PDA

View Full Version : Class that requires the least skill

deakolt
08-19-2011, 02:51 AM
So what do you guys think requires the least skill?

Soloing - Magician

Grouping - Wizard/Magician

Dungeon Crawling - Wizard/Magician

Raiding - Toss up between Wizard/Magician probably

Feachie
08-19-2011, 02:54 AM
where's druid fall in this list? has to be on here somewhere

nalkin
08-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Magician you have to actively hit "send pet" cause people notice. Wizard dps is so bad you don't have to do anything. Even if you do you hit less buttons.

Wizard GMV

SearyxTZ
08-19-2011, 03:25 AM
English or PE

(LOL)

Nepenthe
08-19-2011, 03:30 AM
I think in a functioning group all classes require little skill. It's only when the poo hits the fan that skill is really needed.

That said I think dps melee have some of the lesser skill requirements. When things are going really bad there's typically not much they CAN do anyways. They either die trying to finish the mobs or save themselves and potentially let others die. Pretty simplistic imo.

Hasbinbad
08-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Rogues probably require less skill than quite a few classes, but certainly more than mages, and certainly require quite a bit more busy work. Rogue is probably the most busy class in the game as far as how many button presses you execute constantly throughout a group situation. It also takes a certain skill or mindset to be able to compensate for bad positioning, and a certain anticipatory knowledge to know when to not use backstab and when to back off autoattack.

Monks require a fucking ton of skill if they are going to pull and/or tank. I doubt anyone will argue that.

I dunno what melee dps you think have the "lesser skill requirements.."

Vermicelli
08-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Definitely mage. Between /pet attack and damage shield, they can phone in group participation and still do pretty well. Great mages are revealed when they put in the effort to play beyond this!

Feachie
08-19-2011, 03:55 AM
your avatar creeped me straight the fuck out, i thought the mushrooms were back :eek:

jarshale
08-19-2011, 05:31 AM
necro is pretty easy mode, at least in terms of outdoor kiting. slow+dot+pet attack, run in circles for a few minutes, repeat

tekniq
08-19-2011, 08:43 AM
mage is decently busy if you're in a group and charged with DS/malo duties, not to mention CoH, modrods, sending pet in and dding at the same time...but then again, that's a good mage.

greatdane
08-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Warrior: 95% auto-attack and 5% knowing the few tricks there are to the class. The things required to be a succesful warrior aren't really related to the class or skill, just overall game knowledge and resources. If you gear correctly and have a good grasp of the content and game mechanics, you have everything it takes to play a warrior. The class is so primitive that there's next to no room for skill to be a factor.

andvarion
08-19-2011, 10:51 AM
necro is pretty easy mode, at least in terms of outdoor kiting. slow+dot+pet attack, run in circles for a few minutes, repeat

Does fear kiting not work on this server?

Feachie
08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
it works quite well.

andvarion
08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
it works quite well.

Ok, I figured it would. I just haven't seen it done here personally, and all I ever seem to read about is necros running around letting mobs chase them while their pets beat on them.

I always think to myself, "Man they're idiots or fear doesn't work here."

Feachie
08-19-2011, 11:01 AM
if it's white con or higher i dont really try to fear, too inefficient due to resists so just aggro kite it. maybe that will improve with the next rank of the spell.

also, playing wow as any kind of pet class kinda fucks it up for playing a pet class here. wtb growl for my skel :(

nymphloa
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok, I figured it would. I just haven't seen it done here personally, and all I ever seem to read about is necros running around letting mobs chase them while their pets beat on them.

I always think to myself, "Man they're idiots or fear doesn't work here."

Fear kiting has its place, used mainly by those who have not yet mastered how to kite correctly :p

Necro Fear kiting Vs Necro standard kiting

I'm off to the pub...you guys work it out

Snaggles
08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Rogue. It's basically mashing a few buttons and bragging about backstabs.

