PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Yellow Text

Cwall
08-25-2011, 04:11 AM
Trying to see actual numbers on what the community prefers.

Not necessarily trying to see what people think the server SHOULD have, but instead what they would enjoy personally, so vote on that.

Discussing both of those, though, is fine, as long as shit stays on topic.

Salty
08-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Big things

Pudge
08-25-2011, 04:22 AM
voted serverwide. though zonewide would be a good compromise, i guess..

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 04:24 AM
IF YOU VOTE AGAINST THIS WE WILL FUCKING KILL YOU REPEATEDLY ON THIS PVP SERVER YOU BETTER FUCKING VOTE FOR THE SERVERWIDE OPTION OR *ELSE*

Thank you.

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/goodfellasn.jpg

Nimblerot
08-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Server wide. Don't be scared, relax. Enjoy it.

bakkily
08-25-2011, 04:26 AM
lol, just better get your pvp skills straight

Nimblerot
08-25-2011, 04:30 AM
One thing I would like to hear is the opinion of someone who has played on a legit (well, as legit as an emu can be) pvp server that has had YT and is against it, and why. I feel like most of the people against it are people who have never experienced how awesome it is.

vinx
08-25-2011, 04:36 AM
One thing I would like to hear is the opinion of someone who has played on a legit (well, as legit as an emu can be) pvp server that has had YT and is against it, and why. I feel like most of the people against it are people who have never experienced how awesome it is.
Im not against it.. but im not for it here
and i prolly wont vote in the poll lol

from what i remember on live..it was cool to see who killed who and was fun when you could tell which guilds were starting to engage each other.
thats bout all.. could see who the PKs were
altho they already made a rep for themselves before YT was in so no news there.

but this isnt live
and imo i think the Pks and griefers wanting to broadcast their name will chase what small population there is to be had here
therefore i opt out

srsly.. vz/tz had like what? 70-150 players online (boxing)
and this server will have NO boxing

realistically the NO boxing will draw some in, but im still guessin the same 70-150 server count (im hopeing higher)
do you really want to hinder that in anyway?

Nimblerot
08-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Im not against it.. but im not for it here
and i prolly wont vote in the poll lol

from what i remember on live..it was cool to see who killed who and was fun when you could tell which guilds were starting to engage each other.
thats bout all.. could see who the PKs were
altho they already made a rep for themselves before YT was in so no news there.

but this isnt live
and imo i think the Pks and griefers wanting to boradcast their name will chase what small population there is to be had here
therefore i opt out

srsly.. vz/tz had like what? 70-150 players online (boxing)
and this server will have NO boxing

realistically the NO boxing will draw some in but still im guessin the same 70-150 server count (im hopeing higher)
do you really want to hinder that in anyway?

VZTZ In it's prime had many more than 70-150 players. Yellow text isn't like a leaderboard, which I agree actively encourages people to do stupid shit that they usually wouldn't do. YT, for me, is a perfect compromise between a leaderboard and no form of tracking: it doesn't keep tally, but alerts people that pvp is happening, where and between who. It encourages healthy pvp and I don't think ever was the reason someone went out of their way to grief someone that I can remember.

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 04:48 AM
VZTZ hit 330 concurrent at its peak, although it did allow 2boxing

the broadcasts (and global chat) helped the server feel alive and active, and IMO is one of the only "non-classic" things about any emu pvp servers that really worked

I think what will hinder pop is starting out in a zone with a handful of players in it, and not hearing anything from anyone for a long long time. The forums will become the new venue for trash talk and competition - it will just be less convenient and intuitive than if YT and global chat were in. I always felt like part of what made EQ PvP so great was the ability to freely communicate with eachother.

The only reason Verant didn't do it was because their servers actually had 1000+ people playing at the same time so logistically it wasn't possible because of the spam it would generate

vinx
08-25-2011, 04:50 AM
VZTZ In it's prime had many more than 70-150 players. Yellow text isn't like a leaderboard, which I agree actively encourages people to do stupid shit that they usually wouldn't do. YT, for me, is a perfect compromise between a leaderboard and no form of tracking: it doesn't keep tally, but alerts people that pvp is happening, where and between who. It encourages healthy pvp and I don't think ever was the reason someone went out of their way to grief someone that I can remember.
yea i know, i started playin emu servers before vz/tz (i think)
i think the only pvp server was guild wars or somethin like that /shrug

but yea, no YT/leaderboard (even tho i suggested LB in another thread before) are just my opinions and would like to see R99 > vz/tz versions 1,0/2,0/3.0/4.0/5.0 etc etc

Misto
08-25-2011, 09:52 AM
The main problem people have with Yellow text is the bullshit that follows with it in global OOC.

server wide yellow text / no global ooc

Rogean
08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
If the reasoning for the broadcasts is to promote pvp awareness and not ego stroking then why not have a system in place that broadcasts big pvp battles. If several deaths occur in the same zone it could mention that there has/is a battle occurring in the zone with x players involved. Possibly mention guild names if it's a definitive guild vs guild.

