PDA

View Full Version : Best Duo

Deathrydar
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
My brother and I were thinking about making a character and only playing that character when both of us were online at the same time.

That being said, in this era of the game, what two classes would work great together and why?

Thank you!

jarshale
07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Monk/sham?

deakolt
07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
My bro and I have been rolling Shaman/Necro and it's pretty beast. Kiting up the wazzoo, buffs, SoW, DoTs, root, lulls, lulz, ...

possibly most awesome aspect of this combo: very little downtime between cannibalize and twitch

bakkily
07-01-2011, 03:12 PM
what do you both feel like playing?

if magic users, and you want to own anything your path, mage/shaman works very well

some form of healer/dps class goes a long way

shm/monk works well

or uber dps like necro/shaman -but may have troubles inside a dungeon

ranger/shm isnt bad, i use to do this with a old gf

but we cant say much unless you say what you sort of both want to play

azeth
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
My bro and I have been rolling Shaman/Necro and it's pretty beast. Kiting up the wazzoo, buffs, SoW, DoTs, root, lulls, lulz, ...

perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect combination.

almost makes me want to 2 box on some random server

baalzy
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
search function + keywords

Deathrydar
07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
what do you both feel like playing?

if magic users, and you want to own anything your path, mage/shaman works very well

some form of healer/dps class goes a long way

shm/monk works well

or uber dps like necro/shaman -but may have troubles inside a dungeon

ranger/shm isnt bad, i use to do this with a old gf

but we cant say much unless you say what you sort of both want to play

That's just it.....we really don't care. We just want to be able to have classes that work well together. The talent will work itself in.

Anger
07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Monk/sham?

/thread

guineapig
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
search function + keywords

also, enchanter/druid > monk shaman.

Tiggles
07-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Enc/nec

Feachie
07-01-2011, 03:42 PM
also, enchanter/druid > monk shaman.

hehe but can the enc fd and rez you after his pet breaks charm just as snare wears off?

necro/druid, but I'm biased :)

guineapig
07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
hehe but can the enc fd and rez you after his pet breaks charm just as snare wears off?

No but pretty sure monk/sham can't rez you either. Not to mention that combo can't snare at all.... or charm... or port... or mez..... or lull, etc...

necro/druid, but I'm biased :)
Necro druid is pretty badass, I'll admit

Feachie
07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I was talking about enc/druid vs necro/druid :p

azeth
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Enc & Druid duo reminds me a Blue & Green MTG deck for some reason.

guineapig
07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Enc & Druid duo reminds me a Blue & Green MTG deck for some reason.

Totes!

I was talking about enc/druid vs necro/druid :p

Yeah... I realize that now :o

Supaskillz
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
mystic snake ftw

Taryth
07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Enc/Mage. Everybody laughs/questions this combo, but you wont be disappointed. This duo can lock down HUGE areas, take down quite difficult named, and net insane xp.

Enc/Necro would probably be pretty good, too, but I would miss the Mage's DS (or fire pet DS pre-50s.)

etplante
07-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Enc/nec

Tewaz
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
ranger/ranger

azeth
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
ranger/ranger

/random to take the DT?

dont ask me why they're fighting a mob that'd DT to begin w/

Popt
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
ench/cler!

Tewaz
07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Ranger/Ranger is clearly the best. One to get the hell beat out of them and one to bow kite the mob while the other comes back and gets his gear and then begins to make arrows so he can bow kite once the other ranger runs out.
After that mob dies/they zone they can complain about how Wurmslayer is primary only now and their 40% exp penalty is why no one groups with them. The best part, is they can both reassure each other that the penalty is why people aren't grouping with them while embracing in wood elf love.

Deathrydar
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Ranger/Ranger is clearly the best. One to get the hell beat out of them and one to bow kite the mob while the other comes back and gets his gear and then begins to make arrows so he can bow kite once the other ranger runs out.
After that mob dies/they zone they can complain about how Wurmslayer is primary only now and their 40% exp penalty is why no one groups with them. The best part, is they can both reassure each other that the penalty is why people aren't grouping with them while embracing in wood elf love.

