PDA

View Full Version : Naked Monk Solo

Davardo
07-01-2011, 10:06 AM
How well could a near naked monk solo to cap? Would it even be possible?

Extunarian
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Using the strict definition of possible, yes it is.

Luckily you won't be near-naked for long. A full set of wu's and some proper jewelry is actually fairly inexpensive and will greatly increase your solo viability.

Luckier still - you can group with basically any priest class, a chanter, or a necro and totally own, even if you have limited play time.

azeth
07-01-2011, 10:27 AM

yes, you could solo 1-60, and given good choices on where/what to fight, i'd wager you could do it without a single death after lvl 17.

Nytewind TP
07-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Even a full set of Cured Silk and possible Sash or Headband quests would be helpful.

bullproofmonk
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Why would you be naked? Hopefully you made an iksar, and can turn in the curscale hides for an awesome newbie set of armor in Cabilis.

Once you get feign, you might even try feigning your way up to Dalnir and see if anyone is in there letting crescent rot.

Even if you made a human, you will be killing tons of spiders. If you bring all the mats to a tailor, I'm sure he would do the combines for a low price, or even free for an up and coming monk.

Vohl
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
AC from gear is pretty slight. Fist damage and delay are shoddy at low levels, but get decent enough later on (but still are not a match for the best weapons you can get).

Back in the dawn of time (pre-Kunark), monks and paladins were the only classes that could get over 1000 AC. Monks had an easier time hitting this figure.

By soloing buck naked (Texas ranger!), you'll also be missing resists (which aren't that hot at the moment), item haste (which will hurt a lot), and item-granted bonus hit points (55hp rings, 35hp earrings, 50hp robe, etc).

I've leveled my monk to 18 using cracked staff, staff and finally empty fist. He can still solo low-end DB mobs at this point. I expect it'll get a tad easier at level 20 with Eagle Strike and improved fist damage, however it is pretty slow-going at the moment. He has reasonably good AC, but I expect he could solo the same mobs with a lot more bandages and resting time between fights.

Ultimately, I'm sure the answer is yes - but it'll be slow and tedious.

Davardo
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I say naked but mean low gear/not much gear, It is an iksar and I don't have a lot of money to buy anything yet.

bullproofmonk
07-01-2011, 12:04 PM
without a single death after lvl 17.

This man has never used monk feign death.

deakolt
07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
This man has never used monk feign death.

haha true I kinda loled when I read that.

Might as well be not a single death from level 1-

Relying on feign death in your 20s is sketch

azeth
07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
choose your targets wisely, and don't fight anything til the bitter end.

greatdane
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
If you stay naked past your 20ies, you'll have serious trouble killing mobs. Any melee class, even when excessively twinked, struggles to maintain a decent soloing rate even if grotesquely twinked (excluding fungi which is a category of its own), and while monks are somewhat less gear dependent than others, they aren't too different in that regard. When the mobs start hitting upwards of 100, you're not gonna get very far without gear. By then you'll probably have earned enough to buy some okay gear, though, so you shouldn't be naked unless you're doing some weird project. For monk soloing to ever approach good exp rates, though, you'll need to be considerably twinked.

Doors
07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Get powerleveld and anything is possible.

Messianic
07-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Monk soloing, even with a full wu's set and fists, will probably only stretch to late teens. Beyond that it's going to become too tedious and your downtime too great to deal with. Throw in a cheap twink weapon or two - wu's quivering staff, a couple fighting batons...sure, you'll solo to your low-mid 30s effectively.

Beyond that you're going to need to optimize your AC/str/hp gear and have a couple strong weapons (Jade maces, Peacebringer, etc) and maybe some haste to really solo effectively. Again, it's not that you can't find low blue mobs to solo and be able to kill them - it's just that your downtime is so much greater and occasionally even those mobs will get strings of strong hits on you and force you to fd or zone.

I basically soloed to 60 on my monk on live - and i did it with relatively cheap gear. For some reason jade maces were way more expensive on Rodcet Nife while Knuckle Dusters fell below 1k very quickly, so i snagged two KD's and used those from my 20s on. I don't think I got a haste item till my 50s (hangman's noose), and I remember how annoying soloing was unless you found an optimal place to do it, or had someone you could donate to for some regen/buffs.

Oh, and FYI - when soloing, AC = king. Don't use those stupid 7 str veils or 7 str necklaces when you're soloing. The 6 ac from a sarnak-hide mask or 8 ac from that FM necklace are far more effective.

Tiggles
07-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Just get a group.

Jesus why are people so antisocial here.

Doors
07-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Just get a group.

Jesus why are people so antisocial here.

Group with me plx

etplante
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Challenge accepted.

Supaskillz
07-01-2011, 04:06 PM
its possible I think... but you are going to be fighting light blue cons for most of your life and bind wounding and sitting alot

Slave
07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
There is simply no possible way you are soloing anything dark blue in your 50s with a naked monk, the end.

azeth
07-01-2011, 04:20 PM
There is simply no possible way you are soloing anything dark blue in your 50s with a naked monk, the end.

really? b/c my rogue could solo most of the way down to the 3 spawn @ the rock in Seb, and he had < 150 defense. the only mobs that'd stop my progression were the random Bok Shamans iirc

deakolt
07-01-2011, 04:24 PM
really? b/c my rogue could solo most of the way down to the 3 spawn @ the rock in Seb, and he had < 150 defense. the only mobs that'd stop my progression were the random Bok Shamans iirc

gear list plz? I've been wanting to play a solo Rogue since pretty much the day I started playing EQ back in 2000.

This sounds awesome

azeth
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
gear list plz? I've been wanting to play a solo Rogue since pretty much the day I started playing EQ back in 2000.

