PDA

View Full Version : Oh God... Everquest is about to bite my adult life

nategrc
08-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Ok. So I played everquest from launch to luclin, came back and forth a few times. I was probably in 5th or 6th grade, and then until I graduated highschool. I was there in the beginning, whenever that was... killing wood elves in ocean of tears for belts that sold for 2 gold ... lol. getting massacred in befallen ( and getting my corpse stuck )... oh the good days=-).

However many years later, and into my professional career... ( even though I don't often play games ) I constantly check mmorpg news sites, and everquest 2 forums ( I hated that game ). As socially inept as I was through my younger years, honestly, everquest includes most of my fond memories growing up. There I said it.... ahh!

So I found this website, and I'm biting my fingernails over what to do. I have some questions, and I'm hoping to not receive a response similar to what I see on WoW forums. (Yes... I still read those too, five years later )

1) Is the community there? If I started a character would there actually be anyone my level to group with?
2) Is there a difference population-wise between evil / good
3) Economy status--- inflation? I just saw something on this site selling something for thousands of pp, that used to sell in game for 1 or 2 at most. Is it unrealistic to expect to be able to purchase anything until the higher levels when PP becomes more available?
4) Community relations-- how does the community generally interact with eachother? Is it the great online friendships I remember from my EQ days, or is it more similar to today's MMORPG communities?
5) Guilds-- how accessible are guilds ?

So... I guess my questions mostly revolve around how easy start ups are here, how big the populations, and the chances of someone actually integrating into the community. I apologize if these may be addressed elsewhere, but from quick scanning I wasn't able to find the answers. If there is a resource available that you may point me to, or answer my questions. I would greatly appreciate it.

Haul
08-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Servers pretty dang good, I'd suggest starting with a pure caster though since they aren't as reliable on gear to be good. I'd think of more to say, but got work early in the morning. All the best man-

Cribanox
08-02-2011, 01:29 AM
1. Yes. yes. and yes!
2. Doesnt really matter in EQ, but none that I can tell.
3. Plaitnum is less valuable on this server, only because so many people have caster mains who sit and farm plat for hours and hours. So, tons of people have tons of plat to burn on new twink melee characters. Its easy to get plat later on it just takes time, so its never impossible to come across gear by any means.
4. More or less. Raiding scene here can get dramatic quickly.
5. Same as ever, getting into a guild is easy.

Motec
08-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I started here in mid May. I'm level 59.8 now and have a few hundred thousand plat of wealth. From day dot the community has been brilliant, with only a few negative encounters. Orc groups through to dungeon crawls etc were always available and at the very least even on off hours (australian) I was easily able to find a duo partner etc.

My first two real interactions with the generosity of the people was a cleric giving me about 5 or 10 plat in kithicor at level 2 or 3, and then obliteratore giving me a platnium dragon totem when I was about level 20 in sol b. Since then I reckon I give away an average of 2-5k plat worth of shit a day and have helped many a new player like I was, and helped those along the way that I've considerably out levelled. So that sort of community is what we have and its excellent, its only the few elitist bad apples you encounter.

One thing to note though is that most of the people that play here were 'somebodys' in the past, so dick pulling contests never end well for most. The majority of those 50+ can have a stick up their arse at times, but if you play well and are competent, honest and fair, this place has a lot to offer and a lot of quality people to interact with.

There is also a vast playerbase who are trying new classes from live etc, so this place is massivly short on wizzards and warriors. Enchanters and clerics are a dime a dozen here. Which means half the rogues on a server dont know how to make an evade macro, most of the monks dont know a thing about pulling at all, the warriors mash taunt, the shamans buff dex and agility all day long, etc etc. So the experience is in some ways very classic in that regard, as most people are just trying something new so many years on.

Give it a shot, join a guild to make some friends, dont let the game control you, and you'll have a blast.

Motec

johnny ringo
08-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Motec: a true rag to riches story

1 to 60 in 2 months, game don't control him

in theaters this fall.

Motec
08-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Who can play me? Papa smurf?

