PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce mana?

nalkin
08-15-2011, 01:40 AM
So uh give me the skinny, and if you wanna give us a reason while your at it... well go for it friend.

Doors
08-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Anyone who votes for option 2 probably pronounces necro wrong too.

Zorpa
08-15-2011, 02:37 AM
And Shaman.

Fourthmeal
08-15-2011, 03:10 AM
i wanna man uh

Ektar
08-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Diablo, Rogue -

"Not enough man - uh"

Bubbles
08-15-2011, 05:20 AM

I could never be pasty white and socially awkward enough to ever utter the words "Knee" and "Crow" back to back, so no danger there.

Anger
08-15-2011, 06:50 AM

nee-kro?

F those people.

Harrison
08-15-2011, 06:53 AM

I have never heard anyone mispronounce necromancer, or necro.

Drem
08-15-2011, 06:58 AM
thanks for sharing

Deadmantis
08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
nee-kro?

F those people.

Or the people that pronounce mithril as mee-thril. F them too.

AstyTZ
08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I knew a kid irl when I played on live 10ish years ago who said "pree-mal" instead of primal.

Goraxx
08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Its like when people pronounce tomato (toh-ma-to) to-may-to.

azeth
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
i pronounce it mah-nuh.

sorry, but man-uh sounds nean(ahn)derthal.

xshayla701
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

HI IM JANEQUIA BLACK KNEECROW (lolget it sounds like NEGRO??)

shut up doors

Felwithemagi
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Best not to ask how to pronounce 'melee' then...woops.

Kryptyde
08-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Not really...i manage to pronounce both correctly. Oh and while I'm nitpicking... it is better to use 'wrongly' instead of 'wrong' :D

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mana

mah-nah is correct. Surprised to see 90% of poll is incorrect.

Beschutzer
08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Man-nuh and mah-nuh are two separate words entirely.

Man-nuh is spelled "manna", while mah-nuh is spelled "mana".

Manna (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manna?show=0&t=1313420265)

Mana (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mana)

I've personally never called it "man-nuh"...

Ennoia
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I have never heard anyone mispronounce necromancer, or necro.

I have. My cousin does it constantly. He also spells magic with a 'K'.

Verenity
08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Vent really brings out all the crazy ways people pronounce things... I know people who pronounce mana "mah na," necro "knee crow," and even shuriken "shur eye kin." No joke... and that's only some of the crazy ways people say different things. Regionalism I guess

azeth
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Vent really brings out all the crazy ways people pronounce things... I know people who pronounce mana "mah na,"

yes it is indeed crazy some people pronounce this word correctly.

"knee-crow" is an abomination though, you might as well pronounce "wellness" as "wheelness" for all intents and pees.

Haul
08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
man - uh

baub
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
It's mah-nuh, so many uncivilized people here~

guineapig
08-15-2011, 12:36 PM
The word mana has been around for thousands of years. In most languages each vowel has but 1 sound. English is one of the few exceptions where a vowel can sound completely different from itself when occurring twice in the same word.

Since mana is not english in origin the 2 A's should both sound the same.

guineapig
08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
In other words: mah - nuh is correct.

azeth
08-15-2011, 12:38 PM
The word mana has been around for thousands of years. In most languages each vowel has but 1 sound. English is one of the few exceptions where a vowel can sound completely different from itself when occurring twice in the same word.

hmm, so you're saying it should be pronounced Mah-nuh, as the letter A originated as an open back unrounded vowel as in the word "father".

guineapig
08-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Of the 2 options given in the poll Man-uh cannot be correct because you would have to pronounce the 2 A's differently from each other.

Don't speak ancient hebrew though so who knows what the vowel originally sounded like but you can bet the sound was always identical.

Dantes
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM

But it's 2011, and most of us DO speak American English. So it's man - uh.

Doors
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Of the 2 options given in the poll Man-uh cannot be correct because you would have to pronounce the 2 A's differently from each other.

Don't speak ancient hebrew though so who knows what the vowel originally sounded like but you can bet the sound was always identical.

I am actually fluent in ancient Hebrew and disagree with your statements.

guineapig
08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Well if you are spelling it manna then you would be correct.
But if you are spelling it mana then it's mah-nuh.

http://media.merriam-webster.com/soundc11/m/mana0001

Wait, that can't be right!

Honestly I am not even certain why there would be a change in the pronunciation between the 2 spellings. I tend not to trust online dictionary word pronunciations.

I am actually fluent in ancient Hebrew and disagree with your statements.

m-kay...

Dirtnap
08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I laugh when people bring up the shaman thing.

Shaman can be pronounced Shah-man or Shay-man. Its pronounced differently in different cultures.

Fourthmeal
08-15-2011, 02:43 PM
You say tomato i say tamoto

Mardur
08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

So do you pronounce it mah-nah or muh-nuh?

