PDA

View Full Version : New to the Project99

elementalking
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Hail!

I never thought after all of these years I would be posting yet again in a EQ forum, but here I am!

I am thinking of making my first character a mage seeing as that was my first character day 1 so many years ago. Not sure if I will make a HE or Erudite as of yet.

Any suggestions, or tips for a newbie to the project? I see I possibly want to focus more on STR to start since the gear will be harder to make up for it later.

Glad to be back, and hope to see you all around the lands!

EK

nilbog
08-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Welcome.

I would suggest against strength. In the beginning, strength is useful to carry various objects to vendor. Later, however, you may obtain 100% weight reduction bags. Being a caster, your armor will be naturally lighter and the majority of weight will be your currency or bags themselves.

My opinion: make sure AGI is 75, then put points into INT/STA.

Extunarian
08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
^ Not gonna disagree with that guy

Also, I'd suggest high elf since you're starting area will be chalk full of other newbies.

Atmas
08-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I would go Int/Str. Staminia is nice but unfortunately you will never see much of a gain from it. Int to have more mana and Str to carry a little more before having to run to the bank.

By the time you are actually at the Int soft cap you can get other items to raise other stats.

Striiker
08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
No need to put into strength. You're rolling a mage and you can summon 100% weight reducing bags eventually (no rent though so don't forget to empty them out before logging or you lose your items). I would agree about adding Int. and stamina. Many people suggest stamina as Int. is pretty easy to increase with items by the time it really matters whereas stamina items can be difficult to come by and more Hp on you means a better chance to survive long enough to get a heal on you or survive a mob which you may be fighting solo. If you go with an Erudite, you're already starting with some great intelligence.

Messianic
08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I can't imagine not being an erudite who maxes int and puts the remaining points into agi to meet the 75 agi cap.

I love the facial graphic of the guy with the two red dots under one eye. Looks pretty boss.

deneauth
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
If you do decide to go with an erudite, blackburrow is right across Erud's crossing and gnoll fangs are in my opinion the best quest turn in because they are stackable up to 20. Turning them into the warrior guild in Halas will give you great exp and items that can be sold for gold. The warrior guild in Queynos is another option but you will receive less money for a reward.

Messianic
08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
If you do decide to go with an erudite, blackburrow is right across Erud's crossing and gnoll fangs are in my opinion the best quest turn in because they are stackable up to 20

and give sizeable exp through low teens ;)

Also really good money and no worry about corrupt qeynos guard faction if you turn them in at Halas...

Fourthmeal
08-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Hail and well met

Slave
08-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Also no need to put anything into AGI. You are one of the unlikeliest classes in the game to draw aggro or take melee damage. Stamina is probably your best bet, or even Intelligence, to go against the insane min/maxing torrent of ass that is P99.

Bubbles
08-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Put 5 in STR, 25 in INT. Since the level cap never jumps past 60 (and HPs per pt in STA is like maybe 3:1 at the top end), its better to just hit 200 INT quickly and free up slots for +mana (or even +resists or +hp) gear.

And pre-30 Fire Platinum Wedding Rings (5ac/55 hp) are going to be the best possible thing you could spend money on byfar.

k1n0
08-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I Suggest looking into one of the well known guilds of the server to get you goin and help out a tad here and there, theres plenty of small guilds full of newbs and lowbies to go with

Fourthmeal
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Peace Pipe is teh guild for you