PDA

View Full Version : Multi-boxing with your friend's accounts

Amelinda
07-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Several people have reported instances of this to me recently. "my friend A currently has friend B's wizard on to port himself." but by the time i make it to the zone where the characters are...one has logged.

Don't do this. Please don't be a selfish jackass and get your friend's account banned just because you want a cleric buff or someone needs a port or you need to do a quick transfer. That is an incredibly selfish act and if we catch you doing it we are going to ban both accounts. Then YOU get to explain to your friend why s/he is now out the hundreds of hours of play time and potentially thousands of plat worth of items.

Bad enough to get yourself banned for breaking a well known rule. even worse to get your friend's account banned.

This means YOU. If you are sweating and thinking i'm talking to you. You are right. I am. I know. and in the words of Antoine Dodson (http://youtu.be/hMtZfW2z9dw)...

"You don't have to come and confess, We're lookin for you, we gonna find you..."

Slave
07-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Several people have reported instances of this to me recently. "my friend A currently has friend B's wizard on to port himself." but by the time i make it to the zone where the characters are...one has logged.

Umm how is that possible? Considering that if you log into your account from your IP, you can't log into another account from that same IP. Or else anyone that buys an account is pretty much buying the right to 2-box. Doesn't make any sense Amelinda.

savarin
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
ip exemption.

/poke amelinda

Slave
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
ip exemption.

/poke amelinda

If they had an ip exemption in the first place, why would they need their friend's account? Doesn't make any sense Savarin.

Arkyani
07-04-2011, 09:13 PM
You need to be quicker on the draw Amelinda! Them sneaky people think just because they are only two boxing for a very short period of time they can get away with it.

Arkyani
07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
If they had an ip exemption in the first place, why would they need their friend's account? Doesn't make any sense Savarin.

IP Exemption is for two SEPARATE people playing in one house. For example, father and son, husband and wife, and so on. It does NOT give people permission to take advantage of the exemption and two box.

The reason you cannot log in two computers from a single IP without an exemption is to prevent two boxing. The devs here were nice enough to give us a way to allow people in the same household to enjoy the game together, but sadly some people try to abuse that exemption for the wrong reason.

Slave
07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
IP Exemption is for two SEPARATE people playing in one house. For example, father and son, husband and wife, and so on. It does NOT give people permission to take advantage of the exemption and two box.

The reason you cannot log in two computers from a single IP without an exemption is to prevent two boxing. The devs here were nice enough to give us a way to allow people in the same household to enjoy the game together, but sadly some people try to abuse that exemption for the wrong reason.

I don't think you're following all the permutations of the problem. I know all that. Everyone knows all that. My statements were assuming everyone knew everything there was to know about the rules in this matter.

In this case, only people who ALREADY have exemptions can ostensibly use their friends account to 2-box. Why would they do that? I mean it doesn't take long to level a druid or wizard up to porting level, and the added layer of people is nothing but a risk. It doesn't make any sense.

Uthgaard
07-04-2011, 09:40 PM
If you have to use the words ostensibly and permutation to comprehend a rule...

http://www.xmfan.com/files/you_re_doing_it_wrong_179.jpg

It's pretty fucking simple people.

SpartanEQ
07-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't think you're following all the permutations of the problem. I know all that. Everyone knows all that. My statements were assuming everyone knew everything there was to know about the rules in this matter.

In this case, only people who ALREADY have exemptions can ostensibly use their friends account to 2-box. Why would they do that? I mean it doesn't take long to level a druid or wizard up to porting level, and the added layer of people is nothing but a risk. It doesn't make any sense.

When their "friend" is not around (at work, school, etc.) they log-in as their friend to port/buff them or their group. This is essentially two-boxing even though they only log-in for a short time. It's one person playing two characters at once and it's strictly verboten.

Slave
07-04-2011, 09:44 PM
If you have to use the words ostensibly and permutation to comprehend a rule...

It's pretty fucking simple people.

I understand the rule completely, something I thought I made pretty clear. Please read again, I'm trying to help you solve an apparent problem.

Slave
07-04-2011, 09:46 PM
When their "friend" is not around (at work, school, etc.) they log-in as their friend to port/buff them or their group. This is essentially two-boxing even though they only log-in for a short time. It's one person playing two characters at once and it's strictly verboten.

