PDA

View Full Version : Could mobs see through hide/sneak in classic?

Mojorisin
07-16-2011, 01:09 AM
On live I had a lvl 55 rogue and have no memories of mobs ever seeing through my hide/sneak. I remember sneaking down to Lower Guk to get my DE mask which I am currently unable to do without being attacked. I tried to perform a CR in Dalnir only to have the goo's see through hide/sneak as well. Is this a p99 issue or is my memory fuzzy?

Piff
07-16-2011, 01:33 AM
make sure your hide works before you use it. i snuck down to the assassin a few days ago no problem. i sneak around guk all the time.

Nubben
07-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Any mob that can see invis can see through hide. As far as I know, nothing can see through sneak so it can still be possible to get past mobs as long as you dont enter their field of vision.

Editing to add that hide/sneak works on most undead too, but some may still see you. I haven't leveled up my rogue on P99 yet but I played a rogue main throughout my EQ career and I'm assuming they were able to accurately recapture this.

Savok
07-16-2011, 01:36 AM
My level 3 rog snuck down to Assassin with no issues.

Duma
07-16-2011, 01:39 AM
At one time hide/sneak was "invis" to everything even see invis. Because it wasn't invisible it was "hiding and sneaking". Blizzard either changed it or added mobs with an exception.

Kika Maslyaka
07-16-2011, 03:20 AM
At one time hide/sneak was "invis" to everything even see invis. Because it wasn't invisible it was "hiding and sneaking". Blizzard either changed it or added mobs with an exception.

???????? :D:D:D

Nocte
07-16-2011, 03:46 AM
My level 3 rog snuck down to Assassin with no issues.

Same here.

Ektar
07-16-2011, 07:16 AM
as was said in the first response, but to clarify:

hide/sneak is buggy. when you use it, have a mob targeted. con it - if you're scowls, it didn't work; if it's indifferent, it worked that time and go for it. (obv that'll be for scowl mobs only, use any npc that is not indifferent)

Arkyani
07-16-2011, 07:48 AM
hide/sneak is buggy. you can run past a mob five times and on the sixth time he may aggro. it makes no sense. it happens to me sometimes when dragging corpses in sebilis. ill drag up three corpses, be dragging a fourth, and a mob ive ran past plenty of times aggros me out of nowhere. There is a post in the bug forum about this, since many other people have noticed this problem as well. hopefully it gets fixed. i always have to worry about hide/sneak bugging out.

Volsic
07-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes, mobs certainly could see through hide/sneak in classic.

quellren
07-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I've never had issue with mobs seeing through a successful hide+sneak.
I've snuck into/around many places I shouldn't be and, including most named spawns in upper/lower Guk (to the assassin spawn for my DE mask at lvl 15.)

I think alot of times when people say 'OMGWTFBBQ, my sneak just failed, this isn't effing fair!!11!" it's because they inadvertently clicked on a corpse and 'tried' to loot it. With some deliberate testing I found that no matter how far away, NPC or PC, anytime you click on a lootable body, hide drops. If you get the 'That corpse is too far away to loot', or 'You do not have permission to loot that corpse' message you can bet that it broke your stealth.

Krait
07-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Blizzard either changed it or added mobs with an exception.

LOL... A Blizzard did it.

Juugox2
07-16-2011, 11:11 AM
hell yea they could why wouldnt they lol

Juugox2
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
you could just not have the skill points or it just didnt work sometimes hide doesnt actually hide you you gotta make sure your actually hidden shamans see invis thats about only thing that see invis in guk or if shamans cast see invis there isnt many mobs that see invis expect otw to king the element maybe couple random frogs and shamans sometimes

Tarathiel
07-16-2011, 01:20 PM
certain mobs can see thru hide/sneak no matter what... that being said its still kinda buggy and definitely con everything, even if its your 5th or 6th time passing a certain mob

Pyrocat
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Sneak will work againt every mob, even gods. Hide will work against almost all mobs, even most see invis, but some mobs like bats and some things in plane of hate will see through hide.

