PDA

View Full Version : Potential New player questions

PeedyJay
07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Have a few questions I'd like to ask before starting here if anyone wouldn't mind answering. Skimmed through the forums already and while I found some answers I'm wanting to seek updated information.

I'm curious as to the current leveling situation. I'm assuming there is a slew of people maxed out with it being hit and miss as to finding people to group with while leveling up depending on the day, is this the situation? If not what is it like leveling through grouping mostly, painfully hard or pretty easy to find people. (Note: I tend to build groups, not just sit LFG)

Current class demands, I want to try something I never leveled up in EQ back in the day, or in other emu servers. The three classes I'm heavily looking at are wizard, SK, and bard. Wizard and SK I've never played, although I know I am a very solid tank player, and am an exceptional bard. My question is of these 3 classes which would you guys recommend? Ignore difficulty between them, and do consider I'm starting out fresh. I will likely roll all of them at some point, but looking long term which I should focus on.

Finally the last time I played EQ I was in high school, I've since gotten a degree and have a job that takes up a lot of time. Be honest, should I even bother trying to play this, or would I be simply spinning my tires and miss out on most of the game if I can't dedicate large blocks of time to the game? Goals: eventually seeing a little raid content, have a solid group of guildies to do things with, and reaching max level. Not a Goal: equipping the best of every slot

Thank you for any answers you guys might provide, debating hard if I should try to play or not.

Ektar
07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
most people will be in karnors or sebilis, but you'll also find people in oasis, sola, solb, mistmoore, unrest... etc. From what I've seen, during the day on a weekday you'll have not many people in these lower (or higher) zones. But later in the day or weekends you'll be able to find people.

Tanks are in high demand, so SK is a good choice for you. Wizards are unpopular but are not in demand. Bards are always good. I'd say go SK based on the tank demand and your seeming passion for it.

mosto f us were in high school and have since gotten jobs. I say most because I was in 7th grade, now have a degree and have a job :P I don't think you'll find anyone that isn't at LEAST 20. obv that could be untrue but for the most part we're all grown up and have responsibilities. So yeah, play - that's not going to get in your way.

vinx
07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Just do it!
Theres a ton of maxed out people. well, 50+ but as far as leveling,
the 1-20 range is always full as most have alts and theres new people always comin in
the 20-50 range might get a little slow but if your havin fun you'll meet people

Goals:
yes, yes and possibly
depending how often you play, but theres hope as the server will be around for quite awhile

Estu
07-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Don't play wizards, they're an awful class.

Nebi
07-19-2011, 11:50 PM
up to 30 is like a walk in the park. Better hope you made enough friends in that 1 - 30 grind that can power you through 31 - 50.

Muerte
07-20-2011, 02:08 AM
It's much easier to level on this server than on live because there is stuff to kill. On live in some zones you had to work hard to find blues.

I'd say go SK, they are pretty cool.

Atmas
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Been playing for a couple of weeks, I'm just 35 now so I can't say for the high end but I've never really had trouble finding a group when I was looking for one. It's been my experience that while the server is probably more top heavy there are lots of people at all level ranges. I've grouped with lots of alts but also a suprisingly high number of new to the server players.

I would suggest joining a leveling guild to have contact with other people around your level who are forming groups.

You should also probably play what ever class you would have the most fun with. I have a Wiz and a Rogue. If you read the forums the Wiz has some stigma with it because mana regen sucks and sustainable dps suffers. Despite this I have never had trouble getting a group, this may change when I get to a higher level /shrug. I do however do my best to not be a drag on the group. I buy crack before joining groups, and I group with classes that enhance mana regen, or group with other kiting classes to tackle higher level mobs. I also make use of my other non-nuke spells for utility and manage mana so I can burn mobs when necessary.

I will also point out though that I do spend a lot of time soloing, by choice, because I don't have to wait for anyone else to get started xping and get to afk whenever I want. This is helpful with having kids and all that. I enjoy wizards, a lot of people don't.

SKs are good tanks and bards are great for groups or solo. They both have an xp penalty that some people once again on the forums say impacts their group choice. I haven't seen this in my experience so far /shrug.

As Ektar said a lot of people are older. The game did come out 12 years ago and the high majority of the people who play now played on live. A smaller percentage are friends of people who played on live or just started now. There is also a few people who I have run into who are children of people who played on live so are younger.

Messianic
07-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Don't play wizards, they're an awful class.

lol...

It makes me laugh how many people realize this now.