Zalgyr
07-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Tracking.

eastadam55
07-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Pretty much tracking eh?

Doors
07-29-2011, 07:01 PM
It's fine. The class is fine. This isn't world of warcraft.

Tiggles
07-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Butt of jokes

YendorLootmonkey
07-29-2011, 07:08 PM
The upside to a ranger is the versatility of the class and not having to do the same thing over and over again. The downside is that very few people give a crap about your versatility in groups/raids.

Zuranthium
07-29-2011, 08:28 PM
It's fine. The class is fine. This isn't world of warcraft.

Always the same tired fallacy. As if wanting distinct, strong classes is anywhere near the same as wanting the class balance of WoW.

The problem with Rangers is exactly as the original poster put it - "What use do they have?" There isn't anything in EQ you need a Ranger for. Moreover, in the example of the weaponshield ability Rangers eventually get, that's not much of a unique role anyway. It's just a vanilla, limited raid ability that doesn't even fit in with the flavor of the class.

The classes of EQ are actually already a lot more in the vein of WoW than they should be (even aside from how people are playing EQ in 2011). This is because the intended vision of EQ is simply not what could be logistically implemented when the game was created and also because, as the game went along, they tried to balance the classes by making them do similar things rather than giving them distinct functions. All of the melee classes do damage by turning auto-attack on and clicking a couple skills on recharge. Not very interesting.

JenJen
07-30-2011, 12:27 AM
for a second as i began scrolling down i feared yendor may not have replied to a topic with the word "ranger" in its title. i was wrong. boyyyyy i was wrong.

greatdane
07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
The ranger class is ok, but it's still the weakest of the lot. You can do alright if you know what you're doing, but you could have done better with a better class. Fun to play, great at nothing, required for nothing.

PurelyElf
07-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Rangers are a great pvp class.

Xanthias
07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
If you know what you are doing:

Rangers are DPS and can actually avoid aggro
Rangers are CC, chanter just died by mez failure or pet breaking charm yet again. Root works wonders.
Rangers can tank, scary as it sounds rangers can tank, granted cleric needs to actually pay a bit more attention than normal but it is possible as yes rangers can HOLD aggro as well.

Sorry Rangers aren't warriors, where you hit attack and just wait.
Rangers aren't wizards where you sit, afk, then stand at last 20% and nuke.

The biggest problem with rangers isn't the class it is the people who play it who think they don't have to do anything, but hit attack and wait for stuff to die.

Played Ranger from beta through PoP on live, did nearly every high end raid in each expansion.

Rangers are the ultimate utility player and to play them well is a challenge.

Slave
07-30-2011, 02:17 AM
Rangers track better than anyone. As an example, Rangers can track the PHs of Quillmane and hold down the spawn rotation which NO OTHER CLASS can do. Because there is a simply a large chance that the PH will spawn outside of the tracking range of another class, and destroy your cycle.

JenJen
07-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Quillmane is reason enough to play a rng right yendie?!

deneauth
07-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Quillmane was the origional reason I started a ranger, but playing both a ranger and warrior I can say that I enjoy playing the ranger more. Although it is way easier to get groups with the warrior still sadly.

Edit - And I can't play the ranger while getting raging drunk. As a warrior all you do is slam taunt and kick/slam depending on whether the mob is a caster or not, so it's real easy to drink and play. Getting drunk then going ranging sucks haha.

Doors
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
words

When I say this is not World of Warcraft I'm talking about the community. People make posts like this all the time because they want to know how valid a class is before they roll it. Meaning they want to know if they can get groups or raids or a guild invite.

When I say this isn't World of Warcraft I mean that on this server you don't have a community of raging dumbasses and teenagers that are going to shit all over you for picking a class that doesn't have any significant impact on group or raid aspects of Everquest. But yeah whatever you're talking about, good luck with that.

The class is fine. I've talked to rangers post 50 and they do just fine on here. Pre 50 anyone will be fine no matter what class they pick. The smart ones form their own groups and tank usually. Can't really speak for the raiding aspect of the game on here though concerning rangers.

YendorLootmonkey
07-30-2011, 10:23 AM
on this server you don't have a community of raging dumbasses and teenagers that are going to shit all over you for picking a class that doesn't have any significant impact on group or raid aspects of Everquest.

LOL.... what?! Try "/ooc ranger LFG" sometime as a post-50 ranger and take note of the responses you get. I get shit on in my own guild's guildchat. Never mind the fact in a guild seb group last night the monk and tank died multiple times and the ranger, who switched off between pulling, tanking, dpsing, crowd control, and even slowing, did NOT die once. :P

orsk
07-30-2011, 10:40 AM
So is a ranger like 50% druid 50% warrior this thread is so confusing.

deneauth
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Haha yeah ranger's can do it all really just like Yendor was saying. And now rangers get a sword that proc's slow so yes they can even slow enemies in groups, as well as all the other stuff Yendor was talking about. Yendor is like the A #1 super ranger of the server too, I am not being a smart ass. Don't group with him that much but when I do, I always learn something about ranging that I didn't know before.

xshayla701
07-30-2011, 10:48 AM
So is a ranger like 50% druid 50% warrior this thread is so confusing.

hahahaa

Bubbles
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
2 most important things to note from this thread

1 . ) Rangers make great trackers/pullers in outdoor zones.

