PDA

View Full Version : Other duo options for a warrior other than cleric?

nagarpoe
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

I already have a middle-age cleric for husband’s ranger but he’s wanting to restart a warrior and I want to be able to play with his character with a different class.

I’ve never played enchanter before, so I am thinking I can fiddle around with that..but not sure if warrior/enchanter duo is an option or not.

Can you guys think of any other duo options for a warrior?

Thanks so much in advance.

Muleworth
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
shaman / druid both have nice side benefits in addition to healing/buffing power.

Galanteer
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Warr/Ench can work, but you will likely have a fair bit of downtime due to lack of healing. Rune and chain stunning only goes so far.

Nice thing about Warr/Ench you have 2/3 of the makings of a good group right there.

PurelyElf
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Shaman/druid probably your best bet, but that sounds really boring and overdone to me. Why not try a necro? If you could keep agro over him, you could agro kite. If not, then fear kite with him as added dps. And you could even have him tank some, and heal him with your ghetto heals.

Sounds fun!

nagarpoe
08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
hmm, interesting,

I didn't even think of a necro as an option.

This might be great too since i've never played an necro either!

Thanks!!

Silentone
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I llike all the options listed and think they are the best choices for duo with a warrior, I will add one last comment though. The druid will hold you back when you get closer to the end dungeons. Druids tend to have a harder time getting groups when you venture deeper in the 55+ dungeons. But thats just me and my 2cp's

SupaflyIRL
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
War/necro is a huge waste of the necros time.

PurelyElf
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
War/necro is a huge waste of the necros time.

Not if they enjoy each other's company!

SupaflyIRL
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
That's what tells are for. If he's really a good friend I'll throw him some pity loot from my pile of riches.

PurelyElf
08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Necros are so antisocial :(

Come hang out with the rest of us sometime! <3

jerok88
08-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Bard works well... if you want the warrior to sit and get PL'd from 18-50+. Or if you fight normally a war/bard is a great start to a group, just like a war/ench but with more versatility in exchange for xp penalty

Shaman, Dru work as well.

Stormhowl
08-11-2011, 05:46 PM
If you're not looking to do WAR/CLR, then I highly recommend WAR/SHM. The Shaman's slow spells will make your life easier when it comes to healing, and you have some of the best melee buffs in the game to make the Warrior that much better.

Shaman may be over done, but there's really no better combo for those two classes (except maybe MNK/SHM >.>).

Collum
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
My wife and I played together as a warrior shammy team. We totally kicked ass. (still trying to get her playing again!)

Fourthmeal
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Shaman fo sho

greatdane
08-12-2011, 02:27 AM
If you want to remain an effective duo without having to look for more people to form a group, which is presumably the case since you went the melee+healer route the first time raound, you'll probably have to do that again. It's technically possible to duo a warrior with a necro or something, but it isn't much fun and has no versatility at all. Kiting stuff around your whole life is boring, the warrior would just be an extra pet for the necro. Warrior+enchanter is even worse, you can't sustain long-term health on a tank with just the berserker line of spells and you'd spend fortunes in components by trying to do it with rune spells. Enchanter spells are also huge aggro. Really, never try to duo a melee with a non-healer and expect the melee to tank. The warrior will run out of HP, and when he does, it'll take fifteen minutes to regenerate them back. Tank+enchanter is not a truly viable duo.

For a warrior, you're probably gonna want a shaman. If you don't specifically dislike playing a shaman, do it. It's one of the best duos in the game if you don't want to rely on something really gimmicky. Druid will also work, but it's just not a strong enough class to match up to the shaman who is basically designed to support melee classes. Cleric is actually the worst healer for a melee duo and only shine when paired with an enchanter (or in a full group or raid, naturally).

Taminy
08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Warrior/Shaman is basically as good as Monk/Shaman. In other words it's very very good :p Just keep the warrior berserk for extra dps.

The other healer options (including paladin) are decent.

You can try other combos with classes that can fear or aggro kite (but a rogue is better duo for fear or aggro kite classes).

You can also duo with a monk, let the monk tank until low health then feign, then you tank, then you both bandage up.

Really though nothing is even close to Shaman for your duo partner.

Mellor
08-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Warrior+Shaman is the obvious choice since you definatly need a healer to compliment your warrior and Shaman will provide the best grinding buffs for your warrior. Plus with Warrior/Shaman you have whatever needed to start a group so just add some DPS and you will hit the ground running.

Warrior and Druid will also provide a good option although you will need a slower eventually.

Tunarian
08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
My wife and I played together as a warrior shammy team. We totally kicked ass. (still trying to get her playing again!)

Amen to that...

Labyrrinth
08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
If he's set on a melee, why not try to get him to play something a little more versatile; like a SK or Pally? I think that would be a better compliment to the enchanter you are considering playing.

vageta31
08-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Shaman/SK is an awesome combo in it's own right, possibly better than even a Shaman/Warrior due to the utility of the SK. You lose some DPS and tanking ability, however the SK can hold aggro just fine and with FD you can break spawns that a warrior/shm duo cannot.