Maybe the problem is all this account trading and giving people access to your information. I remember this was forbidden on Live, maybe to prevent stuff like this?

Fromage
07-04-2011, 09:49 PM

"Please don't be a selfish jackass and get your friend's account banned just because you want a cleric buff or someone needs a port"

Motec
07-04-2011, 10:00 PM
2boxing is rife on this server. Go to any empty dungeon late at night and check out the druids sitting afk while the little dude runs around killing shit, and when its time to move? yay one at a time or a piss poor attempt at looking like 2 people (when one runs into the lava lololol).

The best I've seen was someone try and convince me he was not two boxing by having a conversation with himself and me, but making the same spelling mistake several times with the same punctuation etc.

Simreal
07-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't quite understand why multi-boxing is such a big deal.

I get that you want to encourage people to group with each other and promote the community and all that. But you also have people sitting in every zone where people frequent charging for ports, buffs, rez's, and every other thing. There aren't enough people in some zones to even form a group .. so you have to either solo which takes forever for some classes or hunt the few zones with people in them.

It seems to me that if you wanted to discourage multi-boxing .. or better yet promote grouping and community, then all you would have to do is give a bonus for groups that include players from different IP addresses, and cancel group bonuses (or even penalize) from groups that have multiple players from the same IP.

Arkyani
07-04-2011, 10:23 PM
If we allowed multi-boxing, everybody would just use macroquest and group with themselves. It would totally destroy a sense of community and having to rely on others to do things.

Although, as with anything, there are pros and cons to the situation. My personal opinion though is that if they allowed multi-boxing I never would have created an account here in the first place.

Deuces
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
The IP thing wouldnt help because they can just use two different IP's if someone near them has an unsecured wireless.

Arkyani
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
While it is obviously not perfect, it helps get rid of a LOT of potential multi-boxing. The rest the GMs just have to be vigilant about.

Calabee
07-04-2011, 10:35 PM
i SO do not miss two boxing bard + cle on raid.. fuck twisting songs + being in the CH rot

Motec
07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Problem with boxing is people take it too far. Having the ability to rez yourself etc? Great.

Holding every $$ camp in the game 24/7 as you can 2-3-4-5-6 box it? I'd quit immediately.

SupaflyIRL
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Problem with boxing is people take it too far. Having the ability to rez yourself etc? Great.

Holding every $$ camp in the game 24/7 as you can 2-3-4-5-6 box it? I'd quit immediately.

If you can limit the number of active logins from a certain IP to 1 you could certainly limit it to 2.

Aum
07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
If you can limit the number of active logins from a certain IP to 1 you could certainly limit it to 2.

I think 2 would be reasonable, but then again, if I was able to box right now I'd be PLing my alt instead of leveling it in groups, which is probably another issue they want to avoid.

Hijynx
07-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I enjoy actually socializing in an mmo again! I'm not against dual boxing, but if thats how they want it....that is how it will stay.

Bumonrug

Slave
07-04-2011, 11:24 PM
There are a lot of very good points in this thread. Most of them are anti-boxing. I witnessed PEQ server disintegrate due to this exact thing. The reason I started here was the population, and that seems to be much due to the ban on boxing. I wouldn't want to see that again, especially because it was so much harder to level here!

Simreal
07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
The IP thing wouldnt help because they can just use two different IP's if someone near them has an unsecured wireless.

I'm sure people use this little trick today for muti-boxing. What keep's people from just requesting a IP exception today?

Trademaster
07-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Nothing is stopping anyone from requesting an IP exemption. However just having an IP exemption does not mean you are granted immunity from being punished if you're caught multi-boxing.

There are always ways around any rules put in place, and if you're really that desperate to violate the rules in place so that you can have some kind of advantage over others while playing a game for fun, you'll find a way. And then when you get caught, we'll see a few posts from you down in Rants and Flames about how the evil people that provide you the server to play on have it in for you, and you're unjustly accused and those bastards! and all the other bullshit.

It's just a game, chill out, relax, have fun. If the game is too tough go back to live, or WoW or HALO or wherever you got your kicks before. The iteration of EQ here is complete with all the warts of the original EQ, if you could deal with it then, you can deal with it now.