Until the team/raid dies you don't know how good the rogue is (corpse retrieval).

Cymeon
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I dont think wizard is easy at all. you have to time your spells depending on the tank and how he is holding aggro for starters. You have to be able to judge the length of the fight and how many spells you can cast with enough time to regen before the next fight. You need to know the different resistances of various mobs to know which spell to cast. And you need to be able to tab out and watch netflix while meditating with the ability to pop back in and nuke without your group/raid knowing.

Dr4z3r
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
And you need to be able to tab out and watch netflix while meditating with the ability to pop back in and nuke without your group/raid knowing.

Is having a 2nd monitor cheating?

Atmas
08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
So what do you guys think requires the least skill?

Soloing - Magician

Grouping - Wizard/Magician

Dungeon Crawling - Wizard/Magician

Raiding - Toss up between Wizard/Magician probably

This list makes it look like you either never played a wizard or never played with a good one.

A good wiz in addition to nuking will have stuns up to prevent heals, be rooting for CC if other CC isn't available, and be on point for evacs. The timing of an evac will either have the group loving you when you save their shit or hating you when most of them died or they felt the situation was controllable.

I've played Rogues live and here, they may have more button pushes but it certainly isn't as skillful. Most melee unless pulling just autoattack and tap the same button repeatedly when it pops.

azeth
08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
lol at the tag "video game skill lol"

you're aware there are other video games apart from MMORPG's right?

Anger
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Rogues probably require less skill than quite a few classes, but certainly more than mages, and certainly require quite a bit more busy work. Rogue is probably the most busy class in the game as far as how many button presses you execute constantly throughout a group situation. It also takes a certain skill or mindset to be able to compensate for bad positioning, and a certain anticipatory knowledge to know when to not use backstab and when to back off autoattack.

Monks require a fucking ton of skill if they are going to pull and/or tank. I doubt anyone will argue that.

Most button presses? Im gonna go with shaman.

Kope
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Most button presses? Im gonna go with shaman.

Um bard?

Anger
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Um bard?

nobody likes silly fairy men

deakolt
08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
This list makes it look like you either never played a wizard or never played with a good one.

A good wiz in addition to nuking will have stuns up to prevent heals, be rooting for CC if other CC isn't available, and be on point for evacs. The timing of an evac will either have the group loving you when you save their shit or hating you when most of them died or they felt the situation was controllable.

I've played Rogues live and here, they may have more button pushes but it certainly isn't as skillful. Most melee unless pulling just autoattack and tap the same button repeatedly when it pops.

you're right i've never played a wizard and never noticed a good one. maybe the list should be all magician then.

with regards to rogues, my thought was that melee positioning takes a modicum of skill to not fuck up and thus they're more difficult than mages/wizards

well actually i think wizard/mage is still a toss up for raiding. Maybe wizards take more skill in a group/dungeon crawl setting since they have to be ready to cast the evac spell. However, any decent group is gonna have CC and probably caster interrupt coming from other sources

ps you play a wizard huh

Atmas
08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
you're right i've never played a wizard and never noticed a good one. maybe the list should be all magician then.

with regards to rogues, my thought was that melee positioning takes a modicum of skill to not fuck up and thus they're more difficult than mages/wizards

well actually i think wizard/mage is still a toss up for raiding. Maybe wizards take more skill in a group/dungeon crawl setting since they have to be ready to cast the evac spell. However, any decent group is gonna have CC and probably caster interrupt coming from other sources

ps you play a wizard huh

My main on live and here have been wizards with a vast majority of my time spent on them, but between friends and alts I've played pretty much everything a decent amount except Bards, Shamans, Berserkers, and BST Lords. Even then I've played those some.

Rogues and Palies are my most enjoyed classes after Wizards and I have never really found them difficult to play. Positioning for Rogues doesn't really have any difficulty, though it can become tiresome if you are doing a kiting situation.