ROFLMAO

ryandward
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Mage / Wiz

Messianic
07-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Mage / Wiz

Hate to break it to you, but Mage/Wiz is actually a rather poor combo. I'm not saying you can't grind with it or level effectively together - but there are no real force multipliers or complimentary skills between the classes except wizard root and stuns. Remember that any duo can buy ports - so choosing a duo partner based on their travel ability isn't as effective. You have to focus on what they can actually do in terms of grinding, camping, etc.

Mage/Mage is far superior to Wizard/Mage in that regard, since they can use pets that compliment each other. For example - backstabbing water pet and earth pet. With proper pet commands, positioning is rather easy to make sure the earth always has aggro.

And since a wizard has to med so much without C2, you could just have another mage and just summon a useless 50+ fire pet to spam nukes. They'd probably top the wizard's long-term damage over the course of a grind session - and obviously an air/water vocarate pet would be superior to that.

Lazortag
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I've tried ench/necro and it's really awesome even at earlier levels. Bard/monk is very fun and efficient too. And Bard/shaman if you want to kill mobs slowly but be at infinite hp/mana the whole time :p

baub
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
shaman/anything

Nirgon
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Bard/wiz.

Take a second and think about it.

Messianic
07-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Any two pet classes.

(See what I did there?)

Psionide
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
yeah wiz/mag doesn't seem like it would be great and mag mag would be better but it still is an efficient combo at higher levels. Watching a earth or fire pet tank the mob to 50 percent or so and then having the mag and wizard cast there nukes can burn down mobs EASILY. The mage having malosi helps out the wizard as well. Yeah your gunna have some down time to med of course but they really can take a mob down easily before any other class combo imo unless its a high MR mob tho.

Nirgon
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Is the clinging darkness necklace quest working here for Inny follower clerics? I think it worked for Inny follower shams too?

Nirgon
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
yeah wiz/mag doesn't seem like it would be great and mag mag would be better but it still is an efficient combo at higher levels. Watching a earth or fire pet tank the mob to 50 percent or so and then having the mag and wizard cast there nukes can burn down mobs EASILY. The mage having malosi helps out the wizard as well. Yeah your gunna have some down time to med of course but they really can take a mob down easily before any other class combo imo unless its a high MR mob tho.

Temp flux staff except on planar+ mobs seemed to be enough, malise is kinda pricey on mana.

Psionide
07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
yeah when I played with my bro I would snare the mob and just constantly click the flux staff to get aggro and kite it around while my bros pet would destroy most of it. It works pretty well in a jam.

deakolt
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Is the clinging darkness necklace quest working here for Inny follower clerics? I think it worked for Inny follower shams too?

yes

Messianic
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM

Killing mobs quickly doesn't mean efficiently - it might mean the opposite. Mage nukes are almost as mana efficient as a wizard's. And if both the mage and wizard are chain nuking, there's a likelihood of an earth root break - unless you're snaring the mob, in which case you're gonna waste time running around rather than nuking - which would mean a necro's Dots are actually going to beat you in a speed battle, since they can stack them, then run.

Temp flux staff except on planar+ mobs seemed to be enough, malise is kinda pricey on mana.

Dunno if this works on p99 - people used to also do it with Goblin Gazughi ring. I stand corrected if it does work - but I don't think it does.

yeah when I played with my bro I would snare the mob and just constantly click the flux staff to get aggro and kite it around while my bros pet would destroy most of it. It works pretty well in a jam.

If you just needed someone to pull aggro, you could get that from a better class...

Again, i didn't argue that it can't work or it's unfeasible - it's just not all that efficient.

Doors
07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
The best duo in the game is clearly double warriors. Duh.

Envious
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Monk / shm
ench / mag
shm / necro
necro / rogue
druid / rogue
cleric / war
ench / clr
ench / wiz
bard / wiz
wiz / druid

Ench + necro is fucking stupid. One of the worst ideas ever. Druid / necro is ok, but not as good as necro / shm.

Make sure to choose races correctly... or you end up with failure anyway.

Should prolly go ikky, and either monk / shm or necro / shm. If not that, then go clr / ench or war / clr.

