PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Classes up to Velious

Sensus
07-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Feel free to fill in the template with your opinion. FoH had a nice thread up with the same discussion and thought I'd open it up in our forum. The best/worst class will obviously be situational (i.e. based on solo/group/raiding) but give a general opinion. Any additional comments are welcome.

Original
Best:
Worst:

Kunark
Best:
Worst:

Velious
Best:
Worst:

Oncedark
07-25-2011, 03:57 PM
[Solo]
Original
Best:
Worst: Rogue

Kunark
Best:

Velious
Best:

azeth
07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
[Solo]
Original
Best: Magician

Kunark
Best: Necromancer

Velious
Best: Shaman

[Group]
Original
Best: Enchanter
Worst: Ranger

Kunark

Velious

[Raid]
Original
Best: Cleric

Kunark
Best: Cleric

Velious
Best: Warrior

edit: this got pretty uninteresting once I started listing Ranger

Kope
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
[Solo]
Original
Best: Necro/Druid/Mage
Worst: Rogue/Warrior

Kunark
Best: Necro/Druid/Mage

Velious
Best: Necro/Druid/Shaman/Mage

[Group]
Original
Best: Bard/Rogue/Cleric/Enchanter
Worst: Wiz/Necro

Kunark
Best: Bard/Rogue/Cleric

Velious
Best: Bard/Rogue/Cleric

[Raid]
Original
Best: All except Necro
Worst: Necro

Kunark
Best: All except for Necro

Velious

Kruel
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
[Solo]
Original
[Raid]
Original
Best: All except Necro

Kunark

Velious

you do realize that this is full of fail lol.. necro is worste on a raid? Just about unresistable 720 point lifetap, and doesnt need to be healed, with a pet that out dmgs some ppl at the raid? Apparently you have never raided before lols

Kope
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
you do realize that this is full of fail lol.. necro is worste on a raid? Just about unresistable 720 point lifetap, and doesnt need to be healed, with a pet that out dmgs some ppl at the raid? Apparently you have never raided before lols

The entire thing is a troll dude :) It's a joke, calm down :)

Kruel
07-25-2011, 04:49 PM
The entire thing is a troll dude :) It's a joke, calm down :)

Oddly enough those arent my tags tho =P, someone thinks your in need of rehab

Kassel
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Original
Best: Druid/Necro
Worst: Rogue/War

Kunark
Best: Rogue/Ench
Worst: Druid/Ranger

Velious
Best: Monk/Rogue
Worst: Ench/Druid

Nytewind TP
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Sort of makes me wish P99 had AAs. Rangers were very low until the AAs made them a nice class.

Kope
07-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Oddly enough those arent my tags tho =P, someone thinks your in need of rehab

I have no idea what you mean but it's all in good fun :). Every class has their benefits.

azeth
07-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Every class has their benefits.

True, an example would be the Ranger class. Without whom a raid surely would not suffer enough casualties.

Tiggles
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
dude with 41% haste a fungi and 2 bloodpoints I can totally solo light blues as a rogue

shdwdrake8
07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Some people listed Shaman as best solo in Velious but not the other two... what changes? I solo pretty well on my shammy.

azeth
07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Some people listed Shaman as best solo in Velious but not the other two... what changes? I solo pretty well on my shammy.

that was me, and i basically decided that while a Necromancer can kill a larger quantity of things on his/her own - Shaman's alone have the ability to kill dragons in addition to any single mob a Necro can take.

until Velious though, Shaman's can basically do whatever Mage/necros can, but they cannot however do it nearly as fast/efficiently.

shdwdrake8
07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I can solo dragons? Hmmm...

WTB VELIOUS, PST

azeth
07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I can solo dragons? Hmmm...

WTB VELIOUS, PST

just the WW ones.

i've mentioned this so many times in other threads, so sorry for beating an old conversation. i just really specifically remember the WW dragons being on absolute farm status by this one Shaman "Karadana" for the entirety of Velious.

she legitimately had multiple twinks in matchless dragon stuff & i can only imagine millions of platinum.

shdwdrake8
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
just the WW ones.

Yeah, I gathered that. =D Already researching what I need to do to accomplish this. Lucky I already have JBB.

fennixad
06-07-2013, 09:21 AM
ranger are one of the best class in group:
nice cc, slow(epic, swamcaller, self haste (epic), heals to drop ench aggro on trains, best aggro makes (really good offtanks) and avg dps. Plus harmony some buffs (sow, regen, etc).
Every class can be useful, depens on group composition. Anyways enchs are the best group class ever xD. GL

TarukShmaruk
06-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Wizards are pretty horrific in groups and honestly I think worse than Rangers.

