PDA

View Full Version : Is Roleplaying Frowned upon on this server?

nagarpoe
07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Is Roleplaying frowned upon on this server?

Otherwise It's sooooooo boring if you're not in a lively group chat (not constant chatter of course)... pull, hit, kill, check mana, rinse repeat..

Are there people who roleplay even slightly and adventure in uncommon-hunted zones?

I mean, This server isn't going to keep getting expansion after expansion... what's the hurry with everyone.. grind grind grind?

Stop and smell the roses... and roleplay and adventure!

Jenithia
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Time to slay the dragon!

In all seriousness, I wish people did more of it too.

Cippofra
07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Some people just arent into it. I've never cared about role playing because it's just wierd. I play video games because I want to be entertained. If I wanted to pretend im a wood elf i wouldn't need a video game to do it. I'd go buy a green tunic and walk around the neighborhood or something. I'm a little freaked out by people that take role playing seriously actually.

Stormhowl
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I've been here for about... 2 months now? Something like that. I haven't seen any RP, but considering the attitudes I see in /shout and /ooc? I'm sure it would be met with "lolrp go kill yourself <homophobic epithet>, since ull never get laid anyways". Yes, I know, public channels are not a good indicator of how the community in general acts, but then again, neither are forums yet we have admins saying to cut the drama because it is scaring people away. ;)

It's a shame too, because I think RP makes things better. Who cares if you're still grinding away in OT or DL or KC? At least you're having fun and chatting with people rather than seeing a chat log full of "20m. Good for one", "FM", "inc sarnak" :P

I think, and this is just my personal observation, the quality and quantity of roleplaying you will find depends on how open to customization the game is and how open ended the game is. EQ1, for example, doesn't necessarily facilitate RP because its very closed; you have some semblance of goals (leveling up a single class with no way to customize yourself, for example). However, if we look at Ultima Online (before it got buggered up and caused an exodus of players), we see a very open, skill-based system that lets you make whatever kind of character you want, and with an open and very detailed rule-set in player versus player interaction, you can play any number of roles.

TL;DR, open ended games foster RP. EQ1 isn't as open ended as it would appear, and therefore doesn't facilitate a good RP community. Emulator or not. :/

Edit: Of course, then there's just people who don't understand what roleplaying is and foster a highly negative attitude towards it, which destroys any sort of environment for RP...

Some people just arent into it. I've never cared about role playing because it's just wierd. I play video games because I want to be entertained. If I wanted to pretend im a wood elf i wouldn't need a video game to do it. I'd go buy a green tunic and walk around the neighborhood or something. I'm a little freaked out by people that take role playing seriously actually.

LARP (Live Action Role Playing), which you are describing, is not the same as RPing in a game. RPing in game is hardly any different than writing a book, because both things require a person to get into a characters head, put them in a situation, and act it out. The biggest difference is RPing requires you to be spontaneous and interact with other people, where as writing is about writing multiple characters by yourself.

The only difference is, people hate on RPers but LOVE writers (even bad ones like Stephanie Meyer, R.A. Salvatore, and George Martin).

Pinky
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
I am... I find constantly I'm in groups that don't talk T_T its frustrating. lol
I definitely go to the uncommon zones, such as Kedge.. adventuresss! haha Lets do Kith at night =D

Ihealyou
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
People don't hate on roleplayers. Ninik roleplays, and everyone loves it. If you create a fun and entertaining character, people will like it and play along with you. If you're a boring, generic, medieval character who speaks old english all the time, they won't.

Deadmantis
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
We have a guy in our guild who roleplays his ogre character all the time. I find it entertaining and most of all reassuring that RP is not completely dead on this server. :)

nagarpoe
07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Stormhowl,

I agree with you on the difference between LARPing and Fun roleplaying in a game.

Roleplaying in a game doesn't have to be serious but sure beats just saying what Mana I'm at.

You put all that is in my head perfectly!

Cippofra
07-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Most of the groups I am in have plenty of very entertaining conversations without roleplaying. Just have to meet the right people.

nagarpoe
07-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Ah...we definitely do NOT play old stuffy english characters.