This sounds awesome

oh man, no this is not the route you want to take. I was illustrating that if a rogue is capable of killing 50+ mobs, then a monk could perform the same feat only much more easily. basically i'd sneak pull any double spawns, drop the mob, bandage up and wait til 100% if the next mob was tough. If it was a Kor or Jin i'd engage at 50% and just slam (i was a barb) the shit out of it.

as far as gear i had i dunno some hate & sky stuff. there are some PVPers floating around here that could probably expound on a few ideas on how to effectively solo as a rogue, im not an expert.

Slave
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM

as far as gear i had i dunno some hate & sky stuff.

deakolt
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
oh man, no this is not the route you want to take. I was illustrating that if a rogue is capable of killing 50+ mobs, then a monk could perform the same feat only much more easily. basically i'd sneak pull any double spawns, drop the mob, bandage up and wait til 100% if the next mob was tough. If it was a Kor or Jin i'd engage at 50% and just slam (i was a barb) the shit out of it.

as far as gear i had i dunno some hate & sky stuff. there are some PVPers floating around here that could probably expound on a few ideas on how to effectively solo as a rogue, im not an expert.

That's what I figured :(

The sad but true fact about levelling a rogue is that it would probably be more time efficient to just farm platinum on my main and buy a powerlevel for the rogue, at least for the first 40 ish levels...

Vohl
07-01-2011, 06:04 PM

It won't be pleasant or efficient, but Intimidation soloing makes it possible to kill DBs in outdoor zones, even at 60.

Having read the OP's intentions a bit more thoroughly, I'd say that monks are largely gear-independent through most of the game. Cabilis newbie armor will work a good long while for you. Save your coin for weapons, weight reducing bags, and (eventually) haste items.

Slave
07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
It won't be pleasant or efficient, but Intimidation soloing makes it possible to kill DBs in outdoor zones, even at 60.

Having read the OP's intentions a bit more thoroughly, I'd say that monks are largely gear-independent through most of the game. Cabilis newbie armor will work a good long while for you. Save your coin for weapons, weight reducing bags, and (eventually) haste items.

That would require jboots at minimum and the stipulation was that he would be naked.

Vohl
07-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Having actually done it, no, it doesn't require JBoots.

The trick is to fight mobs such as giants that have large attack boxes. While mobs may pull ahead, they also zigzag, so you can take occasional shortcuts. Intimidation kiting isn't the only possibility, either. After proccing fear, you can also simply apply a bandage or two as well.

Slave
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Having actually done it, no, it doesn't require JBoots.

The trick is to fight mobs such as giants that have large attack boxes. While mobs may pull ahead, they also zigzag, so you can take occasional shortcuts. Intimidation kiting isn't the only possibility, either. After proccing fear, you can also simply apply a bandage or two as well.

Fraps or it didn't happen!

And where are you killing exp mobs in outdoor zones at level 59 naked?

Taryth
07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I say naked but mean low gear/not much gear

Now, if you want to debate about naked monks soloing, go ahead, but if you're trying to address the OP's question at all . . .

Vohl
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Okay, time to clarify what I meant by saying "actually done it". No, I didn't naked Intimidate kite at 60. I have, however, Intimidate kited quite a bit back on the live server. In my 20s, I used this on SK aviaks, Broon? (small cyclops in EK), and later on Hill Giants and Seafuries. It is annoying, you frequently get "cannot see" / "too far away" spam - however it still gets you beat up less than fighting toe-to-toe.

I think it's very plausible that a monk could get lucky on a large mob and land a few intimidates on it in a row, pounding it dead.

Edit: As far as where you could do this outdoors at 60? I'd suggest Skyfire along one of the walls. I bet there are wurms that'd work for this stunt.

Slave
07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I have, however, Intimidate kited quite a bit back on the live server.

Edit: As far as where you could do this outdoors at 60? I'd suggest Skyfire along one of the walls. I bet there are wurms that'd work for this stunt.

THIS IS P99!!!

Also, a wurm would pretty much gobble you up in about 30 seconds.

Tiggles
07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
should of leveled when fungi robes had Regen.

May as well roll a necro.

Vohl
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
THIS IS P99!!!

Yes, and ...? The game is clearly modeled on Kunark-era EQ. 2000-2001 was when I did the Instill Doubt (Intimidate) kiting. It is quite reasonable to believe that something possible on the live servers is also possible on 1999, even if there are noticeable differences in game behavior.

In fact, Intimidate was somewhat broken back in the day - you had to have your secondary attack unused for it to have any chance at all to proc. It's entirely possible the tactic would be easier on 1999.

Also, a wurm would pretty much gobble you up in about 30 seconds.

Depends on the wurm. There's a wide level range in Skyfire. Seafuries would be manageable at 59, but I'm thinking they'd be LB/Green.

Anyway, the assertion I was challenging wasn't whether a monk could do this regularly for XP, but whether a monk without equipment would be able to solo a DB at all. As I'd said, with Intimidate, you need some luck to keep up the fear, but nothing terribly rare.

Curmudgen
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I remember intimidation kiting on my iksar monk around end of kunark and early velious. He did not have any outstanding gear. At the time it was a fun break from monotony of toe to toe fighting and for the most part it worked well.

I would be concerned on this server as the mob speeds seem to me to be faster than on live.

Akim
07-02-2011, 11:05 AM
i was hoping you were a minimalist and going to do it naked regardless about gear; wanted a challenge; and i liked you

but you're not - and i'm deeply dissappointed
anyone willing to do this naked is a eq god

Messianic
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
i was hoping you were a minimalist and going to do it naked regardless about gear; wanted a challenge; and i liked you

but you're not - and i'm deeply dissappointed

Or a masochist

greatdane
07-02-2011, 02:16 PM

You could play most caster classes naked to 80% of their full potential. There are some where gear is nearly irrelevant.