Atmas
06-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Necro is the worst class on the forums.

Samoht
06-07-2013, 10:34 AM
ranger are one of the best class in group:
nice cc, slow(epic, swamcaller, self haste (epic), heals to drop ench aggro on trains, best aggro makes (really good offtanks) and avg dps. Plus harmony some buffs (sow, regen, etc).

well, you necro'ed a two year old thread in order to spread ranger propaganda, so let's clear up some misconceptions here

ranger are one of the best class in group

if you don't mind the hybrid exp penalty.

nice cc

root parking isn't referred to as "ghetto CC" because it's fabulous

slow

rangers do not innately have slow (unless you actually meant snare)

slow(epic (sic)

this is insanely difficult to obtain and unreliable at best

self haste (epic)

this is item haste, not spell haste, and every class in the game has access to item haste. the only classes at this point that can boast self haste are monk and bard.

heals to drop ench aggro on trains

the amount healed by ranger heals as negligible at best. as a direct result, the amount of aggro gained by ranger heals is also negligible at best.

best aggro makes (really good offtanks)

they do have decent aggro from spells, but cannot take a hit. they wear chain at best and gain defensive skills late. ranger disciplines make them reliable raid tanks for a pull, but it's short lived. i remember a strat we had on live to use rangers to tank VS, but it was a rotation of ranger after ranger after ranger once they died as soon as their disc wore off.

makes (really good offtanks) (sic)

no. see above.

harmony

yes, rangers can be good outdoor pullers, but druids have the same spells without the hybrid penalty and can do everything else mentioned so far better. bards, paladins, or SKs can split pull without the zone limitations, and enchanters, monks, clerics, and necros can split pull without zone limitations or the hybrid penalty.

some buffs (sow

at 39

regen

at 55

etc

not really :(

rangers are the most poorly implemented class in everquest until the introduction of AA's in luclin. there's really no more discussion necessary. the jack of all trade, master of none title is reserved for bards.

i wouldn't go so far as to say it's a liability to have a ranger in your group, but if you don't mind the exp penalty and need another melee without any special attacks and spells that have very little effect... well, i cannot think of any situation it would be desirable to have a ranger at this point.

druids have much better heals while still having the adaptability, monks/bards are much better pullers, war/sk/pal are much better tanks, rogues/monks are much better melee DPS

ranger is undisputedly the worst class. period.

plus, it doesn't help the ranger image when fennixad is just constantly AFK in groups

TarukShmaruk
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Rangers have dual wield - exactly how bad is their dps in say, vanilla EQ, compared to other classes?

I mean a couple of ykeshas and I'm pretty sure they do more sustained dps than wizards

kaev
06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
In vanilla Ranger was superior to Warrior in a lot of ways, I knew a number of Warriors who rerolled as Rangers out of disgust in '99 (yay rubicite). In Kunark Rangers gained little (comparatively) and fell well behind. Overgeared Ranger is decent tank/puller in outdoor xp group.

edit: xp penalty is beyond retarded

AdamM01
06-07-2013, 10:48 AM
the jack of all trade, master of none title is reserved for bards.

Just thought I should point out, although late in their bard lives, they are the masters of movement speed buff in groups. Selo's Song of Travel sir.

Samoht
06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Rangers have dual wield - exactly how bad is their dps in say, vanilla EQ, compared to other classes?

monks and rogues have dual wield but also have special attacks. rogues have backstabs and monks have all of their different types of kicks and punches, both of which can be a substantial increase to DPS.

rangers just have simple 5 damage kicks, and they cap lower than warriors or monks.

so you could say that the ranger DPS is equal to the rogue DPS if you removed backstab or the monk dps if he didn't have his kicks or punches.

(bards also have dual wield, but never learn double attack)

so in all, ranger DPS would be very similar to warrior DPS, which is unfortunate considering warriors are not a DPS class.

I mean a couple of ykeshas and I'm pretty sure they do more sustained dps than wizards

those are tank weapons because they proc a DD+stun. i do not believe rangers would out DPS a wizard with C2 by just twinking proc aggro weapons. he definitely wouldn't live longer.

TarukShmaruk
06-07-2013, 10:59 AM
In vanilla Ranger was superior to Warrior in a lot of ways, I knew a number of Warriors who rerolled as Rangers out of disgust in '99 (yay rubicite). In Kunark Rangers gained little (comparatively) and fell well behind. Overgeared Ranger is decent tank/puller in outdoor xp group.

edit: xp penalty is beyond retarded

By the rubicite reference I think you mean because rubicite was like plate and gave access to plate to classes that could only wear chain?