In fact, I try to be light hearted and jovial in order to roleplay my character...but still, people were silent and non-interactive.

I just had to leave this group (although exp was great and everything functioned well) because i just got bored out of my mind after an hour of silence but Fm, Oom, Add, Root, Incs,

Stormhowl
07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Stormhowl,

I agree with you on the difference between LARPing and Fun roleplaying in a game.

Roleplaying in a game doesn't have to be serious but sure beats just saying what Mana I'm at.

You put all that is in my head perfectly!

Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you. In fact, I'd be a hypocrite NOT to agree with you, since I'm a writer and I'm constantly RPing about a dozen or so main characters by myself.

I'd love to have a good RP conversation while grouped with someone though, just once while I'm on this server. I'm sure it'll be more fun than writing, that's for sure. ;)

nagarpoe
07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I see now that I just have to be patient and I am sure that like minded players or guilds are just around the corner.

Thank you all!

Knuckle
07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you. In fact, I'd be a hypocrite NOT to agree with you, since I'm a writer and I'm constantly RPing about a dozen or so main characters by myself.

I'd love to have a good RP conversation while grouped with someone though, just once while I'm on this server. I'm sure it'll be more fun than writing, that's for sure. ;)

oh your a writer, why dont you post your book so we can shit all over it 10 harder than anything your opinion might mean concerning the god of writing that is salvatore.

nagarpoe
07-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Knuckle,

I don't know you or Stormhowl but I do love R.A Salvatore too..

But Isn't a "You scumbag piece of shit" a little too extreme for someone who is just expressing their opinion? I'm sure he didn't intend to invoke that strong of a reaction from you.

Krait
07-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd RP more if I knew how beyond my own peronality. Until then you'll have to put up with busy but polite. My parents weren't homeless or struck by lightning or forced by rabid pixies to give me up for adoption. Sorry.

Stormhowl
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Knuckle,

I don't know you or Stormhowl but I do love R.A Salvatore too..

But Isn't a "You scumbag piece of shit" a little too extreme for someone who is just expressing their opinion? I'm sure he didn't intend to invoke that strong of a reaction from you.

It is too extreme, but that's why he made it onto my ignore list faster than "Joey" was cancelled. It's still amazing that a single sentence (calling Salvatore a bad writer) was enough to elicit such a vitriolic response though. :)

At any rate, my opinions on Salvatore aren't relevant to this thread, so I'm not going to share them nor discuss them here. Besides, I prefer to keep my more opinionated discussions among friends and off the internet.

Mirakk82
07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
I roleplay at all times while playing, and screw anyone and their opinion of it. That's how I roll. Most people won't roleplay with you much, so don't expect much in the way of character development, but who gives a shit? It's fun, so do it :D

Estu
07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
writers (even bad ones like ... George Martin).

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Knuckle
07-09-2011, 10:18 PM

Krait
07-09-2011, 10:45 PM
If someone hosts a RP event or "clinic" I'd actually be interested in attending. Gotta start somewhere so let me know.

guineapig
07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Knock it off, you are in server chat.

ukaking
07-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Ive found most players will play along with our all Iksar guild. We just refer to them as softskins or meat bags and they roll right along with it.

SupaflyIRL
07-10-2011, 01:33 AM
The only people who roleplayed on live were ogres that typed like they were retarded people, that was the extent of it.

Ive found most players will play along with our all Iksar guild. We just refer to them as softskins or meat bags and they roll right along with it.

You realize iksars are made of meat right? You're not a robot and this is not Mass Effect.

Shinster
07-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Softskins would probably be a better term than meatbag.

Concerning the thread, I don't frown upon RP. I approve of it. I don't really do it, but I am vocal in my groups if others will be. Just depends on whats going on. In essence, I don't initiate.

Eabon
07-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Roleplaying can be pretty hilarious as long as you don't take it too seriously. This one time I ran into this troll named Tugtog and we had this pretty awesome halfling-troll semi-roleplay back-and-forth dynamic going on.
Where are you Tugtog?!?!!!!!??????