Envious
07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Forgot:

ench / druid

Lazortag
07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Monk / shm
ench / mag
shm / necro
necro / rogue
druid / rogue
cleric / war
ench / clr
ench / wiz
bard / wiz
wiz / druid

Ench + necro is fucking stupid. One of the worst ideas ever. Druid / necro is ok, but not as good as necro / shm.

Make sure to choose races correctly... or you end up with failure anyway.

Should prolly go ikky, and either monk / shm or necro / shm. If not that, then go clr / ench or war / clr.

some of your combinations are hilarious. ench wiz? bard wiz? cleric/warrior? really? Enchanter/necro is extremely efficient as both use pets, mana is in high abundance, and both classes have a lot of utility (especially necro heals) which allows them to duo a variety of different camps.

Messianic
07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
some of your combinations are hilarious. ench wiz? bard wiz? cleric/warrior? really? Enchanter/necro is extremely efficient as both use pets, mana is in high abundance, and both classes have a lot of utility (especially necro heals) which allows them to duo a variety of different camps.

Ench Wiz is definitely good, but really only 53+. Wizard PBAoE isn't efficient enough to take down lots of blue mobs at a decent pace until the Jyll's line...although it's doable before then if you have more than just one wizard nuking.

Edit: But yeah, I really don't think Bard Wiz works. I'm open to correction.

Harrison
07-05-2011, 05:00 PM

yes

With mob runspeeds F'd to high hell here, the utility of this is limited.

Doors
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah clinging darkness sucks here. You would need a Jboots MQ on your low level toon to even be able to outrun mobs you use it on. And even then some mobs are still going to catch you.

Lazortag
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they adjusted snare not too long ago to offset the slightly higher mob run speeds

Doors
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Been recently toying around with a necro. Mobs I hit with clinging darkness were all over me unless I had a sow.

Heartbeats
07-05-2011, 06:02 PM
enc/ranger is so win

Bubbles
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Monk / Necro.

Both can feign, so dying is something you'd have to work hard for. Both are dps cannons. IF charming, necro can just feign on the monk on charm breaks to recharm while monk does the human shield thing.

There really isn't much out there for mobs that outpace pact/shadowbond until you hit higher Kunark mobs. Necro also has all the CC tricks (long roots / Mez / undead lull) and the monk can split just about any camp on top of it.

And if for some reason you are short on cash, you can charge a 3rd person joining your OP'd group 1k an hr for the PL.

Envious
07-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Ench / wiz for kiting, which is not such a great combo here cause no breeze. But still works pretty well later on. And this is also 1/3 of AE group.

Bard / wiz, again, for kiting. Good at low lvls cause bard can tank / regen, wizzie can nuke. Later one, bard pulls with massive trains, get it down to 70%, pulls over wiz, wiz PBAE's... this isnt a hard concept.

Cleric / warrior, thats 2/3 of what is needed for a great group. Just add ench or bard. And it stays pretty decent as a duo all the way up, provided you can snag some gear.

Ench / necro has no real heals, and ench pet is useless. If you charm, and shit goes bad, necro cant keep up heals with dark pact. They just cant. I've duo'd as necro / ench (both 2 boxing, and recently as a necro / ench duo) and yeah, you can do some lvl 40 shit at 50, but its not really worth a flying fuck.

Atmas
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Monk/Shm obviously good throughout.

Wiz/Enc not bad when Enc gets crack.

Wiz/Monk pretty good when Wizards get snare. Not so much before then.

Nirgon
07-06-2011, 01:59 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cKpqRHkdxio/TUiOjtZtiqI/AAAAAAAAAoo/BHvnUFOwiqo/s320/for%2Byour%2Bviewing%2Bpleasure.jpg

Hm dots have a diminishing return when the mob is moving... hm ok. Direct damage, no, no that checks out alright.

Enchanter no run speed, bard has mana regen and runspeed... ok I see. Oh I can port, that's nice... yeah, yes and again the bard runspeed. Oh, I ah, I see also the bard can snare and fear for some reverse kiting in there.