Wizard work was pretty chill on raids, I can't deny that. Toughest stuff was probably applying the right amount of concussions. A few oddball things later on like disentegrate this or that. But basically DPS work was just kill stuff. Even for tanks if you werent main tank and stuff wasn't being offtanked it was just attack this or that.

Feachie
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
i'm sure wizards are like anything else. any jackass can nuke, but it takes skill to balance your threat on the knives edge of pulling aggro off your tank so that you achieve maximum dps.

Mcbard
08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Rogue is probably the most busy class in the game as far as how many button presses you execute constantly throughout a group situation.

Come at me.

greatdane
08-20-2011, 02:51 AM
i'm sure wizards are like anything else. any jackass can nuke, but it takes skill to balance your threat on the knives edge of pulling aggro off your tank so that you achieve maximum dps.

No, no. A wizard just has to make sure he doesn't waste half of his nuke by casting it when the mob is at 15% health. Unlike dots and debuffs, there's no beenfit to nuking as early as possible, so there's no threat balance - you just wait until you know you won't take aggro from nuking. You'll never have enough mana to nuke every mob more than once anyway, unless the pulls are coming so slow that it can barely be considered grouping.

Biffins
08-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Have any of you actually played this game before?

koragashi
08-20-2011, 12:42 PM
rangers can afk level , true story =/

Vladesch
08-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Fear kiting has its place, used mainly by those who have not yet mastered how to kite correctly :p

Fear kiting, used mainly by those that like to get full damage from their dots, and prefer to sit down and med up mana.

Not sure if people are clueless here, or deliberately post crap to slow down the competition. I suspect the latter.

vageta31
08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I seriously don't think some peeps on here have any idea what they're talking about with the clueless tactical comments.

Fear kiting is the absolute best way to kite.. far superior to a standard Druid kite who burns all his mana to kill 4 mobs then has to afk med and browse the boards. My iksar Necro can pretty much chain pull non stop in the OT without having to stop for a med break unless I get too many resists, and it only gets easier each level. Even then I never med to full, that's for sissies. In fact if I have at least 25% mana I will begin pulling and if the resists are low I will slowly gain mana throughout the fights.

Fear kiting is simple, it's learning the most efficient method with little down time that takes a bit of skill and tactics. Here is my fave method in OT.

1. Keep casting a pet until you get the max for your level. Do this around others in different level ranges so they can help identify it's level by cons.

2. Give the pet the lowest delay weaps you can manage, FS daggers are great. If you want to go all out then the whips and daggers from paw or nice.

3. Keep lich line up at all times and if your health gets too low then lifetap to heal.

4. Personally I like to pet pull and run back to the edge of the zone. Send in pet to get mobs attention while you head for your fear spot(you have to be close enough for pet to attack). I literally hit pet attack and head in the other direction and as soon as I see the mobs or pets health drop I instantly pet back off in which the mob comes after me. Soon as I hit my spot I sit and wait and hopefully get one tick of mana regen. When mob gets close enough in casting range I start my darkness cast and tell the pet to attack. Mob stops at pet and I get a free chance to land a darkness without getting hit. Throw on a fear and sit back down and med until fear wears off.

Trick is figuring out the most efficient way to kill the mob. Simply use darkness/fear and pet for damage? Or do you throw on a heat/boil blood as well so it dies faster but at a cost of more mana? I also keep engulfing darkness mem'd at all times incase the other wears off. Lets me slow it back down without burning all the mana for dooming. If I get an add I just snare/fear it while pet beats down the other one. I've easily handled 4 mobs at once though it does eat on the mana when it happens and I prefer not to have to do it.

Shamans also require a bit of knowledge to play well depending on play style. I'm all out battle shaman with my Ogre and continued that playstyle to 50 even tanking Specters and AoF when needbe. Haven't played him in awhile and I doubt I could do this efficiently in Kunark, but if I upgraded his gear it'd be an option. With canni dance, pet control and all the buffs you at least won't be bored with all the button pressing.

beentheredonethat
08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
from my experience to just play every class doesnt require much. to play well, all classes require a lot of skill.

stormlord
08-20-2011, 03:12 PM
It depends what you're doing.