And also, the all-iksar guild was/is a pretty awesome idea. However, I still hold steadfastly to my previously asserted opinion that the Lizardmen of Cazic Thule are in fact the superior caste of lizardmen.

I used to be in Halfling Nation on Fennin Ro, later Underfoot Nation. That shit rocked.

Tiggles
07-10-2011, 02:48 AM
I won't group with RPers

JenJen
07-10-2011, 03:05 AM
has there been a "wedding" yet on this server?

Stormhowl
07-10-2011, 04:48 AM

an extension of this question, but do GMs do surname changes to facilitate RP marriages?

I remember being the priest for an RP wedding as a dwarf cleric. Now that was interesting. Free ale all around with that clickie. ;)

guineapig
07-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Yes, I know of at least 2 weddings.

Talori
07-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Just keep snakes away from Spleef.... he hates snakes!!

My husband tends to roleplay in many circumstances. You will miss most of it if you don't watch emotes - he tinkers, plays, and is an all out crazy gnome. I just try to quietly keep him out of trouble - that is what wives do :)

Unfortunately Spleef is a rare appearance these days, hoping to get him to play with me more - but he is a busy guy these days.

Nytewind TP
07-10-2011, 10:01 AM
A few of my close friends I've met from gaming/EQ in general I met in a pick up group in DL years ago. Got invited to there guild and have been friends in RL for years. You make a good connection and have fun with anyone then EQ becomes fun.

JenJen
07-10-2011, 10:01 AM
where did these weddings occur, guineapig?

Bubbles
07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
where did these weddings occur, guineapig?

Pretty sure Barthorn and Bazek got married like a year ago in Steamfont.. It was a pretty big deal.

Nytewind TP
07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I attending one in game wedding back in the day. It was on one of the platforms that overlooked Lake Rath.

Tiggles
07-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes, I know of at least 2 weddings.

Is this true?

If so

Who would like to have an in game marriage to me?

I am 100% serious its on my bucket list of things to do in EQ is get married in game.

Please post applications here with the following information.

Character Name:
Gender in game (female only need apply)
Guild:
Level:
and class

And why would you want to marry me?

A diamond wedding ring will be provided and condition that you keep my sir name.

Also I am looking for a cleric to attend to make it official.

I would prefer to marry someone from a guild who raids.

deneauth
07-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I attended a guild wedding on Veeshan server a long time ago in the Erudin Palace, and I quit the game shortly afterwards. EQ character weddings cross a line for me. I understand that others may not share this view, and others will. I like to roleplay lightly on my warrior and ranger sometimes, but it mainly amounts to battlecries and forage jokes. Mainly I just get drunk and and tank, cause thats what warriors do, I have a blast doing it.

Littlegyno
07-10-2011, 01:00 PM
does P99 condone same sex marriages ingame for roleplaying purposes?

Littlegyno and Biggyno would like to be recognized as a legitimate couple.

nagarpoe
07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Your guild sounds great. I have an iksar character.

Harbingers of Thule seems to be the kind of roleplaying guild (not too much, not too little) I'd like to join. I will seek out an officer in game. Thank you so much.

Spud
07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
There was a gay wedding between two dwarves in steamfont mountains and wedding between two halflings in Rivervale.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/etherealmist85/drunk.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/etherealmist85/loralaiwedding6-1.jpg

JenJen
07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
tiggles got any offers yet?

Tiggles
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
tiggles got any offers yet?

Just one.

But love can come slow

TopherJL
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
/ignore roleplayers

Ronas
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Like roleplay a Asian or something?

What you want? What your name? Me go get that you here and hit.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
>Switch language to Dark Elf
>Talk to a lowbie Dark Elf, offer buffs, laugh together about the "sub-elf" creatures he's grouped with
>Get berated by lowbie dwarf that you're too dumb to change the language back to common and no one understands you
>Continue conversing only in Dark Elf
>Open the door, get on the floor
>Everybody walk the dinosaur

Dr4z3r
07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Roleplaying is fun, but anytime I'm in a decent group I just wouldn't be able to keep up.