Uthgaard
08-02-2011, 05:11 AM
The setup is the hardest thing about p99. Being on the legit-ish end of piracy, it's not your standard install.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

Follow the instructions carefully and completely.

purist
08-02-2011, 06:57 AM
the shamans buff dex and agility all day long, etc etc.

Putting Deftness on the main tank gives at 40-50 or more AC, costs a whole 80 mana and lasts for 54 minutes.

WHOA.. TOTALLY USELESS WASTE OF MANA THAT YOU HAVE TO RECAST ALL DAY LONG GREAT POINT

nategrc
08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
just what I needed to hear =-).

I've heard banter about blue sever verse red server-- whats the diff?

Zereh
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Red doesn't really exist so there are some angsty PvPers looking for a home.

Motec
08-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Putting Deftness on the main tank gives at 40-50 or more AC, costs a whole 80 mana and lasts for 54 minutes.

WHOA.. TOTALLY USELESS WASTE OF MANA THAT YOU HAVE TO RECAST ALL DAY LONG GREAT POINT

Hi, this AC is not raw AC. Please at the very least learn a small amount about the game you play.

AC is half shit here on p1999.

Raavak
08-02-2011, 09:24 AM
just what I needed to hear =-).

I've heard banter about blue sever verse red server-- whats the diff?
It refers to the color of the player names. Non-pvp is blue, pvp is red. Red server doesn't exist.

Dannermax
08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Welcome back Nate. Get ready to divorce your family, because this is as addicting as it was back then.

Extunarian
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi, this AC is not raw AC. Please at the very least learn a small amount about the game you play.

AC is half shit here on p1999.

I hate to derail, but I have to disagree. Ask a tank: would you like an item that gives you a +50 agi boost, and doesn't use up an inventory slot? Not only do you get the AC boost, but whether or not you get hit is a function of level difference and agility.

Also, talk to any warrior about whether or not they want that dex buff on them when it gives them an extra .5 procs/min on average.

Am I missing something here? What are the benefits of *not* keeping those buffs on your tank?

Motec
08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Its not raw AC. Get it through your head. Its shit. AC is not AC brah. You can have all the agility in the world and it isnt worth a pinch of shit compared to a raw AC boost (AC item, AC spell).

Dex, yep great. In that exact example you describe. Fantastic, for the 80% of other times when its useless? How convenient you point out one of the absolute few times you'd ever bother.

Another forum troll shaman who doesnt slow themself to OT hammer.

Motec
08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
And thats completely ignoring the fact AC on p1999 has such a tiny effect compared to live. You could AC whore on live and be ridiculously OP. Here it's just 'meh'.

purist
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
desperate backpeddling and obfuscating after making a retarded statement in which I was called out for having 0 clue what the hell I was talking about

Alex
08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I started here in mid May. I'm level 59.8 now and have a few hundred thousand plat of wealth. From day dot the community has been brilliant, with only a few negative encounters. Orc groups through to dungeon crawls etc were always available and at the very least even on off hours (australian) I was easily able to find a duo partner etc.

My first two real interactions with the generosity of the people was a cleric giving me about 5 or 10 plat in kithicor at level 2 or 3, and then obliteratore giving me a platnium dragon totem when I was about level 20 in sol b. Since then I reckon I give away an average of 2-5k plat worth of shit a day and have helped many a new player like I was, and helped those along the way that I've considerably out levelled. So that sort of community is what we have and its excellent, its only the few elitist bad apples you encounter.

One thing to note though is that most of the people that play here were 'somebodys' in the past, so dick pulling contests never end well for most. The majority of those 50+ can have a stick up their arse at times, but if you play well and are competent, honest and fair, this place has a lot to offer and a lot of quality people to interact with.

There is also a vast playerbase who are trying new classes from live etc, so this place is massivly short on wizzards and warriors. Enchanters and clerics are a dime a dozen here. Which means half the rogues on a server dont know how to make an evade macro, most of the monks dont know a thing about pulling at all, the warriors mash taunt, the shamans buff dex and agility all day long, etc etc. So the experience is in some ways very classic in that regard, as most people are just trying something new so many years on.