And of course, as you all well know, we do have the quad kiting and then PBAoE finishing off the swarm kite. Yes.

/Goldblum Off

You can also try-> bard mez something harsh->begin casting ice comet-> wait 2.5-3s-> start casting bard mez -> ice comet hits -> bard mez hits... rinse/repeat.

You can quad with circle of force very easily, you don't have to wait until 51. Spectres take you up pretty nice.

PS: You were reading this in my voice etc.

Lazortag
07-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Ench / necro has no real heals, and ench pet is useless. If you charm, and shit goes bad, necro cant keep up heals with dark pact. They just cant. I've duo'd as necro / ench (both 2 boxing, and recently as a necro / ench duo) and yeah, you can do some lvl 40 shit at 50, but its not really worth a flying fuck.

You're doing it wrong. At any level this is an awesome duo.

Feachie
07-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Been recently toying around with a necro. Mobs I hit with clinging darkness were all over me unless I had a sow.

try not to kite until you get engulfing. clinging sucks :(

Envious
07-06-2011, 02:35 AM
You're doing it wrong. At any level this is an awesome duo.

There is absolutely NO fuckin reason to duo an enchanter with a necro over a shaman. Esp on this cake shit server where named mobs are rootable.

I'm sure its awesome at lvl 1 with someone PL'ing you tho.

Krait
07-06-2011, 03:26 AM
/Goldblum Off

Permanently please.
=p

Bubbles
07-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Well, assuming the necromancer isn't wearing a helmet *and* drooling..

The second a enchanter's charm breaks and the enchanter fires off the PB stun..

The necro either ST's the mob dead in it's tracks, 3min roots it in it's trash, or, (if it's undead) charms it himself and then voice grafts it to allow the mob to remind the enchanter he plays the inferior class of the duo.

Yeah a mage/necro going to be more efficient in an xp grind, but it's basically nigh impossible to die due to a CC situation as a necro/enchanter duo. Even if both the enchanter and necro are holding charmed pets, all that means is that the necro is that much *more* likely to have CC spells up for charm breaks. You really can't get much safer than a enc/necro.

Well, unless it's a monk/necro, then you can both feign at the slightest hint of trouble and/or nicotine cravings.

Messianic
07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Ench / wiz for kiting, which is not such a great combo here cause no breeze. But still works pretty well later on. And this is also 1/3 of AE group.

Kiting what? How? Just because the wizard has snare and the enc has a pet with fairly good DPS but low health/ac? Again, a ranger or SK is a better choice if you just want snare.

Bard / wiz, again, for kiting. Good at low lvls cause bard can tank / regen, wizzie can nuke.

Kiting what?

People misunderstand wizards. Nuking is terrible for an exp group. Terrible. You only nuke when things are going wrong, you're killing a named mob, you're sitting at FM with nothing to spend mana on, or you're silly enough to think that nukes make a group more efficient. How long did the wizard have to meditate for that one nuke? In the same span of time, how much damage would a rogue or any other melee have done? Again, it "works," but it's not terribly efficient.

Later one, bard pulls with massive trains, get it down to 70%, pulls over wiz, wiz PBAE's... this isnt a hard concept.

This is intriguing, since I know bard PBAoE songs are actually fairly high in the aggro department. However, wizard PBAoEs are barely above a 1-1 mana-damage ratio until 53 with Jyll's, which is a significant increase (285 mana for just under 500 damage).

So the only places I can think of where this might work would be for a brief time on Spirocs in TD, or BW from 49-52/53ish (b/c the wizard has supernova) or Skyfire 54-60, and Skyfire mobs have 4500+ hp, meaning the wizard's 2400-2600 mana pool necessitates the bard to bring the mobs down to 40-50%.

But when you think about it, that might actually be enough time for the wizard to meditate up the mana he needs to bomb them to death. I'll consider this further :D

Wiz/Enc not bad when Enc gets crack.

Other than what I mentioned earlier (small PBAoE ventures)...No. Just no. Again, the time it took that wizard to meditate a single nuke is the time a hasted rogue/monk could be tearing a slowed mob to shreds.

Wiz/Monk pretty good when Wizards get snare. Not so much before then.

