PDA

View Full Version : server life?

Caridry
07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
So as I am really getting settled in, i realized how much i VERY much loved everquest and how much i missed it. Im glad i quit when i did (shortly before ykesha, was just too hard playing catchup turning into a casual player), but this server is everything i could of ever asked for. A good player base, friendly people, great community... My question is... think this will be around 2 years, years down the road? (yes i intend on playing as long as this server is up and running)

Much love!

Uthgaard
07-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Server isn't going anywhere. Anyone who has thought otherwise weeps in sorrow.

Caridry
07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I am very glad this has been done, I love every thing about this =)

Krait
07-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I echo Caridry's sentiments and applaud Uthgaard's response.

greatdane
07-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm sure the server will be around for a long time, but if nothing happens after Velious and it's been open for a few years, I think interest will wane as everyone has finally done everything they care to do. Especially since Velious doesn't add new levels. Then it'll eventually reach the point where there's so few players that the lack of players makes more players leave, and eventually it'll be down to a hundred or so lingerers plus the occasional newbie. That's a long way away, though. I wouldn't expect any kind of decline for another two or three years.

Slave
07-08-2011, 11:24 PM
A good server population will last at least a year into Velious. So yeah, I'd have to say AT LEAST two years on that score.

purist
07-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Server will have decent population until Diablo: III comes out.

Then it'll be like 140 people on at peak times.

Felwithemagi
07-09-2011, 01:41 AM
I suspect this server will be around a while. Being new here, but 'old' on live, it appears to have a well rounded population and is maintained and administered, which is a good sign. So kudos and thanks to all the admins.

EvilMallet
07-09-2011, 06:24 AM
I think it will be around until EQNext is here to satiate our nerdiness.

Pudge
07-09-2011, 06:47 AM
i really want EQNext to be good... but i fear it may just end up like every other MMO after EQ.. they're all made for newbs nowadays

ogrelord
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
EQ has been the best MMO since it released. I have tried many since and none have compared. I hope to see this project last a long long time.

PITH

Psionide
07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up for EQNext.

Nytewind TP
07-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I see 700+ on at times. I seriously doubt D3 will hit P99 that badly. I'm interested in D3, but not to that level. Skyrim is what I'm looking forward to but even then a totally different type of game that will hold my interest for a period of time but like any other game in the past I'll come back to EQ.

JenJen
07-09-2011, 09:57 AM
love it when someone pipes up with "EQ/Server is gonna die when such and such is released" - just because you're a fanboy of some random game doesnt mean 70% of the server population is. I remember people spouting bollocks like that back in live times and the servers just kept filling up.

Torin_Stormchaser
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Never really have been a Diablo fan, most of the people I know playing wouldn't get excited about it's release either.
Why would you even assume that another game would drop the population so low? Are there that many people on the server who don't have any sort of loyalty to games that they play?

Krait
07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

I'll play Diablo III, but who says people can only be into one game at a time?

JenJen
07-09-2011, 11:33 AM
maybe we've just been skilfully trolled. well done purist :D

Thana8088
07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Server isn't going anywhere. Anyone who has thought otherwise weeps in sorrow.

You make this druid very, very happy. :):):):):)

dusk883
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
P99 is an amazing thing, thats for sure

Caridry
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
You make this druid very, very happy. :):):):):)

this druid as well =D I really love people who devote their time, skills to keeping such a good thing alive =)

superapan
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
First post, yay?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying old EQ, never really thought I would. But I realize: why waste my time on another same 'ol MMO that'll last for the free first 30 days, and then down the toilet? This I know I love, and I know y'all do too! Plus, the community here seems really great, people I play with are really polite - granted char names here seem a bit more retarded here than I remember back on live...

But the whole holy grail attitude towards Velious being the very end is only for show, I reckon. At the end of the day, we all want more stuff. Luclin zones weren't very cool, but I think AAs were...

Malev
07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
I started this weekend and my first thought was, ugh... EQ, after spending a bit playing a cleric and dying several times first level, and second level, and spending a while getting through third.

Then I started to notice something other MMO's haven't given me since EQ... enjoyment. The feeling of accomplishment when you take a few hours to get a level instead of a few minutes. Even when I died and lost level 6 I think it was, and was back at level 5 I thought... this is why the bad people were so much more obvious leveling up, and raged a lot louder every time something went wrong. Other MMO's are just so goddamned easy and forgiving, there is no sense of accomplishment. Then when you raid with people they give up on the first wipe cause they've had an ez mode time through the game.

The EQ world seems better too. Something about it seems more real and immersive, maybe the lack of open serverwide channels? Maybe the time it takes to travel and the actual loss when you die instead of a 30 second run back to corpse? Maybe it's just that there is some empty spaces in nektulos where I'm leveling and not endless mobs populating every inch of space, and the fact that every mob can't just be leashed. If you get a red mob and it's beating the shit out of you, you run for a zone line or guards that may be very far away.

Anyway, thanks, after many years of not playing EQ, I find I still like it better, and Kunark was a golden age.

runlvlzero
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I keep coming back here.... wow cataclysm, roguelikes, dwarf fortress, tetris, not even sex can keep me from EQ... and I even re-subbed to live for a few months and still p99 is the best.