Tiggles
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Sneak will work againt every mob, even gods. Hide will work against almost all mobs, even most see invis, but some mobs like bats and some things in plane of hate will see through hide.

Mirakk82
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
ROFL. Damn Blizzard. They ruin everything

Duma
07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
???????? :D:D:D

Yeah for whatever reason I had the wrong company on my mind when I typed that.

Kika Maslyaka
07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
so now we TRULY know who is responsible for ruining EQ!!!! :D
It was their evil plan all along! :D

Pyrocat
07-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Added to F.A.Q.

runlvlzero
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, the trick is to con everything before approaching it and remember sneak only works from behind. Although if your clever the back of a mob is almost a 180 degree cone so you can sometimes walk up to them sideways at a 90 degree angle with just sneak on and make it past.

During luclin using just sneak on a level 1 vah'shir I did make it through paludal caverns to shadowhaven once =) that was pretty fun.

Treats
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Bump on this I guess. From the Sony board:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=65689

I noticed something strange this weekened. I have leveled a couple characters through Dreadlands, so I know that all Drolvargs can see invis. However, when my Rogue graduated to there, I found that they do not see Hide. Certain Drolvargs inside KC, namely the ones up in the "lookout" positions, can see me, but the others can't. I am not standing behind them.

What is up with this? My theory is that in addition to certain mobs being marked "See Invis", certain mob *types* can see invis, as well. Such as Undead, Drolvarg, and certain Gnolls. Sneak/Hide does not hide you from mobs flagged "See Invis" (Shroud of Stealth does, in general)... but it *does* hide you from mobs that see invis due to their "type".

Is that how it works? Or am I just remembering things incorrectly?

I assume he is referring to the Drolvarg Guardians in the lookout positions?

Others can't (Sentry's)

If it is flagged due to NPC type it will see through See Invis but not Hide? (See Invisible)

If it is marked as See Invis will see through both invisible and hide/sneak? (See Hide)

Examples:

Sol B Bats -- Use Sonar for detection
Mob type Sees invisible and also flagged to See Invisible (Sees Sneak/Hide)

Drolvarg Sentry -- Mob type will See Invisible but Unflagged to See Invisible (Doesn't See Hide/Sneak)
Drolvarg Guardian -- Mob type will See Invisible and also flagged to See Invisible (Sees Hide/Sneak)

Random See Invisible Sebilite Juggernaut -- Mob type does not See Invisible
Flagged in Database to See Invis so will see Invisible and Hide/Sneak??

How certain Mobs were set to See Invisible (But Not See Invisible by body type)?
Possibly just a random low percentage chance? No idea.

Hope this kinda makes sense. Thoughts?

Bohab
07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I think a few of the posts in this thread may be related to some kind of bug?

If you are in hide/sneak and you're dragging a corpse, if you right click that corpse (or any corpse for that matter) accidentally all mobs in the zone facing you at that time will be able to see you. If the mob had it's back turned to you, they will not be able to see you. You have to reset your hide/sneak in order to be invisible to them all again. This also happens if you open a trade with another player while in hide/sneak.

This was confusing to me because I stay invisible on my screen and the hide & sneak buttons are still depressed.

maahes
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
hide/sneak was slightly better than invis. It worked on undead and some mobs that saw invis did NOT see through sneak/hide.

Eventually SoS came out in Luclin and hide/sneak went to 99.9% of the mobs in the entire game.

Nubben
07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Just to nitpick, SoS came out in PoP and was level 63 required, but yeah very few things could see through it including most raid mobs.

maahes
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Just to nitpick, SoS came out in PoP and was level 63 required, but yeah very few things could see through it including most raid mobs.

Your right. I am thinking about the ranged item that looked like a cloak that was called SoS, from VT I believe. The AA came out PoP.

Danyelle
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Your right. I am thinking about the ranged item that looked like a cloak that was called SoS, from VT I believe. The AA came out PoP.

Fungus Grove

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=7748

azeth
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
^ ooo that's some heavy nostalgia for me.