A cleric might be able to get away with mumbling prayers and admonishing followers of Bertoxx in between CH's, but a Bard just doesn't have that much free time.

PurelyElf
07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
However, if we look at Ultima Online (before it got buggered up and caused an exodus of players), we see a very open, skill-based system that lets you make whatever kind of character you want, and with an open and very detailed rule-set in player versus player interaction, you can play any number of roles.

TL;DR, open ended games foster RP. EQ1 isn't as open ended as it would appear, and therefore doesn't facilitate a good RP community. Emulator or not. :/

EQ can be open ended, if you let it. Come join us pvp lobbyists; add a touch of realism and depth to your boring in-game existence. It's much easier to be a roleplayer on a pvp server. I was a light RPer on live for years.

On RZ, I was a polite and kind wizard who PK'd people at random. The people I met in game liked me except when they hated me. On VZ, I was a tree-hugging elf bard that killed all non-elves for their atrocities against nature. Later on, I made an alt during the time the server was largely light races vs dark races (ogre, troll, dark elf, iksar). A dark elf warrior. Lived in gfay killing orcs, refused to raise a sword against any lights. It was a hard life, trying to make friends with the NPCs and PCs who hated me for my race. A very Drizzt-like story, maybe uninspired, but WAY fun. Eventually I made some dwarf and elf friends, and they protected me and treated me with kindness.:D

If you RP on a pvp server, you won't get as much shit, 'cause it provides you with a legitimate reason to do so. Give up the bluebox for a sandbox game imo.

and for you wedding lovers: http://www.notacult.com/episode2.htm

^a celebrated roleplayer from RZ/SZ :O

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
07-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Roleplaying is fun, but anytime I'm in a decent group I just wouldn't be able to keep up.

A cleric might be able to get away with mumbling prayers and admonishing followers of Bertoxx in between CH's, but a Bard just doesn't have that much free time.

A bard, you say? Cunning and witty, clever and quick... It shouldn't be hard to come up with a trick.

Take a second and think of a rhyme, even if clerics berate you, they're on YOUR time.

Without you they're manaless in the fight. Tell them to screw off, go have fun and kite.

gnomishfirework
07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I attended a wedding in SWG.

I was a bounty hunter and one of the groomsmen was my target. People get so pissy.

That was a game that BEGGED for RP to happen. I could get into being a bounty hunter. I wish they hadnt killed the game.

Deadmantis
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Here is a screenshot from an EQ wedding in the Arena, I think this was on the Ayonae Ro server. A Wood Elf marrying a Dark Elf with Luclin graphics enabled.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd405/deadmantis/dogwedding2.jpg

Felwithemagi
07-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Pretty gutsy getting married in the Arena zone. The right people get wind of that and guilds mobilize to rain on your special day. Yeah...that was real roleplaying.

Xaleban
07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Roleplaying freaks me out. Its even creepy?

Aadill
07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I love Ninik.

Dr4z3r
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
A bard, you say? Cunning and witty, clever and quick... It shouldn't be hard to come up with a trick.

Take a second and think of a rhyme, even if clerics berate you, they're on YOUR time.

Without you they're manaless in the fight. Tell them to screw off, go have fun and kite.

You try do1ing that2 while y3ou're twistin4g. It's t1ough.

Wors[TAB, 8]e is w[TAB, TAB, 8]hen 1you're CC. 2

aDaoana'ata eavaeana baoatahaeara wahaialaea kaiataianaga.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
You try do1ing that2 while y3ou're twistin4g. It's t1ough.

Wors[TAB, 8]e is w[TAB, TAB, 8]hen 1you're CC. 2

aDaoana'ata eavaeana baoatahaeara wahaialaea kaiataianaga.

Bahahahaha

Poor Bards.

/cast 3
Starie tells the group, "COMPLETE HEAL on group_member_01"
/sit
Starie tells the group, "MY JOB HERE IS DONE."

username17
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I love RPing, but for the most part it doesn't happen.
I don't RP in XP groups cause I'm typically too busy.

