PDA

View Full Version : Sullon Zek: Lessons from a true PvP server

Humerox
08-11-2011, 03:45 AM
VERY LONG. (http://forums.subcreation.net/index.php?topic=3130.0)

Has some very interesting points about FFA, and some of the follow-up posts hash out the dynamics. Good read imo, and validates my support for an SZ style box.

Lazortag
08-11-2011, 04:04 AM
While SZ sounded fun as hell, I still don't see how anyone can justify having no level range for pvp. Especially on eqemu pvp servers where reputation just doesn't matter and no one will punish players who farm low level players for yellow text.

AffEcT
08-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Good read

Humerox
08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
While SZ sounded fun as hell, I still don't see how anyone can justify having no level range for pvp. Especially on eqemu pvp servers where reputation just doesn't matter and no one will punish players who farm low level players for yellow text.

Reputation really didn't matter on SZ, either. There were the dedicated griefers, but you learned who they were. There were no punishments for griefing, corpse-camping, or anything else. The team aspect and the brutal PvP were the incentives for grouping, and it worked.

Griefers were looked down upon by everybody...because popping level 1's in GFay was easy. Peer pressure kept most of the big boys in line...and the dedicated griefers, well...they only fed on tears and moved on when you didn't give them any. (Besides...they were the ones that really couldn't hack real PvP). I remember one killing me more than 10 times in DC on my way to Unrest, and he finally asked me if I was mad. I told him no...that I was enjoying the scenery and picking daffodils on my way back every time. Don't remember him ever bothering me again.

QQ sealed your fate on SZ...period. There were some that even respected you for taking it...had quite a bit of gear given to me after getting ganked over and over, and not saying a word except "good fight"...even if it wasn't, lol.

Yulath
08-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Reputation really didn't matter on SZ, either. There were the dedicated griefers, but you learned who they were. There were no punishments for griefing, corpse-camping, or anything else. The team aspect and the brutal PvP were the incentives for grouping, and it worked.

Griefers were looked down upon by everybody...because popping level 1's in GFay was easy. Peer pressure kept most of the big boys in line...and the dedicated griefers, well...they only fed on tears and moved on when you didn't give them any. (Besides...they were the ones that really couldn't hack real PvP). I remember one killing me more than 10 times in DC on my way to Unrest, and he finally asked me if I was mad. I told him no...that I was enjoying the scenery and picking daffodils on my way back every time. Don't remember him ever bothering me again.

QQ sealed your fate on SZ...period. There were some that even respected you for taking it...had quite a bit of gear given to me after getting ganked over and over, and not saying a word except "good fight"...even if it wasn't, lol.

Everything about your post tells me you never played on Sullon. You couldn't trade with or talk to anybody from the opposing team, there was a +/-20 level limit on PvP, and nobody could kill a level 1.

edit: and there was no such thing as a "griefer" on Sullon. That was the entire point of the server, and if you think anybody looked down on anybody, you're wrong.

Billbike
08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I played on TZ, I can testify that griefing and training was MUCH more satisfying there because it WAS illegal. Some of my fondest memories of eq was leading a parade of mobs in to people I did not care for. Or snaring someone on a corpse run, breaking their invis. Ah yes and corpse camping /tear. It's like when getting drunk was still cool, before you were allowed to do drink.

Humerox
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Everything about your post tells me you never played on Sullon. You couldn't trade with or talk to anybody from the opposing team, there was a +/-20 level limit on PvP, and nobody could kill a level 1.

edit: and there was no such thing as a "griefer" on Sullon. That was the entire point of the server, and if you think anybody looked down on anybody, you're wrong.

Iirc, at server up, you could attack level 1's. They patched in a change later. I should have said level 6, though...since you wanna get technical. Also, items could be dropped and people had alts on different accounts, or don't you remember? And the 20 level limit was on beneficial spells, not pvp.

AND...you could emote to communicate. Remember? Maybe YOU didn't play.

But if you did...you must have been team bluebie, cuz the only griefers that played were ebils and a couple ToWs. Probably played an SK and showed up once an hour or so in OT till you banged somebody, hiding until bards could charmburn ya with the guards. Or maybe you were a deleveler with a fungi, or something. ;)

EDIT: All in good fun, so w/e. SZ was the best ruleset, imo.

