PDA

View Full Version : Mage pet questions.

Obsidus
07-02-2011, 07:36 AM
I've always wondered, what are each of the Mages pets good for? As far back as I can remember I've only ever seen and heard of Mages using the Fire pet for dps in groups and soloing, and the Air pet if tanking a mob was more important that killing it quickly (due to high dodge + stun proc making it actually take less damage than the Earth pet while hitting for more).

Is this even remotely accurate? Do the Water and Earth pets literally have no role? If someone could give me a rundown on when/when not to use certain pets and what they're good for I'd be greatful.

Another thing is, while using the search feature to see if this had been asked before, I found a thread talking about pet aggro being complete garbage (things like the player hitting the mob once for 1 damage, then backing off and having the pet hit the mob 3 times and ostensibly taunt twice and yet STILL not pull aggro off the player). Is this still true? Thanks in advance.

Stormhowl
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Another thing is, while using the search feature to see if this had been asked before, I found a thread talking about pet aggro being complete garbage (things like the player hitting the mob once for 1 damage, then backing off and having the pet hit the mob 3 times and ostensibly taunt twice and yet STILL not pull aggro off the player). Is this still true? Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your question about mage pets, but I can confirm that this is, indeed, true. I was on my necromancer earlier (level 5, but still...) and I MISSED with a melee attack, decided to back off when the mob smacked me, and literally my pet could NOT pull the monster off me no matter how far I backed up. Even though my pet did actual damage and taunted.

I haven't played my mage in weeks though; haven't cared to because of the pet aggro issues. :/

Estu
07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I was playing on my shaman yesterday and pet aggro seemed to be working fine. I would pull a dark blue monster with a high-level slow, which is a lot of aggro, then sic the pet on it. The monster would run to me, I would melee it to about 3/4 health while the pet also attacked it. Then I would back up and the monster would stay with my pet. Keep in mind that this is a shaman pet, which is lower level than a mage pet and doesn't have special abilities; I didn't even give it two weapons.

Taryth
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Pet aggro is not that broken. It's wonky, but is not nearly as bad as what's being described in this thread. Every time I want to engage I have to stab the mob as an Enc, and yet I have no problems with my pet not grabbing aggro, and I don't think I had this issue at lower lvl either. Would've been a bit crippling to have mobs beat on me that much for every engage, which certainly didn't happen.

My lvl 13 Necro's pet doesn't seem to have a problem either.

Zuranthium
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Earth pet is good for breaking a camp because it will last longer than any other pet. In actual classic EQ it was necessary for soloing in some places where monsters would flee and create trains (dungeons most especially), but on p1999 monsters aren't actually fleeing like they should be and thus the Earth pet's root isn't as useful.

Water pet is good for holding a high-spawn/quick-spawn camp after it is broken because it regens health faster than any other pet and thus can keep up with the spawns the best. Although, at the higher levels this will start to not hold true because chain-summoning the Fire pet will become better often times. Water pet is also nearly immune to poison, so it's good for fighting things that have a strong poison attack.

Fire pet is what you want to use when soloing whenever possible because of the fatty damage shield it has. It's good for grouping in many situations too (especially at lower/mid levels) because you can still off-tank extra monsters and quickly kill them with the fire pet.

Air pet is generally best for grouping at higher levels because the stun is more useful to a group than the other targeted abilities the other pets use. It's also the only targeted ability of the pets that won't break another player's root. If you are in a dungeon that has weird pathing issues, the air pet is also good because it will go invisible and not create trains (if all of the monsters can't see invis anyway).

Slave
07-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Air pet is generally best for grouping at higher levels because the stun is more useful to a group than the other targeted abilities the other pets use. It's also the only targeted ability of the pets that won't break another player's root. If you are in a dungeon that has weird pathing issues, the air pet is also good because it will go invisible and not create trains (if all of the monsters can't see invis anyway).

At level 50+ the air pet's stun will also cause dd and will break roots.

The water pet at 50+ has the highest possible DPS because it is a rogue with backstab, but this is situational and most tanks don't even goddamn bother positioning themselves. Especially warriors, who suck.

Ektar
07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I always flip a mob's back to the group ;)

Obsidus
07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Earth pet is good for breaking a camp because it will last longer than any other pet. In actual classic EQ it was necessary for soloing in some places where monsters would flee and create trains (dungeons most especially), but on p1999 monsters aren't actually fleeing like they should be and thus the Earth pet's root isn't as useful.