2 . ) you can't spam /ooc Ranger LFG. You need to make your own or seek out a group needing to add a 6th. Like Chris Bosh.. If you're the 4th best thing going in your group, you're golden. If you're the make-or-break it cog in the wheel, the group is in trouble. heh. -- In all seriousness, Learn to make your own groups and you'll be fine. /w all druid in your level range can lead to /tells to some bored druid who's sick of soloing.. Then you bump into a rogue on your way to a spot.. suddenly you're 3/6ths there.. Once you get like 55 though, GL. Gonna need to cash in some friendship IOUs and guild favors.

YendorLootmonkey
07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Yendor is like the A #1 super ranger of the server too, I am not being a smart ass.

No, that is Ghostfaces.

deneauth
07-30-2011, 12:13 PM
You will always be #1 in my book though :)

Edit: No homo

YendorLootmonkey
07-30-2011, 12:26 PM
You will always be #1 in my book though :)

no homo, rite?

Duie
07-30-2011, 01:11 PM
LOL.... what?! Try "/ooc ranger LFG" sometime as a post-50 ranger and take note of the responses you get. I get shit on in my own guild's guildchat. Never mind the fact in a guild seb group last night the monk and tank died multiple times and the ranger, who switched off between pulling, tanking, dpsing, crowd control, and even slowing, did NOT die once. :P

this is true..... hence i have a new guild who accually try there best to group guildies... no mater the class

Nothing against VD at all as i Wubs all of ya. That is just one of the difrences in a guild with a bunch of great indivisuals and a guild who is based on the team play aspect .

Sparkin
07-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't played in months, but isn't Predator around on this server at the moment? That's the other nice thing they can do is buff, unless the combat mechanics are so messed up it doesn't make a difference on this server.

Come velious, you have 3 buffs with some demand which no other class has analogs to in Predator, Call of Earth, and Strength of Nature. Weaponshield is superb, trueshot can be a fun toy. Add in the widest tracking range of course and that is the extent of the unique useful tools a ranger will have on this server.

Of course they can do a little of almost everything else, just not particularly well.

YendorLootmonkey
07-30-2011, 02:59 PM
this is true..... hence i have a new guild who accually try there best to group guildies... no mater the class

Nothing against VD at all as i Wubs all of ya. That is just one of the difrences in a guild with a bunch of great indivisuals and a guild who is based on the team play aspect .

LOL, in reality, it's just a few people doing the constant ribbing, almost to the point of ironic hilarity. For instance, I was aggro-kiting with two other rangers outside of KC a few weeks ago (because some XP is better than no XP) and a guildmate ran by laughing at the three rangers killing the mob with literally no downtime or risk, probably because he thought it was the great beginning for another ranger joke.

Even though he ran by us without his gear, heading for his corpse.

Really, dude?

Anyway, the reality of the class is that it becomes our job as rangers to earn the respect of others and show them what a ranger can do by playing the class to the fullest potential and not phoning it in when we're in a group (unless it's Friday and I'm drinkin -- then all bets are off!). We've got enough going against us already.

JenJen
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
that could have been me and you yendor. us against the world. BUT NO.

YendorLootmonkey
07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
that could have been me and you yendor. us against the world. BUT NO.

You're right. BUT NO. Last time I saw your character, whoever in TMO bought her had her stripped down and sucking off halflings in emotes (they had to get a DMF/lev, obv~) for plat.

JenJen
07-30-2011, 06:22 PM
so she was up to her usual tricks then. good to know, good to know ;)

Zuranthium
07-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Rangers track better than anyone. As an example, Rangers can track the PHs of Quillmane and hold down the spawn rotation which NO OTHER CLASS can do. Because there is a simply a large chance that the PH will spawn outside of the tracking range of another class, and destroy your cycle.

Bards are much better for Quillmane than Rangers. They can run around and AoE kite all of the various placeholders (there are a ton of them) while also tracking them.

When I say this isn't World of Warcraft I mean that on this server you don't have a community of raging dumbasses and teenagers that are going to shit all over you for picking a class that doesn't have any significant impact on group or raid aspects of Everquest.

Except this is false. There is significant competition for groups and guild slots based upon your class. So don't just be like "XXX class is fine" to someone who is asking, when in fact they may find the game to be rather frustrating once they get to the higher levels.