PDA

View Full Version : Combo - new player

xonic1
07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi,

Currently trying to get my friend to play on P99, except he has never played before. I played an ENC mainly back when Kunark came out for about 4 years and a Beastlord later on.

What is a good combo on P99? Basically I want to level quick. We both don't have a ton of time to invest in the game so we need classes that will level at a good pace and not be too item dependent...since we are both new and have nothing.

I do have a human mage currently and he is decent at soloing, but I still seem to be leveling very slow. People have told me they get their mage to 50 pretty quick. So I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have any guides on where to level?

Thanks

Vohl
07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
A halfling fighter and cleric would do nicely due to XP bonus. Hang out in Misty Thicket until your teens, then go to Unrest until your low 20s. From there, head to Mistmoore. That's worked well for me into the 30s.

SupaflyIRL
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Seconding halfling cleric/halfling warrior if you want to level easily, ogre SK/troll shaman if you want to dominate but level slower.

Necro/Mage will also level quickly if you want a caster based duo and not be gear dependent at ALL.

xonic1
07-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Would Iksar Sham/SK be worse than ogre/troll exp wise? I would rather level in FoB and Iksar areas.

SupaflyIRL
07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
1.44x penalty for iksar combo, 1.40x for ogre troll so negligible but you have to keep in mind the armor selection for iksar SKs is very limited until velious and iksar shaman cannot wear a jaundiced bone bracer (mana free nuke item). You could always do ogre sk/iksar shaman and just have the iksar of the two of you buy all the spells in cabilis but you'd have to get the ogre to FoB somehow.

jerok88
07-21-2011, 12:29 AM
For fast xp a mage/nec would be very nice. Basically a mage is a fantastic solo class and a necromancer is as well - also any combination of (mage or nec) * sham, dru, ench would work with varying, all high, levels of success.

Spacebar
07-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Another combo you might consider is monk/shaman. A lot of people tend to run with this combo, and for good reason. The two classes compliment each other so well and get better and better as you level. Basically it's the most overpowered melee class with the most overpowered healer class.

When i duo with a shaman on my monk I can basically take down about anything a full group can do but getting much better xp.

Also, iksar monk/shaman would be good even with the xp penalty. And if either of you aren't on, those two classes can solo ok after level 25+. But if you want to avoid the penalties you could go human monk/barbarian shaman or something like that.

Vohl
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Agnostic human monk with barbarian shaman gets you Blackburrow through the mid-teens. You should have quite a bit of fun in there.

Iksar monk and shaman gets you FoB into the low teens, then Kurns through 20th level or so.

With a shaman, regen doesn't matter nearly as much, so human would level faster. Human / Barbarian factioin is generally nicer.

Ultimately, though, the choice should be based on how cool your characters look.

Bubbles
07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Also it's worth pointing out that if the human monk is starting in Freeport, a troll or ogre shaman is both a. ) closer to the monk's xp penalty and b. ) much closer in starting area to the Freeport monk.

If your goal is to meet up right away, you'll have an easy enoughtime of it running your trolls and ogres to FP for a bind (hell druids quad in feerott all the time, easy to camp the rings and get a sow/port)...

Not that vengeful soloists and blackburrow keeps a barb shammy blocked from the Qeynos monk, but if the guy playing the shammy wants to go Troll or Ogre, just saying there is options out there, and they'd level at closer to the same rate. :)