Jerin
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
The only thing about Sullon Zek i remember was being in Malignant those first few days....

I have vivid flashbacks of ...batwing crunchies

noooooooooooooooo!

Fourthmeal
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
SZ was the first and only Live server I played on.

Doors
08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Good read. Wish I played on SZ way back.

Macken
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
no one will punish players who farm low level players for yellow text.

Instances where this would not be true:

1. white knights
2. bored big names
3. grouping with a twink

Galanteer
08-11-2011, 08:29 PM

wtf are you talking about. There was no level limit, you could kill a level one out of newbie zones, you could talk to anyone, there were global chat channels, and you could trade. You could even buff the other team if you /duel.

PurelyElf
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Sullon was always the least populated of the 4 servers. It does sound like it was quite an experience, but I am very glad to have played on Vallon instead.

Galanteer
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't think the op really captured the essence of SZ. It was very different from that description. Also it lasted much much longer then a few months.

imo three things killed sz.

--More than one character per account (introduced during Luclin)
--Luclin --- with its instances (risk free exp and loot!) and safe zones (how many wizards would afk in the nexus until mana burn was up. Go for a kill, and then afk again....)
--cheaters

I didn't mind the massive team imbalance. On the good team we had some superb players and were still able to get things done. Getting things like a cleric epic was quite an accomplishment, something people on team easy (err evil) would never get. The players who stuck with team good in the later levels were of excellent quality. (though man, many personality clashes, trying to keep a guild together or even a raid....)

For me what made SZ exciting was mass pvp as well as the sense of danger at every corner.

Harrison
08-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Luclin had instancing? That's news to me.

SZ was fun the first few months, even with the rampant cheating they couldn't keep up with. Masses running around with bardspeed even though the offset was flagged, infinite breath, warping, instacamps, showEQ tracking, etc.

Once the "newness" of the server wore off, it was a disgusting cesspool. It wasn't pvp after a while. It was exploiting, griefing, and training.

I went over the moment it opened like most did. I remember LoS from my server made a guild that was nearly untouchable for most of that time. I think they were called Ruin?(It's hard to remember minor details like names that far back) Another example of us "bluebies" shitting down your throats.

naez
08-11-2011, 09:09 PM
--alts still had to be on same team so w/e
--luclin had no instances, that wasnt until ldon and they redid potime as instance
--every1 cheated just like emu so w/e
--ruin was a nobody fodder guild that couldnt pvp for shit even with gear/number advantages just like hate

if you look at the monthly population numbers, what actually killed SZ was WoW's release

Giovanni
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Tino = Pino?

Kope
08-11-2011, 09:16 PM
After reading that post I do understand you SZ guys better, but I still don't get your whole segregationist attitudes. The whole mentality of "if you're not SZ your shit" is horribly destroying what friends you have outside of the "SZ" clique.

Littlegyno
08-11-2011, 09:21 PM
POP and LDON began instances dogs.

Humerox
08-11-2011, 11:46 PM
After reading that post I do understand you SZ guys better, but I still don't get your whole segregationist attitudes. The whole mentality of "if you're not SZ your shit" is horribly destroying what friends you have outside of the "SZ" clique.

Not all of us. I played RZ too... I just preferred the SZ rules. The team aspect mainly...because it was probably the #1 incentive to group. You couldn't attack or kill peeps on your team, so you could PvE without worrying about your "friends" popping ya when you won the roll on that uber item.

Zone control was fun too.

Humerox
08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I also don't recall level restrictions on who you could kill. You wouldn't gain any honor or kill points or whatever they were if they were x levels below you (i.e. grey?).

I think you could get sigs...and range for sigs was +/- 5 levels iirc. I think you got kill points too...but you didn't gain any if the toon was -20...negative points came into play too, but I don't remember them from up...I think these things were patched in as time went on.

