PDA

View Full Version : A casual return to the cess pool

GFAD
08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I've given thought to returning to P99 to fill the void of some newly acquired free time, and a couple of friends are interested as well. I left previously as I may have been more inundated with the forums, and felt it more then likely was a reflection of the community itself from the attitude of a lot of players I interacted with in game.

I've been reading through the forums again, weighing my options and seeing if it's even worth re-installing. I have noticed some posts going against the grain when it comes to the negative element that appears to exist in the population, including that of Rogean making it possible to filter out Rants and Flames if one decides to. (Fantastic Idea btw). But some questions still linger:

1) Is rants and flames still the marker of what the majority stands for, what attitudes are acceptable, and what to expect in game?
2) Is casual play even viable? Or is poopsocking the law of the land?

I'm not knocking on poop sockers, if people are willing to go to that extent, I say more power to them, that is their decision. But it would appear that the P99 population is stagnant, and will never change (except rise dramatically and taper off or dwindle down to nothing like the rest of the emulators). Mainly because everyone knows what to expect from the server and most people played this game during live and know what to do, and live a lifestyle that allows them to drop everything their doing to log in and raid.

I just don't understand why some 'hardcore' guilds don't explore the option of running their own private server if they rather live in a bubble.

Eternal-Elf
08-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I've given thought to returning to P99 to fill the void of some newly acquired free time, and a couple of friends are interested as well. I left previously as I may have been more inundated with the forums, and felt it more then likely was a reflection of the community itself from the attitude of a lot of players I interacted with in game.

I've been reading through the forums again, weighing my options and seeing if it's even worth re-installing. I have noticed some posts going against the grain when it comes to the negative element that appears to exist in the population, including that of Rogean making it possible to filter out Rants and Flames if one decides to. (Fantastic Idea btw). But some questions still linger:

1) Is rants and flames still the marker of what the majority stands for, what attitudes are acceptable, and what to expect in game?

I'm not knocking on poop sockers, if people are willing to go to that extent, I say more power to them, that is their decision. But it would appear that the P99 population is stagnant, and will never change (except rise dramatically and taper off or dwindle down to nothing like the rest of the emulators). Mainly because everyone knows what to expect from the server and most people played this game during live and know what to do, and live a lifestyle that allows them to drop everything their doing to log in and raid.

I just don't understand why some 'hardcore' guilds don't explore the option of running their own private server if they rather live in a bubble.

It's simple man. If they lived in their own bubble they couldn't "brag" to others of their infinite conquests. It gives them something to show for 12 hours a day online.

Ektar
08-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't understand what people are bothered by RnF. opt out of rants and flames? are you serious? Just don't read the forum if you don't want to - I can't believe people have so little willpower and are so easily influenced by anything that they have to "opt out" of rants and flames.

That being said, in what world did you live that rants and flames is "the marker of what the majority stands for?" RnF is the arena of the top 2 guilds' to have a pissing match and few select others that either hate them, or for whatever reason, get jollies off trolling. When I play and am not raiding, the game has nothing to do with the shit in rnf. I even group and play around with people from tmo.

Poopsocking has nothing to do with casual players. The casual players who make it about them are just looking to be part of the drama. The most you might get affected by it is trashtalk in ooc. Otherwise, they are VERY disinterested in anything you are interested in.

And ya, I prefer to fight toddlers because I'd most likely win every time.

Vendar
08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
heres the glorious thing about EQ. it is what you make it. if u wanna poopsock, you can. if you dont wanna poopsock, you dont have too. if u wanna solo, you can. if you wanna group and meet friends, you can.

but... if all u want is everyone on the server to play the way you feel the game should be played, then maybe YOU should the explore the option of running a private server.

visage
08-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I don't understand what people are bothered by RnF. opt out of rants and flames? are you serious? Just don't read the forum if you don't want to - I can't believe people have so little willpower and are so easily influenced by anything that they have to "opt out" of rants and flames.

That being said, in what world did you live that rants and flames is "the marker of what the majority stands for?" RnF is the arena of the top 2 guilds' to have a pissing match and few select others that either hate them, or for whatever reason, get jollies off trolling. When I play and am not raiding, the game has nothing to do with the shit in rnf. I even group and play around with people from tmo.

Poopsocking has nothing to do with casual players. The casual players who make it about them are just looking to be part of the drama. The most you might get affected by it is trashtalk in ooc. Otherwise, they are VERY disinterested in anything you are interested in.

Child beater!

Sweet
08-06-2011, 12:04 PM

:D

Those lil arms and legs never stood a chance.

Ektar
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for highlighting that for me. Your overly additive contribution is perfectly illustrative of just how little you understood what that meant.

deneauth
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
It's been a heated week GFAD. If you play the game you won't meet a majority of the people posting on the forums. Heck I have been playing since March of last year and I haven't met a lot of them. If you want to play then play, there are pleanty of nice people on the server still.

visage
08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for highlighting that for me. Your overly additive contribution is perfectly illustrative of just how little you understood what that meant.

