PDA

View Full Version : Druid 40+ Kunark soloing advice

contemptor
07-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Haven't played in a good while since before Kunark came out, so I'd like to solo in Kunark a while. I'm currently level 40, I'm looking for places from now until 45 or so. XP is key of course, but I'm definitely willing to take a hit if there are places to camp rare mobs and get a little xp on the side.

I'm open for the standard root/rot, AE, charm (though I only have 70cha...), whatever. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yinikren
07-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Ride OT till 45, then BW till whatever - about the easiest way to go. Can group in DL as well till 45ish. Kunark isn't really known for random loot-dropping mobs.

Charming works fine, as druid charm no longer gets a timer based on CHA.

WizardEQ
07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Haven't played in a good while since before Kunark came out, so I'd like to solo in Kunark a while. I'm currently level 40, I'm looking for places from now until 45 or so. XP is key of course, but I'm definitely willing to take a hit if there are places to camp rare mobs and get a little xp on the side.

I'm open for the standard root/rot, AE, charm (though I only have 70cha...), whatever. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since 36, I've been around the SF ZL either in that group there or else doing a quad.

Druids are there also doing the same thing, albeit in a different fashion. Why don't you quad?

contemptor
07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Ride OT till 45, then BW till whatever - about the easiest way to go. Can group in DL as well till 45ish. Kunark isn't really known for random loot-dropping mobs.

Charming works fine, as druid charm no longer gets a timer based on CHA.
Any suggestions on where to charm fight? OT?

Do the mobs have low enough HP in OT to quad? I thought that was more of a mid 30s zone than 40+. Just going off memory of course, since I haven't played there in forever.

contemptor
07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Since 36, I've been around the SF ZL either in that group there or else doing a quad.

Druids are there also doing the same thing, albeit in a different fashion. Why don't you quad?
I'm definitely open to that. Before I quit playing I was quadding dwarfs in BB. So quadding is decent XP in SF at 40? What type of mobs should I try and quad?

Happyfeet
07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I've got a 60 druid and quading is definitely the fastest way to level. Dorfs in BB are great as stated above, birds/cacti in OT, the static drolvargs outside KC are good til 57ish (ragers have way too many hp for you in your 40's, but do birds or gnashers). There's so many spots to quad I can't even name them all, /t happyfeets in game if you need help.

contemptor
07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
On another note, I see root and snare don't stack anymore... that seems to pretty much advocate me to try charming or quadding for sure. Does anyone offhand know when they began to stack in live?

contemptor
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I've got a 60 druid and quading is definitely the fastest way to level. Dorfs in BB are great as stated above, birds/cacti in OT, the static drolvargs outside KC are good til 57ish (ragers have way too many hp for you in your 40's, but do birds or gnashers). There's so many spots to quad I can't even name them all, /t happyfeets in game if you need help.
So quadding in OT is probably the best then for me at level 40? I think I will head there and try soon.

Handull
07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I quadded in FV along the cliff, in that dvolrog outpost to the east(just the entrance is drawn on the EQAtlas map), and the three giants just north of that from 44-46. I could have easily gone there at an earlier level, might be able to push to 47 there but not too many dark blues at 46. If you stay in the tree area I mentioned there shouldn't really be any casters there. Along the cliffs sometimes the pilgrims will KS you, but its not too often the farther east you go. There are guards at FV that can help you if you get too many mobs on you.

With ~200wis I could quad snarlers with ~20% mana left over. The giants have a little more HP and there are only three, so tossing in a snarler can mess things up when the snarler runs away. Growlers are a little lower in level than the snarlers, but should be good exp for you if you can quad them now.

Inside that little dvolrog 'city' is nice because you can pull to the side and get zero random adds and have a very controled environment with a lot of mobs. The only problem with that area is that eventually all the mobs in there will be lower level mobs (since they dont recycle themselves by fighting pilgrims in there) and you will have to move out, but this might not be a problem at 40. Some dvolrogs will see through camo, so if you want to go down the entrance way, just con each one as you go. You can always bind near some guards and gate if you get in trouble, wait for the train to come to you, and play tag with the guards and mobs.

I found the exp really nice there, especially at 45, if you focused on dark blue mobs only. Good luck.

wrxBRAH
07-30-2011, 06:25 PM
How much wisdom did you guys have for those of you druids that leveled quadding?

Estu
07-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I've heard talk that charming is faster exp than quadding since you use very little mana to get two kills.

aresprophet
07-31-2011, 12:10 AM
I've heard talk that charming is faster exp than quadding since you use very little mana to get two kills.

This depends on a number of factors:

1) Duration of charm. If you only need to cast charm once to get two kills, charming is very efficient. But if additional charms are required you're sacrificing efficiency, and at some point it becomes less efficient than quadding.

2) Toughness of mobs. Low HP mobs are ideal quadding fodder, while high HP mobs are better suited to charming. Areas with high variability in mob level (TD raptor isle has this problem) can impede charming: if you're stuck charming a mob that's too high level to hold charm for a long duration you're out of luck.

3) Mob type. Finding areas where you can be guaranteed an animal mob of equivalent toughness to another mob is difficult. TD raptors are suited to both approaches, Western Wastes isn't out yet, and open areas like OT, EJ, TT, and BW have their own challenges when it comes to charming.

4) Playstyle. Charming is attention-intensive and provides practically zero downtime if you're trying to make it more efficient than quadding. Quadding allows you an 8-10 minute break after the conclusion of a quad. There's always an element of risk to charming because a bad string of resists can leave you oom, while once mastered quadding is practically risk-free (barring untimely lag spikes)

5) Luck. Get two charms in a row that don't last more than 2 ticks and it's frustrating as hell. Get a resist and its even worse.

I have used both approaches exnteisvely and overall prefer quadding because it allows time to go AFK between quads. Charming is viable in some unique places, but for exp efficiency and ease of use quadding is the way to go. You can be far less selective, you're subject to fewer risks and less dependent on luck, and can take a break in between kites.

contemptor
07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
When I used to play a druid in PoP, charming was by far the best solo method. I haven't attempted it yet in classic. I'm definitely open to trying it if I find a good place. I think I will do some quadding first though.

Dubbo
08-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Apart from OT where can a 32 Druid go to charm or root/rot and still make enough coin for spells.
Looking for a progression of spots from 32 up as high as 60.

Kassel
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Gnome Guards Hav and Mal are great 35-48. I did SK @ paw till 35