If you're grouping then a pure melee is simple. The only trying aspect is that you have to click a button over and over again. That requires a certain amount of tolerance for repetitive actions and twitch skill (response time). Rogues, for example, have to click Backstab over and over. I'm not sure if they can kick. They may have a hotkey for pickpocket too. They have to make sure they're behind the mob. Other than that, not much. Even a ranger, a class with many tools, is usually only doing melee in a group. They have to click kick and sometimes taunt. They may sometimes cast a dot, but dots aren't very effective in a group because the mob dies before they wear off. Even though it's relatively simple, it does require you to be at your keyboard.

I think most of the classes in a group situation will routinely do similar things but when things get hard some of them have an array of tools that keep things interesting and less simplistic. Other classes can only really run or die. Druids, for example, might be casting direct damage spells in-between medding. But if things get hard, they may need to be a secondary healer or do some crowd control activities. A warrior, on the other hand, may sacrifice himself to help a caster, but other than that, he only really can run for safety.

I think for hte most part that's how it's in groups. But I suppose it depends what you're doing. A chanter, for example, has to worry about keeping people buffed, slowing mobs, mezzing when necessary, watching where their pet goes, debuffing, and so on. On live, when I was doing the OMMs, I think the chanter probably had the broadest list of things to do. I found myself casting damage spells, mezzing and memblur, casting invis, slowing, buffing, and so on. The complexity is what really made it so entertaining but also the most challenging. But that was because we were constantly moving and never camped anything like we do on this server. I think the reason we end up doing similar things over and over is because we camp a lot - it's predictable.

Solooing, on the other hand, can force people to use every possible tool or trick available. I think this is where things get interesting. Even a warrior will start using their bow and paying more attention to aggro ranges and so on. They'll use bind wound and use the potions if htey have the moeny. But I think necromancers and druids and rangers and other soloers probably have the most complex roles in a solo setting. It's mainly simply a factor of having more tools available than more group-dependent classes. More tools means you need to know when to use them and where. All sorts of situations can confront you. More tools make it interesting.

I've always felt that a class isn't a class unless it has lots of tools. I don't think that specializing in one area and making a class dominate it will be interesting because when you do that you cut out a lot of the tools that're needed to make things interesting. In a skill-based game, how this works is a lot easier to understand. Essentiallly, if you have 10 skills and you have 300 skill points to distribute, then you can have 30 in each skill or you can max 3 of them, but not all of them. If you you limit yourself to just a few very good skills then you won't have as many things to do. That might make the game-play boring. That's how I look at it. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. But it depends on how complicated each skill is. Usually skills in games are fairly simple. You have to have a lot of them before things even get remotely interesting.

But I guess that depends on the game content. If content is balanced and thorough, then most any combination of skills will do the job. For example, if you put your skill points into rogue skills AND traditional combat skills then maybe you could assassinate the bodyguard outside and sneak inside the compound and steal the boss's loot without having to kill him (avoiding the requirement of needing high defense/offense). Or maybe you put your skills into charm and personality and you talk your way passed the bodyguard or show him a fabricated writ. Then slip a toxin into the boss's drink while the advisor is outside speaking with the counselor. Then when you're on your way out the guards are alerted and start arresting everyone. While entering an alleyway a guard stops you and says you must come in for questioning. You kill him with your meager combat skills then hide the body and hastily go to the sewers to get out of the city before they can catch you. There should be lots of ways to do a task, not just one based on tank + healer + dps. I'd prefer using 10 different skills with 30 in each and having to form complex answers over using only 3 over and over.