Even worse. If you need someone with snare who can pull aggro, just get a Ranger or SK.

Wizards only have a few skill sets that are complimentary to a group - targeted stuns (of limited use on non-casters), PBAoE, and targeted AoE. In everything else, another class does it far better. Ghetto rooting/snaring/etc yeah, those are fine (and are very common among other classes) - but they're not things that can have their force multiplied by a group , such as a Necro/Shaman where the Necro has permanent Chloro, or Shaman/Monk where Shaman has most of the best melee buffs in the game (chloro/str/sta/agi/dex/haste) and debuffs (slow), a pet for added DPS, and backup heals in a pinch.

Mage/Mage, Necro/Necro, Enc/Enc, Shaman/Shaman...all of these are better than any of those classes coupled with a wizard in terms of a Duo.

Azu
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
If you a fan of pure casters Wiz/Mage works great. you have a pet to take, a heavy hitter and the mage cna heal it when needed. also if you get adds the wiz can kite them away untill ready to kill them. you have ports, summoned food and drink.

a wiz has bigger burst then a druid, so if something needs to die "fast" they can make it happen. anyone 1 single target dosn't stand a chance. also while quading at higher levels mage can turn pets taunt off and have the backstab pet go nuts.

Druid/mage also works for most of that i said, its all a matter of preference to the player.

Azu
07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
If you a fan of pure casters Wiz/Mage works great. you have a pet to take, a heavy hitter and the mage cna heal it when needed. also if you get adds the wiz can kite them away untill ready to kill them. you have ports, summoned food and drink.

a wiz has bigger burst then a druid, so if something needs to die "fast" they can make it happen. anyone 1 single target dosn't stand a chance. also while quading at higher levels mage can turn pets taunt off and have the backstab pet go nuts.

Druid/mage also works for most of that i said, its all a matter of preference to the player.

Lucia Moonglow
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Any solo class + any solo class is an awesome duo for obvious reasons.

Pairing a tank class with a healer class (especially shaman due to how efficient slowing makes healing) is always a good pair, plus it allows you to start your own groups whenever you want merely by inviting utility/DPS when duoing gets boring.

There are some unexpected good combos too. Druid/Rogue and Ranger/Rogue works very well if the rogue doesn't mind chasing things, and the rogue's experience bonus helps balance out xp gains, effectively boosting the ranger's leveling speed.

Necro/Mage or Necro/Wizard....or hell, Necro + any DPS.

Monk/Shaman is a classic, but the monk can be replaced with any melee and still do well. I even did a shaman/ranger duo for a while. Rangers can easily tank slowed mobs and hold enough agro that the shaman doesn't get hit. I've even seen shaman/rogue work pretty well. You'd be surprised how many classes can tank slowed mobs effectively.

Atmas
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Kiting what? How? Just because the wizard has snare and the enc has a pet with fairly good DPS but low health/ac? Again, a ranger or SK is a better choice if you just want snare.

Kiting what?

People misunderstand wizards. Nuking is terrible for an exp group. Terrible. You only nuke when things are going wrong, you're killing a named mob, you're sitting at FM with nothing to spend mana on, or you're silly enough to think that nukes make a group more efficient. How long did the wizard have to meditate for that one nuke? In the same span of time, how much damage would a rogue or any other melee have done? Again, it "works," but it's not terribly efficient.

This is intriguing, since I know bard PBAoE songs are actually fairly high in the aggro department. However, wizard PBAoEs are barely above a 1-1 mana-damage ratio until 53 with Jyll's, which is a significant increase (285 mana for just under 500 damage).

So the only places I can think of where this might work would be for a brief time on Spirocs in TD, or BW from 49-52/53ish (b/c the wizard has supernova) or Skyfire 54-60, and Skyfire mobs have 4500+ hp, meaning the wizard's 2400-2600 mana pool necessitates the bard to bring the mobs down to 40-50%.

But when you think about it, that might actually be enough time for the wizard to meditate up the mana he needs to bomb them to death. I'll consider this further :D

Other than what I mentioned earlier (small PBAoE ventures)...No. Just no. Again, the time it took that wizard to meditate a single nuke is the time a hasted rogue/monk could be tearing a slowed mob to shreds.

