PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about character creation!

Oscar
06-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Hello, i'm new here, :) i played eq years ago and i have alot of good and special memories about it. I am grateful to the people who made this possible, to play a great game like this and relive magic moments. I know my english leaves much to be desired so be patient with me please.

Probabily someone will be offended with this post, well, i searched in this forum and others and i get very information about this, but maybe your opinions clarify more my ideas

I want to create a barbarian rogue, i read people who thinks that put 25points into sta and the rest into str is the way to go, and i understand the reasons, there's people too who think that 25points into str and 5 into sta is better because you can concentrate more on hp items that can give you more hp points than stamina, the same doubts i have in the case of a necromancer, isn't better to put 25 points into int and the rest 5 in sta? sta points in the casters dont give so much hp points while the int gives very mana pool more. What do u think guys about this? Also i dont know what deity choose, i supose the agnostic its fine because the faction but i'm not sure because i can't find information about what are the advantages of the others.

Thanks for your time and dedication!

falkun
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
INT, WIS, and STR are probably the easiest stats to max in classic EQ. STA, HP, dex, agi are all harder to max with classic gear. Most reroll twinks focus more on STA/HP and less on primary DPS stats because they can make those up in gear. If you are a new char on the server that will be untwinked, you are better off being more balanced between DPS stats and STA/HPs.

For religion, you are safest being agnostic when you are able to. However, there are a few cases where religion is good (the following list is not comprehensive):
- worshippers of Innoruuk can quest a haste neck clicky (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Innoruuk_Symbol_Quests).
- HIE and HEF Tunarian paladins can quest Nature's Defender (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=883) in Velious (Plane of Growth).
- Worshippers of Rallos Zek supposedly have an easier time with the giant faction in Velious.

I'm sure there are other reasons to pick someone other than agnostic, but agnostic is always a safe bet if possible.

quellren
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind, that for a rogue the target number to shoot for its actually only 186 str, because endgame str buffs will bump you to or very near the 255 hardcap.

I went 25stam/5 str and though I'm moderately well twinked from EC buys I hit 186 without any of the really good gear, honestly without trying that hard.

Admittedly, the 5ac 55hp rings I keep in a bag for 'those days' do more for his hp than the 25 stam, but keep in mind, a dead rogue does zero DPS. That, coupled with str being so easy to stack through gear, is enough for me to put all my starter points in stam.
pump stam

Dr4z3r
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
With reference to the choice of stats for a Necro: Int casters get less than 3 HP/1 STA at max level. That sweet 50-60 hp is extremely easy to sacrifice in favor of freeing up a few gear slots of INT gear that could have +HP instead.

For a Necro, go INT.

baalzy
06-27-2011, 01:30 PM
My experience as a necro, go STR.

I'm not trolling you. I 100% in all seriousness would have gone 20str/10 int or something along those lines if I knew then what I know now.

And the main reason is for hauling loot, I'd be higher level and have more platinum if I'd gone with 20-25 points of str at character creation. Maximum mana don't mean a thang when you regenerate 40+ mana a tick. But being able to haul around 5-6 more high price weapons or a few hundred more coins is invaluable, especially as a non-twink.

As far as the rogue goes, barbarians have HUGE starting str. Even with no points in str from the start you'll be stronger then any other race except for a dwarf that put 25 into str. As long as you put points in either str or sta you probably won't regret it. I do recommend sta over str though, I have a wood elf warrior twink (75 base str) which has 147 str in equipment that took me ~3 days to farm on my necro, I could get it higher too if I wanted to sacrifice AC. All of this equipment is usable by a rogue too, which would put you at 200str if you went all-str on a barb rogue. Throw in the equipment a warrior wouldn't wear and a rogue would and you'd probably be sitting at 220 str, unbuffed, before planar gear.

With that in mind, make your own decision. You don't really get a whole lot out of the sta until way later in the game, and even then it's marginal, but with equipment and shammy buffs you'll max out 255 str easily anyways.

Felwithemagi
06-27-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm not trolling you. I 100% in all seriousness would have gone 20str/10 int or something along those lines if I knew then what I know now.

And the main reason is for hauling loot, <snip>

Probably the best advice I've read.

