PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated items

greatdane
07-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Thought I'd start a casual discussion on the most overrated items in the game. Feel free to take anything into consideration, from rarity to market value and whatever you care about.

Personally, I'd say Djarn's Amethyst Ring. It's not even that good, and most of its value seems to stem from the fact that most people don't know how little agility is really worth. I'd wear a 5/55 ring on any melee class as well as those of the caster classes that should care about AC. Djarn's is slightly better on a few classes, equal or worse on most, and it apparently sells for like 12k while good old 5/55s are 225p or whatever. Insane, especially for an item that drops off a mob that has been pretty much perma-camped for the entire history of the server.

Dravingar
07-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Thought I'd start a casual discussion on the most overrated items in the game. Feel free to take anything into consideration, from rarity to market value and whatever you care about.

Personally, I'd say Djarn's Amethyst Ring. It's not even that good, and most of its value seems to stem from the fact that most people don't know how little agility is really worth. I'd wear a 5/55 ring on any melee class as well as those of the caster classes that should care about AC. Djarn's is slightly better on a few classes, equal or worse on most, and it apparently sells for like 12k while good old 5/55s are 225p or whatever. Insane, especially for an item that drops off a mob that has been pretty much perma-camped for the entire history of the server.

Djarns is best in slot for melee, AC is wack on this server. My vote goes towards MCT since its worthless with the minimum delay shit.

Brut
07-18-2011, 04:52 AM
Oops not overpriced, overrated. Hmm..
I'll say AoN; I never understood the big whoop about that one. It's an instantcast buff, ye cool, but other than that, you're gonna tire out with the whole skeleton-thing in about 24h, so then it's just a crummy neck item no one in their right mind equips due to the -hp.

Bubbles
07-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Hand of the Reaper -- sick mage item, NEC only.

Iksar mask.

Nyrod
07-18-2011, 05:55 AM
AoN is more than just an illusion in many ways and i doubt anyone really tires of it? i never did /shrug

disco
07-18-2011, 06:23 AM
AoN woopie doo.. necros get that and only costs few plat.

Arkanjil
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
I think the price on something like CoF and RBB is out of whack.

Dantes
07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Idol of the Thorned. Some folks asking 16k. It's not like it ever stops dropping. And besides, for most regular experience groups you are better off with a runed bone fork for the SV magic.

azeth
07-18-2011, 09:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/24Mfy.png

vs.

http://i.imgur.com/syvz1.png

You need to be in a very, very specific circumstance to want pay 500k for 36% haste considering:

A.) There's a haste cap
B.) Sky haste is easily attainable for any guild with a bunch of 60s
c.) Monk/Rang/Rog have epic haste.

I agree, CoF is by far the most over-valued item, considering it no longer even carries the "wow" factor.

Messianic
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
You need to be in a very, very specific circumstance to want pay 500k for 36% haste considering:

A.) There's a haste cap

I agree, CoF is by far the most over-valued item, considering it no longer even carries the "wow" factor.

Cloak of flames could only possibly be worth 500k+ to me if it actually set your character on fire.

Atmas
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
On this server I would say AoN.

I had one back on TZ and it had several benefits there:
1. Skeletal Illusion made it tougher to spot my wizard in mass pvp.
2. Skeletal Illusion, I believe actually decreased my high elf hit box size.
3. Instant cast buff, which I guess is still a benefit on this server.
4. Clicking it would instantly bring you to a complete stop you if you were on a horse. I had the horse from Emp in Ssra, it was badass to be able to come out of high warp on that mother and instantly start a nuke. Was pretty sweet in that regard for pvp and quadding/kiting.

3 could be a benefit on this server with dispelling mobs and 4 may be if they make the decision to go to Luclin.

Currently not worth the ludicrious price it goes for here. Though, skele illusion is cool.

Mcbard
07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
It's hard for me to understand the premise of this thread when so far 2 of the items lister are BiS and another is simply an uber vanity item. Maybe if we were going for "overpriced", but it's hard to overvalue BiS and rare vanity items imo! Some people are into that sort of stuff. If you have any of that stuff and you don't value it shoot me a tell with a price please! :D

Seaweedpimp
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
On live i thought the Sash of the Dragonborn was pretty overpriced. I think Fbss's were around 5k while the SotDB was around 17k

Versus
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
MCT

Ele
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Just the item in and of itself: Moss Covered Twig/Efreeti Standard/Barbed Scale Whip

Price:Benefit Ratio wise: Prenerf Fungi Staff, AoN, CoF/RBB

arsenalpow
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
IFS

Hot garbage, can't outdamage a peacebringer

Harrison
07-18-2011, 11:03 AM
IFS

Hot garbage, can't outdamage a peacebringer

lol...

and my vote is for Necklace of Superiority

Seaweedpimp
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
lol...

