PDA

View Full Version : I cant find what class I like...

Arcadia's_Eve
07-13-2011, 12:44 AM
So i've played just about every class to around 7 or 8 (I know, not high at all), but I cant find one that I really really like...Right now im messing with my Paladin. Lvl 7 right now, not sure how he will be later though.

On EQLive, I played a Rogue and Necro. I loved being able to solo on a Necro pretty much as high as I wanted. I enjoyed it. The Rogue, was very fun, but couldnt solo for jack, and only made it to lvl 40. I heard Rogue BS was nerfed, so bad it does nearly half the dmg it use to.

Im the kind of person that doesnt like playing the majority, I love being the minority. I played a Monk to lvl 11, he was pretty fun and beastly, no wonders there a million and a half monks. Also played a Shaman, again, beastly, but a million and half plus one of em.

Heres my top list of Fun Factor:

1. Rogue - I love my EQlive Rogue, cant solo for shit, but was a fun time
2. Paladin - Mainly because theres so few right now. Am interested in seeing how well they solo once Ghoulbane procs
3. Necro - I love being able to solo, as I dont always have 4+ hours to group. But I dont like that nearly everyone has a necro...

Help me P99 forums, you're my only hope...

I do plan on twinking which ever I choose...

Harrison
07-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Rogue if you plan on being desirable in groups, raiding guilds, etc.

Necro if you want to solo. Less desirable in groups and guilds, but will still get them. Your role in raiding guilds? Twitching. Boring as fuck.

Paladin if you want to do whatever the fuck you want lol Solo, group tank, offtank raiding, you get the idea.

Arcadia's_Eve
07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Soo sounds like Paladin is still for me : )

I'll stick it out to 30 and see how he goes...

Harrison
07-13-2011, 01:02 AM
I twinked my Paladin and never looked back. I am still playing him.

ojamajoe
07-13-2011, 01:23 AM
You might try the shadowknight, too. I think it's a pretty fun and flexible class; although I only really play a cleric now due to limited play time.

Messianic
07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
You're really not going to solo that well as a paladin past 40+ or so. Expect to be forced into grouping beyond that point. I could be wrong - but i'm basing the statement on what I've seen other high-end paladins say, not my own experience.

You'll solo pretty well 20-35 or so - since there are some GREAT undead soloing spots during that level range, and GB's are pretty cheap (I sold one for 400 the other day cause I was sick of auctioning it) - but if you have more cash (as has been mentioned in other threads), you can buy either a great twohander or a sword of the morning for 3-5k and be even better and not proc-reliant.

But Paladins are great tanks and I enjoy grouping with them, regardless of the xp penalty. You should just figure out what you want out of EQ, and find the class most likely to meet those desires.

If you don't know what you want out of EQ, you'll never find a class you're happy with.

falkun
07-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Post-20 Wurmslayer is one of the best weapons you can get. It has AC on a 1H, which will still allow you to equip a shield for more AC. It also has a better ratio than almost any 1H outside of VP or PoSky quests (0.62 for wurmy over 0.59 for SotM). It's also pretty cheap and fairly easy to quest. I've done the quest 2x now, the only thing that keeps me from farming more is Gullerback (grrr). Whenever I do get a third, I think I'll finally roll my alt knight (leaning toward Tunare Pally (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4646)).

Nytewind TP
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I played P99 at launch then life pulled me in other directions. Finally jumped back on P99 a week or two back and I've been creating/deleting characters since. I want to play, get back into the game, play the zones I love and miss. Just can't get the feel for what class/race to play.

Brut
07-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Go SK rather. Only good side of a pally is that you get a fiery defender by sneezing towards the general direction of posky.

Messianic
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Go SK rather. Only good side of a pally is that you get a fiery defender by sneezing towards the general direction of posky.

If you think good undead DD is a positive of being a pally, remember that SK's and Pallies both top out at the same undead DD. Pallies just get it a level or two earlier.

I always felt that was a little stupid, but whatya gonna do :P

Some of the reasons so many people choose SK's over pallies (look at population differences) is they get the 44 necro pet in their late 50s/60, dots, and have a lot of the anti-undead stuff pallies have (anti-undead fear, which is extremely cheap, fast-casting, and super-effective for SKs combined with snare). Basically, Paladins don't have enough (imo) that makes them unique in terms of fighting undead.

Felwithemagi
07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Looks like you want the option to always solo so I would stick with the necro.

maverixdamighty
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Paladin can still easily solo 40+. It's not great exp, but while you are lfg it keeps it moving forward. This is especially true if you have a dw helmet for free healing after fights.

azeth
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Rolling a Paladin isn't something that can be suggested to you.

It's a lifestyle.

falkun
07-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Rolling a Paladin isn't something that can be suggested to you.

It's a lifestyle.

This. A paladin is not an easy road, especially prior to Velious. But IMO its an incredibly fun road to walk. I'll have a paladin on this server one of these days.

Sponge
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Play a wizard. There's barely any and you can solo.

Darian
07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Some of the reasons so many people choose SK's over pallies (look at population differences) is they get the 44 necro pet in their late 50s/60, dots, and have a lot of the anti-undead stuff pallies have (anti-undead fear, which is extremely cheap, fast-casting, and super-effective for SKs combined with snare).

That and feign death (no more dying past lvl 30)

Messianic
07-14-2011, 04:34 PM

I was mainly focusing on the anti-undead stuff pallies have - but if we go into the sheer utility at an SK's hands - Invis, invis undead, see invis, FD, undead lull (without a reagent in their 50s), mini-dmf later on, snare....

But you'll die plenty, even with FD. Not as much as other classes, but you will die every now and then if you do anything other than solo blue mobs, regardless of FD.

baalzy
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Much less dying. Still gotta channel the cast and it can fail.