PDA

View Full Version : Necro Feign Death Spell

Nazran
08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Can someone give me a refresher on why Necro FD would fail or under what circumstances mobs ignore it? I have died a couple of times in instances where my FD seems to have gone off without a hitch.

freakyuno
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Can someone give me a refresher on why Necro FD would fail or under what circumstances mobs ignore it? I have died a couple of times in instances where my FD seems to have gone off without a hitch.

There's a number of circumstances FD will fail.

1.) The mob is in mid swing, so after the FD triggers, the mob finishes it's swing and hits you, basically breaking your FD
2.) There's a spell being cast on you, thats still in process. If the casting is started, and you FD - the spell will still land, and break FD
3.) I know on live, originally - you couldnt FD with DOT's on you, because the next tick would notify the mob you were still alive. Not sure how it works here.
4.) FD does not always completly wipe the agro list, so if you FD - then stand up, there's lots of circumstances where they'll come back after you.
5.) Your bet being up / attacking can have something to do with FD working...though I dont remember the ramifications, just that it can happen.

quellren
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
It's quite possible you *think* it went off without a hitch, and simply missed the 'Nozron has fallen to the ground' fail message in the battle spam.

It's rare, but FD failing does happen. You still fall to the ground, the mob just doesn't believe you.

Bruman
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
2.) There's a spell being cast on you, thats still in process. If the casting is started, and you FD - the spell will still land, and break FD

Note on this one - if you resist, your FD won't break.

Bubbles
08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
If for some strange reason you have your auto-attack *actually* on as a necro.... you will fail feign 100% of the time when you cast the spell.

Monks have it second nature to automatically turn off attack while feigning. Necros, who usually aren't attacking, can have that slip up now and then if they have attack on while /assisting someone or something.

Nazran
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I am reasonably sure when I died last night I was dotted by Goblin Blightcaller with a disease dot. I guess I don't remember how it worked on Live. I thought I remembered you could feign while dotted and while you would take the damage the mob would no longer aggro.

Dr4z3r
08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Monks have it macro'd to automatically turn off attack while feigning.

Might be helpful for a necro to do the same. Sure seems like it can't hurt anyways. :D

Another 'it-can't-hurt' tip is to make an audio trigger for "[yourname] has fallen to the ground," so you'll have a distinct cue each time your FD fails.

SupaflyIRL
08-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I made an audio trigger for fizzles and now I'm deaf. Would not recommend.

Seaweedpimp
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
1.) The mob is in mid swing, so after the FD triggers, the mob finishes it's swing and hits you, basically breaking your FD

Not true

SirAlvarex
08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
On my lowbie necro, I've noticed that
1) Non-damaging spell effects (like drowsy) didn't break feign death.
2) Already applied DoT's did not break feign death.
3) Feign death will just randomly fail.
4) Necro applied DoTs on the mob will continue to run, however they do not generate aggro on the necro unless the necro stands up during one of the ticks. If the mob dies while FD'd, you do not get credit for the kill (it vanishes like an NPC kill without a corpse).
1 and 2 were observed while hunting casters in LOIO. 4 I noticed at Aviak village. 3 was just unfortunate.

xshayla701
08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Might be helpful for a necro to do the same. Sure seems like it can't hurt anyways. :D

Another 'it-can't-hurt' tip is to make an audio trigger for "[yourname] has fallen to the ground," so you'll have a distinct cue each time your FD fails.

Just dinged 30 on my SK...so necros/SKs do get a fail message for failed FD? Guess I haven't seen it yet. Just a TON of fizzles lol!

Yinikren
08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Your abjuration skill affects your percentage chance of FD failing, besides fizzling. Necros and SKs get no FD skill, so ChanceToFail is based off the casting school.

FD will break if you are hit by a spell that was cast prior to you FDing. Proper protocol for FDing in dungeons is to round a corner, wait for the spell to hit, then FD.

Autoattacks have nothing to do with mob attack animations and will not break FD, unless it has failed. Same with dots on you or a mob, they will not interrupt a successful FD.

Seaweedpimp
08-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Autoattacks have nothing to do with mob attack animations and will not break FD, unless it has failed.

What do you mean?

If you fd with attack on it most certainly will not work.

Dentalplan
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Your abjuration skill affects your percentage chance of FD failing
I don't think this is correct. The rate of failed FD's (not fizzles) seems pretty constant regardless of abjuration skill.

Yinikren
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure your casting skill affected fail chance. And I was talking about the mob autoattacking, not you. I haven't tested autoattacking and FDing on this server.

Bubbles
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I made an audio trigger for fizzles and now I'm deaf. Would not recommend.

lmao A+. so true..

taamas
08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I also found out the hard way the other day that if you FD while a mob is feared, they don't care. They'll return to punching you in the face once the fear wears off. :(

SirAlvarex
08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Seeing some of these posts seems kinda odd to me, as Feign Death has been nothing but reliable for me. DoTs being active, mobs being feared, pets doing the macarena; feign death has always stuck except the two times I got a "Qojesh has fallen to the ground" message. Note this is with max abjuration for my level.

Athosblack
08-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I have to FD a few times, or more, before the mob stops bum rushing me. It's frustrating, but it keeps me on my toes even when I FD>

knottyb0y
08-13-2011, 03:38 PM
So what are the actual rules for feign death?

What I know.

Feign Death is an abjuration spell. Does your skill in abjuration have an affect on if you succeed or fail the feign death attempt? Does level or any other factor play in the success or failure rate?