Amelinda
07-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Some of you are missing the point. I'm not saying don't get your "friend's" account banned. I'm saying don't get your friend's account banned.

For instance: Let's say Kalmy has 2 characters on separate accounts. Druid + Monk. his monk is his "roommate's" character and he's boxing those accounts. if i ban both accounts i'm probably not going to lose sleep over it.

However...If kalmy borrows Tixel's druid to help himself level then I am going to feel pretty bad about banning Tixel. Will i do it? yes. Will it suck immensely for Tixel? yes. Will i give in and unban her? No. I have no way to prove it was kalmy being selfish and not Tixel being selfish.

Don't box in the first place and then you don't risk losing your friends character along with yours....just sayin...

(Sorry to pick on you Kalmy)

As far as boxing in general goes...it is against the rules and we do actively hunt for boxers. If you know of anyone boxing or see it, feel free to /tell amelinda or submit it via petition. Even if they are in separate zones we CAN and WILL catch them.

PS you are not as slick as you think...

In this case, only people who ALREADY have exemptions can ostensibly use their friends account to 2-box.

This is untrue. People use proxies, neighbor's wireless, cell phone tethers, air cards etc. People get freakin creative with boxing. Some people with legit ip exemptions use that to abuse the system once in a while and others request for a "wife" and 'brother' and "roommate" and "dog".

Why would they do that? I mean it doesn't take long to level a druid or wizard up to porting level, and the added layer of people is nothing but a risk. It doesn't make any sense.

laziness? but mostly it's because THEY THINK THEY WILL NOT GET CAUGHT.

I don't quite understand why multi-boxing is such a big deal.

If we allowed multi-boxing, everybody would just use macroquest and group with themselves. It would totally destroy a sense of community and having to rely on others to do things.

It seems to me that if you wanted to discourage multi-boxing .. or better yet promote grouping and community, then all you would have to do is give a bonus for groups that include players from different IP addresses, and cancel group bonuses (or even penalize) from groups that have multiple players from the same IP.

So i get six characters going, fire up MQ and connect through 6 proxies. problem solved, i get to 6-box AND I get an xp bonus....:/

until a GM or guide catches me....then I get 6 accounts banned...fun deal.

Lazortag
07-05-2011, 12:10 AM
nalkin likes to two-box with a character named "Kimmie" but I don't report him because honestly I feel kind of sad that he has an imaginary girlfriend.

Amelinda
07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
nalkin likes to two-box with a character named "Kimmie" but I don't report him because honestly I feel kind of sad that he has an imaginary girlfriend.

Pfft. haven't you heard? i can't ban myself...duh...i'm obviously kimmie ;) at least...if you believe the tags.

Trademaster
07-05-2011, 12:32 AM
You're not Kimmie, you're Tralina, why else would you have quit playing?

Simreal
07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I agree there are pro's and con's and arguments for both sides. I believe there are legit reason to multi box as well as reasons not to. I don't necessarily feel strongly about either side of that argument. I run my own server and if I wanted to multi box I could do it there. I play on P99 today only because I don't want to give up all the time I put in there.

My argument was exactly that though ... I'm not arguing that's it's good or bad. I'm simply arguing that I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I've heard the arguments for and against. I just haven't heard anything that's secured my desire to support either side.

Slave
07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Thank you Amelinda for reading our posts and responding. I seriously must have been tired or something; I've seen people go to pretty insane lengths to cheat on, I think, every single game I've ever played.

Stormhowl
07-05-2011, 01:31 AM
My argument was exactly that though ... I'm not arguing that's it's good or bad. I'm simply arguing that I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I've heard the arguments for and against. I just haven't heard anything that's secured my desire to support either side.

Nothing is inherently good or bad in this world, it's just a matter of perspective. Your support for one side or the other doesn't matter; what matters is the perspective and belief of the people who run the server and make the rules. They deem multi-boxing to be bad, and as such, any arguments for or against boxing are moot because they have clearly decided they don't want people boxing at all.

Uthgaard
07-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Amelinda made an announcement, the point either sunk in or it didn't. There's nothing that can be said about 2boxing that hasn't already been said in a hundred other threads, and none of it is up for debate.