Hailto
08-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Honestly, the only games that i really consider to require "skill" are RTS and FPS games. MMORPGS for the most part don't require skill, anyone can play them well once you learn what you are supposed to do. A RTS on the other hand, you actually have to have a certain amount of talent at that to be good, doesn't matter how much you know about the game, same with FPS.

Seaweedpimp
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I seriously don't think some peeps on here have any idea what they're talking about with the clueless tactical comments.

Oh the irony.

Some of your "tactics" are spot on. But some of it is not true at all.

Mainly the weapon delay on pets. All 1h weapons are going to have the same delay for your pet.

Feachie
08-20-2011, 03:44 PM
No, no. A wizard just has to make sure he doesn't waste half of his nuke by casting it when the mob is at 15% health. Unlike dots and debuffs, there's no beenfit to nuking as early as possible, so there's no threat balance - you just wait until you know you won't take aggro from nuking. You'll never have enough mana to nuke every mob more than once anyway, unless the pulls are coming so slow that it can barely be considered grouping.

calm down buddy. i wasn't talking about wiz in a grouping context, i should have been specific sorry.

vageta31
08-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh the irony.

Some of your "tactics" are spot on. But some of it is not true at all.

Mainly the weapon delay on pets. All 1h weapons are going to have the same delay for your pet.

Well to be honest I hadn't parsed the data, I was going on assumption due to my memory of how it used to be. If this is true then it's great news as I don't have to worry about what weapons I have laying around to give to my pet.

Is this working as intended or a bug? Maybe my memory is foggy but I was quite sure in classic that weapon delay mattered at some point.

If not my bad, scratch that part. Give your pet rusty war hammers :)

Convict
08-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Well to be honest I hadn't parsed the data, I was going on assumption due to my memory of how it used to be. If this is true then it's great news as I don't have to save worry about what weapons I have laying around to give to my pet.

Is this working as intended or a bug? Maybe my memory is foggy but I was quite sure in classic that weapon delay mattered at some point.

If not my bad, scratch that part. Give your pet rusty war hammers :)
It was that way on live but it was considered a bug and nerfed at some point. It was never implemented here.

I distinctly remember fs daggers turning pets beastmode back in the day.

vageta31
08-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Honestly, the only games that i really consider to require "skill" are RTS and FPS games. MMORPGS for the most part don't require skill, anyone can play them well once you learn what you are supposed to do. A RTS on the other hand, you actually have to have a certain amount of talent at that to be good, doesn't matter how much you know about the game, same with FPS.

I believe you call those "twitch" skills right? I agree to some point but there is certainly some skill required to do certain things in EQ, though it's more of a strategy based approach than pure manual dexterity. Fear kiting in south karana is child's play, taking your level 50 necro down to lower guk(classic only) and soloing the frenzied ghoul camp takes some balls and a good game plan. I highly doubt your average necro could pull this off without dying a ton unless they really learned the ins and outs of their class beforehand to use all the tools at their disposal. I would guess that some could never pull it off reliably and would give up long before they figured it out.

Same goes for any kind of solo adventure in a dangerous area. Almost any caster can solo things outdoors by simply running away from the mob and aggro/fear/root fighting it. In a dungeon it takes a bit more tact and the ability to not panic when things go wrong. Your average players does what an average person does in a dangerous situation. RUN!... even though they probably won't make it out hehe. Some of my best times in classic EQ was taking my level 50 Druid down into dungeons and attempting to camp things I shouldn't be able to do. Testing pull spots and pathing, trying different tactics, etc... and usually I bit the dust a few times. But when I finally worked out the method it was very rewarding. Druid's weren't that great at indoor solo farming but I made the best of it. Had I known the awesomeness of a Shaman back then I'm sure I would have pulled off some more risky things.

vageta31
08-20-2011, 04:09 PM
It was that way on live but it was considered a bug and nerfed at some point. It was never implemented here.

I distinctly remember fs daggers turning pets beastmode back in the day.