For the ultimate team an Ogre Shaman/Ogre SK is an ungodly duo that can take down just about anything that can be done duo style. The shaman can add some DoTs for DPS if needbe and his pet helps as well, and Turgur's will allow the SK to be able to tank pretty much anything within reason.

knottyb0y
08-12-2011, 10:14 AM
That's what tells are for. If he's really a good friend I'll throw him some pity loot from my pile of riches.

Win.

But really Warriors would do best with a priest class, I can tell you from experience that a warrior and shaman (especially at higher levels) is a GREAT DUO! Slows make up for the shaman's lack of healing ability compared to the cleric and being able to buff the warrior to high hell is really really fun. Druids I guess could do the job but other than the ability to port and DS the utility of a druid is nothing compared to a Shaman.

It gets a lot trickier when you start thinking about non priest classes. My first suggestion is get bandages, a lot of them and get used to using them. Enchanters might be able to duo effectively with a warrior but I imagine each fight would be a huge mana dump for the enchanter, you'd really need a healer to be efficient.

Necro's can keep the warrior alive and cut downtime by alot, and this can be done. Root would be necessary to keep the warrior in command of aggro and things can be worked out. But again if you add a third (particularly a shaman) things get exponentially better.

A mage and a warrior would make a very horrible duo (but yes it can be done with terrible inneficiency) but atleast you'd have unlimited bandages.

A wizard and warrior would probably be even worse a duo, but you could break the guinness book of world records for downtime. I would suggest some bad combo of Root and having the tank back off when on low HP for this combo.

I would not think that any melee classes would be efficient duos with a warrior.

The problem is that Warriors are so specialized to be the TANK and that's it that they are better served as part of a trio than a duo. A warrior in a trio adds a LOT to the group, but in a duo your partner better have a lot of utility. If you have to duo with a warrior I would rank the combination of classes as such.

1. Warrior and Shaman (pros: slow/haste, utility, healing, buffing con: not the best heals)
2. Warrior and Cleric (pros: best healing available, group in a box con: clerics have low utility (no haste/slow/buffs)
3. Warrior and Druid (pro: healing, some utility and buffing, ports con: no slow/haste not the best heals)
4. Warrior and Necro (pro: downtime healing, some utility con: heals really don't cut the mustard in big fights, inefficiency (anything a necro and warrior can duo a necro can likely solo)
5. Warrior and enchanter (pro: buffs, haste/slow con: no heals, big downtime)

Bubbles
08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
lol wiz warrior would be fun once the wiz got the fluxx staff and could snare and chain-aggro something while the warrior beat on it from behind.

Taminy
08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Shaman/SK is an awesome combo in it's own right, possibly better than even a Shaman/Warrior due to the utility of the SK. You lose some DPS and tanking ability, however the SK can hold aggro just fine and with FD you can break spawns that a warrior/shm duo cannot.

IMO, the dps and tanking ability hits aren't worth the SKs utility. It's a bigger difference than most realize. You can also break up camps easily enough at 54+ by using mightystrike. That and hybrid xp penalty FTL.

Don't get me wrong, they're both viable duos, I just think warrior/shaman is a little better.

Taminy
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I would not think that any melee classes would be efficient duos with a warrior.

Monk or paladin would be doable. Everything else would be too utterly painful.

Labyrrinth
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
You can also break up camps easily enough at 54+ by using mightystrike.

54+ is going to be a long way off for them. One lone ability, to break a camp at 54+, shouldn't be the determining factor on what class to play now.

And if they're playing for fun, who cares about the exp penalty? Just have fun!!! :)

P99Millertime
08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
shamy/necro is awesome!

SupaflyIRL
08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Bard/Warrior is good, warrior can shout words of encouragement as the bard lays waste to entire zones.

nagarpoe
08-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you, all!!

I think i will go with Shaman since it does seem like a good duo option and we would still be useful in groups as well.

I think i'll just make my enchanter on the side just for fun to see what enchanters are all about.

Thank you for all the input!

bakkily
08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
shms best, at the beginning not as great heals like a cleric

though if anyone has plans on two boxing, dont, doesnt get you anything good like a good ban hammer

greatdane
08-13-2011, 03:44 AM
For a 2-man duo, a shaman is a much better healer than a cleric. You don't need big heals on someone who isn't raidbuffed, and especially not before the upper levels. There's barely any difference in the efficiency between greater and superior healing, for example, and regen+canni (not to mention slow) makes the shaman a far more efficient healer for any content available to a duo. Cleric/enchanter is the only duo where cleric is preferable because one can take advantage of the often much higher HP of a charmed mob compared to a tank of that level, and because there's no need for stat buffs.

nagarpoe
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks all again!

No, we're not two-boxing. All we have to do is turn on mumble to prove.