Even worse. If you need someone with snare who can pull aggro, just get a Ranger or SK.

Wizards only have a few skill sets that are complimentary to a group - targeted stuns (of limited use on non-casters), PBAoE, and targeted AoE. In everything else, another class does it far better. Ghetto rooting/snaring/etc yeah, those are fine (and are very common among other classes) - but they're not things that can have their force multiplied by a group , such as a Necro/Shaman where the Necro has permanent Chloro, or Shaman/Monk where Shaman has most of the best melee buffs in the game (chloro/str/sta/agi/dex/haste) and debuffs (slow), a pet for added DPS, and backup heals in a pinch.

Mage/Mage, Necro/Necro, Enc/Enc, Shaman/Shaman...all of these are better than any of those classes coupled with a wizard in terms of a Duo.

Other options were listed as alternatives because the OP may not want to just play Monk/Shaman, or two of the same class, or one may have a high interest in a particular class.

In no case is a rogue going to be hasted and fighting slowed mobs in a duo (except for Bard/Rogue which is obviously bad..).

Multiple kitting classes with melee dps work fine. Monk is good for wizard because it requires less mana to be used for the wizard to hold agro as opposed to a rogue. Other classes could be used for snaring but mana of them have downsides as well. The two classes you mentioned SK and Ranger have a high XP penalty and until Tolans a high coin cost respectively. Other problems for the combo I mentioned are it requires the wiz to get to 29 and is only really viable in open room.

Enc/Wiz is fine, it's obviously not stellar until you do AoE groups but Enc is the one class aside from some debuffing that will actually imrpove a wizard's single target dps. Which might be needed if you ever plan to enter a dungeon or group with more than just eachother.

Envious
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM

Kiting what?

Can wizards not AE kite here? Dont play one, but was under the impression they could.

Given that they can. The enchanter is there purely to supply breeze / clarity. And help the wizard get groups. Thought the first thing you quoted by me clearly pointed that out... but guess not.

Given that they can not, reread previous statement.

Envious
07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
The bard thing is really obvious i thought... bard gets 50+ mobs, kites them down to 70%, pulls over wizard. Wizard then PBAE's them... they compliment? Early levels bards can tank with regen song, at 32+ they can regen the wizard between 100+ NPC pulls...

Why am I having to explain this to you?

Messianic
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Can wizards not AE kite here? Dont play one, but was under the impression they could.

4 mobs max with targeted AoE. Enchanter could be clarity-bot - but why duo just to have a clarity bot? There's just a lack of a cohesive strategy that benefits both players.

And why "duo" so the wizard can get groups? Again - don't get me wrong, just about any two classes could do successfully, but I was only pointing out that wizard duos typically don't work well unless they're centered around AoE in some form.

The bard thing is really obvious i thought... bard gets 50+ mobs, kites them down to 70%, pulls over wizard. Wizard then PBAE's them... they compliment? Early levels bards can tank with regen song, at 32+ they can regen the wizard between 100+ NPC pulls...

Why am I having to explain this to you?

I apologize if I've frustrated you...

It's just I know how much damage a wizard can put out with pbaoe (and how fast he can do that)...and it doesn't seem like it would be faster for the trouble than the Bard, solo, until much later (like late 40s with supernova for speed and 53 at least for the Jyll's line). Dunno tho - it sounds appealing at later levels, but questionable early on. It's something I'm interested enough in to test.

And for pre-AoE kiting Bard/Wiz, the duo is tenable (as I mentioned earlier), but it doesn't seem to have a good multiplier effect for both players. The wizard is pretty much just nuking while the Bard melees.

But i'll admit i'm being a bit picky. My bad.

shdwdrake8
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
(except for Bard/Rogue which is obviously bad..).

What? Zero downtime, crazy dps, and ability to kill anything that doesn't resist songs? Yeah, you're right, obviously bad.