Water pet is good for holding a high-spawn/quick-spawn camp after it is broken because it regens health faster than any other pet and thus can keep up with the spawns the best. Although, at the higher levels this will start to not hold true because chain-summoning the Fire pet will become better often times. Water pet is also nearly immune to poison, so it's good for fighting things that have a strong poison attack.

Fire pet is what you want to use when soloing whenever possible because of the fatty damage shield it has. It's good for grouping in many situations too (especially at lower/mid levels) because you can still off-tank extra monsters and quickly kill them with the fire pet.

Thank you , this is exactly what I was looking for.

Stormhowl
07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Pet aggro is not that broken. It's wonky, but is not nearly as bad as what's being described in this thread. Every time I want to engage I have to stab the mob as an Enc, and yet I have no problems with my pet not grabbing aggro, and I don't think I had this issue at lower lvl either. Would've been a bit crippling to have mobs beat on me that much for every engage, which certainly didn't happen.

My lvl 13 Necro's pet doesn't seem to have a problem either.

I pray that you guys are right. My Mage (8), Necro (5) and Enchanter (3) all have issues with pet aggro, so hopefully it's something only present in the lower levels. It's especially noticeable with the Enchanter because I need to poke something with my dagger to get the pet in, but since stabbing a spiderling for 1 damage myself, then having my pet taunt twice and hit for about 8 damage total can't pull aggro, there's something wonky and inconsistent going on.

But you guys are both using higher levels so...

gloine36
07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
What about Pets and XP? I seem to recall something from the original EQ that pets got XP?

Ektar
07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
you (or your group) must do at least 1 damage, or the pet sucks 75%. I think.

quellren
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
you (or your group) must do at least 1 damage, or the pet sucks 75%. I think.

True.

The only way it can be construed that pets take exp is that mages, necros and enchanters are subjected to a 20% class penalty. This exists regardless of whether they have a pet summoned/charmed or not.

Slave
07-03-2011, 01:50 PM
True.

The only way it can be construed that pets take exp is that mages, necros and enchanters are subjected to a 20% class penalty. This exists regardless of whether they have a pet summoned/charmed or not.

It is a 10% exp penalty and it is applied to all INT-casters, ie wizards as well.

quellren
07-03-2011, 02:00 PM
It is a 10% exp penalty and it is applied to all INT-casters, ie wizards as well.

It is 10%. Wasn't watching what I was typing.

I excluded wizards because they weren't pertinent to the discussion about pets leeching exp.

gloine36
07-03-2011, 03:12 PM
So there is no 75% penalty for watching your pet whack a mob to death while you sun tan in the Oasis?

Messianic
07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
So there is no 75% penalty for watching your pet whack a mob to death while you sun tan in the Oasis?

No, as has been mentioned, you must do at least 1 point of damage or you receive a very tiny amount of exp.

Ektar
07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
lol the thread got unnecessarily confusing. just this:

you (or your group) must do at least 1 damage, or the pet sucks 75%.

nalkin
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
lol the thread got unnecessarily confusing. just this:

Not sure I follow, could someone give me a different spin on this please

Ektar
07-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Not sure I follow, could someone give me a different spin on this please

touch your naughty place and everything will work itself out

Trademaster
07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Classic
Fire pet was great when in groups with a tank, as a PC will hold taunt over a pet. Fire pet had highest damage output but lowest health total. In classic their fire shield wasn't always active, and generally would drop at inopportune times.

Air pet good for when fighting casters as their stun can break a spell being cast. # 3 in life and # 2 in damage

Water pet (my favorite all around) #3 in damage, #2 health. immune to poison. Casts cold based damage spell as well. (Water pet can backstab if you have a pc to hold aggro, however it's not guaranteed) With a fire shield on, damage was workable for solo work.

Earth Pet Highest health, lowest damage, but can root. Very useful in a dungeon situation where running Mobs can cause trains. Keep your damage shield on him and damage is better. (I lived in Sol A with this guy farming fine steel for many levels)

In classic it was important to keep a fire shield up on all your pets if you were solong, even the fire pet as his native shield would drop and the fire pet would neglect to recast.

Here on P99 the fire pet is king, they do good damage, their fire shield never drops, and it seems that their health is higher here than on live.