Galanteer
08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
oops, gaped there on the instancing, must have been thinking of extra keyed zones or something....

kill points came much later, after my time. Sony did publish kills daily on some website though.

early on sigs could be traded for corpse summoning potions (a good trade existed of people taking those to stormhammer iir and filtering them into the main servers) If you were in level range you would get a sig and make the other person lose exp. I think coin loot was also in level range iir.

I noticed the cheating (on my team as well) since I lead an early good team raiding guild. Had to deal with a lot of drama :/

edit in: not every one cheated. I never did. I kicked anyone out of my guild who did, and didn't group with anyone who did (I am sure some people hid it from me though)

Abacaab
08-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Sullon Zek aka virgin's paradise

The server was forged when several kids were banned from battle.net for using dupe exploits on their 96th level hammerdin. Banned from their favorite game they lusted for more griefing near town gates, with options low and a blatant refusal to leave the house even for school (an old saying was "D- is passing get off my ass!" usually spoken to an infuriated parent) they managed to scam their grandmother out of her SSI bank card...

thus began... an age of darkness

Pudge
08-12-2011, 03:31 AM
lol i remember when Bonequisha (an evil sk) got de-leveled overnight after falling asleep at the keyboard... she went from level 60 or 65 (this was pop era)...... down to 32.

the thing is, to de-level someone that far, you have to call in for help from lower-level toons, in order to stay in range for exp loss upon death. so this was a real team effort.

greatdane
08-12-2011, 03:36 AM
My only problem with SZ was that the actual game was nearly unplayable for anyone not in the one guild (Hate) that ruled everything. And it's not so much that they had won the right to rule everything as it was just a consequence of the fact that 70% of the players chose the evil team, presumably because evil is more l33t and because evil had the best PvP classes, so the evil team's top guild pretty much couldn't avoid finding an automatic, unchallenged throne at the top. There was some conflict early on in the server's history between Hate and Ruin (both on team evil, for the record), and I think that was the only instance of real competitive PvP ever found on a large scale on SZ. Once that was over and Hate had established themselves as the winners, they were guaranteed to win the server simply because the rest of the evil team would rather join them than compete with their own side, and the neutral and good teams were too small to have a realistic chance. As a consequence of all this, due to the absence of rules on the server, the game became almost unplayable for anyone outside of that privileged group. The non-Hate evils couldn't raid anything worthwhile because it was claimed by Hate, and the other teams couldn't because Hate would effortlessly thwart any attempt. If the teams had started out each with 33% of the playerbase and access to the same classes, the result of SZ could perhaps be considered an achievement. Since team evil always had two thirds of the players and monopoly on the two strongest PvP classes (necro and SK), it was kind of determined from the start. And thus, anyone but members of Hate were severely limited in what content was available to them, and could not hope to compete with Hate on a meaningful level because of the vast difference in gear and numbers. Lack of instancing was what made Everquest's PvE so unique and dynamic, but it was also what made a no-rules PvP server a nightmare for anyone who sought actual competitive PvP. On SZ, you were either the helpless underdog who knew you could never put a dent in the opposition, or you were the ruler who knew you could never lose because of the server's design and starting population. The only interesting PvP (if one regards PvP as a somewhat equal contest where both parties have a chance of winning) was the random occasion when someone from Shadows and Pain ran into someone from Black Prophecy in the middle of nowhere and duked it out. Anything else was a one-sided flexing exercise.