But I will stop and RP with a fellow Barbarian if I see one. Ask about the weather in Everfrost, compliment them on their kilt, etc.

I'd love to RP more, but I get most of it out of my system when I'm playing D&D.

Swish
07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Who would like to have an in game marriage to me?

I am 100% serious its on my bucket list of things to do in EQ is get married in game.

Anyone applies will be doing so for +1 reasons? :D

I sometimes roleplay on my troll SK (when I play him, which isn't recently)... its a lot of fun, was going to give him the surname "Timberlake" for bringing sexeh back and all, but never applied it yet ;)

BrandeX
07-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Roleplaying freaks me out. Its even creepy?

This.

Are people pretending to be soldiers or such in FPS? role-playing while going head to head in an RTS online? "RPG" is a misnomer, they (EQ, etc.) are online fantasy themed games (OFG's?) pretending to be your character seems akin to mental illness. Similar to watching your friend playing Super Mario, and he is talking to you "Hey, how abouta you getsa sum mushroom pizza while I'ma fighting the koopas, Johnigi?"

JenJen
07-12-2011, 02:29 AM
^ haha

EvilMallet
07-12-2011, 04:06 AM

Seriously. Stormhowl, you should have left it at Stephanie and kept it at that. Jesus, man.

ogrelord
07-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Roleplaying your character is half the fun. From my own personal experience it seems that other players enjoy it or atleast react to rping in a possitive way.

PITH

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Eh rp if you enjoy it. The people you find with the lolrp go kill yourself mindset like to gather in groups and they label themselves for easier identification. Just ignore them. Personally I always enjoyed people who do some rp in game but not 100pct, a mix if you will.

Pretty gutsy getting married in the Arena zone. The right people get wind of that and guilds mobilize to rain on your special day. Yeah...that was real roleplaying.

Works as bait also.

Messianic
07-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I use this (http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html) to translate my words into RP-speak

RiffDaemon
07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I've met some roleplayers on this server, and I'm a roleplayer, as well. However, I do understand the hate for it: No one wants the group killed because the Troll leader was barking orders that no one could understand :D

Stormhowl
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
role-playing while going head to head in an RTS online? "RPG" is a misnomer, they (EQ, etc.) are online fantasy themed games (OFG's?) pretending to be your character seems akin to mental illness.

Except it's not a mental illness. Roleplaying isn't any different than what a (good) writer does to make their characters more than just a 2 dimensional stereotype that mindlessly goes along with the plot.

BrandeX
07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
So why aren't people pretending to be their characters in other kinds games? That's the one I don't get. RP'ing as an Ash Ketchum wannabe while going head to head on your gameboy with pokemon, or talking in character while going around the track in mario kart, or w/e. Talking in character as Master Chief, etc. Do non-fantasy mmo's have this issue of people pretending to be their imaginary avatar in game? I haven't noticed it that I recall.

Stormhowl
07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
So why aren't people pretending to be their characters in other kinds games? That's the one I don't get. RP'ing as an Ash Ketchum wannabe while going head to head on your gameboy with pokemon, or talking in character while going around the track in mario kart, or w/e. Talking in character as Master Chief, etc. Do non-fantasy mmo's have this issue of people pretending to be their imaginary avatar in game? I haven't noticed it that I recall.

because that's not what RP is. Id recommend doing more actual reading on the subject than just throwing out blanket, simplistic generalizations that only serve to denigrate the act of RPing.

hint: its not about speaking "in character" for a character that already has a personality and/or story.

PurelyElf
07-13-2011, 01:16 AM
idk about you guys, but i always rp a 10-year old girl fighting the forces of evil and helping to further pokemon research when i play pokemon. or rly any game :o

ojamajoe
07-13-2011, 01:19 AM

People do roleplay in non-fantasy games. It was a big deal in old SWG, for one. People don't tend to roleplay other peoples' characters, which of course is exactly what Ash, Mario, and Master Chief are...