Thats a pretty good one too.

azeth
07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Price:Benefit Ratio wise: Prenerf Fungi Staff

Personally, I think the Pre-nerf fungi staff is priceless. You'll never be able to replace it on this server, or even come close to it.

Kika Maslyaka
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/24Mfy.png

vs.

http://i.imgur.com/syvz1.png

A.) There's a haste cap

History have shown that HC will only be going for 500-1k plat 5 year later, while CoF will be selling for 80k-150k - prices as of 2004

CoF - and haste in general was overpowered - even original devs have admitted years later, that they should never have introduced such higher haste items so early into a game. They claimed that if they could go back, the CoF would have like 8% haste, and FBSS 4% etc.

Crover_CT99
07-18-2011, 11:35 AM
lol...

This was my vote. I always chuckle at the 40k asking price.

Atmas
07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
It's hard for me to understand the premise of this thread when so far 2 of the items lister are BiS and another is simply an uber vanity item. Maybe if we were going for "overpriced", but it's hard to overvalue BiS and rare vanity items imo! Some people are into that sort of stuff. If you have any of that stuff and you don't value it shoot me a tell with a price please! :D

Price is probably the most assessable assertation of an items percieved value. You could potentially look at the amount of time it takes to camp a no trade item or complete a quest but thats varies by instance and is hard to get statistics for.

I agree BiS slots kind of throw things out of whack because it's hard to say what something at the vey end of the spectrum is worth. But sometimes you can ask is the value the BiS gives over the 2nd BiS slot worth the cost of 5 other BiS items?

Mcbard
07-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Personally, I think the Pre-nerf fungi staff is priceless. You'll never be able to replace it on this server, or even come close to it.

And for the most part priceless it has been! You couldn't even purchase one if you wanted to, as most owners are not interested in taking 1mil plat+ offers!

Slave
07-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I'll say GEBS. Int/Wis is rather a small factor in experiencing and most raids.

Bubbles
07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
One of the older school ones i never understood was the Runed Lava Pendant. Granted AC was often broken and STR gear in classic wasn't easily obtainable and/or in abundance, but ugh.

Muerte
07-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Cloak of flames could only possibly be worth 500k+ to me if it actually set your character on fire.

That made me laugh:)

visage
07-19-2011, 09:34 AM
In my personal opion a few things come to mind.

First JBB, a bracer that I can click and cast a 8 second nuke... Funny thing is for eight seconds I could be doing something else. Now I'm not saying there isn't use for this item ,however the emotional state people seem to follow is just borderline ridiculous. People advising others to make a shaman that isn't iksar just because of a item clicky , that poses no game breaking advantages. Sure theres reports of shamans soloing dragons with a JBB, but you don't think theres other items that could help accomplish this feat?

Second would be the mana pool debate. Now clearly there are some advantages of larger mana pools verse lower. I can think of way to many times where a large mana pool wasn't a key factor in a sucessful group. Now if you were to relate this with twinking a lower character , obviously the character will be able to do more in the group. Either way tho theres downtime in the game regardless. So that one pinnacle of where that character with the larger mana pool has to have a time to regain it. Like everyone else in game the regen of mana is the same rate , unless influeced by a buff or item. Sure the cleric might be able to get a few more heals in with that little bit extra mana , but regardless other stats are being ignored.

Now clearly there has been adequate testing on this game for years. So some stuff is proven to work better than others. Personally what defines a unique character for me , is the ones that are able to accomplish a lot with out having to fall into the trends of others , so much that it defines their class or play ability. For instance I got the privelege of group with a ranger the other day. This ranger maxed all his wisdom via starting stats. He was in his mid thirties with a ton of wisdom gear. More than the average ranger. When confronted about as to why? He responded " I like having a bigger mana pool so I can CC, and employ my class differently then others make it". Well maybe it's just me , but that hit home for me. To top it off this ranger was damn well played. We were pulling mobs from Lguk and this dude had well over three rotted at one point in time. Not to mention snared. Sure it may not sound like much , but we all know how crappy root could be on this game. Yes the ranger neglected his role of "DPS" for the time being , however he was able to deliver us really adequate CC. Now whether or not his gear served a purpose or really was " Game changing , to these skills" I found it awesome that despite of the social conditioning , he played how he wanted to play.

