PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a monk

tekniq
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
i've only played a caster on live/p99...and it's getting pretty boring i must say. i'm looking to start a twink monk and need some suggestions. one of my main questions is:

should i get a t-staff or an rfs starting off from 1-50? (i heard post50, t-staff is indeed the better item) and i'm not going to be grinding too hard on this monk, he's just going to be a casual twink. i'd probably just want to get him either a tstaff/rfs and an fbss (cause i don't want to keep buying weapons), then just some decent monk gear. can anyone lead me to the right direction? (i mainly just want a BEAST weapon coupled with an FBSS, i think that will be fun owning mobs for the lower levels)

and of course, thank you !

Estu
07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
If you think playing a caster is boring, I've got bad news for you about your melee character with three buttons to press...

tekniq
07-21-2011, 10:49 AM
If you think playing a caster is boring, I've got bad news for you about your melee character with three buttons to press...

i can agree with you there which is one of the main reasons i never started a melee. but i think FD pulling would be kind of fun and it would be refreshing to hit something and kick something for once that does more than 14 damage lol

SirAlvarex
07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
If you're going with RFS / TStaff + FBSS you better get some good gear, because you'll be tanking half the time. I'm not sure disease cloud could keep aggro off you.

But that's half the fun, actually. Learning how to monitor your DPS so you don't rip aggro from your tanks.

Handull
07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
There is a damage cap of 20 up to lvl 10 and then 40 to lvl 20, so if you are going to play him casually, wu's quivering staff is definately a cheaper option and just as good as the best 2hb until lvl 20. but since you said you don't want to buy multiple weapons, and you seem to have no shortage of plat, then I can't help you.

You'll also do more dps before lvl 10 with two cheap one handers (fighting baton, cane of the tranquil, etc), but since my monk twink is only lvl 10, I haven't figured out what I want at the higher lvls yet

tekniq
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
If you're going with RFS / TStaff + FBSS you better get some good gear, because you'll be tanking half the time. I'm not sure disease cloud could keep aggro off you.

But that's half the fun, actually. Learning how to monitor your DPS so you don't rip aggro from your tanks.

was mostly going to use this character to duo with a buddy of mine who is going to start a cleric. we'd probably be duoing only 90% of the time and level up together

tekniq
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM
There is a damage cap of 20 up to lvl 10 and then 40 to lvl 20, so if you are going to play him casually, wu's quivering staff is definately a cheaper option and just as good as the best 2hb until lvl 20. but since you said you don't want to buy multiple weapons, and you seem to have no shortage of plat, then I can't help you.

You'll also do more dps before lvl 10 with two cheap one handers (fighting baton, cane of the tranquil, etc), but since my monk twink is only lvl 10, I haven't figured out what I want at the higher lvls yet

i'm done with my main for now until epics come out, and i've only been playing my chanter for fun but he's getting kind of boring so i guess i'd spend around 60% of my eq time on this monk.

im gonna treat my tstaff/rfs like a samurai and his sword - learn with it, own with it, stay with it until i die..i want the staff to basically be red from all the mob's blood and worn down because its the only weapon i use lol

so tstaff or rfs? lulz

Tewaz
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
RFS. Same ratio, so the faster the better. Tstaff procs at like 50? That is the only time it becomes a better option. Also, you will be able to unleash the RFS at level 10. From level 1-10 it will essentially be a 10 attack 20 delay weapon and for 10+ it will be the 19/20, allowing its full potential early on.

So I say 19/20 from 1 to until the Tstaff can proc.

tekniq
07-21-2011, 11:34 AM
RFS. Same ratio, so the faster the better. Tstaff procs at like 50? That is the only time it becomes a better option. Also, you will be able to unleash the RFS at level 10. From level 1-10 it will essentially be a 10 attack 20 delay weapon and for 10+ it will be the 19/20, allowing its full potential early on.

thank you sir!