Feign death breaks if NPC Spell hits you. Is this with any spell? Do none damaging spells (such as slow or blind) break feign death?

Feign death breaks if an NPC hits you with a melee/ranged attack For example if an NPC hits a double attack when you hit feign it breaks feign. What situation would cause an npc to not stop attacking as soon as you hit feign death?

Other questions.

Does feign death wipe the hate list immediately? I vaguely remember hearing that if you stay feigned for x amount of time the NPC forgets you. Do you need to wait until the NPC paths back to their spawn?

What is the Casting Refresh time with feign death? IE: if you fail how much time do you have before you can try again ?(this could totally affect how early and what situations you feign death on)

Can necromancers Feign pull to split mobs like monks? I know monk's feign death is an instant affect. But we have snare, can necromancers split camps using feign death?

quellren
08-13-2011, 04:23 PM

What I know.

Feign Death is an abjuration spell. Does your skill in abjuration have an affect on if you succeed or fail the feign death attempt? Does level or any other factor play in the success or failure rate?
Abjuration does not affect your fail rate, just fizzle rate.

Feign death breaks if NPC Spell hits you. Is this with any spell? Do none damaging spells (such as slow or blind) break feign death?
I'm 99% sure that non-damaging spells will not break FD. I don't have specific examples, but I can't recall it ever happening to me with slow, tash, etc.

Feign death breaks if an NPC hits you with a melee/ranged attack For example if an NPC hits a double attack when you hit feign it breaks feign. What situation would cause an npc to not stop attacking as soon as you hit feign death?
Your autoattack is on when you FD, or you get hit with a spell. Or 'you fall to the ground' Since double attack is essentially instant, the chance of you FDing between the two are neigh impossible.

Other questions.

Does feign death wipe the hate list immediately? I vaguely remember hearing that if you stay feigned for x amount of time the NPC forgets you. Do you need to wait until the NPC paths back to their spawn?
For mobs under lvl 35, yes, its essentially like you logged out. Completely forgotten. Over 35, all bets off. Play it safe and assume they're gonna haul ass toward you when you stand. Pathing mobs *never* forget.

What is the Casting Refresh time with feign death? IE: if you fail how much time do you have before you can try again ?(this could totally affect how early and what situations you feign death on)
Recast time is 15 sec on feign death. If it Fizzles, its like 2.5sec

Can necromancers Feign pull to split mobs like monks? I know monk's feign death is an instant affect. But we have snare, can necromancers split camps using feign death?
You can. the mechanic is essentially the same as monks, the differences are 1sec cast vs instant, and of course your hp/ac discrepancy. I've used FD to split many many Guk camps by pulling with ___ Darkness. You're not built for it, but SK's are using the same spell and doing it, you can too. Just be aware of the consequences of a failure and/or interrupts.

Ahhah Hah
08-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
Observe your opponent and if he does not stop rushing at you kite him further and re-FD and observe him again.
On some monsters I've found that you need to FD 3-4 times before it truely clears aggro, even if they leave you alone after you've fallen to the floor.
If 3-4 FD's does not clear aggro (when you sit up they rush back at you), I would FD and /q.

Muleworth
08-14-2011, 10:53 AM

that is freaking brilliant, thieved and thanks!

Ennoia
08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by knottyb0y View Post

What I know.

Abjuration does not affect your fail rate, just fizzle rate.

I'm 99% sure that non-damaging spells will not break FD. I don't have specific examples, but I can't recall it ever happening to me with slow, tash, etc.
Any spell landing on you, resisted or not, can break FD. Or, I should say, is supposed to break FD (See current EQ AA to have FD not be broken when a spell is resisted). The existence of that AA shows 100% that even resisted spells were able to break FD.

Your autoattack is on when you FD, or you get hit with a spell. Or 'you fall to the ground' Since double attack is essentially instant, the chance of you FDing between the two are neigh impossible.

Other questions.

For mobs under lvl 35, yes, its essentially like you logged out. Completely forgotten. Over 35, all bets off. Play it safe and assume they're gonna haul ass toward you when you stand. Pathing mobs *never* forget.
It's a safe bet, when you're alone, to wait at least 60 seconds after they begin walking away for mobs to return to their spawn point. I don't recall whether or not P99 has the 'your enemies have forgotten you!' message. Pathing mobs do, indeed, forget, you just have to wait until their path goes back to their spawn point.

Recast time is 15 sec on feign death. If it Fizzles, its like 2.5sec
A good practice if you're trying to FD a single mob is to root it then back up and FD. Gives some extra time in the event of the inevitable 'fizzle when you REALLY need the spell now'.

You can. the mechanic is essentially the same as monks, the differences are 1sec cast vs instant, and of course your hp/ac discrepancy. I've used FD to split many many Guk camps by pulling with ___ Darkness. You're not built for it, but SK's are using the same spell and doing it, you can too. Just be aware of the consequences of a failure and/or interrupts.
Necro/SK pulling is a fine art. The biggest mistake people make starting out is not stopping completely when they start casting their FD, then it becomes a second and a half wasted. Pets can be a pretty big nuisance as well when pulling, but they can also buy you time to get back to a group in a bad situation. It's something you need to practice knowing when to stop mashing /pet back, and when to let him try to take aggro. The lower defensive capability on the Necromancer shouldn't be a big deal. If you're pulling correctly, you won't get hit. Undead are obviously a lot easier for a Necromancer to pull due to the Undead lull spells, but other mobs are definitely doable. Snare splitting is something you're going to need to get very familiar with if you want to pull.