So in essence, there is more to this game than following the social trends of items play styles etc. Though I may have dropped off topic, in regards to over valued items etc. I believe it all trickles into the social conditioning people are placed into this game. I for one love seeing stupid crap, cause sometimes it works. Though a monk with max intelligence ( I wont name who) was rather funny....

And for the record (edited in) I hate the item " Fungi Tunic", regen is so overated in this game its laughable , may help with downtime hp , but damn for the amount of money for this item. You can hire some druids to run across wherever and regen you for the right amount of cash. Be smart. Work with others and make friends. ( PS give the fungi tunic to me, I'll be your friend ) =P

Messianic
07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
That made me laugh:)

:D I was hoping for a pity chuckle or two...

Biology is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy.[1] Biology is a vast subject containing many subdivisions, topics, and disciplines. Among the most important topics are five unifying principles that can be said to be the fundamental axioms of modern biology:

Cells are the basic unit of life
New species and inherited traits are the product of evolution
Genes are the basic unit of heredity
An organism regulates its internal environment to maintain a stable and constant condition
Living organisms consume and transform energy.

Subdisciplines of biology are recognized on the basis of the scale at which organisms are studied and the methods used to study them: biochemistry examines the rudimentary chemistry of life; molecular biology studies the complex interactions of systems of biological molecules; cellular biology examines the basic building block of all life, the cell; physiology examines the physical and chemical functions of the tissues, organs, and organ systems of an organism; and ecology examines how various organisms interact and associate with their environment.

Extunarian
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
First JBB, a bracer that I can click and cast a 8 second nuke... Funny thing is for eight seconds I could be doing something else.

JBB is not overrated, especially since it goes for 12-15k on this server. If I had a warrior and a shaman that I played equally, and had 14k to buy either a JBB or a FBSS, I would pick the JBB every time.

I don't think you understand how much mana it takes for shaman to do dps by themselves, especially since our pets no longer hit for 4x53 every round.

Versus
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Just the item in and of itself: Moss Covered Twig/Efreeti Standard/Barbed Scale Whip

Price:Benefit Ratio wise: Prenerf Fungi Staff, AoN, CoF/RBB

I guess price wise, *maybe* fungi staff is one you could say, but...

Having a clickable 15pt regen+20pt regen from Shadow Compact=35 regen per tick on your pet, while having Fungi regen on yourself+sitting while liching = lose no hp while gaining a shit ton of mana. Priceless.

Doktoor
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Djarn Ring can be priceless to a melee wearing a fungi with low starting AGI.

If people who say regen is over rated would play on a pvp server just a tad with and without a fungi, they'd change their mind.

Malev
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Amen to that, for the last several years of life of VZ, not a single melee was created without a fungi tunic. If you didn't have one on your account when creating a melee you would get an error:

"You are attempting to create a melee class (class) and we have been unable to find a fungi tunic on your account:"

(proceeded by the following buttons)

"Will be borrowing from a friend"
"Will purchase one"
"Could only afford Ikky BP"
"Oops, please cancel character creation"

Grahm
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Amen to that, for the last several years of life of VZ, not a single melee was created without a fungi tunic. If you didn't have one on your account when creating a melee you would get an error:

"You are attempting to create a melee class (class) and we have been unable to find a fungi tunic on your account:"

(proceeded by the following buttons)

"Will be borrowing from a friend"
"Will purchase one"
"Could only afford Ikky BP"
"Oops, please cancel character creation"

Good try

ryandward
07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
lol...

How is putting all your stats a tiny bit higher superior? Its more like mediocrity.

baub
07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
In my personal opion a few things come to mind.

First JBB

Stopped here but i am sure the rest of your points were equally as stupid.

azeth
07-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Stopped here but i am sure the rest of your points were equally as stupid.

let me help you out

And for the record (edited in) I hate the item " Fungi Tunic", regen is so overated in this game its laughable , may help with downtime hp , but damn for the amount of money for this item

Arillious
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
On this server I would say AoN.

