PDA

View Full Version : To the new players!!!

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey,

My character's name is Vazdeline. If you are new to P99 I would love to help out with any questions, some gear to get you going, and some cash aid.

Feel free to PM me here on the forums or PST in game and welcome!

Ektar
07-21-2011, 08:40 AM
or you can play eq for real and kill decaying skeletons for cloth armor and eagerly hunt down the ones with staves hoping for cracked.

though that's up to you.

falkun
07-21-2011, 08:46 AM
or you can play eq for real and kill decaying skeletons for cloth armor and eagerly hunt down the ones with staves hoping for cracked.

That cracked staff would make you a rich L2 real quick!

Stormlight
07-21-2011, 09:04 AM
"Woot, it has a cracked staff! *kills* Oh, it's just a worn great staff. :("

That's been me several times so far.

Ektar
07-21-2011, 09:10 AM
yeah exactly. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything if I were just starting eq again for the first time.

Don't seek handouts. Kill decaying skeletons. Be a warrior in full cloth. SEEK THAT CRACKED STAFF!

thank you.

Messianic
07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Before you give handouts to people who are new to the server, make sure you consider that you may be ruining one of the best and enduring aspects of EQ - nothing is handed to you on a silver platter. Many classes are very difficult and tedious to level without twinking.

But if we played a game because it wasn't tedious or difficult, we wouldn't be playing EQ - we'd be playing WoW, Rift, or any myriad of next-gen MMOs which streamline and guardrail everything for you.

I had a tremendous amount of fun figuring out how to make plat and survive on my first few non-twinks on this server. Twinking is fun and all, but nothing beats the experience of building your character completely on your own.

So before you give that handout - be sure you're not giving so much as to ruin the person's chance to experience one of the best parts of this game. As a balance, I've given out a ton of gear to new players - most of that has been suits of banded or cheap weapons like Gloompoons, Runed Falchions, etc...And it's great. I've made some cool friends by helping them out when they got to the server.

But I never wanted to give them so much they don't get to experience building their own character.

Farkle
07-21-2011, 10:37 AM
being new to this server and agreeing with every statement made here. It is SOOO cool o get a random player to buff, hand a few plat, or spells or gear, but definately dont over do it. I have sold some items i have, and am scratching through, but while sitting on the dock waiting for the boat i was handed a savants cap. OMG my first magical item!

Ektar
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I was actually saying something slightly different. people can handout as much shit as they want; I'm putting it on the newbie to not seek the handouts. Don't hang around the ec tunnel waiting for someone to hand you something 15 levels above you. Just do your thing like the game was designed.

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

When I started playing EQ someone handed me 10p, and taught me how to do jewelcrafting.

I'm offering starter help, not going to give you the world of loot.

Ektar
07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
offer anything you want. I'm telling the newbies not to seek it. not sure why you have to call me mediocre :(

Malev
07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Once you get all the rawhide you want, stuff sells to vendors for good money! Rawhide and cracked staffs all the way baby!

Aadill
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Come Velious I am specifically making an alt to do just this.

I might make a ranger~

Tewaz
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree with the struggle is part of it, but getting a Mino Axe at level 7 on live felt so awesome!

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 03:16 PM
offer anything you want. I'm telling the newbies not to seek it. not sure why you have to call me mediocre :(

That came out wrong and was not what I meant. Really just trying to help the server out.

Eyeke
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Very cool idea. If you need some help let me know.

Amelinda
07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you Vazdeline. Things like this make me proud to play on p99. <3

Extunarian
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
That came out wrong and was not what I meant. Really just trying to help the server out.

Ektar is actually the chairman of the RNC in real life. Don't let him get to you.

Ektar
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
man I wish I was a rich old white man. money's awesome.

Tornin
07-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm currently a level 14 Dwarf Paladin. I started with nothing and did the whole hunt down skeletons and sell bone chips thing. I ended up being able to but some nice pieces of armor and a decent sword. It has given me a sense of accomplishment. That being said, most of the items I purchased in EC were given to me a good deal cheaper than the price being asked. I haggle. I told them what I had and they either accepted the offer or did not. It's still nice to see people with extra stuff pass an item or two off to a noob though.

Snowz
07-21-2011, 05:28 PM
65 necro and 61 cleric with epic on Live...3 90's on eq2 heh.
Decided to play a bard this time around..loving it so far! Full set of cloth at 4 ;)
Problem im having is finding quests from Freeport,aside from the mail delivery.Can anyone point me to a site?
Sorry for being noob..and TY again to that shaman that buffed me the other day!

Ektar
07-21-2011, 05:32 PM
kill orc pawns. that's your quest :p

I think you've been removed too long! you can find quests I guess but that's not your focus. 1999's everquest centered around killing orcs, goblins, and mothafuckin bitches; quests were something to do on the side.

Extunarian
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm currently a level 14 Dwarf Paladin. I started with nothing and did the whole hunt down skeletons and sell bone chips thing. I ended up being able to but some nice pieces of armor and a decent sword. It has given me a sense of accomplishment. That being said, most of the items I purchased in EC were given to me a good deal cheaper than the price being asked. I haggle. I told them what I had and they either accepted the offer or did not. It's still nice to see people with extra stuff pass an item or two off to a noob though.

This is what you want:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=114

You might be a few levels shy of being able to kill the orcs that drop them.

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
65 necro and 61 cleric with epic on Live...3 90's on eq2 heh.
Decided to play a bard this time around..loving it so far! Full set of cloth at 4 ;)
Problem im having is finding quests from Freeport,aside from the mail delivery.Can anyone point me to a site?
Sorry for being noob..and TY again to that shaman that buffed me the other day!

Don't forget about orcs in East Commonlands, you can get deathfist belts for turn in.

Athosblack
07-22-2011, 03:49 AM
To the poster of this thread, do whatever the hell you want since EQ is about doing whatever you like...right??. Don't listen to all these blowhards =P

To all you blowhards, keep doing ur thang.