PDA

View Full Version : AC working properly?

Estu
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I've heard rumors both a long time ago and recently that AC is not working properly on this server, i.e. that worn AC makes very little difference in damage taken. Is this indeed the case? Does anyone have parsed log evidence?

Dlardlar
06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
No

Duie
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
if you wanna test it yourself, ill be glad to get my warrior ou w/ full indo.

need a volenteer with full colbant and one w/ full crafted. they all need to be same level or close to it.

I can then take you to ashenback server and summon all 3 sets so you can see the difrence .

short answer... no it is not. feal free however, to send me a tell and see for yourself.

Nytewind TP
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Wasn't this a problem that monks had from the get go?

Dantes
06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
The type of armor shouldn't matter, right? Just test with different AC amounts. Log some battles, take some gear off, log some more.

baalzy
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
AC might not work the way it did on live, but it definitely does something (at least at the low levels).

I have a pretty nicely twinked level 8 warrior. I can kill yellows and I take very little damage. At 7 I was breaking trainer hill (mobs blue to yellow, one of the pulls brings at least 3 orcs) and holding it because I took so little damage.

Estu
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the replies.

greatdane
06-29-2011, 12:45 AM
AC doesn't help as much as I'd have thought it would, but that could just be my memory fucking with me. I have 770ish unbuffed AC on a level 30 character, and while I'm tanking pretty well, I can't really tell if that extreme AC makes a big difference. I especially think it doesn't help very much against mobs that are higher level than you, and while it's possible that it shouldn't, I thought I'd get better results out of twinking an SK with the highest AC you can get in every slot except chest and legs. Kinda hard to find evidence of how it's supposed to be, though.

Ektar
06-29-2011, 12:50 AM
long ago AC was broken. It counted so little that you basically just got hit for a shitton every time. Long ago AC was fixed. I'd wager to say it's still fixed.

I only chime in to speak to your question about it being broken long ago~

Extunarian
06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I use 3 sets of gear: resist, wis, and ac.

I can tell you that whenever I'm getting hit without the AC stuff, I see waaay more hits for max. Not that this means it is working the same as it was on live, but I think it is much better than when your AC value was basically ignored.

Dantes
06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
You'll notice a huge difference between naked AC and "twinked all to hell" AC, but the difference between 700 and 1000 AC might not be so evident. Beyond the softcap, only a percentage of your AC is effective. And for some classes it's almost completely useless.

Soft Caps
Cloth..........= ~75 worn AC
Leather......= ~100 worn AC
Monk..........= ~120 worn AC
Chain.........= ~200 worn AC
Plate .........= ~300 worn AC

AC returns after the soft cap has been reached
45%: Warrior
33%: Knight, Monk
23%: Cleric, Bard
17%: Ranger
6%: Druid, Enc, Mag, Nec, Wiz

NOTE: these are numbers from live, posted on forums based on quotes from devs or parsing efforts... Not 100% set in stone but given that they try to emulate this as much as possible I would assume they strive to have it work the same way here on P99.

Duma
06-29-2011, 07:07 PM
You'll notice a huge difference between naked AC and "twinked all to hell" AC, but the difference between 700 and 1000 AC might not be so evident. Beyond the softcap, only a percentage of your AC is effective. And for some classes it's almost completely useless.

Soft Caps
Cloth..........= ~75 worn AC
Leather......= ~100 worn AC
Monk..........= ~120 worn AC
Chain.........= ~200 worn AC
Plate .........= ~300 worn AC

AC returns after the soft cap has been reached
45%: Warrior
33%: Knight, Monk
23%: Cleric, Bard
17%: Ranger
6%: Druid, Enc, Mag, Nec, Wiz

NOTE: these are numbers from live, posted on forums based on quotes from devs or parsing efforts... Not 100% set in stone but given that they try to emulate this as much as possible I would assume they strive to have it work the same way here on P99.

Soft caps went in right before PoP. They are not classic and should not be active here now or ever unless this server goes beyond Velious.

Dantes
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh yeah that's right, I just read further in the old threads about AC and found this:

The cap on AC in the Velious era wasn't a soft cap; it was a hard cap that had been there from day 1. After a certain point, which differed for each class, the benefit of more AC didn't just diminish - it dropped to nothing.

The change I referred to, just before PoP, changed that from a hard cap to a soft cap. You get a percentage of the amount over that soft cap. Shields increase both your total and your soft cap, making them more effective than any other item with equal AC. Your mitigation AAs, level, and class also affect the cap and the percentage return for AC over it.

Separate from this, there are diminishing returns if your AC is much greater than the NPC's attack. This is due to the nature of the formulas that produce the probability distributions that have been well documented on this board.

Does that help?

- Kavhok, SOE

So given this info, beyond a certain point AC is basically useless. Does anybody know what those hard caps actually are?

Extunarian
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah that's right, I just read further in the old threads about AC and found this:

"The cap on AC in the Velious era wasn't a soft cap; it was a hard cap that had been there from day 1. After a certain point, which differed for each class, the benefit of more AC didn't just diminish - it dropped to nothing."

So given this info, beyond a certain point AC is basically useless. Does anybody know what those hard caps actually are?

Anyone?

karsten
07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
the AC is broken at both my house and my work, and it's fucking hot, humid, and terrible :(

Nytewind TP
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I would assume AC is better than it was. I remember at/around server launch Monks were getting the $hit stomped out of them due to bad AC. Don't hear that problem anymore.

Extunarian
07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I bumped this because of this question posed by Dantes:

Anyone know the answer? I can make a new thread if people get confused and keep re-answering the OP's question...

Nirgon
07-06-2011, 01:30 PM
AC isn't quite as game breaking in EQ as it is in other games. It does make a big enough difference to matter.

Doors
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Can't say I've got any hard evidence to support anything, but my casters in cloth get absolutely crushed by mobs for max hit nearly every swing where as my plate wearing toons rarely get hit for max hit when fighting appropriate level mobs.

neverquest
08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
if you wanna test it yourself, ill be glad to get my warrior ou w/ full indo.

need a volenteer with full colbant and one w/ full crafted. they all need to be same level or close to it.

I can then take you to ashenback server and summon all 3 sets so you can see the difrence .

short answer... no it is not. feal free however, to send me a tell and see for yourself.

Slave
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm getting absolutely owned on my Shaman with tons of AC at level 24 right now against normal mobs. I have to believe that AC doesn't matter here nearly as much as it did on Live, where AC was the absolute #1 most important thing on many if not most classes.

Messianic
08-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm getting absolutely owned on my Shaman with tons of AC at level 24 right now against normal mobs. I have to believe that AC doesn't matter here nearly as much as it did on Live, where AC was the absolute #1 most important thing on many if not most classes.

I'm pretty sure it's somehow wrong too, given I've twinked multiple melee classes to the hilt with AC and watched them get owned.

But I really don't wanna spend the time trying to find parses and making my own...