I had one back on TZ and it had several benefits there:
1. Skeletal Illusion made it tougher to spot my wizard in mass pvp.
2. Skeletal Illusion, I believe actually decreased my high elf hit box size.
3. Instant cast buff, which I guess is still a benefit on this server.
4. Clicking it would instantly bring you to a complete stop you if you were on a horse. I had the horse from Emp in Ssra, it was badass to be able to come out of high warp on that mother and instantly start a nuke. Was pretty sweet in that regard for pvp and quadding/kiting.

3 could be a benefit on this server with dispelling mobs and 4 may be if they make the decision to go to Luclin.

Currently not worth the ludicrious price it goes for here. Though, skele illusion is cool.

AoN was one of the most sought after pvp items. The ability to make yourself hard to target and have players not be able easily distinguish your class was a huge advantage. It also took up a spell slot and could be used to block dispells.

Haul
07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Mosscovered Twig. Same with Efreeti Standard. Rumor has it TMO got a Efreeti Standard like last week and tried to claim it as a server first. Sorry faggots, but Emil of IB got the first one summer 2010 when we dominated sky.

Anger
07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Mosscovered Twig. Same with Efreeti Standard. Rumor has it TMO got a Efreeti Standard like last week and tried to claim it as a server first. Sorry faggots, but Emil of IB got the first one summer 2010 when we dominated sky.

I find it hard to believe TMO tried claiming that server first, considering Aadill got one in October or so, and he's in that guild. Unless there was some kind of miscommunication...

Aadill
07-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Who the hell is keeping track of a quest item? No one ever claimed server first on it as far as I know. I even searched on the boards and I see NOTHING related to the Efreeti Standard other than a wet dream of people who didn't see the parses, so no there wasn't a miscommunication there just wasn't any communication :confused:

(I wasn't there for that raid if that was indeed brought into question but I don't see anything on the forums and that's what matters.)

Also: lol @ mosscovered twig hope it was worth it.

Loud
07-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Wow

Arkanjil
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM

You gotta pay the troll toll......

Pyrocat
07-21-2011, 01:15 AM
And for the record (edited in) I hate the item " Fungi Tunic", regen is so overated in this game its laughable , may help with downtime hp , but damn for the amount of money for this item. You can hire some druids to run across wherever and regen you for the right amount of cash. Be smart. Work with others and make friends. ( PS give the fungi tunic to me, I'll be your friend ) =P

It's hands down the single best item this server will ever see for a shaman. I still don't think it should be selling for 150k though.

Harrison
07-21-2011, 02:48 AM

He says "we" like he has any part in anything other than failing off a failserver.

Atmas
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
It's hands down the single best item this server will ever see for a shaman. I still don't think it should be selling for 150k though.

Yeah Fungi Tunic price also seems kind of nuts to me atm but sitting in EC it seems like the price is being pushed higher more by the buyers than the sellers. I guess some people just have a ton of money with nothing to spend it on.

Fungi is an awesome piece of gear though, in a very practical way, so it's hard for me to say it's actually over priced or over rated.

Messianic
07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Fungi is an awesome piece of gear though, in a very practical way, so it's hard for me to say it's actually over priced or over rated.

So many people (usually those who have never had one) have no idea how good Fungi is - even for monks.

greatdane
07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Especially for monks. Fungi allows them to solo effectively into the higher levels. It doesn't let other melee classes do that really. It'll help, especially until 40 or so, but you're not soloing a warrior into the 50s with a fungi unless you're inhumanly dedicated. Fungi benefits two classes the most: shaman and monk. For them, it's a valuable tool. For other classes, it's mostly a twink/self-PL gadget that they're better off swapping for a proper BP once they reach planar levels. The price is a bit on the high side here, but then so is pretty much everything.

Messianic
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Especially for monks. Fungi allows them to solo effectively into the higher levels. It doesn't let other melee classes do that really. It'll help, especially until 40 or so, but you're not soloing a warrior into the 50s with a fungi unless you're inhumanly dedicated. Fungi benefits two classes the most: shaman and monk. For them, it's a valuable tool. For other classes, it's mostly a twink/self-PL gadget that they're better off swapping for a proper BP once they reach planar levels. The price is a bit on the high side here, but then so is pretty much everything.