I was being the example of the troll. Don't get all emo on me Ektar. We have had good times

Ektar
08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I had just gotten through catching up on the rl pic thread and got caught up in the visage hate.

I'm so easily influenced by things oh em gee!

visage
08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I had just gotten through catching up on the rl pic thread and got caught up in the visage hate.

I'm so easily influenced by things oh em gee!

It's ok thats what I am here for. Take your anger out on me , but you can't hurt me. I am already dead.

Tiggles
08-06-2011, 12:46 PM
most people you meet in RnF are totally different in game

I can't be bothered to sell shit that i get in groups so I hand it out to newbies and Slathar was PLing people in fob the other day Autotune as well.

Everquest is a BORING game and posting in RnF makes it more fun.

I doubt most people in RnF are truly serious and the ones that are well..they are easy to spot.

Bardalicious
08-06-2011, 12:49 PM
1 post count. My troll sense is tingling.

Estu
08-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Pissy and/or mean people on the forums in no way account for the majority of the playerbase. The majority of the playerbase is casual, laid-back, and friendly. That's pretty much all there is to say on the topic.

Ektar
08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
oh lul, let me say something and see how many people believe me.

HOW FUN

I just don't get it :p

GFAD
08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been away from P99 for awhile, but the general idea when I was playing was: This server stops at Velious.

This server doesn't move at the pace of the SoE progression servers, and if the Velious benchmark is still true, then P99 is sort of like a console game in that when the end is reached, you can fiddle around for a bit and then move on to something else, or restart the game. I don't know if minds are being changed about this, and don't claim to know what is in the works nor do I expect shit to go the way I want it to.

With the above information in mind, one could say the there is inevitably an 'end' to P99. While even MMO's currently running will at some point eventually come to an end, one can not definitely say when that will happen, they will just spin into mediocrity until people stop playing. I'd venture a guess and say there are people who work pretty hard to make this project happen, I doubt money is being made from it, but it seems to of been successful.

In live, a casual player could just fiddle around, do his or her thing and wait. New expansions would come, guilds and poop sockers moved on, gear got better, levels increased and everyone else who wasn't 'top tier' could get a crack at raids / content that was being farmed exclusively.

The problem I see is, all casual players aren't the same. Someone might be content with logging in and farming Guk forever. But casual players with the ambitions of seeing every aspect in the game might be marginalized. I'm not saying it's unfair. I'm simply saying that while the Hardcore element might not be the majority, it would seem that if one wanted to experience a certain element of the game they would have to be willing to commit, or just not waste their time. I'd also go out on a limb and say developers have moved to exclusively instanced content in games for many of the same reasons.

*EDIT*
I'd like to also apologize, looking at the title of my post again, and how social cues aren't available via internet discussion, didn't mean for this to take on an ominous tone, it was pessimism on my part.

Vendar
08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
heres the glorious thing about EQ. it is what you make it. if u wanna poopsock, you can. if you dont wanna poopsock, you dont have too. if u wanna solo, you can. if you wanna group and meet friends, you can.

but... if all u want is everyone on the server to play the way you feel the game should be played, then maybe YOU should the explore the option of running a private server.

Maybe im wrong but to me it sounds like your complaining that this classic eq server is too classic. If u just wanna see end game mobs, post velious content, and instanced zones, then with all due respect, maybe you're playing on the wrong server, or possibly even the wrong game. I played wow for 5 minutes, punched myself in the face for making the mistake, and never looked back. But you know how it goes, to each their own. Goodluck finding what u are looking for.

GFAD
08-06-2011, 03:04 PM

It's not my place to tell other people how to play, nor would I want to bend them to my will. I'm seeking opinions to make a decision. The point in my previous post sums it up well:

I've got to put in work / effort the same with anyone else, whats the time in queue / possibility to even see it or get that far with the limited space available and the fact that it's not going to swell to the massive content most games have. The game isn't too classic, it's just limited space and more than likely why the servers population has always stayed stable on the long term players. I've seen conversations pop up in other games, so I'd have to think there have been a great deal of people who have come to try it for many reasons. The same happened on the live time locked servers. It could just be that its not a good fit for me, it's all I'm seeking to find out. I think I've already found my answer.

Knuckle
08-06-2011, 03:20 PM

tl;dr

girl left him and now hes playing eq to try to hide the growing emptiness inside.

The server is booming, rogeans recent red99 trolls has brought added attention to the pvp server chat forum, and there's quite a bit of hub ub over TMO dominating the raiding scene recently.

PurelyElf
08-06-2011, 07:40 PM
wait for pvp imo

Knuckle
08-06-2011, 08:25 PM
wait for pvp imo

kaee - kaie from tzt?