Harrison
08-12-2011, 04:53 AM
My only problem with SZ was that the actual game was nearly unplayable for anyone not in the one guild (Hate) that ruled everything. And it's not so much that they had won the right to rule everything as it was just a consequence of the fact that 70% of the players chose the evil team, presumably because evil is more l33t and because evil had the best PvP classes, so the evil team's top guild pretty much couldn't avoid finding an automatic, unchallenged throne at the top. There was some conflict early on in the server's history between Hate and Ruin (both on team evil, for the record), and I think that was the only instance of real competitive PvP ever found on a large scale on SZ. Once that was over and Hate had established themselves as the winners, they were guaranteed to win the server simply because the rest of the evil team would rather join them than compete with their own side, and the neutral and good teams were too small to have a realistic chance. As a consequence of all this, due to the absence of rules on the server, the game became almost unplayable for anyone outside of that privileged group. The non-Hate evils couldn't raid anything worthwhile because it was claimed by Hate, and the other teams couldn't because Hate would effortlessly thwart any attempt. If the teams had started out each with 33% of the playerbase and access to the same classes, the result of SZ could perhaps be considered an achievement. Since team evil always had two thirds of the players and monopoly on the two strongest PvP classes (necro and SK), it was kind of determined from the start. And thus, anyone but members of Hate were severely limited in what content was available to them, and could not hope to compete with Hate on a meaningful level because of the vast difference in gear and numbers. Lack of instancing was what made Everquest's PvE so unique and dynamic, but it was also what made a no-rules PvP server a nightmare for anyone who sought actual competitive PvP. On SZ, you were either the helpless underdog who knew you could never put a dent in the opposition, or you were the ruler who knew you could never lose because of the server's design and starting population. The only interesting PvP (if one regards PvP as a somewhat equal contest where both parties have a chance of winning) was the random occasion when someone from Shadows and Pain ran into someone from Black Prophecy in the middle of nowhere and duked it out. Anything else was a one-sided flexing exercise.

This guy gets it.

Aenor
08-12-2011, 06:06 AM
This guy gets it.

I don't get it.

"There was some conflict early on in the server's history between Hate and Ruin (both on team evil, for the record), and I think that was the only instance of real competitive PvP."

How did they PvP if both guilds were on evil team?

arsenalpow
08-12-2011, 06:14 AM
lol i remember when Bonequisha (an evil sk) got de-leveled overnight after falling asleep at the keyboard... she went from level 60 or 65 (this was pop era)...... down to 32.

the thing is, to de-level someone that far, you have to call in for help from lower-level toons, in order to stay in range for exp loss upon death. so this was a real team effort.

I helped delevel her for a large portion of that. She was bound in FoB in front of kaesora. SZ was the best. Also you couldn't trade sigs for anything early on, that shit was implemented maybe a year later. I had no room in the bank.

Kanz
08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
There wasn't really a battle between Ruin and Hate. Tenaj and a majority of Ruin left for some new server. The remains of Ruin merged with Hate. The battle was between Vindictive and Hate. And that was done through training, calling in Tides of Wrath (neutral guild), or at one point we had guildwar. Granted eventually, we ended up merging together. A lot of time was wasted killing bosses just to cockblock neutrals from gearing up even though we were like 2 tiers higher on raid content.

Harrison
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Tenaj! Now that's a fucking household name from The Nameless lol

Most of Ruin left because SZ got stale, and went to the next newest server. (KB? I forget.)

Galanteer
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I though at the start it would have been more balanced if one evil god went newt and one newt went good. As it was evils had 3 cities to themselves and good had zero.

Galanteer
08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Black Prophecy

didn't form till some 16 months into the server.

While evil did dominate there were still some great fights. If there had been no good fights there would be little nostalgic memory of that server.

Poor you if you played evil and never got to enjoy mass pvp because everyone else was on your team, but that's the price you paid for taking the easy way out. You could log on, level up and loot up relatively safe and almost never have pvp unless you wanted it. From good team perspective we had pvp every single time we logged on.

Nobody mentioned the time newts won a fight in skyshrine against evils and corpse camped until rot (or pay a ransom).

freakyuno
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyone interested in an SZ ruleset, item loot, no drop disabled server with super quick xp?

Macken
08-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Half the comments here about SZ are wrong. If you have any questions about SZ, just ask Macken the winner yall.

Macken deleveled scores of players, and could delevel anyone to level 6 by himself in any zone.

You just have to know and be better than all the rest.