Slave
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Actually the IFS will be the best weapon you can own from 20-50, having the exact same dps with half the weight, and 1/5th the price. It'll allow you to testdrive the monk without destroying your bank. You also won't lose a ton of money as Tstaff and RFS devalue.

From 1-20, Master Wu's Trance Sticks work well. (and again at 35 but if you have an IFS this won't matter so much)

Tewaz
07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Slave;340544]Actually the IFS will be the best weapon you can own from 20-50, having the exact same dps with half the weight, and 1/5th the price. It'll allow you to testdrive the monk without destroying your bank. You also won't lose a ton of money as Tstaff and RFS devalue.

That is true, I forgot about weight. Does stamina matter on this server? Also it is a better deal on price also. You can grab a JM and a Cane of harmony for 1 to 20 to tear some crap up for like 4k.

Tewaz
07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Actually the IFS will be the best weapon you can own from 20-50, having the exact same dps with half the weight, and 1/5th the price. It'll allow you to testdrive the monk without destroying your bank. You also won't lose a ton of money as Tstaff and RFS devalue.

That is true, I forgot about weight. Does stamina matter on this server? Also it is a better deal on price also. You can grab a JM and a Cane of harmony for 1 to 20 to tear some crap up for like 4k.

Estu
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Stamina hasn't been implemented yet.

Slave
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Stamina hasn't been implemented yet.

Part 2 of your statement should have read: but weight is extremely important for Monks anyway, due to AC concerns.

Estu
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Part 2 of your statement should have read: but weight is extremely important for Monks anyway, due to AC concerns.

Right. Though since he's twinking a monk I was hoping he'd know that already. One important thing to note, though, is that despite the UI showing otherwise, all monks of any level have a weight limit of 14. 15 or over and you take an AC hit. The UI shows that at higher levels you can have higher weights, but this is not the case, and is noted in one of the recent patch notes.

tekniq
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Right. Though since he's twinking a monk I was hoping he'd know that already. One important thing to note, though, is that despite the UI showing otherwise, all monks of any level have a weight limit of 14. 15 or over and you take an AC hit. The UI shows that at higher levels you can have higher weights, but this is not the case, and is noted in one of the recent patch notes.

thanks for the tip.

regarding ifs vs rfs, i'd figure rfs would be better DPS wise due to the fact that you have more chances to hit the mob - one miss with the ifs is equivalent to 2 of rfs!

Treats
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Runed Fighters Staff outdamages the Imbued Fighters Staff by quite a large margin. These two weapons are not even close. Both of these have the same damage bonus until a few months before Velious when two handed weapons with delay under 28 are nerfed.

This is another thing to consider when figuring out which you want to buy. If you do end up purchasing a Runed Fighters Staff, its going to lose a lot of its value after the damage bonus is changed.

I would just go with the Tranquil Staff if you can only afford/want to buy one weapon. There is no nerf that will make it lose its value. Also, if you are still around in the Velious era, you will most likely be switching to two one hand weapons (or fists with epic) that provide more dps and can still sell the Tranquil Staff for a pretty good chunk of plat.

Messianic
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Also, if you are still around in the Velious era, you will most likely be switching to two one hand weapons (or fists with epic) that provide more dps and can still sell the Tranquil Staff for a pretty good chunk of plat.

In all of my experimentation on live, Tstaff + epic haste + item haste was always stronger than epic fists + epic haste + item haste. I could be wrong - if someone wants to eventually post parses here that show that epic fists are better, fine - but epic fists (9/16) didn't trump Tstaff on live in late Velious/Luclin.

tekniq
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Runed Fighters Staff outdamages the Imbued Fighters Staff by quite a large margin. These two weapons are not even close. Both of these have the same damage bonus until a few months before Velious when two handed weapons with delay under 28 are nerfed.

This is another thing to consider when figuring out which you want to buy. If you do end up purchasing a Runed Fighters Staff, its going to lose a lot of its value after the damage bonus is changed.

I would just go with the Tranquil Staff if you can only afford/want to buy one weapon. There is no nerf that will make it lose its value. Also, if you are still around in the Velious era, you will most likely be switching to two one hand weapons (or fists with epic) that provide more dps and can still sell the Tranquil Staff for a pretty good chunk of plat.

