PDA

View Full Version : Least downtime?

Krait
07-01-2011, 03:29 AM
What classes are thought to have the least downtime while leveling. Not concerned about experience penalties or group-ability. Just the least downtime while leveling.
Thanks.

Troy
07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Bard and Ranger have zero downtime kiting. Mage has zero in lower levels when you let fire pet do all of the work.

HeallunRumblebelly
07-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Bard and Ranger have zero downtime kiting. Mage has zero in lower levels when you let fire pet do all of the work.

It's also worth noting that ranger kiting is -very- expensive until tolan's bracer, and then not a worthwhile time investment once you are 45+. Bard is alright but there's a limited window, and while it is useful for leveling, you won't accrue much gear that way ;P It's also highly skill based.

That said, necro, enchanter, mage, shm are all great solo classes with minimal downtime, can't miss with any of those really.

soup
07-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Assuming what I can from the basic question asked, I'll say that what you're looking for is a necro.

falkun
07-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Bards have zero downtime while AoE kiting (the fastest leveling in the game, even with a 40% exp penalty). The problem is you will literally be doing the same thing for ~40-50 levels. Also, you will probably be doing it in the same zone for ~25 levels. It gets very monotonous, you do not get any gear and the money is ok, but you will outlevel every other class for the /played time you put in.

FatMagic
07-01-2011, 08:20 AM
When can a shaman solo with lower downtime? At the lower levels >20 it seems to be very group-dependent.

Estu
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Shamans have zero downtime in the very high levels when they get Torpor. Before that, they have downtime, though once you get regen and cannibalize at level 24 a lot of your downtime is spent cannibalizing repeatedly while medding.

I'd agree with the above posters that either bard or necro would qualify. Of the two, necro is a lot more versatile soloing.

Extunarian
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
When can a shaman solo with lower downtime? At the lower levels >20 it seems to be very group-dependent.

From 34 to early 50's there is very little downtime for a shaman. Get a JBB at 46 and you'll really cruise.

For me, in the mid-high 50's I don't suffer from downtime per se, but I do have to throttle DPS based on my mana bar. And there is still occasional downtime when all your buffs go at once.

From my experiences outside the BW giant fort I would say necro's and mages seem to be able to kill mobs faster than I can.

Dr4z3r
07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Bards may have very little downtime, but it takes a LOT of work to get used to the kiting, and a fair bit of concentration when you're actually doing it (I guarantee you, you'll get lazy once per session and die because of it).

When I was kiting as a bard, I wished there was more downtime, because it's really taxing.

deakolt
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Bards may have very little downtime, but it takes a LOT of work to get used to the kiting, and a fair bit of concentration when you're actually doing it (I guarantee you, you'll get lazy once per session and die because of it).

When I was kiting as a bard, I wished there was more downtime, because it's really taxing.

QFT. I had to take breaks between AOE kites on live because the sessions were so intense.

Supaskillz
07-01-2011, 05:49 PM
necros can pretty much chain kite non stop. bards can swarm kite nonstop if you have the endurance lol

Hamahakki
07-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Bards are basically a one-trick pony but they get exp REALLY fast while swarm-kiting.

Iksar necros are probably the best soloers, they can't kill quite as fast as bards but they are a million times more versatile. You can kill lots of blues efficiently, you can kill yellows/reds, you can solo in dungeons, etc... all with basically no downtime due to Darkpact.

Shamans are probably third best. Mages and Enchanters are medium. Wizards and Druids spend the most time sitting on their ass. Melee classes for the most part don't solo well though if you are super twinked you can probably do adequately up through the middle levels.

Also, the question is a little weird. Are you asking who spends the least amount of time medding? Because a Ranger soloing will not have any "downtime" but will still be extremely slow and tedious.

deakolt
07-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Bards are basically a one-trick pony

Have you EVER played a bard????????

lolololololololol

Hamahakki
07-01-2011, 06:11 PM

lolololololololol

This is a thread about soloing without downtime.

Obviously, bards are a versatile class which can fill a lot of roles in a group, but if you want to solo effectively you basically have one option.

Please read the thread before "lololololololololing".

Krait
07-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Also, the question is a little weird. Are you asking who spends the least amount of time medding? Because a Ranger soloing will not have any "downtime" but will still be extremely slow and tedious.

Yes, the least amount of time out of action regen-ing something, or the inverse, the most amount of time spent in combat. And yes, regardless of how efficient that combat is. Basically, can any classes just fight mob after mob after mob while solo?

greatdane
07-02-2011, 04:51 AM
If you want it to be that way throughout the entire level span, necromancer is probably your only choice. Magician stops being amazing at higher levels, and shamans don't get really powerful until the upper 40s. Bards can't just sit down wherever they like and start soloing, there are limitations the same way there are to quad-kiting. Also, after playing a bard for a while, you might wish you were playing a class with some downtime so you can go to the bathroom and stuff like that without dying or having to zone half-way through a kite.

Troy
07-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Yes, the least amount of time out of action regen-ing something, or the inverse, the most amount of time spent in combat. And yes, regardless of how efficient that combat is. Basically, can any classes just fight mob after mob after mob while solo?

Yeah, bard and ranger.

quellren
07-02-2011, 12:59 PM

lolololololololol

Laugh out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud?

Doors
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Bards.

deakolt
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
This is a thread about soloing without downtime.

Obviously, bards are a versatile class which can fill a lot of roles in a group, but if you want to solo effectively you basically have one option.

Please read the thread before "lololololololololing".

This is also not true, bards can at least AOE kite and swarm (charm) kite.

I suppose both options are kiting but if you're collapsing kiting into one category, then necros pretty much only have two options- kite and root/rot/kill

jerus
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Swarm(charm) kiting isn't really viable here, something about the charm pet's agro is weird. However reverse charm kiting does work, just swarming doesn't cause not all the mobs will assist and swarm the charmed pet.

However, bards can solo doing fear kiting, or melee solo. Melee solo is weird but you can mez and regen health then go again, takes forever but it works.

Krait
07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
So what about non-kiting? What melee classes spend the least time waiting in between fights?

Supaskillz
07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
paladin I guess since they can heal themselves

deakolt
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
So what about non-kiting? What melee classes spend the least time waiting in between fights?

If you're talking most efficient solo melee leveling, monk wins hands down

Dr4z3r
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
For melee solo efficiency, Paladins vs. Undead > Monks > everything else, in my experience.

Also, standard Bard charm-kiting does NOT work on this server.