And there's my problem.. I played EQ from late beta into late classic before Kunark. Of course I came back and left a few times in between, but my knowledge of classic has a lot of the "bugs" that got fixed later. We're talking the time when harmony was broken, snare lasted longer than ensnare(I used to quad kite with snare which was a bit of work), lifetap had no max level range for resists(quickly fixed after a bunch of low level necros were swarm killing sand giants haha), monks could wear rubicite, etc.. It's been a long while but I'm pretty sure Shamans were initially able to use charm but it was taken away. I distinctly remember that bastard Chief Goonda charming me on several occasions so maybe it was an npc only thing.

Bubbles
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Wait, there's yet another thread with the level 30 necros in OT telling the level 60 ones how to play the class most effectively?

vageta31
08-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Wait, there's yet another thread with the level 30 necros in OT telling the level 60 ones how to play the class most effectively?

Hmm let's not forget that some of the level 30 necro's in OT were most likely level 60 necros in a past life and may have more experience that some of the level 60 necros on this server that haven't played one before. That goes for ANY class, and I know many people are playing classes they never did the first time around. How many people on this server are actually complete EQ newbies? It's like riding a bike, when you put 100's or 1000's of hours into a game, or specifically into a single class it's not like you have to relearn the entire game again so that experience is still there...

Also the subject was about what class takes the least skill.. I'm assuming that wasn't aimed directly at level 60 game play and was in general over the span of 1 to 60.

Feachie
08-21-2011, 05:26 PM
this subject is actually for the least skill. there is a thread for the most skill somewhere else.

vageta31
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
this subject is actually for the least skill. there is a thread for the most skill somewhere else.

You're right, my bad. Fixed above ^^. I meant that but was typing in a hurry. Point mostly being that it's a somewhat subjective question. Least skill to level up with the least risk and effort possible? Or least skill to achieve the highest rewards possible for your class. My necro tactic was meant to illustrate that "fear kiting" in itself is a basic skill capable by most anyone, but higher skill can be used to improve upon the tactics effectiveness.

Short answer. Mages and warriors. Not because they can't be played with skill and do things most would think not possible, but less skill for the average player to function in a normal grouping/solo situation. Raids and crafty solo tactics not included.

stormlord
08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
My vote for least skill would be warrior because they have so few tools. But mastering the warrior class is not so easy. Neither is it easy to master any class in this game. For example, some warriors will stupidly invest in heal procs rather than in aggro procs. Or they might invest in stat gear rather than ac gear - bad choice for a warrior unless the stats are ungodly. It's good to have those things sometimes for soloing, though. A good warrior will have a set of gear for soloing and another for grouping, and gear that's on-call.

I think that the question should not be: can this class solo?

I think the question should have been (in 1999): is it fun to play a class that does not have lots of different tools, and if not, should we make the class anyway, if a minority likes it that way?

Because the way I see it, a class can solo well, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will have lots of tools. For example, you could increase the offense/defense of a class so that it can kill up to 4 creatures at once. That will allow it to solo well, in most cases. But it won't have very many tools. It'll be very grindy. In my view, tools keep things interesting. It varies the gameplay. That's necessary, imho. This should be important.

I think they went too far with the group/solo extremes. If it were me, I think I would have given all classes a base skill cap of 50 for all skills in the game. Or something like that, making sure that specialized classes still are experts in their chosen field. But even a base amount of skill should have its uses. So this means every class could track, but not very well. They could all FD, but not well. They could all heal too, though they might fizzle a lot on higher level spells. I think it would have made things a lot more interesting.