Vile
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Anyone interested in an SZ ruleset, item loot, no drop disabled server with super quick xp?

yes. praise jesus

Anarchrist
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
SZ was by far the best MMO experience Ive ever had and Ive played a lot of them :P Thanks for the post it took me back, Any one that had trouble playing on sullon wasn't doing it right i was good team up untill i quit EQ I had plenty of opportunity to raid and griefers and CC were quickly dealt with by my guild, SZ enforced a real sense of community ..... on the good team any ways. Having to band together and defend your team mates and zones add a welcome aspect to EQ that im missing on a blue server (Though i feel like ive experienced more content in 3 months of playing here then i did in the year and a half i played on live lol)

Fourthmeal
08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
SZ was by far the best MMO experience Ive ever had and Ive played a lot of them :P Thanks for the post it took me back, Any one that had trouble playing on sullon wasn't doing it right i was good team up untill i quit EQ I had plenty of opportunity to raid and griefers and CC were quickly dealt with by my guild, SZ enforced a real sense of community ..... on the good team any ways. Having to band together and defend your team mates and zones add a welcome aspect to EQ that im missing on a blue server (Though i feel like ive experienced more content in 3 months of playing here then i did in the year and a half i played on live lol)

Yeah, its funny how little of the world I saw as a good team member on SZ. Coming to p99 was like a whole new game.

Tiggles
08-29-2011, 01:08 AM

Wow who the fuck is this tard?

SZ had the best ruleset of any pvp server and if they tweaked the classes/deities a tad it would be a winner for red99

Amuk
08-29-2011, 01:28 AM
I want a quick exp boxing server to play till red99 pls freaky.

Sniperfire
08-29-2011, 08:21 AM

there was no0 lvl limit on sz srry

Sniperfire
08-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Half the comments here about SZ are wrong. If you have any questions about SZ, just ask Macken the winner yall.

Macken deleveled scores of players, and could delevel anyone to level 6 by himself in any zone.

You just have to know and be better than all the rest.

who were you on SZ?

RandySlopeJr
08-29-2011, 08:25 AM
SZ a good pvp server..you mad

Galacticus
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
there was no0 lvl limit on sz srry

Confirmed.

mitic
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
sz was the best eq server of all time

Galacticus
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
yes. praise jesus

Are you the same Vile that ran Hate?

Muaar
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
sz was the best eq server of all time

OF ALL TIME

mimixownzall
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Haha, no... you're completely fucking wrong or the rules were changed after I left which was after PoP.

You could talk to the opposing factions, but not trade or group with them. Players were immune to pvp below level 7 or 8, cant remember which... maybe 6 and below or 5 and below, but Fansy ruined that. After the Fancy nerf, only the starting zones had the pvp immunity for low levels. Go outside those starting zones, and level 1s were gank bait.

Sniperfire
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
SZ WAS the best server of all time. We dont need gms in the pvp mix we need them for quest issues, being stuck under the world etc. Getting trained or corpse camped by somone should make you look for allies not for gm protection

mimixownzall
08-29-2011, 08:56 PM

If you had a pet class all you had to do was summon lower level pets that were blue or lower to the person you were killing and have the pet kill them. That de-leveled them. Buddy of mine de-leveled a druid who had griefed him as a newb from 45 to 31 using his lower level pets.

Snufz
08-30-2011, 03:13 AM

I read that far... sorry bro who the fuck were you on SZ? Griefers were the kings of the server, showered with loot from their guilds for a job well done and feared by all the opposing teams.

Real griefers roll hard, real griefers don't stop.

Bard power for life.

Snufz
08-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Except Bezer, he was just the server mascot, though GFay was his bitch.

Bloodfart
08-30-2011, 04:47 AM
I read that far... sorry bro who the fuck were you on SZ? Griefers were the kings of the server, showered with loot from their guilds for a job well done and feared by all the opposing teams.

Bard power for life.

I agree.

I was a male bard named Nancy (only 1 of 2 evil wood elves on server) and would constantly train and chant newbs in places like Gfay for shits and giggles. Eventually some higher players would show up to chase me and my buddy away and we'd let them chase us then blink around, double-back, and pick off high level stragglers away from the pack.

Was insanely fun. Caused insane grief for both low and high levels.

Players were always hatin' saying all I could do was grief lowbies even past the point of me assfucking them with surprise DDD (like a SK harm touch). People tend to [i]hate[/] that they can't catch and kill a good bard. Really pisses them off and makes them stupid.

Can't beat the way players grunt and fall over when they die in EQ.

Humerox
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Griefers were the kings of the server, showered with loot from their guilds for a job well done and feared by all the opposing teams.