In a game that encourages you to create a character, like this one, and is as relatively open-ended as EQ, roleplay is not uncommon. A lot of that type of game seems to be fantasy based... but really any of the mmo(rpg)'s will have a similar number of people doing it in my experience.

It is interesting to note how far everquest has wandered from its roleplaying roots. In the beginning, there was an assumption that people would be roleplaying the game; hence the existence of an OOC channel vs /say and /shout, and the fact that /roleplay wasn't added until large numbers of people were playing who were antipathetic to this aspect of the "vision".

And I don't so much pretend to be my character as I pretend that my character is somebody who is not me. Even on P99, Iosefis is a Koada'Dal with a keen interest in exploration and a scholarly bent; not the avatar of a 30-something dude with nothing better to do than play a free 11-year-old mmorpg in his spare time.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
07-13-2011, 10:28 AM
And I don't so much pretend to be my character as I pretend that my character is somebody who is not me. Even on P99, Iosefis is a Koada'Dal with a keen interest in exploration and a scholarly bent; not the avatar of a 30-something dude with nothing better to do than play a free 11-year-old mmorpg in his spare time.

Nailed it

Brut
07-13-2011, 10:33 AM
/shrug, RPing lightly pretty much all the time unless sleepy/ragemode; hardly ever anyone got on my case about it. And as ogre it only really means inserting poor grammars, referring to yourself in third person, biting the occasional snack-specie passerby, speaking alot about biting the occasional snack-specie passerby, and being vastly racist towards everything that isn't an ogre (and if it's an ogre of other class/level than you, should hate on that too). Most RP-hefty effort from me really is to make sure all me food supplies consist of dwarf/gnome pickles. And occasionally raiding the windmills in steamfont for good measure. Em baldin' little mages scampering to their watchmen that aren't there is an endless source of joy!

Hasbinbad
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
stormhowl, you should hook up with cyrano, you guys would get along great

Koa Bosk
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I love RPG games. I can understand how strange it can be to some and scary to others. It is like acting, your playing a part. I have a wood elf that loves nature and likes to help people out when he can. On the other hand, my Iksar hates all softskins but tolerates those that speak Lizardman or Dark speech, and wants them all of his land, especially the humans and elves that have come to his peoples shores to claim the land as their own.

BrandeX
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
So if a human speaking common was soloing in OT for example, as you pass by would you tell him to get off Iksar land? If you did rp that, and the guy responded with "Ok, here's 1k pp to let me pull mobs for the next hour without bothering me.", would you refuse as it would be in character to hate and not trust them?

Stormhowl
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
stormhowl, you should hook up with cyrano, you guys would get along great

I don't know who that is, I don't know why I should care, and I don't understand what that has to do with the thread's topic.

So if a human speaking common was soloing in OT for example, as you pass by would you tell him to get off Iksar land? If you did rp that, and the guy responded with "Ok, here's 1k pp to let me pull mobs for the next hour without bothering me.", would you refuse as it would be in character to hate and not trust them?

I don't see this deserving of an answer. You use probably the most outlandish, unlikely, and silliest example that clearly paints your argument with a huge amount of bias that shows your believe that you think RP is silly, outlandish, and the product of a mentally unstable mind.

Use a more realistic example.

Klyre
07-16-2011, 09:47 AM
It was a cool day tuning to evening at the docks. The sun was setting to the west of the great city of Freeport which cast a bizarre light over the town, for Freeport faced east over the Ocean of Tears aptly named for all of the adventures who died there. The sound of the ocean waves mingled with the faint sounds of merriment further back in the city. Had anyone been there they would have been startled to hear a great duo splash not far off the peer. Slowly climbing out of the water was a pair of unlikely figures coughing and sputtering to clear the salt water from their mouths. The first was a man of average height wearing a robe which automatically signified a scholar of the Wizardly profession. He wore his hood up and yet you could see a telltale sign of a mark or brand on his neck of some strange symbol. His eyes were a paradox as anyone could see that he was blind. His only sight now belonged to his magical powers through an Eye of Zomm. Stranger yet was the second walking on four legs and a fur coat of shinning grey silver, a wolf by anyone’s sight. The wolf sidled up to the wizard and allowed the hooded figure to reach out a hand and rest his hand on the soft smooth coat of the wolfs back. A few more weezzes , a shake of the wolfs mane and striding forward the canine led the blind man forward between the buildings made of ramshackle wood buildings of the fishing town.