Wouldn't the RFS still go up in value as time passes just due to the fact that it no longer drops?

Also, I think the T-Staff will steadily decrease in price as time passes as well..any thoughts?

Razdeline
07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Monks are undoubtedly the best melee soloers-- and they are the most dynamic when it comes to a group/raid dynamic when it comes to pulling.

Slave
07-21-2011, 02:53 PM

You make several incorrect statements and/or assumptions here. I will deal with the two big ones:

-IFS is the exact same dps as RFS until you get damage bonus, and that is not for a long while. Also, IFS actually scales better with haste.

-Tstaff will almost certainly decrease in price, quite a bit from its present state, the result of being a one-class item who have several great choices, and a constant stream of new weapons entering the market.

Nytewind TP
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Even back in the day on Live the TStaff was always pretty high in value and up until PoP I believe it was normal to go from TStaff, SoFW, then REBB if you got the drop. Since we wont see the SoFW or the REBB then the TStaff will/should be high for a while.

Treats
07-21-2011, 07:15 PM
You make several incorrect statements and/or assumptions here. I will deal with the two big ones:

-IFS is the exact same dps as RFS until you get damage bonus, and that is not for a long while. Also, IFS actually scales better with haste.

-Tstaff will almost certainly decrease in price, quite a bit from its present state, the result of being a one-class item who have several great choices, and a constant stream of new weapons entering the market.

Since it seems you have no understanding of how the damage mechanics in Everquest work, I'll explain it to you. Please do some research next time.

DAMAGE CAPS

Until level 10 there is a maximum on weapon damage no matter what you use. It does not matter what you use if the weapon's damage is over this cap. The IFS and the RFS have the exact same damage. IFS has 40 delay. RFS has 20 delay. I think you can do the math.

From 10-20 the cap raises. Once again it does not matter which weapon you use. The damge is exactly the same.

20+ has another damage cap I think, I do not know exactly what this is. It could be over 19. If it is not, both weapons are still exactly the same until you reach the level when this is removed.

DOUBLE ATTACK

Using the IFS with no haste you have a chance at attacking EIGHT times in 12 seconds (38/40) with a successful double attack in each round.

Using the RFS with no haste you have a chance at attacking FOURTEEN times in 12 seconds (19/20) with a successful double attack in each round.

Double attack does not fire every time you attack. It is based on level/skill. Ideally you want as many chances as you can get at performing a successful double attack.

HASTE SCALING

Let me get this straight, since the Imbued Fighters Staff has a higher delay (40) than the Runed Fighters Staff (20) you believe adding the same percentage of haste to both items will somehow make the IFS maximize its gain better than the RFS?????????????????????????? Simple math.

Lets say your monk has both weapons. We'll just say he attacks once every time the delay is up on the weapon to make it easy. IFS - Once every four seconds with no haste. RFS - Once every two seconds with no haste. (Assume leaving the first attack at 0 seconds out of the equation to make it easier -- You would actually have 16 attacks per minute with the IFS, 31 with the RFS)

NO HASTE

IFS - 38/40 - 15 attacks per minute
RFS - 19/20 - 30 attacks per minute

FBSS EQUIPPED

IFS - 38/33.057851 - 18.150000 attacks per minute
RFS - 19/16.528925 - 36.30000 attacks per minute

You think because the haste dropped the delay on the Imbued Fighters Staff by 7 its somehow better now than the RFS that only dropped delay by 3.5????????????? Seriously??????????

Barkingturtle
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I've read two-handed damage is funny, and not in a good way. In an unfunny way.

Are the 2-handers(T-Staff, RFS, IFS, Peacebringer) better pre-50 than some of the nicer one-handed weapons(thinking AC and SoS)? I mean, post-50 when they start proc'ing I imagine the one-handers are a no-brainer unless you have a T-Staff, but what about leveling up?