I laughed so hard at that I almost choked. :D

Will be fun killing you on R99 bro.

Sniperfire
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Bard power for life.

speedd actually got dkp for training raids lololol

Humerox
08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Wasn't that Kirban's alt?

Bards were pretty mean, anyway. Gonna have a lot of bard love on the server, I'm sure.

;)

Sniperfire
08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
naw speedd was the main bard in hate he would keep all the newts from progressing while we did raids

pojab
08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
old sz stories give me a hardon.

Nirgon
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I believe SZ did change certain religions to be allowed to be used by certain races, usually by class... hm.

Would be sweet if they prevented evils from getting bards.

solid
08-31-2011, 04:33 AM
Wasn't that Kirban's alt?

Speedd was Kirban, yes.

mitic
08-31-2011, 04:55 AM
speed/kirban was a known hacker, everyone knows that.

Sniperfire
08-31-2011, 04:58 AM
every good player was accused of hacking that doesnt make it true

mitic
08-31-2011, 05:09 AM
naw speedd was the main bard in hate he would keep all the newts from progressing while we did raids

every good player was accused of hacking that doesnt make it true

i played in the #2 newt guild back then when kirban kept ghosting around and wiping our raids in velious. u srsly think that 1 man could continiously wipe a full raid force over and over without geting killed once? he was in fact suspended at least twice when that occurred

Sniperfire
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
i played with him for several years and never saw him cheat..just like badies to call hax over things they dont understand

mitic
08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
of course you did not see him cheat, same as you never had an exp loss when u died to white con players

fohkure
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
This thread is awesome... I was in <Hate>, <BP>, and <FoH> at one time or another. Speedd was the toon that Kirban made after Kirban account got banned... Speedd was above DKP in Hate. If he actually wanted something, he got it. It was well worth it for everyone in Hate for him to get gear too, so no one complained.

On the evil team I really did not like seeing ToW in the same zone as me. Those guys were mean (as they should have been) and relentless. If they were there, they were there to PK and camp your ass! They were never alone and their disadvantage in gear made them just play their classes that much better. I hated pvping with my Hate guildies because they were horrible for the most part. There were exceptions (Speedd and a few others I can't remember right now).

I played on TZ, VZ, SZ, and RZ at one point in time or another. SZ was my favorite with RZ being a very close second. SZ was so broken it was fun. I got tired of being on the evil team, so I made my good account around PoP. It was definitely a lot more fun to be the underdog on the server. Ironically, I was never afraid of Hate guys for a few reasons. 1. they were always raiding or not on (I never saw them) 2. they really didn't pvp much aside from a very few players 3. mostly, they didn't grief.

The best things about sz (this is pure nostalgia):
Sam!
Pyratte Pete!
Marathe! hahaha
ToW and their ability to completely ruin your day
Fansy the famous bard (duh)
Flowers of Happiness in general...
Black Prophecy and their everybody is a drama queen policy (best guild chat ever)
Speedd and his mad skills and mad speed hacking skills

just my $.02

Chris

mitic
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
imo marathe was a creepy old man irl

Humerox
09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
The only thing I remember about Marathe was the spamming, lol. Legendary.

Meh...it's all been so long ago my memory is foggy.

where's my applesauce...

fohkure
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
imo marathe was a creepy old man irl

grin

kioe
09-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I loved SZ but I can't imagine that being recreated here. It would be interesting to see though.

The real Kirban quit when manaburn was nerfed. Until that time I played with him quite a bit and I never saw him hack in any way. That's not to say it didn't happen but I think I would have noticed.

kioe
09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Anyone remember the name of the half elf bard that in the early days of live got trained over and over on his bind point in OT? He lost most of his levels iirc.
I think it was the newts that did that.

At the time, I heard a story that the guy was a narcoleptic.

juicedsixfo
09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Tino?

fohkure
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
The only thing I remember about Marathe was the spamming, lol. Legendary.

Meh...it's all been so long ago my memory is foggy.

where's my applesauce...

That's all he did.... Sit around and spam, it was hilarious. He would challenge people to duels all the time and never show up, but claim victory.