Definitely - I only say "even monks" because I recognize how game-breaking the item is for Shaman in all circumstances :)

I'll attest to what you said - my 60 epic monk on live had incredible difficulty soloing when I wasn't using my fungi - with it, soloing was a breeze.

Extunarian
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Is a fungi as important once you have torpor? I've heard conflicting opinions.

Badmartigan
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll say GEBS. Int/Wis is rather a small factor in experiencing and most raids.

Please lets stop mentioning BiS items for some classes already? It's for the slots it frees up while keeping your int up..... items like this make way for BS jewlery and the such...

Messianic
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Please lets stop mentioning BiS items for some classes already? It's for the slots it frees up while keeping your int up..... items like this make way for BS jewlery and the such...

An item can be BiS and still be way overrated.

I don't think anyone argues GEBs are bad items - but GEBs should be way down on the list of items you should get your caster in an effort to gear them as effectively as possible.

That said, I don't think there are that many people who think GEBs are "so amazing"...It's just that most other caster feet items are barely a step up from cloth.

Doors
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Not sure what idiot said regen items were overrated, but I took a monk into its 40's solo with a pre nerfed fungi robe. Other monks I talked to solo'd all the way to 50 and did it casually in less than a month. So no, regen is not overrated outside of haste it's like the best melee stat.

Ele
07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Just saw this ROFL. :rolleyes:

Bubbles
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah Fungi Tunic price also seems kind of nuts to me atm but sitting in EC it seems like the price is being pushed higher more by the buyers than the sellers. I guess some people just have a ton of money with nothing to spend it on.

Definitely this, but also the real reason the fungi is in high demand is..

Pretty much everyone made a melee alt for kunark. And the Tunics didn't exactly start flowing into the economy en masse (for reasons discussed in other threads). And in order for a tunic to be sold, it has to be dropped on the server, won on a roll, *and* the person winning the roll has to have no immediate need for it himself or his alts.

And if you are finally to the point where a fungi tunic isn't something you immediately need, you're likely someone who has everything anyways, and the plat price that makes you even blink is 150k+.

greatdane
07-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Is a fungi as important once you have torpor? I've heard conflicting opinions.

No, not really. You stop relying on regen once you have torpor. It might still be useful to have, but I'd wear a nice statpiece instead. If you could upgrade other things with cash by then, I'd sell the fungi and buy gear/spells. If I had a fungi on a shaman and hit level 60, I'd immediately sell it and start looking for torpor/malo. Those spells are infinitely more important than +15 regen with poor stats.

baub
07-22-2011, 04:19 AM
No, not really. You stop relying on regen once you have torpor. It might still be useful to have, but I'd wear a nice statpiece instead. If you could upgrade other things with cash by then, I'd sell the fungi and buy gear/spells. If I had a fungi on a shaman and hit level 60, I'd immediately sell it and start looking for torpor/malo. Those spells are infinitely more important than +15 regen with poor stats.

Well the brightside is you wouldn't have to sell your fungi to find torpor/malo ;P

Just because you can keep torpor on yourself all the time doesn't mean it is always the correct decision. +15 regen is nothing to scoff at, for me it would take an absolute beast of an item such as CoV (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5521) to permanently put the fungi on the bench.

greatdane
07-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Well, once you have Torpor, you no longer need to slowly regenerate the HP you spend on canni. That's why you won't have much use for fungi when you have Torpor. It changes the playstyle a lot, and it turns the shaman's mana management tool into more like an on-demand Harvest instead of functioning kinda like Lich. You can simply canni down to 50% health, Torpor yourself and it'll take you back to full. You don't need to pay the same kind of attention to your HP/mana balance anymore and you have literally infinite mana as long as you have time to canni five times and Torpor afterwards. That's why you're better off with Trak BP or even planar - the regen style simply stops being relevant once you can recover with Torpor for 200 mana instead. Fungi has terrible stats, after all.

This is also why the higher-level canni spells have a less efficient HP-to-mana ratio and are only really worth using in conjunction with Torpor. Once you can use Torpor instead of regen to balance it out, it becomes better to do fewer canni casts that take/give more HP/mana so you can spend more time on the other things you need to do. As long as you have to slowly regen the HP back at a 30/tick rate or whatever it is, you have to use the smaller cannis and it takes up a lot more of your time.