PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes of SOE

xblade724
03-15-2010, 03:56 AM
There are many challenges in the game, but some of them were patched later thinking "Wow, we made a huge mistake - wish we would have done this in release!"

* Hell levels - removed
* race/class penalties/bonuses - removed
* Experienced loss - slightly lowered (you die so easily and so fast and there's less population on the emulated server to rez you!)!
* Mob speed - slightly lowered
* Mob SoW - DOES NOT EFFECT speed when snared! If I snare myself accidentally with lvl 50 sow on me, I sure as hell will walk, not run still very fast because I have sow stacked on me.
* Make it slightly easier to regain concentration on spells
* Global /commands: /invite for group formation and /guildremove to kick out dumbshit members without them hiding in a zone no officer would ever care to visit to make the removal or gate as soon as they arrive so they can't gkick them
* Encourage grouping more by giving a significant bonus to give people a reason to go to challenging dungeons for xp over quad kiting halflings for phat lewt and exp

/end_rant

Aadill
03-15-2010, 06:02 AM
* Hell levels - removed
Milestones. It's about accomplishment.

* race/class penalties/bonuses - removed
Rulesets geared towards this entire game not feeling like every character is generic. If you want higher regen or being so fat that you can't be stunned, eat more. The class penalties were removed because frankly, they were dumb.

* Experienced loss - slightly lowered (you die so easily and so fast and there's less population on the emulated server to rez you!)!
Don't die. If you die, man up and don't feel like you deserve a rez every time; suck it up and get back to XPing.

* Mob speed - slightly lowered
It has been explained that very few mobs are actually at the wrong speed. I don't see what the problem is, here. You are literally asking that everything not ever be able to hit you even without a utility spell such as snare.

* Mob SoW - DOES NOT EFFECT speed when snared! If I snare myself accidentally with lvl 50 sow on me, I sure as hell will walk, not run still very fast because I have sow stacked on me.
Snares are movement decreasing spells. 30-66% speed reduction. Works as intended.

* Make it slightly easier to regain concentration on spells
Don't get hit. Get more agi/dex. Perhaps you chose the wrong specialization if you're getting hit on an important spell type.

* Global /commands: /invite for group formation and /guildremove to kick out dumbshit members without them hiding in a zone no officer would ever care to visit to make the removal or gate as soon as they arrive so they can't gkick them
Don't invite dumbshit members. If you do, it does seem fair to be able to kick them when needed. I find that hilarious that someone would do something wrong then go to the trouble to jump around to evade getting kicked despite not really having any advantage to staying in a guild that hates them. It's not like there is a guild bank or anything.

* Encourage grouping more by giving a significant bonus to give people a reason to go to challenging dungeons for xp over quad kiting halflings for phat lewt and exp
90% of the time, the druids that solo from 1-50 aren't good grouping material. 76% of statistics are made up on the spot (the argument stands).

Rael
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I think most people are on this server to replay the game the way it used it to be in the old zones, not because they're nostalgic about that crappy interface EQ used to have. Personally I'd like to see global commands and raid chat introduced here.

Ermonican
03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Personally I'd like to see global commands and raid chat introduced here.

Me too!

xblade724
03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes I'm nastalgic about the old zones and it being popular; and the old items and such.. not about these

"Snares are movement decreasing spells. 30-66% speed reduction. Works as intended."

Incorrect, sir, if you are correct about this then how come if I get snared with SoW, I move slower than a damn snail? If it's working as intended, then when I get snared, I want to run fast too like I'm running without sow because it's a 30-66% speed reduction.

"I find that hilarious that someone would do something wrong then go to the trouble to jump around to evade getting kicked despite not really having any advantage to staying in a guild that hates them."

Our guild is trying to filter out all the idiots, but just look how many trolls there are - some people get off on it.

"Don't get hit. Get more agi/dex. Perhaps you chose the wrong specialization if you're getting hit on an important spell type."
You're a cool guy for saying that. As a druid, I'm pretty defenseless unless I can regain my concentration pretty often. God forbid a decaying skeleton aggroing me stops me from doing my job. We don't get specialization til lvl 30 and in classic eq, between 1 and 30 is a pretty long time, for the average person with a full time job. Permafrost for instance, I pull a goblin and another goblin comes at me. NPCs are already OP compared to players - give us the break of being able to regain out concentration a bit more, won't hurt anyone.