Give it a shot, join a guild to make some friends, dont let the game control you, and you'll have a blast.

Motec

You started in May and already have a 60 /w hundreds of thousands of plat? Kinda scary

guineapig
08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
The setup is the hardest thing about p99. Being on the legit-ish end of piracy, it's not your standard install.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

Follow the instructions carefully and completely.

And welcome to Project 1999.

Tewaz
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
The Red vs. Blue argument in here is like the love child of the Red Vs. Blue Halo show and the Deficit Reduction Debate in Congress.

Welcome, pick a side.

Extunarian
08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Its not raw AC. Get it through your head. Its shit. AC is not AC brah. You can have all the agility in the world and it isnt worth a pinch of shit compared to a raw AC boost (AC item, AC spell).

Dex, yep great. In that exact example you describe. Fantastic, for the 80% of other times when its useless? How convenient you point out one of the absolute few times you'd ever bother.

Another forum troll shaman who doesnt slow themself to OT hammer.

Ok, at first I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm pretty sure you are related to Zaranthium. 50 agi is useless. Dex is useless except for when it isn't but it's not fair to use examples where it is useful. :confused:

Also..slow yourself to OT hammer? Why? You'll proc in less swings for sure, but procs over time stay the same. I guess maybe if you were dualing someone you wouldn't damage them as much?

Am I being trolled here or are you just a stunning combination of uninformed and confident?

Werlop
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Also..slow yourself to OT hammer? Why? You'll proc in less swings for sure, but procs over time stay the same. I guess maybe if you were dualing someone you wouldn't damage them as much?

I guess you would have a higher chance of proccing on the first swing?

Motec
08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Jorg, please explain to me in your own words the following, as you're so adamant that you're an EQ god (yet I can see you're just a benchwarmer):

1) The difference between raw ac and agility increased AC.
2) The exact DPS increase of someone with a 120 damage proc, based on a 50 dexterity increase, on p1999.
3) The increase in proc per swing percentage, and the actual proc per swing percentage from being 70% slowed with a 50 delay weapon with normalised weapon proc rates on p1999 with 125 dexterity.

This is straight numbers, nothing fancy, no chinese whispers and bullshit. There is no magical 'but im buffing and it makes a huge difference', theyre flat out just shit stats.

Now I for one can not give you exacting answers for quesiton 1 and I wont tell anyone otherwise. It's been 9+ years since I was caught so deep in this game I would of cared enough to go chasing a formula, & without hunting through 5 years of posts for someone elses work from TSW I cant. But the combination of AC being massivly borked on this server, and the fact that agility based AC has always only been about 5% of the raw AC in mitigating value, says to me its a waste of a buff slot.

Gileren
08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
rofl

Motec
08-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I guess you would have a higher chance of proccing on the first swing?

Boo yaaah, ever in trouble without gate up? slow self and insta gate, boooyaaaaaaah. I've midnight malleted motec out of all sorts of f*cked up places in a clutch.

purist
08-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Yep, Motec is definitely Zaranthium's new character. I can just see him yelling red-faced at his monitor 'till that Y-shaped vein on his forehead is about to burst, raging over the Shaman who "wasted" a whole 80 mana (oh my GOD! NOT 80 MANA!) casting an Agility buff that gave the group main tank 50 AC and lasts 1 hour long. While Motec approaches cardiac arrest lecturing over the Shaman being a horrible player for wasting 80 mana, the Shaman meditated back 160 mana.

Motec
08-03-2011, 01:12 AM
For real thats me, how are you so wise brah

SearyxTZ
08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
I am ready to get into a heated internet argument about AC in Everquest. I brought a crowbar and a baseball bat.

Come at me.

Let's also get into it over Star Trek, and My Little Pony.

Lavahorn
08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Nothing like a good old hi-jacked thread.

EQ is fun but be warned the corpse runs are not.

Messianic
08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Hilarious how a "hello" thread becomes a really crappy nerd argument with a bunch of insults and name calling.