It was not long before they encountered the watch, men in red and silver plate mail with helmets shaped like spires. “Halt!” cried the burliest of the three guards. “In the name of the Freeport Militia and Captain of the guards state you’re Name and your business!” Both figures ground to a halt and turned to face the Guard. The other two guards looked apprehensively at the silver wolf as if worried it would pounce. “I am Acillatem of the guild Vesica Dei, my companion and I are looking for an Inn for some Ale and board as we have traveled far and are in need of rest.” The lead soldier seemed to soften his gaze as he realized when the robed man had turned to him that he was blind from the vacant seemingly stupid roll of his eyes. The guard considered that he had heard of this group of adventures of which was said on most occasions to be honorable except for the rumor of one called Trampoline a rogue of questionable character. He then relented. You will find the Freeport Inn just down the south alley. The wolf immediately set off leading the Wizard off in the indicated direction. The Wizard smiled in secret as the guards gasped quietly at this seeming odd behavior. A most unusual pair thought the Captain.

The street was dirty and quite as the pair reached the INN and Acillatem opened the door. An engaging smell wafted out of the room with the smell of Ale and fresh baked bread mingled with some animal roasting on the spit. “Greetings my good man” cried the Bartender wearing a well worn apron and huge smile. He was dark haired and pale skin of one who is constantly indoors. The room was about half full will strange people of many races, Dwarves, Elves, Humans and even a Gnome sitting on the bar as he was too short to sit at the stools. “Ale and a room for me and my companion good innkeeper.” Without a second thought the man placed two mugs on the wood oak bar and slid them to Acillatem. He reached for his pouch and placed a few silver and gold next to the mugs as payment. He placed one mug on the floor and reached for the other. Acillatem lifted it to his lips and began to drink and raised it still further as everyone in the Inn was now watching this blind man with interest. He raised it more until it was clear that it was empty and bringing it down again to place it on the bar. “Sleep, sleep is what I need…come I need to go to my room” His strange faraway look drooped and looked stranger still. The wolf who had barely lapped a drop moved under the hand of the Wizard. The Innkeeper pointed to the stairs next to the hearth that led to the rooms aloft.

The wolf stepped forth and the Wizard dutifully followed. The wolf began to pace ever faster across the room. The wizard was clearly having difficulty keeping his step and clung more firmly to the wolfs mane. Before anyone could move the wolf leaped forward toward the stairs and pulled the hapless Wizard off his feet as his momentum propelled him not up the stairs but directly into the side of the hearth with the meat still roasting on the spit. Acillatem slumped to the floor his skull clearly caved in. He jerked and twitched twice and then lay still. The brash noise of the atmosphere in the room came to a screaming halt and not even a breath of wind seemed to have the courage to make a sound. The wolf turned away from the body, made a great leap for the bar and in a blur that seemed to be made of jade and coalesced into a female with long flowing hair, eyes that sparkled like diamonds. She wore a Dark Green tunic with matching breeches. She was beautiful as any princess of the land. Dumfounded beyond belief the Innkeeper studied this new apparition and realized that this was no common wolf to lead a blind man but a Druid of great power. The Druid reached into her pouch and produced more coin and laid it on the table. “Ale Barkeep I am thirsty”! Stunned the Innkeeper reflexively reached for a mug and began to pour. “You killed him, a poor blind man.” He shivered. “Aye that I did damn his soul, never lets me finish my drink” The fire in her eyes was real and would brook no argument.

