PDA

View Full Version : How does a new Monk make money.

Koventhia
07-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Any tips? I've read the ultimate making money while leveling guide on the wiki and it seemed like alot of those camps would be ridiculous for a Monk to even try without having to leave literally every 5 mins to sell and bank without taking a massive hit to AC from weight.

I was a Necromancer on live all those years ago and had no problems making money, but I've always wanted to play a Monk and I'm really questioning how I will be able to solo well enough to be able to get plat to buy gear........when I have no gear.

And of course, the AC penalty which screws your soloing ability even more, which hitting 14 stone while trying to hoard loot will be like what, 10 mins at any decent camp? :( Not to mention I've been reading alot of topics on this thread saying that Monk gear is expensive on this server.

So any tips? Am I just supposed to slum it up in cloth armor for 50 levels and hope for drops while I xp or what? Thanks. :)

Troy
07-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Roll a mage and farm willowisps starting at level 8, save up a pile of greater lightstones and xfer them to your monk. Turn them in on your monk in NK to gain a decent chunk of XP, then vendor the books you get from the turn-in for 9pp or so each.

Cribanox
07-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Any tips? I've read the ultimate making money while leveling guide on the wiki and it seemed like alot of those camps would be ridiculous for a Monk to even try without having to leave literally every 5 mins to sell and bank without taking a massive hit to AC from weight.

I was a Necromancer on live all those years ago and had no problems making money, but I've always wanted to play a Monk and I'm really questioning how I will be able to solo well enough to be able to get plat to buy gear........when I have no gear.

And of course, the AC penalty which screws your soloing ability even more, which hitting 14 stone while trying to hoard loot will be like what, 10 mins at any decent camp? :( Not to mention I've been reading alot of topics on this thread saying that Monk gear is expensive on this server.

So any tips? Am I just supposed to slum it up in cloth armor for 50 levels and hope for drops while I xp or what? Thanks. :)

You can still camp giants and seafuries as a monk, just delete all the silver and copper. Sell all the gems and whatever amount of fine steel weapons you are willing to carry. When youre level 50-60, the AC hit doesnt mean you have to stop and go sell, because HGs and stuff are at that point mostly green to you.

Tycko
07-10-2011, 01:31 PM
If you want to enjoy playing your monk
A) Make a pet class to farm plat for your monk ( IE: Necro/Mage)

If you want to feel like a true monk and not a twink
B) Wear the cheap shit that is all over server due to mass monk twinks that were made in kunark until you get lucky enough to win the good stuff.
IE: Wu's Fighting Armor ~600pp a set
Wu Trance Sticks ~ 750pp each

You can easily save that plat from level 1 - 40. And you might get some of it free if people see you rocking cured silk or cloth. Cured Silk ~60pp for a set.

Zarniwooop
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
As a monk the only way to really make money outside of the very rare occasion where you'll win a valuable item in a group, is to sell power leveling services. I personally, haven't taken this route, but I understand its quite effective if you have the patience for it.

But, as all the above said, you'll never compete with the classes that can solo everything that kills you without effort.

Vohl
07-11-2011, 10:55 AM
For starters, collect and sell stacks of bone chips, spiderling silks, and spider silks. Skeletons also drop heavy items that you can sell for cash immediately in the newbie areas. Flat out ignore the weight AC bonus for the first several levels. Wear any cloth armor pieces that drop.

Once you've scraped together enough, buy Wu's gauntlets for roughly 35pp. If you find mesh or other usable magic gloves on a merchant, buy those. The entire idea is to have magic-affecting fists when you enter your low teens. You can now camp Willowisps. Collect greater lightstones to quest into decent XP and platinum. Sell the regular lightstones for just under 1pp each. You'll have hundreds of platinum after a few days. Kit yourself out in Wu's armor, or better yet, get one or two cheap monk weapons.

Your next camp for coin will be gargoyles. Gargoyle eyes sell for roughly 10pp each, are stackable, and drop up to two at a time. Mistmoore has some near the entry - if you're in your low 20s, you can get some in a group. Otherwise, I think there are some in OOT that are lower level.

Get a decent weight-reducing bag, get into good groups and roll for items that can be sold in EC. This last trick will last through level 60.

Xaleban
07-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Get to your 20s go to mistmoore and farm the gargoyles. You can accumulate a lot of pp quick this way

Dr4z3r
07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
If you're not tanking for a group, you can make decent money just like everyone else.

There usually isn't much competition for pages, words, and runes from mobs in places like Oasis, and those are cheap.

You are using Large Sewing Kits for bags, right?

Vohl
07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
As an aside, with tailoring skill around 40, you can crank out handmade large bags that weigh 0.8 and have 10% WR. These take a LQ bear skin and 6 spiderling silks each. The silks combine into thread (2 per thread), then three thread combine into a cord. Killing bears for their skins will rarely drop a High Quality Bear Skin, which can sell in EC for 20pp. These are heavy, but hey, 20pp for a dead bear isn't a bad haul. Since the PC buying the skins is a tailor of decent skill, you may be able to get a few bags made by asking nicely when selling 1-2 HQ skins. You'd need to provide the LQ skin and silks, though.

gprater
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Roll a mage and farm ******STOP******willowisps starting at level 8, save up a pile of greater lightstones and xfer them to your monk. Turn them in on your monk in NK to gain a decent chunk of XP, then vendor the books you get from the turn-in for 9pp or so each.