Extunarian
08-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Hilarious how a "hello" thread becomes a really crappy nerd argument with a bunch of insults and name calling.

My bad, I was legitimately asking if there were merits to holding off on those buffs. A lot of oddball theories and misinformation come out of the playerbase over the last 11 years, and it is still very possible to find out a mechanic operates a little differently than how you originally thought, especially on an emulator.

I didn't expect him to fly off the handle and probably shouldn't have posted my 2nd reply once I saw how foaming at the mouth he was about this stuff. He can have his opinion and I'll keep mine.

Intellect
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Motec is right....js

Xaleban
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
OP... You will love the p99 experience. I wasnt sure if i would but now that i am here i am probably just as addicted as before. Its a strong thriving community that is getting more and more competitive each day. Come join the fun bro.

Oh and Motec is dead on with his argument. AC just isnt what people think. Trying to make people understand that is like trying to make a dog stop chasing a cat. It just aint gonna happen. Maybe a dev could explain this in detail at some point. But for now just let it sink in. AC is crap on p99

Motec
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
The shit thing is that nerds will argue until blue in the face and not listen to fact, reasoning, or even entertain someone else judgement based on merit and go test it themselves.

Its like the 20 people a day I run into who dont have a f*cking clue what their haste cap is, the amount of enchanters who dont even know what some of their spells do, the amount of dudes arguing about stacking haste, bla bla bla.

To the OP, like I said, you can have an awesome experience, just dont let the game control you.

Messianic
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
My bad, I was legitimately asking if there were merits to holding off on those buffs. A lot of oddball theories and misinformation come out of the playerbase over the last 11 years, and it is still very possible to find out a mechanic operates a little differently than how you originally thought, especially on an emulator.

I didn't expect him to fly off the handle and probably shouldn't have posted my 2nd reply once I saw how foaming at the mouth he was about this stuff. He can have his opinion and I'll keep mine.

I didn't think you were that bad...I think Purist, as usual, was more rude than useful, and that set the guy on the defensive.

That and maybe the guy is a jerk, dunno. You can talk fact and reason without patronizing or insulting people.

Striiker
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
So Original Poster, as you can see. All that once was the Everquest that you knew... Continues to exist here. The good, the bad, the nerdly.

Welcome to the server!

purist
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
HE CAST A AGILITY BUFF ON THE TANK KICK HIM OUT OF THE GROUP FOR BEING A HORRIBLE SHAMAN AC IS BROKEN HOW DO U NOT KNOW THIS

SearyxTZ
08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
regarding nerdy AC argument: has anyone parsed it?

Wouldn't take much time to do. I would like to know too, so one of you geeks get on that. ;)

Anger
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
So Original Poster, as you can see. All that once was the Everquest that you knew... Continues to exist here. The good, the bad, the nerdly.

Welcome to the server!

Agreed! Hope you enjoy the classic feel ;)

Motec
08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
HE CAST A AGILITY BUFF ON THE TANK KICK HIM OUT OF THE GROUP FOR BEING A HORRIBLE SHAMAN AC IS BROKEN HOW DO U NOT KNOW THIS

Shit no, its the perfect dispel bait.

toddfx
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
However many years later, and into my professional career...

So I found this website, and I'm biting my fingernails over what to do.

Do not follow the light! Don't do it! Turn away! It's too bright!

Ok seriously, the most important question you forgot to ask: Is it as addictive as it was in 8th grade? And the answer to that question is: YES.

I guess in your case you never really got over the addiction, but beware that you WILL get 100% sucked back in! When I found this place in mid 2010, it once again consumed my life for the first 4 months or so. My social life fell apart, my girlfriend became highly annoyed with me, and my sleep suffered severely. After a while I sort of fell off the EQ wagon for a bit, and my playing habits came and went.

Recently though I can tell I am getting pulled back in again... I know i'm obsessed when researching Everquest lore begins to take over my productivity at work...

Regardless, I have had a BLAST on P99. Every bit of the nostalgia I recall from way back when has been relived here.