PDA

View Full Version : Bard CHA vs DEX for missed notes

andvarion
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I can't seem to find any concrete information on how CHA compares to DEX solely for missed notes. What's the difference?

Does one give better returns than the other? Or are they the same and the game merely takes the higher of the two to factor missed notes?

Koota
08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I always thought it was a DEX/Levels thing. Purely suspicion though.

Uthgaard
08-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Once the next update is in, both stats will provide a fairly significant benefit to bards who are at the minimum fizzle chance that skill checks alone can provide. A bard who twists often and relies heavily on changing songs to function will most likely find those stats worth the investment. A bard that autoattacks with a single song playing most of the time will do better investing in other stats.

Assuming both have all skills at max: A bard with 255 dex & cha will have the same chance to fizzle on any song from any instrument, as an int or wis caster with 255 int or wis would when casting a spell from their primary specialization.

SupaflyIRL
08-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Once the next update is in, both stats will provide a fairly significant benefit to bards who are at the minimum fizzle chance that skill checks alone can provide. A bard who twists often and relies heavily on changing songs to function will most likely find those stats worth the investment. A bard that autoattacks with a single song playing most of the time will do better investing in other stats.

Assuming both have all skills at max: A bard with 255 dex & cha will have the same chance to fizzle on any song from any instrument, as an int or wis caster with 255 int or wis would when casting a spell from their primary specialization.

Combination of dex and cha or the highest of the two?

Lazortag
08-11-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the higher of the two (based on a previous post). At lower levels it's better to invest in Cha for exp groups where you might have to lull things and not get crit resists, At 60 it's better to invest in dex for situations where Melodious Truncheon is useful (once it gets fixed).

Uthgaard
08-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Combination of the two.

Lazortag
08-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Combination of the two.

So this was incorrect?:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=326941&postcount=6

Fizzle rate should be capped at a maximum of 95% failure and a minimum of 5% failure. Specialize and the higher of bard dex/cha are the only things that come after the calculation to reduce the rate below 5% failure.

Uthgaard
08-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Not necessarily. I don't really have anything saying it was one way or the other. Just that the two stats play a role in fizzle checks. No one is even sure how. I wrote it in the way that seems the most appropriate, with the least waste statwise, and with a constant benefit all the way up to max.

Ektar
08-11-2011, 01:34 AM
stats affect fizzle rates? shows how much I know~

I fizzle a lot I should get wis gear

Werlop
08-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Not necessarily. I don't really have anything saying it was one way or the other. Just that the two stats play a role in fizzle checks. No one is even sure how. I wrote it in the way that seems the most appropriate, with the least waste statwise, and with a constant benefit all the way up to max.

Does this mean that there is no softcap for this effect?

Slave
08-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Maybe adding in the attribute-based check for fizzles on top of the skill-based check that I've always thought was the sole determiner of fizzles is what accounts for the seeming excess of fizzles that is occuring. Fizzles.

Uthgaard
08-11-2011, 04:35 AM
No. That's why I said after the next update. What's running right now is the old code.

BrandeX
08-11-2011, 04:50 AM
2007: Several years ago, player on live comments that the fizzle rate is 5%. Maddoc steps in and says no its 2.7% (all Maddoc posts have since been deleted from EQ forums, but reference is still listed here: http://www.gamestreet.net/games/everquest/news/38425/to-fizzle-or-not-to-fizzle )

2011: Fizzle rate patch changes to less than 0.5%
(referring to EQ live pre-patch)
My typical parse for this kind of thing is 100,000+ spell casts; this is usually a full month or more for me. However, even small parses always showed a pretty solid 2% rate, and the giant parses just moved the decimal point to the right a few places regarding accuracy.
http://www.necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=11696

Was the fizzle rate always 2.7% between launch and 2007? I didn't notice any info to say it ever changed prior to 2011 in my brief check about that. Also, my (albeit brief) research seems to indicate that fizzling is a skill check against your casting skill, and any stats affecting it are urban legend (similar to the -cha improves fear, etc.)

andvarion
08-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me (and apparently a few others), Uthgaard!

Maben
08-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Uthgaard is this now in effect? I seemed to be missing less notes last night after the patch but maybe that was just me not paying attention :D

wc4482
08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Whats your Dex/Cha? I seem to be missing more notes, but I"m only at like 130/140