Kevlar
07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
bard cleric was the best for me. could aoe kite 20~30 mobs and the cleric could sit nearby to 96% rez me if i got a lag spike.

oh and i could easily chant kite down most named mobs as long as they didnt hit for more than 3 or 4k. getting summoned was no big deal since it happens regularly. just gotta time the cheals. bard in good gear can chant kite anything only taking one melee round of dmg every 10 secs or so. heck i could solo break plane of fear.

Atmas
07-06-2011, 06:34 PM
What? Zero downtime, crazy dps, and ability to kill anything that doesn't resist songs? Yeah, you're right, obviously bad.

The best ability of the bard is mass packs for AoE, not really a rogue speciality. I suppose the rogue could kill some individuals in the mob more quickly but not nearly as effective as anyone with AoE.

If you kill just individual mobs not having /stick will get old really fast.

I guess you see nice benefits in fear kiting but its probably a lot less effective than a bard just AoE kiting.

Tewaz
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
heck i could solo break plane of fear.

SS please :)

falkun
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
heck i could solo break plane of fear.
SS please :)

I can believe it. Granted you can't do any of the killing, but a bard waltzing into PoFear can kite things all day while the rest of the force zones in and moves to camp location. I've broken fear a few times after watching other guilds wipe.

guineapig
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I can believe it. Granted you can't do any of the killing, but a bard waltzing into PoFear can kite things all day while the rest of the force zones in and moves to camp location. I've broken fear a few times after watching other guilds wipe.

This is assuming you resist every single fear, shadowstep, etc that those mobs throw at you. Not saying it's not doable, but it is highly dependent on which mobs you are kiting and dumb luck in the form of resist checks.

falkun
07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
This is assuming you resist every single fear, shadowstep, etc that those mobs throw at you. Not saying it's not doable, but it is highly dependent on which mobs you are kiting and dumb luck in the form of resist checks.

You are assuming that I'm kiting these things in small circles. You can be the only person on the aggro list and be well outside of casting range.

Kevlar
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
yep. i'd kite everything around the portal while the raid set up at the safe wall. keep up resist song and selos. with epic and resist gear you arent getting feared or snared.

only problem i ever had was eating a dt now and again if something spread aggro to one of the minis.

Envious
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
4 mobs max with targeted AoE. Enchanter could be clarity-bot - but why duo just to have a clarity bot? There's just a lack of a cohesive strategy that benefits both players.

And why "duo" so the wizard can get groups? Again - don't get me wrong, just about any two classes could do successfully, but I was only pointing out that wizard duos typically don't work well unless they're centered around AoE in some form.

I apologize if I've frustrated you...

It's just I know how much damage a wizard can put out with pbaoe (and how fast he can do that)...and it doesn't seem like it would be faster for the trouble than the Bard, solo, until much later (like late 40s with supernova for speed and 53 at least for the Jyll's line). Dunno tho - it sounds appealing at later levels, but questionable early on. It's something I'm interested enough in to test.

And for pre-AoE kiting Bard/Wiz, the duo is tenable (as I mentioned earlier), but it doesn't seem to have a good multiplier effect for both players. The wizard is pretty much just nuking while the Bard melees.

But i'll admit i'm being a bit picky. My bad.

There is not much in game that is going to double or more than double a bards ability to AE kite... so pairing with a bard is a loss for the bard either way.

And having a clarity bot is centered around AoE in some form... tash + clarity, these help with wizard quad kiting.

Galanteer
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
most of the suggestions seem to be about maxing exp, however, most of these combos only work well in a very limited range of zones in the game. Also there is an assumption that one wants to rush to max level....

So imo a combo should open up as much of the game as possible rather than pigeon holing you to spend half your time in just a few zones. Its a big world out there, and most of it is empty...

thus my choice of most enjoyable combo would be enchanter/druid --you can succeed in most zones with this -only if the enchanter player enjoys charming.
Enchanter brings charm pet. crowd control and clarity. Also the enchanter can tash/haste the pet and slow the enemy. Druid heals, snares pet, sow and transport..

that said, a friend of mine and I just started a combo -monk/shaman (I chose this since I have played many enchanters already) Really the best combo is what the two of you enjoy playing, nothing else trumps this.