Glitch
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
omg, I remember listening to people's embarrassing American accents on ventrillo.

GLEEYACHH, I'M RUNNIN' OUTTA MAY-NAH, AH NEED A CLAYRITEE

Vohl
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ).

Mcbard
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I try to pronounce it mah - nuh as much as possible, but sometimes I don't and instead pronounce it man - uh. Is that strange?

I also try to say peri - doh as much as possible as well, but when I'm not paying attention I sometimes say peri - dot.

IT CANNOT BE FULLY UNLEARNED. EVERQUEST HAS MADE ME LESS SMART. :(

SyanideGas
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Man-uh ftw!

Kevlar
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
man-uh. any other pronunciation makes you sound like someone who enjoys chinnuts.

Slave
08-15-2011, 04:25 PM
This is like Spanish or Italian people who decide to turn on their full accents whenever they say one word from their native language.

I can't stand when people are speaking normally, and then say Par-meh-gan-o!

Mah-nuh just makes you sound like a douche.

Alex Trebec Syndrome.

And it's pronounced Neh-VA-duh. Not Neh-VAH-duh.

azeth
08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
man-uh. any other pronunciation makes you sound like someone who enjoys chinnuts.

to-mah-to implies you receive bags of tea, mah-nuh is just correct.

haters gonna

Ektar
08-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Vent really brings out all the crazy ways people pronounce things... I know people who pronounce mana "mah na," necro "knee crow," and even shuriken "shur eye kin." No joke... and that's only some of the crazy ways people say different things. Regionalism I guess

It is absolutely not regional. It's, like my example earlier on, just how you are first introduced to the word. MOST words are used in everyday language and you learn how to say them. With mana, I heard it first from Diablo, and I played rogue. She says "not enough man-uh" when you try to cast a spell and don't have enough mana. Henceforth, I pronounced the word that way.

As for the other abominations, it's because we see EQ in text and never hear the word otherwise. No game ever spoke "necromancer" and is never spoken elsewhere, so anyone never hearing it before had to make up the pronunciation. I, luckily, made it up correctly (more than just luck but I'l lgive people the benefit of the doubt). All other butchered words work this way. I still don't know how to say peridot correctly for sure. Never ever heard the word used from a reliable source, only other eq players who likely made up the pronunciation for himself like I did.

Excellio
08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Where's the option for the rare "May-nuh"?

Joyelle
08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
This is like Spanish or Italian people who decide to turn on their full accents whenever they say one word from their native language.

I can't stand when people are speaking normally, and then say Par-meh-gan-o!

Mah-nuh just makes you sound like a douche.

ugh gawd Giada De Laurentiis makes me nauseous doing this very thing while over enunciating every single word she says.

Seaweedpimp
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
fukin man nah~

Striiker
08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
All other butchered words work this way. I still don't know how to say peridot correctly for sure. Never ever heard the word used from a reliable source, only other eq players who likely made up the pronunciation for himself like I did.

I've heard it pronounced peri-doh on TV and from other non-EQ people. I always thought in my head it sounding like peri-dot. This is further cemented in my head when people ask for dots. The widely accepted pronunciation is peri-doh but we EQ'ers are a funny bunch and call them what ever we want. :)

xshayla701
08-16-2011, 10:27 AM
ugh gawd Giada De Laurentiis makes me nauseous doing this very thing while over enunciating every single word she says.

OMG i love you for knowing giada and hating the way she says italian words

quellren
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
You know why there's a debate of how to say it? BECAUSE NO ONE USES IT IN REAL LIFE.

Watching people argue over the pronunciation of a word that is virtually only ever used in one specific genre of video game is amusing to say the least.

Also, it's man-uh. I don't care how it was pronounced two thousand years ago, Mah-nuh makes you sound pretentious and uppity.

Jakanden
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I have always pronounced it "mah - nuh". No particular reason behind it although I can only assume that was how I first heard it.

jarshale
08-16-2011, 12:00 PM

I pronounce it "meh-lay". But honestly I have no idea.

also, "man-uh

bonehand
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Neither, it is phonetically, mah-nah...man-uh, is intolerable gibberish!

What makes this word most unique, is that it does not derive from a western language, nor even middle-eastern, both from which so much of our fantasy-roleplay-folklore has been interpretted. It is a concept taken from the Maori and other pacific islanders only recently. So, your Magi, Magus, or Wu didn't use Mana...

Ele
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Melee = May Lay, not Me-Lee
Mana = Man-Uh
Peridot = Pear-i-dot or Pear-i-dough, both are correct
sepulcher = sep-ul-ker, not se-pul-chur

Bubbles
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
HI IM JANEQUIA BLACK KNEECROW (lolget it sounds like NEGRO??)

shut up doors

lol you just blew my mind.

may-lay.

Altho mentally i say mee-lee a ton.. it has to be may lay if you put brainpower into it. which may be the crux of the issue at hand, come to think of it..