"Don't die. If you die, man up and don't feel like you deserve a rez every time; suck it up and get back to XPing."
Welcome to EverQuest. You get trained. Often. And your original tactics sometimes fail. God forbid escaping in EQ is impossible or if you gate on your group, you are the douche of the party for "abandoning your team" even though most are truly just jealous. But even with that, getting hit once as a druid under level 30 won't get gate off anyways because regaining your concentration is slim to impossible til specialization. Dying is part of the game - and penalties are necessary, but not THIS much! I'm sure it's happened to many of you that go on a CR and get trained as soon as you zone in. Suddenly, you have 2 corpses and countless xp loss. It should be a "learn from your mistakes" sorta deal, but you'll note that most of the time you die, it's from other people's mistakes not yours. That said, you shouldn't take as much of an XP hit considering most deaths are someone else's fault being idiots. I'm not "being in denial never blaming myself", just statistically speaking in all honesty.

Hasbinbad
03-15-2010, 01:39 PM
QQ
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n24/n120795.jpg

Aadill
03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
If you can prove that there are actual problems that exist with the code that are not inherent to the original EQ experience than I agree with your points, but you're asking for the game to cater to you in ways that it never did.

"Don't die. If you die, man up and don't feel like you deserve a rez every time; suck it up and get back to XPing."
Welcome to EverQuest. You get trained. Often. And your original tactics sometimes fail. God forbid escaping in EQ is impossible or if you gate on your group, you are the douche of the party for "abandoning your team" even though most are truly just jealous. But even with that, getting hit once as a druid under level 30 won't get gate off anyways because regaining your concentration is slim to impossible til specialization. Dying is part of the game - and penalties are necessary, but not THIS much! I'm sure it's happened to many of you that go on a CR and get trained as soon as you zone in. Suddenly, you have 2 corpses and countless xp loss. It should be a "learn from your mistakes" sorta deal, but you'll note that most of the time you die, it's from other people's mistakes not yours. That said, you shouldn't take as much of an XP hit considering most deaths are someone else's fault being idiots. I'm not "being in denial never blaming myself", just statistically speaking in all honesty.

lol

nilbog
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
God forbid escaping in EQ is impossible or if you gate on your group, you are the douche of the party for "abandoning your team" even though most are truly just jealous.

We brought back the "your gate is too unstable and collapses." I always enjoyed when someone got mad, or wanted to cause a scene, then their gate collapsed. This was (I think) removed by SoE on live, and it was a mistake!

Ferok
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
We brought back the "your gate is too unstable and collapses." I always enjoyed when someone got mad, or wanted to cause a scene, then their gate collapsed. This was (I think) removed by SoE on live, and it was a mistake!

My gate collapsed the other day. I was very pleased.

Aadill
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Ranger gate never fails.

Trimm
03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
It might be a bug, but I always seem to lose exp and my gear when I use my Ranger's gate.

Zexa
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Still fails at level 85! ARGH!

nilbog
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Still fails at level 85! ARGH!Oh hell yeah. Then I retract my statement. It was just missing from eqemulator.

Aeolwind
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll reiterate now I said back then: If Sony stopped listening to the players and just made their game things would have gone much better. You -cannot- give more weight to a players opinions than your idea of the game. If you stay true to yourself & your game things will be fine. Certainly players will have a good idea occasionally, but they can't weigh in on things like class balance, progression speed & game mechanics. It just doesn't work.

Here it is a bit different, it's generally easy to tell someone to piss off cause it wasn't that way classically. Now in real development, I'd just be telling people to piss off :p.

AexDestroy
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd just be telling people to piss off

And THATS....

http://authenticorganizations.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/image2.png

Aeolwind
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
And THATS....

http://authenticorganizations.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/image2.png

I hate to say it, but yeah; If I had a chance to make an MMO I don't think I could or would let "public opinion" weigh heavily on my decisions. Look at Warhammer, look at EQ now, look at any game with general weak willed development. EA is one of the few game developers that still gives a proverbial finger to gamers & develops games, not gamer ideas.