From the dark recess of the rooms corner table rose two figures one a female all in purple armor and clearly a servant of the order of light and the other a man of mid years in a flowing emerald green robe a sigil of the Enchanters guild. The Druid smiled a fiery smile and shouted a greeting “Eras! (looking at the man and then turning to the Cleric), Klyre well met!” Clear joy was on her face now to see what clearly she thought of as good companions. Eras clearly had a frown of disproval on his face. “Not again Jenithia.” “Yes, wasn’t it Senaiel last moon?” asked Klyre. The Druid laughed and scowled simultaneously which was a feat in itself. “He deserved it the pompas ass.” as she considers his corpse. “We just have come from the Plane of Sky where we almost die from his lack of patience and then he throws us off the edge before I have a chance to loot the booty.” The Innkeeper becomes bold enough to speak “But what about the body?” Klyre, Jenithia and Eras all begin to laugh at once at the Barkeep. “What?” he inquires. Klyre steps forward “Jeni does this all the time…..I will Rez him in the morning and he will be as right as rain.” The Barkeep considers… “But…but won’t he be spitting mad and Blast my poor Inn to dust?” Again the three companions smiled and Eras spoke “My good man he won’t remember a thing” He winked “I will take care of that” and the three retreated back into the corner where they all sat and began a conversation of high spirits, with a laugh heard now and again. “Barkeep more Ale” yelled Jenithia from the table. The Barkeep sighed and resigned himself to an interesting evening. He poured three Ale’s and walked from behind the bar to deliver his drinks and almost tripped over Acillatem. He regained his balance, considered and began to chuckle. “Ha! Interesting indeed” as he continued his pace with a lighter step across the room.

Just then, a broken and bloodied half-elven, half-human, all-fail woodsman burst into the inn through the swinging doors. Why, it was Yendor, the fragile ranger! T'was strange how no one had ever really seen both Yendor and the infamous superhero 'The Shoveler' in the same place at the same time. Surely, such a hapless, injury-prone guardian of nature could never be the alter ego for such a courageous and daring hero!

"I just nearly died foraging this rabbit meat!" he exclaimed to the group, holding up a chunk of dirt-covered bunny flesh as the swinging doors reached the fullest extent of their rotation and then reversed direction, slamming into Yendor and killing him instantly.

The remaining band of guildmates blinked their eyes and the momentary interruption, not fully certain what had just happened, and then turned back to their animated tales of that day's adventures in the Plane of Sky.

Nivar Quartz
07-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I love Ninik.

I'll shank anyone who calls Ninik a freak for roleplaying, of course we will have to roleplay the stabbing and i'll need ur help in making this successful!

Talori
07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Poor Ace.... I think you forgot to rez him Klyre, haven't seen him for weeks!

I enjoy taking part in a good story from time to time. With the right group of people it can be a load of fun. A passing comment in roleplay can turn into a good laugh.

Slathar
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
i role play an abusive father who beats his wife and is an alcoholic who sometimes packs his butt crack with molasses and bits of cement

ding dong!

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 01:41 PM
IMO if you want to role play do it, people are going to enjoy it. If anything it will be hilarious, and shows a good sense of humor/creativity!

Ektar
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm going to admit I've breached etiquette and I skipped reading the thread and am just going to say something without knowing if it's been said before. If so, I apologize.

Roleplaying is enjoyable if you do it right. By "right" I don't mean roleplaying undeniably how a soandso of suchandsuch race would act; I mean right related to people enjoying it. If you do things without any element of entertainment you will be viewed as obnoxious or embarrassing. If you do it "right" it will be welcomed and encouraged.

For example, one time in EC I saw this dude handing out buffs with two, rather long, social hotkeys for "/say loadofcrap loadofcrap %T loadofcrap" and "/say loadofcrap loadofcrap loadofcrap %T loadofcrap." it was embarrassing to even hear.

Or, if you are roleplaying a dark elf shadowknight who treats everyone like shit and you have no redeeming qualities, you will be obnoxious.

But, if you roleplay a silly troll shaman who talks funny and quasi-randomly makes funny emotes that have reasonable shock value, you will be praised. I remember once a troll just, out of nowhere, going behind a female character and "eating her hair."

Dantes
07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
:(