It's a newt newt newt world... grin...

I loved that guy!

Chris

fohkure
09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I loved SZ but I can't imagine that being recreated here. It would be interesting to see though.

The real Kirban quit when manaburn was nerfed. Until that time I played with him quite a bit and I never saw him hack in any way. That's not to say it didn't happen but I think I would have noticed.

Whether he hacked or not is completely irrelevant at this point. He was an exceptional player hated by both other teams. I spent a great deal of time talking and grouping with him. He was an awesome guy.

The burn nerf was so lame. I will never forget watching Pyratte Pete bow burn entire groups down in Plane of Nightmare. I proc'd my tstaff on him one time and got him killed. There were about 3 groups camping his corpse for the next 5 hours hahaha. He was very hated in that zone.

Chris

solid
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Anyone remember the name of the half elf bard that in the early days of live got trained over and over on his bind point in OT? He lost most of his levels iirc.
I think it was the newts that did that.

At the time, I heard a story that the guy was a narcoleptic.

His name was Pino.

Pino was one of the most note-worthy characters and one of the largest factors in SZ history, even outside of that event.

Galacticus
04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Old threads are fun!

Alecta
04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I appreciate the thread necro.

And wtf at Humerox saying you could emote to communicate. You could do that if you didnt want to bother sending tells to the other team...

Nytch
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Speedd was Kirban yes. Not his alt though, Kirban got banned for hacking and he rolled Speedd

Nirgon
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
SZ was fun for a while on team neutral, truz me. However, I just kept wanting RZ back every time I saw someone I absolutely hated that I couldn't kill/loot for an item.

Zallar
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
+1

Aprisle
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM

Why doesn't reputation matter? Everybody knows each other here and boards are far more active than EQLive

Vexia
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Tenaj! Now that's a fucking household name from The Nameless lol

Most of Ruin left because SZ got stale, and went to the next newest server. (KB? I forget.)

Stumbled upon these SZ threads and enjoyed reminiscing. Played on SZ from the beginning. I was a mage in <Ruin>, first mage epic and first Sal`Varae's robe from TOV. Most of my PvP revolved around various ToW newts trying to hunt me down while I spent hours on end solo camping Quillmane in SK (there was one halfling druid, whose names escapes me, but had lots of fun battles with). Always enjoyed that. I was there for that epic battle in crystal caverns and took the screenshot that was circulated on many of the SZ boards with the members of <Ruin> standing over hundreds of dead newt bodies (haihowru.jpg). Wish I still had a copy of that on my HD....

I can only speak for myself, but it's no shock that most people in <Ruin> were PvE oriented and basically chose to come to SZ (the core of which were from Legacy of Steel on The Nameless sever) for a chance to start everything from scratch and maybe have a little fun with the "pvp thing".

There was no war between Hate and Ruin, though I believe certain higher members in Hate's leadership were envious of Ruin's prestige and success. i.e., We were both a bunch of bluebies, but at least we were good at it. The "demise" of <Ruin> occurred when most of us migrated to the first "Euro" server, Venril Sathir, in hopes of using the timezone difference in our favor. We dominated VS in much the same fashion (minus the PvP), but ultimately most of us got tired of EQ (or MMORPGs) in general and fled to DAoC and eventually WoW or bi-passed both and went directly to RL.

Anyways, there was lots of hate for us (and still is apparently) from all sides, and I can understand that, but we mostly kept to ourselves and didn't bother anyone unless they made the mistake of trying to bring trouble to us. Was one of my favorite times while playing any MMORPG, both because all of the characters on SZ (all factions) and all the great people I spent most of my time with, which was an obscene amount of my life at the time...

liveitup1216
07-02-2013, 06:22 PM
If I had a dollar for every time Kirban popped into velks and I was the lucky winner of his manaburn-a-random-person-then-gate. Sometimes I felt like he just had it out for some people.

Nizzarr
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey Vexia, long time no see.

Come play on the red server imo!

Nytch
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
If I had a dollar for every time Kirban popped into velks and I was the lucky winner of his manaburn-a-random-person-then-gate. Sometimes I felt like he just had it out for some people.