That's a convoluted question but I've been wondering about it so please, someone: answer it.

Slave
07-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Since it seems you have no understanding of how the damage mechanics in Everquest work, I'll explain it to you. Please do some research next time.

Please allow me to teach you basic game concepts.

1. DAMAGE CAPS This is why I said to use the IFS from 20-50. I'm pretty sure my grandma knows that you can't deal maximum damage at level 4. Would you like to teach us how to pee, too?

20+ has another damage cap I think, I do not know exactly what this is. It could be over 19.

It's kind of funny how much you don't know, but attemping to troll someone based on your total lack of knowledge didn't bring you very far into your post, did it?

2. DOUBLE ATTACK Where did I say anything remotely to the contrary? I'm honestly surprised at the hate of your attack on absolutely nothing. Your double attack gets a chance to proc every time you swing your 2h weapon. My grandma also knows this. Would you like to teach us all where to make poop, too?

3. HASTE SCALING The RFS is actually fast enough that it can hit the absolute lowest amount of attacks allowed in a given time period, between worn + spell + overhaste. The IFS cannot hit that limit, it just keeps getting faster and more efficient.

So, in conclusion, you were 1) Spitting with hate at nothing and also lacking in general information, 2) weirdly raging for no purpose, and 3) Totally wrong.

SirAlvarex
07-21-2011, 09:00 PM
was mostly going to use this character to duo with a buddy of mine who is going to start a cleric. we'd probably be duoing only 90% of the time and level up together

Oh, then at this point the question really becomes "Which weapon can I get sooner"? Because lets face it, any of the weapons mentioned in this thread will last you for all 60 levels.

baalzy
07-21-2011, 10:38 PM
3. HASTE SCALING The RFS is actually fast enough that it can hit the absolute lowest amount of attacks allowed in a given time period, between worn + spell + overhaste. The IFS cannot hit that limit, it just keeps getting faster and more efficient.

With the haste cap being 100% combined (until bard overhaste in velious) & the delay floor being 10 (or 9, depending on who you talk to), RFS won't have a problem. So as long as damage bonus' on 2 handers are the same no matter what the delay is, RFS is a superior weapon.

Slave
07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
So as long as damage bonus' on 2 handers are the same no matter what the delay is, RFS is a superior weapon.

This gets patched soon.™

Troy
07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
This gets patched soon.™

I thought the patch wasn't until after Velious launch?

Treats
07-22-2011, 01:37 AM

Please allow me to teach you basic game concepts.

1. DAMAGE CAPS This is why I said to use the IFS from 20-50. I'm pretty sure my grandma knows that you can't deal maximum damage at level 4. Would you like to teach us how to pee, too?

Hold on, what??? First you say to use the IFS from 20-50. Then you say its the exact same dps as the RFS until you get damage bonus?????????

2. DOUBLE ATTACK Where did I say anything remotely to the contrary? I'm honestly surprised at the hate of your attack on absolutely nothing. Your double attack gets a chance to proc every time you swing your 2h weapon. My grandma also knows this. Would you like to teach us all where to make poop, too?

See if you can follow this here. I'll explain it really well for you this time. The more times you swing your 2h weapon, the more chances you have to perform a double attack. The more chances you have to double attack, the more times the damage bonus is going to be applied. I thought that would be fairly clear to most if they read my previous post.

The same thing holds true for hit/miss ratio. The more chances you have to hit, the more times the damage bonus is going to be applied. Put these weapons up against each other for a five minute test. Assume hit/miss ratio is 70%. Make the damage bonus 10 for each weapon. Just assume each hit is for the damage of the weapon + the damage bonus.

IFS - 38/40 - 52.5 hits per 5 minutes = 2520 damage (48 * 52.5)
RFS - 19/20 - 105 hits per 5 minutes = 3045 damage (29 * 105)

All false. There will NEVER EVER be any overhaste on this server. It was not added until the Luclin expansion. Even if you could get overhaste, the delay would drop to 9. This is all a moot point anyway, there should not be a minimum delay on weapons.