The advantage I see to a class system is that it gives new players a path to follow. It's a convenient way to roleplay a class without having to worry too much about the details. It also allows you to search for group members of a particular specialization much quicker. So rather than "/shout Anybody: 100 alteration, 100 defense, 100 1h slashing, 100 meditation, uses shield, etc LFG?" you might instead say "Any paladins LFG?" So if you see someone on the road, a quick /who tells you their skillset. Very useful for communication.

beentheredonethat
08-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Fear kiting is the absolute best way to kite.. far superior to a standard Druid kite who burns all his mana to kill 4 mobs then has to afk med and browse the boards. My iksar Necro can pretty much chain pull non stop in the OT without having to stop for a med break unless I get too many resists, and it only gets easier each level. Even then I never med to full, that's for sissies. In fact if I have at least 25% mana I will begin pulling and if the resists are low I will slowly gain mana throughout the fights.

Fear kiting is simple, it's learning the most efficient method with little down time that takes a bit of skill and tactics. Here is my fave method in OT.

1. Keep casting a pet until you get the max for your level. Do this around others in different level ranges so they can help identify it's level by cons.

2. Give the pet the lowest delay weaps you can manage, FS daggers are great. If you want to go all out then the whips and daggers from paw or nice.

3. Keep lich line up at all times and if your health gets too low then lifetap to heal.

4. Personally I like to pet pull and run back to the edge of the zone. Send in pet to get mobs attention while you head for your fear spot(you have to be close enough for pet to attack). I literally hit pet attack and head in the other direction and as soon as I see the mobs or pets health drop I instantly pet back off in which the mob comes after me. Soon as I hit my spot I sit and wait and hopefully get one tick of mana regen. When mob gets close enough in casting range I start my darkness cast and tell the pet to attack. Mob stops at pet and I get a free chance to land a darkness without getting hit. Throw on a fear and sit back down and med until fear wears off.

Trick is figuring out the most efficient way to kill the mob. Simply use darkness/fear and pet for damage? Or do you throw on a heat/boil blood as well so it dies faster but at a cost of more mana? I also keep engulfing darkness mem'd at all times incase the other wears off. Lets me slow it back down without burning all the mana for dooming. If I get an add I just snare/fear it while pet beats down the other one. I've easily handled 4 mobs at once though it does eat on the mana when it happens and I prefer not to have to do it.

Shamans also require a bit of knowledge to play well depending on play style. I'm all out battle shaman with my Ogre and continued that playstyle to 50 even tanking Specters and AoF when needbe. Haven't played him in awhile and I doubt I could do this efficiently in Kunark, but if I upgraded his gear it'd be an option. With canni dance, pet control and all the buffs you at least won't be bored with all the button pressing.

its different for an SK a bit. for me it involved a pull with dots, snare came in later (didnt want it wearing off too early), fear and pummel. I was decently geared at 52, but could solo yellow giants in velious fairly easily.

stormlord
08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Btw, i used to fear kite in the wastelands next to great divide with my ranger. I was in my 40's or early 50's I think. But I had a problem with getting adds and/or misjudging my fear timing. Other than that it was fairly effective. But I certainly wasn't soloing yellows. That was probably 2002.

Moonface
08-21-2011, 09:17 PM

the only buttons your are pressing is auto attack on, back stab, auto attack off, pick pocket.. rinse and repeat. aside from your backstab nothing you press helps anyone but yourself.

EkireiTheNecro
08-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Id say a good wizard takes a decent amount of skill....or at least class knowledge...to play well.

Aggro management...mana management. **VERY** important and more so the higher level you become.

andvarion
08-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Maybe it works a bit differently here on P99, as I think mob pathing is different here than on live. But I never even had "spots" for fear kiting. Fear kiting was so ridiculously easy and OP, I literally just went. In whatever direction I saw mobs.

I remember fear kiting in OT from the outpost out into the middle of the zone until I ran into those two named scorpions.

In DL I fear kited all around Karnor, just out into the open. Same thing in Burning Woods and Skyfire. Same in Velious, Cobalt Scar, Wastes, etc.

I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is that fear kiting is simple, powerful, an unless emu mob pathing screws things up, it basically makes zones your playground. If you're a 60 Necro under the impression that regular kiting is superior to fear kiting. Then. Wow.

Macken
08-22-2011, 02:58 AM
Any pve class will take the least amount of skill.