One time I was sitting at the zone line and he popped in so I ruptured him, he must not have had his crimson pot on because we sat there for about 10 mins before he plugged. He later made it a point to find me whenever we were in the same zone =(

liveitup1216
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
If anybody's looking to start up on red I'd be interested in buddying up, been itching start up there but can't bring myself yet to do it all alone.

Vexia
07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Hey Vexia, long time no see.

Come play on the red server imo!

Despite my better judgement, it has piqued my interest!

Num1RecommendedByDentists
07-04-2013, 07:11 PM
if you're looking for a classic everquest pvp experience, this server does not offer one

Gustoo
07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Its the best custom PVP emu server you can get though. A valiant effort.

Come have fun. Post when u wanna play maybe u can setup play date grinding groups or something :P

SamwiseRed
07-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Despite my better judgement, it has piqued my interest!

vex please dont join ruin 2.0. we need more dogs to fight the good fight instead of keeping this a one guild server.

Nytch
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
vex please dont join ruin 2.0. we need more dogs to fight the good fight instead of keeping this a one guild server.

Sam, give me gear.

SamwiseRed
07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
druid buffs > gear

Nytch
07-07-2013, 09:20 PM
So no gear then?

SamwiseRed
07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
just whats on my guys :(

Nytch
07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Maybe someday

SamwiseRed
07-07-2013, 10:56 PM
what class are you. join date oct 2010, should be rolling in blue plat.

Swyft
07-08-2013, 02:45 AM
Luclin had instancing? That's news to me.

SZ was fun the first few months, even with the rampant cheating they couldn't keep up with. Masses running around with bardspeed even though the offset was flagged, infinite breath, warping, instacamps, showEQ tracking, etc.

Once the "newness" of the server wore off, it was a disgusting cesspool. It wasn't pvp after a while. It was exploiting, griefing, and training.

I went over the moment it opened like most did. I remember LoS from my server made a guild that was nearly untouchable for most of that time. I think they were called Ruin?(It's hard to remember minor details like names that far back) Another example of us "bluebies" shitting down your throats.

One minute you cry about exploiting than praise the biggest exploiting guild on the server Ruin/Vind lol oh the irony.

And with the best gear and hacks Ruin had about 10% of Darkenbane's points and never overtook them for number 1 pvp guild on the boards, even when the guild went inactive and had no member's for 2 years, they couldn't overcome Darkenbane's insane number of pts.

lol but I guess getting the best gear is the goal for blubies why would any guild want to be ranked number 1 on a pvp server lmfao.

Nirgon
07-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Everyone goes evil

Cross teaming is retarded and will happen

Just stop

SamwiseRed
07-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Everyone goes evil

Cross teaming is retarded and will happen

Just stop

nah evil is zerg, thats like saying everyone goes Nihilum

Alawen
07-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Hi. I obviously didn't have a role in the great team pvp battles because I was a goodie, but I had a big mouth on the forums and was always on the kill leader board, so most people will probably remember who I am.

Why do people keep saying you couldn't trade between teams? I traded between teams all the time. I farmed the Ry'Gorr fort, cobalt drakes, Siren's Grotto, The Grey.

Ruin left Venril Sathir after we all leveled up and the server policy changed to open it up to transfers.

It was fun to read through all the reminiscing, but people sure do have bizarre memories.

Vexia
07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
One minute you cry about exploiting than praise the biggest exploiting guild on the server Ruin/Vind lol oh the irony.

And with the best gear and hacks Ruin had about 10% of Darkenbane's points and never overtook them for number 1 pvp guild on the boards, even when the guild went inactive and had no member's for 2 years, they couldn't overcome Darkenbane's insane number of pts.

lol but I guess getting the best gear is the goal for blubies why would any guild want to be ranked number 1 on a pvp server lmfao.

"This was clearly a Darkenbane victory"

Chronoburn
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
"This was clearly a Darkenbane victory"

Love it ... even though I ended up in DB when our guild merged. I will also take partial credit for helping break up DB. Bio orb > DB.

Best newt pvp guild was <Inkara> ... held the top guild spot for many months after merging with DB. Also, there were only 10-15 active players.