PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Luclin graphics

tekniq
06-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Just want to see what people are using - someone told me that you have the option to run new graphics, but i personally don't fancy them.

Stormhowl
06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Nope. Even with the upgraded textures, the Luclin models just don't... "fit" with the world, and I find that their animations are a bit unusual and stiff, like everyone has a Cracked Staff up their butt. They just look shoddy for something that was cooked up in late 2001.

The old models are nostalgic and they have a certain charm to them that makes them lovable. :3

Gustahn
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Never would use them. The classic models look better and have flowing animations.

Luclin era all look like giant torsos with bent pipe cleaners attached. The faces are morphed and look like soulless dummies.

Doors
06-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Even though the old graphics are pretty shitty I prefer them to luclin models.

gnomishfirework
06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Even though the old graphics are pretty shitty I prefer them to luclin models.

This. I don't really care much either way though. If you had to do extra work to have not luclin models, I'd just stick to the luclin models. I still have luclin pet models on for mages even though I prefer the old models (for nostalgia and they are hilarious).

Nocte
06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
I'd use them if it were easier to activate them. Downloading a whole new client with a ton of bugs isn't worth it.

Rhambuk
06-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Absolutely not, I played live up until Omens of War or so and I never used luclin models.

They're just so awful

Stormhowl
06-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Absolutely not, I played live up until Omens of War or so and I never used luclin models.

They're just so awful

But how could you not love that awkward, stiff looking Karate chop animation every race used for off-hand attacks? ;)

Or the weird squatting-in-the-forest-taking-a-dump animation Barbarian Shamans used for some of their spells? Hah

Messianic
06-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Some of the luclin models are clearly superior (Ogre/Troll)...but even for their era, they seemed like half-measures and didn't get enough effort put into them.

Rhambuk
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Some of the luclin models are clearly superior (Ogre/Troll)...but even for their era, they seemed like half-measures and didn't get enough effort put into them.

Trolls are supposed to be fat, not have scoliosis and an ethiopian popbelly

guineapig
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Trolls are supposed to be fat, not have scoliosis and an ethiopian popbelly

Although you must admit, they are a likely candidate for tapeworms... which at the very least would explain the belly. ;)

falkun
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Why classic models look better than Luclin models:

I hate chopping wood with a 2HS. Slashes should come from over the shoulder.
2HB should actually require 2 hands to use, although I admit some 2HB hammers should use the 2HS animation instead of the 2HB stab.
Running should not involve more distance spent side-stepping than moving forward.
Do Velious armor textures even exist on luclin models? I loved Velious armors and they looked great on classic models.
High elves lost their chainmail skirts and upper-arm guards. Those were awesome.
Half Elves were meant to be Robocop clones.
Plate on elf Luclin models makes the characters look twice as large as they are supposed to.
High Elf classic male Roman plate helmets (and velious textures) look world's better than the Luclin Roman helmet.

Deadmantis
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I am using updated Luclin textures for the zones, just to make everything look more crisp and defined, but I am not using them for the character models. Hell no.

Skope
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
iksar, trolls and ogres looked better with luclin models. Rhambuk i hate you for disagreeing with me.

guineapig
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
iksar, trolls and ogres looked better with luclin models. Rhambuk i hate you for disagreeing with me.

Oh it's on! :p

Ostros
06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Seriously, armor on classic models were the best. I can't wait for Velious, because I don't think I ever got to experience the armor textures from it.

Skope
06-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Oh it's on! :p

i ain't afraid of you either!

i enjoyed some of the luclin models, some were just ugh... the velious armor was fantastic, at least for plate classes. The chain classes got the shaft

Kika Maslyaka
06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Do Velious armor textures even exist on luclin models? I loved Velious armors and they looked great on classic models.

if you compare closely you will see that number of Velious textures become foundation for Luclin textures - this is specially true for DE armor.
SOE actually made a statement back then that with new graphics engine (luclin) it will be now Much easier to create new armor texture variations for any race and any model... Which of course, SOE being SOE, never did...

Personally I like Luclin model for MOST races, except for humans, barbies and shorties, who look almost indistinguishable in Luclin engine (IMHO WoW actually represented Dwarfs and Gnomes way better than EQ ever did)

For DEs I like their plate, but chain and leather looks poor. And I really liked old DE female helmet more, than the new one. Male helmet is uber on other hand

Luclin Robes redesigns on other hand are magnificent

falkun
06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
if you compare closely you will see that number of Velious textures become foundation for Luclin textures - this is specially true for DE armor.

I know that the basis for a lot of Luclin helmets is the Velious helmet on classic models. For most, I'd say the Velious helmets were great (DEF, HIE, HUM), but there are a few where the race went backwards with helmet design (looking at you HEFs).

guineapig
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
i ain't afraid of you either!

No you!

Rhambuk
06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Skope doesn't know what hes talking about, with all of his main switching he doesn't know whats what anymore. I mean the man thinks wizard is a good idea.

Hasbinbad
06-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Just want to see what people are using - someone told me that you have the option to run new graphics
At first I was like:
http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/07/noose2.jpg
but i personally don't fancy them.
But then i was like:
http://images.free-extras.com/pics/c/cute_kittens-465.jpg

Motec
06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I ran luclin graphics only very rarely when I needed a horse for manaregen on an alt/box. Otherwise stuff that. They were hideous

Velious graphics on a dark elf cleric? or human female monk? So much win.

Renk
06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
^ 2nd this

Dantes
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Speaking of Velious armor, are there any screenshots out there of the Velious armors on different races? All of the shots on Zam's are Luclin models.

azeth
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
wood/dark elves, erudites, iksars & barbarians have tolerable Luclin models.

bakkily
06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
i dont get why you still post here azeth if you dont play....most of the luclin models are'nt too bad, but i deff enjoy the older classic models way more

azeth
06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
i dont get why you still post here azeth

well, i quit only due to having 0 time to maintain raid attendance, and i still enjoy reading about EQ and specifically the goings on around P99.

thats all :)

bakkily
06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
sounds like wife agro = no play time for you, and if you still want a meet and greet in the bed with said wife, no eq for you

but yea man come back anytime that wife agro goes away

Atmas
06-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Played a high elf so turned on Luclin for horses. Other races looked fine or better in old graphics.

Trolls and Ogres definitely looked better in old graphics.

Rhambuk
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Speaking of Velious armor, are there any screenshots out there of the Velious armors on different races? All of the shots on Zam's are Luclin models.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6075&highlight=Velious+Texture

jarshale
06-29-2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6075&highlight=Velious+Texture

I forgot how stupid velious armor looked

Aandolaf
06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Some look stupid, and then some look really nice.

http://i.imgur.com/uXmSE.png

More: http://i.imgur.com/IPkwZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/81O0S.png

jarshale
06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
That DE helm is the worst. IMO anyway.

falkun
06-30-2011, 01:03 PM
That DE helm is the worst. IMO anyway.

That DE helm is a saint you shut your whore mouth.

jarshale
06-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Maybe if it only had two of those blades on it.

falkun
06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Beats the hell out of the velious textures for Half elf helmets.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4931/halfelfv.jpg