To have a legitimate claim to skill you have to play on a pvp server.

Everyone knows this.

stormlord
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe it works a bit differently here on P99, as I think mob pathing is different here than on live. But I never even had "spots" for fear kiting. Fear kiting was so ridiculously easy and OP, I literally just went. In whatever direction I saw mobs.

I remember fear kiting in OT from the outpost out into the middle of the zone until I ran into those two named scorpions.

In DL I fear kited all around Karnor, just out into the open. Same thing in Burning Woods and Skyfire. Same in Velious, Cobalt Scar, Wastes, etc.

I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is that fear kiting is simple, powerful, an unless emu mob pathing screws things up, it basically makes zones your playground. If you're a 60 Necro under the impression that regular kiting is superior to fear kiting. Then. Wow.
I don't know about you. In 2002 I used to fear kite with my ranger in the wastelands. That's the zone across from Great Divide. I recall misjudging my cast time and getting adds as being problems. It was effective, but I had to watch my surroundings because it was rather easy to get an add if I wasn't looking. That's why I kited near the bridge after a while. That way if things got out of hand I could cross the bridge to zone out.

Hard to say really. Rangers aren't nearly as good tanks as SK's. So misjudging is an expensive mistake, especially if you're taking your chances on con. I recall doing rhinos and griffon-things.

Seaweedpimp
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't know about you. In 2002 I used to fear kite with my ranger in the wastelands. That's the zone across from Great Divide. I recall misjudging my cast time and getting adds as being problems. It was effective, but I had to watch my surroundings because it was rather easy to get an add if I wasn't looking. That's why I kited near the bridge after a while. That way if things got out of hand I could cross the bridge to zone out.

Hard to say really. Rangers aren't nearly as good tanks as SK's. So misjudging is an expensive mistake, especially if you're taking your chances on con. I recall doing rhinos and griffon-things.

Snow bunnies in east wastes?

Acillatem
08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
It's kind of a loaded question really. In a "well oiled machine" kind of group - I think ANY class is EZ mode. If the puller is doin his/her job, and you have singles, then the ENC class becomes nothing more than a buff-bot, CLR only hits CH when tank is at 40% etc, WIZ stands to nuke a couple of times, etc. It's just really brainless.

When shit hits the fan tho - I think it becomes more who's "skilled" at their class rather than "what class requires the least skill". I play a WIZ. If shit hits the fan......I've seen other WIZ just keep on nuking (just more)....

But then the good ones will help with CC, stun lock mobs if healer is lom, etc.

And that goes for any class. Sure a WAR can be just /auto attack and /taunt....but then there are those who manage mob positioning, know when to pop disciplines, smooth transition between mezzed mobs etc.

I also look at who takes the time to self-sufficient themselves. ie SoW pots, Invis pots, ITU pots, OT Hammer, etc.

"Skill" is a broad definition and thus will garnish many varied opinions on what is and isn't considered "skill".

beentheredonethat
08-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Btw, i used to fear kite in the wastelands next to great divide with my ranger. I was in my 40's or early 50's I think. But I had a problem with getting adds and/or misjudging my fear timing. Other than that it was fairly effective. But I certainly wasn't soloing yellows. That was probably 2002.

I was really well geared, thats probably why I could take on yellows at 52 with very little downtime between fights.

Without gear I'd probably have to stick to blues as well.

Vladesch
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Calling out deliberate misinformation.
Seriously, think about what is being said.

Are you a necro that agro kites and thinks it is more efficient?

Feachie
08-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Snow bunnies in east wastes?

prolly ulthorks and stuff, kinda southwestish in the zone, west of the bridge.

Messianic
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM

I remember animal fear making leveling as a ranger easymode...Sure, bad stuff could happen in a zone with a crapton of wanderers like EW, but usually I found sweet spots where I knew the fear pathing perfectly and simply wouldn't get adds.