PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good class to start with?

beentheredonethat
08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi guys,

I recently found P1999 and been excited of giving it a try. I used to play EQ back in the days, but quit around time frogs were introduced.

Not knowing the server dynamic of P1999 server, etc... whats a good choice for a class out there? Is it fairly easy to find groups, are there a lot of players? Do people hang out mainly in EC still?

I'll take any advice,

Thanks a lot.

azeth
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
guarantee yourself a group with -

SK
Cleric
Enchanter
Paladin
Monk
Rogue

enjoy yourself with -

Enchanter
Shaman
Necromancer
Rogue
Druid

challenge yourself with -

Enchanter
Bard
Cleric
Warrior

- Enchanter

Feachie
08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
play what you like imo,
grouping isn't too hard to come by in my experience so far (i'm lowish level and newish myself),
800ish players on peak times,
and yes for selling/buying/bitching

Kevlar
08-19-2011, 06:00 PM
For a first character you can't go wrong with druid. Not entirely overpowered, unless there are a lot of dark blue animals in your level range.

But it is the class that can do a little bit of everything. Also the best class to powerlevel up your friends/alts.

Savok
08-19-2011, 06:33 PM
guarantee yourself a group with -

SK
Cleric
Enchanter
Paladin
Monk
Rogue

enjoy yourself with -

Enchanter
Shaman
Necromancer
Rogue
Druid

challenge yourself with -

Enchanter
Bard
Cleric
Warrior

- Enchanter

No wizard love!

Iondera
08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Forever LFG with -

Ranger

deakolt
08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
mage, enchanter, necromancer, druid, shaman imo

Nepenthe
08-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Since you used to play you should know the basic tenets of each class. Pick a class that you either find fun or that you see yourself in. In other words a class / race combo that you enjoy the lore and backstory of.

I've known people that picked and loved paladins for instance just because they liked the idea of being a holy knight. I find if you get a character that you can relate to or enjoy that aspect of you're more likely to have some sort of attachment to it.

Rather than the typical..."play X class it's totally OP" jargon.

xshayla701
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
What did you play back then? It may be nice trip down memory lane to play the same class :) Clerics and tanks will find groups super easy.

beentheredonethat
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
What did you play back then? It may be nice trip down memory lane to play the same class :) Clerics and tanks will find groups super easy.

I started out as a monk back on rallos zek, it was a huge mistake for a beginner since I kept on getting mugged every 10 minutes or so. Most painful leveling experience ever. Later I traded my (by than lvl 53) monk for a bunch of plat on a non pvp server, twinked out a clerik and had a lot of fun grouping.

I ended up playing a lot with a clerik and a lot with an sk. clerik was for groups and sk for solo times.

Since I'm starting all over again I'll probably make a druid, seems like a good choice for starting from scratch.

Bubbles
08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I would say bards have little trouble finding groups low to mid levels.. have also yet to find a group mid level turn down a shaman for any reason. Mage too, if they aren't soloing. Low to mid levels you can't beat mage dps between shields and pet.

mala
08-21-2011, 05:21 PM
step 1. make mage
step 2. lvl to 49 (takes no time)
step 3. farm till your eyes bleed
step 4. make the class you actually want to play
step 5. profit

beentheredonethat
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I guess thats not a bad idea either. Getting from 3 to 4 on a druid is such a nightmare.

raptorak
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Guys I really want to play EQ again but am not sure if I can take the exp penalty - I played troll SK to 30 (bluebie) then again to 35 (tallon zek) and it just took forever with penalties. Any chance of removing some of the penalities?

How is the levelling on this server? Old EQ was fun but I have a life now (which means I have more than just EQ to play :P) so is there another server you might point me to?

BTW I played a private server a couple of years back that I believe emulated the Tallon Zek server, it seems to have disappeared. It allowed dual-boxing, was classic (for the most part) and had increased exp as I got to level 40 relatively quickly (2-3 days played or so).

Also do shadowknights get the lifetap spell? Classic EQ was great but not all of the changes made to the game were for the worse! (I quit when planes of power and the bazaar arrived - oh how I HATE fast travel in EQ)

Feachie
08-21-2011, 06:21 PM
doubtful they will remove the penalties, unless it's part of the patch timeline.

leveling is pretty fun here, i'm having a good time anyway, just don't take the forums seriously. i play a necro, groups in my 20's were fairly easy to find but if not there was always solo.

no boxing at all is allowed here. go meet people, i guess is what they want.

sk's do get lifetap, first rank at lv9.

beentheredonethat
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Guys I really want to play EQ again but am not sure if I can take the exp penalty - I played troll SK to 30 (bluebie) then again to 35 (tallon zek) and it just took forever with penalties. Any chance of removing some of the penalities?

How is the levelling on this server? Old EQ was fun but I have a life now (which means I have more than just EQ to play :P) so is there another server you might point me to?

BTW I played a private server a couple of years back that I believe emulated the Tallon Zek server, it seems to have disappeared. It allowed dual-boxing, was classic (for the most part) and had increased exp as I got to level 40 relatively quickly (2-3 days played or so).

Also do shadowknights get the lifetap spell? Classic EQ was great but not all of the changes made to the game were for the worse! (I quit when planes of power and the bazaar arrived - oh how I HATE fast travel in EQ)

I have only played for a few days. It's pretty fun if you get into groups, without groups though its' bit tough. Today someone brought their druid over to greater faydark and buffed newbies, it made leveling really fun.

I think EQ isn't about getting to max level fast, it's more about the adventure of getting there.

raptorak
08-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree in principle - but a 68% exp penalty is just miserable. :(

Feachie
08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
it's not the destination, it's the journey?

raptorak
08-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Been there done that just don't want it to take quite as long as before - the 40% exp penalty was always harsh, one of the main reasons it was removed (and removed even before they ruined the game).

Anyway, I probably won't be playing until the class based penalties are removed - P1999 can't possibly have the number of lowbies necessary to make "the journey" anything like what it was, and tbqh, levelling was far too slow even with that.

bakkily
08-22-2011, 04:05 AM
yea feachie, its more of the journey what makes things feel more accomplished, and to me more fun

but it depends, some like to rush things to the destination asap to be the "they think they are " the elite, though as far as TR goes, times ive never been fond of them, because of word of mouth, but every member i've met was pretty cool

Vondra
08-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Been there done that just don't want it to take quite as long as before - the 40% exp penalty was always harsh, one of the main reasons it was removed (and removed even before they ruined the game).

Anyway, I probably won't be playing until the class based penalties are removed - P1999 can't possibly have the number of lowbies necessary to make "the journey" anything like what it was, and tbqh, levelling was far too slow even with that.

You'd be surprised just how many people there are to group with as a new player. People make a LOT of alts here, more than you'd expect. It's really no problem at all to group consistently up to at least 40 before you have to put any effort in.

You'll also be surprised at just how many people you meet along the way, early on, that happen to also be new to the server. It isn't all alts you meet.

As for leveling being too slow, it isn't as slow. Why? Even though I said it isn't all alts you meet, you'll certainly meet quite a few. They'll be geared. You'll level quicker grouped with them.

The only real reason not to play here would be "I don't want to play Everquest". It works quite smoothly and naturally whether you're new to the server or not.

It is recommended to play some sort of caster your first time around though, simply because they don't rely on gear nearly as much. Then you can get a bank of money going and start some melee character to twink (If you want to)