epic code/scripts, they're working on other boxes I've played..

Zeelot
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Ebon Mace is the best SK dps 1hander. You'll get the best dps out of chain tapping though.

This is why aggro weapons are good to have on raid encounters; you can rely less on disease cloud/invoke fear if you get some good procs off and you can focus on chain tapping to patch yourself to get some real dps in.

karsten
06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
just thought i'd spice this thread up by saying that paladins blind what they want to $$$$$$$$$$$$$

baalzy
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
just thought i'd shit this thread up by saying that paladins blind what they want to $$$$$$$$$$$$$

ftfy

Swish
06-30-2011, 01:46 AM
why at start and 50? why not 2 at the start? I don't know, but I just assumed, that agro (for DC and stun etc at least) is just a numeric value, and not based on anyone else's agro

I think its a combination of things.

1. Personal preference - I'm sure you could do 2 at the start, but from experience refreshing your aggro at 50% is peace of mind that its not going anywhere but on you.

2. Concentration - People love to zone out while playing, too many now (compared to 1999) seem to have the TV on in the background or something. A disproportionate number seem to have dogs to walk and doors to answer... its just something that helps me keep my focus. Doing 2 at the start and zoning out might lead me to look away for a moment and miss some adds.

3. Something that can't quite be explained. I'm sure having 2 rogues or 1 rogue/1 monk means that doing 2 at the start just isnt enough - spreading DC's a bit more just seems to work better.

(drifting from SK weapons, but really...no SK should be struggling with aggro, a proc or whatever really isn't a requirement).

greatdane
06-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Your weapon doesn't matter at all for the purpose of tanking. You can hold aggro without a weapon - I used to tank Vindi without auto-attack on, just spamming aggro spells, to reduce incoming riposte damage. You'll still want the best weapon you can get so you actually do damage while leveling, so just get whatever you can afford. I'd say MoSS, but it never seems to be for sale. Wurmslayer will do fine if you can't afford Ebon Mace or Noct Blade. If you can't even afford a Wurmy, get that 30/40 SK 2hb, can't remember what it's called.

Slave
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
MoSS is actually what I wanted, but I have never seen one for sale, or really even heard of one going up for sale.

Noctivagant Blade looks better and has a superior ratio.