Fourthmeal
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Hit me up pal, I'll halp you with some starting plat... in game as Fourthmeal

Oscar
06-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Thank you very much for these great tips, you have helped me alot :)
I have another question, for a necromancer, what statistics are more important in order? Maybe int, mana, hp, sta? Also regen above all. Excuse me if i'm a little annoying, but i want to know it :p

baalzy
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
HP -> Int (till 200) -> Mana -> Sta

Lotta HP helps cause u can lich to lower levels while still maintaining a safe HP buffer. At 57 Vexing Mordinia leaches a LOT of health from the mob so you have to be very low in order to maximizing the healing efficiency out of it.

I put stamina last just because there are so few items that have it and it only gives very marginal returns on your hp. 1sta ~2hp at lvl 60 (this is for int casters, shaman/druids/clerics get ~3 per, rogues/monks/rangers/knights i think get 4per and warriors get 5per).

Pre-nerf fungi staff is the only way you'll be able to gain self-regen until Velious, when Zlandicar's heart becomes available. Iksar is the strongest choice for a necromancer purely because of their built-in regen, but that matters more when solo'ing and is much less of an issue when grouping/raiding where you can get regrowth and cleric/druid hp buffs.

Athosblack
06-28-2011, 11:37 AM

And the main reason is for hauling loot, I'd be higher level and have more platinum if I'd gone with 20-25 points of str at character creation.

As a Gnome necro with 69 max weight I agree entirely. I hate that I have to vendor or bank SO OFTEN when I'm soloing cause I can't outrun mobs anymore when encumbered (I rarely, if ever, kite with SOW and have no Jboots...yet).

Also with Lich the mana regen is always constant and with some 55+ HP rings and HP gear and eventually Int gear you wont miss it (I am wholly untwinked, still using the lvl 1 dagger).

Dravingar
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Barb Rogue is pretty pro because you can slam, they look dumb as fuck though. Halfling rogue for life~

Oscar
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
First of all, thanks alot for your attention and help.

I was thinking in create a Iksar because i dont played one never and i like how they look, specially the tail! Also i like the bonus regen too.
About the statistics, i thought that mana was the most important stat (of course int>mana raw or mana raw>int depends of the stat quantity and my lvl) followed by hp ( hp>sta) i dont know so much about this but isn't the lich spells giving less mana of the hp wasted? because i think that i put mana at the first place) so the order and maybe i'm wrong, isn't mana>hp? i want to understand this.

How Baalzy said (thanks alot for the info :D) it appears that 1point of stamina gives 2hp points at lvl 60 in int casters, so at character creation seems to be a waste put 25points into sta, int, in the other hand, give more mana points ( at lvl 60 in int casters i've read its 10 mana for 1 int point, i'm not sure 100%)
Some guys have the opinion that its better raise sta because its a hard stat to max while int isn't, but as Dr4z3r said, the idea of go for int and then focus on hp items atract me. Its good to have stamina but another stats benefits more the necromancer.

I appreciate your advice from experience of rise the str, its one thing probabily i have to deal. I apology for my poor english and one more time, thanks alot for your time and dedication! :)

baalzy
06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
At level 60 you get 10 points of mana per point of int until you reach 200 int. After that you get 5 points of mana per int until you reach 255 int.

Your maximum mana doesn't really matter that greatly, on most raids and in most groups unless I'm purposely blowing my mana just to use it up I have 80-100% mana at all times and have to actively hunt down people who aren't FM so I can twitch them. I would feel pretty confident in saying you could put 0 points into Int as an iksar, wear the best +hp item for every slot and still have plenty of mana to do everything you want to do.

Lich does use more HP then it gives you in mana, but your lifetap spells at 49+ heal enough for the amount of mana they cost to make up for it. This is on a race that doesn't have innate regeneration. I can stand while in lich mode and lifetap periodically and eventually get to the point where I'm at full mana and nearly full health. I'm a gnome.

As an iksar your lich becomes even more efficient because your HP regeneration is that much higher naturally.

Oscar
06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you very much Baalzy, i think i will enjoy this class alot :D

If for a necro 25 sta is 50hp at lvl 60 and 25int is 250mana at lvl 60 (until 200int) probabily i can lifetap that quantity of life with the mana obtained raising the int at the start, and as i play untwinked because its my first character and i supose iksar dont have so much mana pool at the beginning, i choose 25int 5 sta, this will work for me.

Stamina is the last stat i'm concerned while i have hp/mana items to get that benefits me more (depends on what i need most at the moment) maybe i dont understand so much the mechanics (or gameplay if you prefer) of the necromancer but actually thats the idea i have.

I am grateful for your help, have a nice day! :)