PDA

View Full Version : Pet buff timers?

fuark
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Just had a question for the rest of you pet users. I seem to remember in classic that when a buff wore off your pet it would announce that the buff had faded (I could be wrong). Is there a way to turn this on in the UI or with some sort of command? Augment Death should be lasting 12-15 minutes, but at the moment it seems like it's lasting only about 6-8 minutes, so I'd really like to get this turned on so I could see whether it's really lasting the full duration or whether my mind is playing tricks on me.

If anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated, thanks!

LazyFuj
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Pet worn off buffs were not classic.

Stormhowl
06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't remember this coming in until sometime during Luclin, or perhaps even post-PoP era. Even DoT damage notifications aren't classic, now that I think about it...

The only way you're going to have a time for pet buffs is to buff yourself either with the exact same buff first (so when it wears off you, you know its worn off the pet), or use a spell with the same duration as your pet buff.

Or, keep track of it manually with an egg timer or something. Sucks, I know, but... well, you get used to it. :3

fuark
06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Hmm a friend and I both recalled this and we only played through velious, though I guess we were wrong. Maybe it was DAoC or something who knows.

My only reason was that it doesnt seem like the pet augment spells are lasting their full duration and I wanted to see how long it was actually staying on the pet. Oh well, will just keep casting it once it seems like the pets DPS dives.

Thanks.

Stormhowl
06-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Hmm a friend and I both recalled this and we only played through velious, though I guess we were wrong. Maybe it was DAoC or something who knows.

My only reason was that it doesnt seem like the pet augment spells are lasting their full duration and I wanted to see how long it was actually staying on the pet. Oh well, will just keep casting it once it seems like the pets DPS dives.

Thanks.

My memory isn't what I'd like it to be so, who knows, you could be right.

As for pet augment spells, you mean like the "Burnout" line for mages and "Intensify Death" line for necros? The "Burnout" line, according to the wiki (and my old Kunark Prima guide, yes I still have it!) both say that spell lasts 15 minutes, where as the Necromancer "Intensify Death" line only lasts 1 minute + 6sec/level (according to the Prima guide, which matches exactly with the data from the wiki).

It doesn't give any information on Augment Death though, but the above formula (1 min + 6sec/level) matches your perception of it being about 6 minutes before it fades, which does go against what the wiki has. /shrug

Maybe there is an issue?

Messianic
06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
The level 24 necro pet buff lasts like 5-6 minutes. Pretty sure that's classic, despite what the wiki says - the level 39 necro pet buff lasts 15.

An easy way to do it is to cast a dirt cheap self-buff at around the same time and use it as a pseudo-clock if you don't want to use a regular stopwatch.

etplante
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
I just use lich as a timer for my pet buff. It costs pretty much no mana and lasts a little over 15 minutes so it's easy to synch up. Whenever lich is winding down I know it's time to haste pet again.

Felwithemagi
06-28-2011, 11:48 AM
The messages used to display in classic, but some like burnout never did, which lead to endless debate about how long the buff actually lasted. But it doesn't seem to work the same here.

Also, a magician summoned pet will instantly 'buff' itself -- fire with ds and air with invis. Whereas in classic it could take the pet several minutes to do so.

Vicatin
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Old post bump. Specifically Augment death is not lasting the 12 minutes the wiki states. I have tested it and 6-7 minutes appears to be the max duration.

diplo
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
My memory isn't what I'd like it to be so, who knows, you could be right.

As for pet augment spells, you mean like the "Burnout" line for mages and "Intensify Death" line for necros? The "Burnout" line, according to the wiki (and my old Kunark Prima guide, yes I still have it!) both say that spell lasts 15 minutes, where as the Necromancer "Intensify Death" line only lasts 1 minute + 6sec/level (according to the Prima guide, which matches exactly with the data from the wiki).

It doesn't give any information on Augment Death though, but the above formula (1 min + 6sec/level) matches your perception of it being about 6 minutes before it fades, which does go against what the wiki has. /shrug

Maybe there is an issue?

there's a quote somewhere from nilbog that burnout lasts 6 min, about the same length as the DS.

Vicatin
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
there's a quote somewhere from nilbog that burnout lasts 6 min, about the same length as the DS.

Havent looked into the mage line, i was talking about the necro line.

falkun
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Wiki's wrong. Pet window needs to go away too.

'Tis true, but that would involve another client modification, vis-a-vis the patch that disabled the map UI element.

diplo
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Havent looked into the mage line, i was talking about the necro line.

they're both identical.