Once again the Imbued Fighters Staff will NEVER compare to the Runed Fighters Staff BEFORE the damage bonus is changed. Perhaps it is close when you first receive the damage bonus at 28-30, but who in their right mind would buy and use the IFS for three levels. If you do not believe me go and run some parses with both weapons as you level up a monk.

Most of the information in your posts was incorrect. I simply corrected it. I'm sorry if you're mad.

hkic
07-25-2011, 12:56 PM
so here's what i got now. help me fill in the other slots!

weapon: RFS
chest: fungus robe
5/55 rings
executioner's hood
(i'm going to farm GoP)
HBC
FBSS...

should i be getting items that focus on STR?

Treats
07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Black Sapphire or Sta earrings
Black Sapphire or Sta Neck
Mask of Wurms
Crown of King Tranix or Wu's
Hardened Clay Bracelet or Bracer of Erollissi or Wu's
Azure Sleeves
Gem Enlaid Gauntlets
Wu's Shoulder
Gatorscale Leggings or Wu's
Kobold Hide Boots or Wu's

If you are on a tight budget, use Wu's and everything else you can afford with the most HP/AC.

Stunnah
07-26-2011, 01:53 AM
I would go for more ac/stamina.. lasting longer in a battle is definitely good :)

Hmend
07-26-2011, 03:26 AM
I would go for more ac/stamina.. lasting longer in a battle is definitely good :)

Omg nub. Charisma is best stat for monks quit trollin

Messianic
07-26-2011, 09:12 AM

5/55 rings
executioner's hood
(i'm going to farm GoP)
HBC
FBSS...

No. Ac/Hp/Str, in that order.

Dump the exe hood. Get Froggy Crown or Tranixx Crown if you're rollin in dough.

Stunnah
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Omg nub. Charisma is best stat for monks quit trollin

bahaha hmend eat a gnome!

Hmend
08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
bahaha hmend eat a gnome!

You monster

Motec
08-02-2011, 12:45 AM

5/55 rings
executioner's hood
(i'm going to farm GoP)
HBC
FBSS...

Everything is irrelevent after the RFS and fbss.

I would put all available resources into an RBG though or sash of dragonborne.

Haste > Weapon > HP > STR > Resists > AC.

If you cant stretch to more haste though the best thing you can possibly pickup is a large soiled bag and 1-2 tink bags. These will make up more AC than most of the armor available.
Wu's is fine for most slots with azure sleeves and a tranix crown
Black saph 35hp ears
NoS or BS neck
Tranix crown for the MR
7MR bracers if you cant stretch to hardened clay + granite.

You're really quite limited in what you can do without going all out for the fungi route, so more HP for mend efficiency is the biggest bang for buck after maximising damage. Tink bags means a lot for both your weight limit, plus being able to loot and liquidate that loot into gems

tekniq
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
i'm not planning to loot anything really which is why i dont want any other weapons, just gonna kill stuffs so i think tink bag is unnecessary specifically for me. how much strength do i need to be rockin to do max damage? 225?

Baa
08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Tink Bag + Large Soiled bag were some of my best investments, you need to keep in mind that each stack of bandages/food/shurikens weighs 0.5 - say you carry 16 stacks that is 8 additional weight.

If I am using my peacebringer the most I can get my weight down to is 18, however using my JM/KD I can drop it down to 12ish. If I didn't have WR bags the weight of carrying all those weapons, jboots (2.5), bandages, food and shurikens would take my weight up to 30+

Motec
08-02-2011, 08:08 PM
You may not plan to loot anything, but you will. And holding anything requires a tink bag and large soiled (cheapest option).

18 with a peacebringer is better than 12 with jm/kd considering riposts go up in direct correlation with attack rounds on mob, which hurts a bunch when soloing/tanking for sure. Not to mention the huge dps disparity at all levels.

tekniq
08-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I weigh a heavy 24 stones right now most of it coming from my T-staff (traded my RFS), Idol of Thorned, and GoP (i think thats around 18 stones)