There was more broken with Warriors back in '99 than just rubicite though - they had the same hp/ac/whatever as hybrids without any of the spells.

This got patched up in the summer of '99 though and resulted in more HP, AC, and crippling blows etc. I believe.

those are tank weapons because they proc a DD+stun. i do not believe rangers would out DPS a wizard with C2 by just twinking proc aggro weapons. he definitely wouldn't live longer.

Maybe. But my classic experience was anyone getting a SSoY that could find one because it was pretty much the best 1hs available outside the planes.

Samoht
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Maybe. But my classic experience was anyone getting a SSoY that could find one because it was pretty much the best 1hs available outside the planes.

we're well past that at this point in the game. basic kunark weapons are much better than SSoY as far as DPS is concerned.

Splorf22
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Rangers are much better than people give them credit for.

* Their melee dps is very similar to warriors (and like warriors they need vp/epic/deep sky gear to make it happen. Most of the reason people think rogues and monks are so much better is that their epics are easy)
* They can sneak in DoTs, Call of Flame, and bow shots on the pull. I think a well played ranger can do pretty well on the dps front
* The Earthcaller is great in groups (rangers can tank slowed mobs just fine) and solo. So is the Dark Cloak of the Sky - a Ranger can haste themselves to 70% (!!) with the epic
* Snare is great in zones like Sebilis with the new run code
* Great utility with tracking, cancel magic, bind affinity, off heals, natureskin etc

I know Klubba and Bompoi have duoed the fungi king, even before Bompoi was 60. And this is just indoors, outdoors rangers get SoW and Harmony making them very, very good pullers. Velious will help their case considerably as well with group +atk buffs and weaponshield discipline and hybrid casting haste and the removal of the xp penalties.

In fact in Velious I think they are pretty reasonable; in Kunark they are a bit weak but not nearly as bad as say a Druid.

Samoht
06-07-2013, 12:16 PM
bind affinity

no? rangers can't bind.

Tecmos Deception
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
this is item haste, not spell haste, and every class in the game has access to item haste. the only classes at this point that can boast self haste are monk and bard.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Dark_Cloak_of_the_Sky = spell haste clicky

Splorf probably meant bind sight, not bind affinity.

Cippofra
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I have no idea what you mean but it's all in good fun :). Every class has their benefits.

Ranger's benefit....
They can cast SoW on my monk.

Nirgon
06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
So you think a magician can solo to 60 better than an enchanter, shaman, or wizard do you?

Do you know how bard kiting works? =)

RevengeofGio
06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Well I played a ranger back in 1999 (this was my first MMO) and got my epics, dragon armor, onyx chain leggings, AoW bow and some other nice things.

Makes me really sad to see everyone trashing rangers, but back then I really didn't min max and just played for fun. I "thought" I did decent dps and I remember pulling the AoW with disc and didn't die.

Yeah.... rangers had it rough till SoL... then I remember killing some really tough things rather easily.

Nirgon
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Wolf forms help with ATK. Rangers are monsters outdoors.

Wolf form:

1 : Illusion: 42

2 : Increase Movement Speed by 42% (L24) to 55% (L50)

3 :Increase ATK by 25 (L24) to 30 (L29)

Greater wolf form:

1 : Illusion: 42

2 :Increase Movement Speed by 52% (L34) to 60% (L50)

3 : Increase ATK by 35 (L34) to 40 (L39)

Fire Fist (free grim aura earring for a dual wielder):

1 : Increase ATK by 5 (L9) to 10 (L18

They can also snare + aggro kite for almost no mana (flame lick) + bow shots for a bit of damage and even more aggro.

They have the widest track range in the game..

They don't optimally fill the dps role in the game so the WoW dps meter kiddies here cannot appreciate their usefulness.

Try doing some of the quests in the game without a tracker..

Vondra
06-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Rangers are like Druids in that they can be good in groups of less than 6, where the extra tools can actually be useful.

Messianic
06-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I specifically have a level 25 Ranger on standby for the stage of velious where they get animal fear. It's that good for pure solo xp.

Other than that, Rangers don't get a ton of huge gains. Their DPS goes up, but their defensive capabilities decrease/remain the same. Compared to the defensive powers of War/pal/SK/mnk (a ton of low weight/insanely high AC items for monks), Rangers are just slightly tougher rogues that do less damage.

But i'm still gonna grind the living crap out of one once they get animal fear.

Original
Worst: Wizard

Kunark

Velious

fadetree
06-07-2013, 04:05 PM
me too. Mine's parked at 52 until Velious.