Just trying to come up with ideas as a compromise.

Littlegyno
08-25-2011, 10:26 AM
If the reasoning for the broadcasts is to promote pvp awareness and not ego stroking then why not have a system in place that broadcasts big pvp battles. If several deaths occur in the same zone it could mention that there has/is a battle occurring in the zone with x players involved. Possibly mention guild names if it's a definitive guild vs guild.

That is actually a good idea Emperor Rogean.

johnny ringo
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM

this is a great idea

lethdar
08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Serverwide message: It begins to rain blood in crushbone. etc?

Convict
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

I could definitely get behind this.

Also I liked your idea of quake sounds or w/e.
Maybe a server-wide broadcast if a player gets x amount of kills in a row with no deaths? "Soandso is on a RAMPAGE"

dusk883
08-25-2011, 11:13 AM
All for it, I remember TZ took it off for most of the time the server was around when I played but it was great fun to see a friend or whoever highlited in yellow. Of course, I bet this adds to CR kills but whatever. It's a good way to see who is where when you're hunting anonymous people.

Doors
08-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Rogean with a decent idea. YT basically did that but was 1 for 1 kills. Like a system that is only broadcasting big fights I could live with.

Crenshinabon
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Maybe a server-wide broadcast if a player gets x amount of kills in a row with no deaths? "Soandso is on a RAMPAGE"

Only if they have killed different people, so some corpse camping scrub doesn't look bad ass.

Also to program a system where a few kills happens in a certain timeframe or if more than 10 people are all pvping at once, where it says "There is action happening in . . ." Or whatever would be very awesome.

Seems like great compromise.

dusk883
08-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Announcing bigger "battles" is much better IMO..this produces more chances at making zone fights even bigger. The biggest memories I have are in the Karanas where we had 100 people sometimes fighting each other, darkies on one side, lighties on the other.... all started by some argument over the treant camp lol

Went on for many hours!

Roag the Gentleman
08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes, please spam me with shit I don't care about.

juicedsixfo
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Not like it matters, it's not happening.

juicedsixfo
08-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, please spam me with shit I don't care about.

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me you don't keep a pad and pencil next to your keyboard to make notes about the obviously awesome guy who just got some yellow text?

Guybrush
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't like the idea of yellow announcements when someone dies at all, it cheapens the world.
Imagine walking through a dark forest, all is quiet. You see a lump on the path ahead and cautiously move forward to investigate - Oh god it's a CORPSE!
You check the timer and find that the unlucky adventurer died 4 minutes ago. You do a quick /who - there are 5 people in zone. Is one of them the killer? Or did a wild animal get him? Suddenly your hair stands on end - Did you hear footsteps? You turn to head back to the zoneline anOHGODHESBEHINDYOU

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT

Maybe I'm just a weirdo

dusk883
08-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't like the idea of yellow announcements when someone dies at all, it cheapens the world.
Imagine walking through a dark forest, all is quiet. You see a lump on the path ahead and cautiously move forward to investigate - Oh god it's a CORPSE!
You check the timer and find that the unlucky adventurer died 4 minutes ago. You do a quick /who - there are 5 people in zone. Is one of them the killer? Or did a wild animal get him? Suddenly your hair stands on end - Did you hear footsteps? You turn to head back to the zoneline anOHGODHESBEHINDYOU

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT

Maybe I'm just a weirdo

makes 2 of us although I like yellow text idea of announcing bigger battles happening. Anything to inform us of something bigger brewing that we can be a part of.

juicedsixfo
08-25-2011, 02:57 PM
makes 2 of us although I like yellow text idea of announcing bigger battles happening. Anything to inform us of something bigger brewing that we can be a part of.

How about if two guilds /guildwar eachother, yellow text can be enabled.

Harrison
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=374067&postcount=8

I voted for zonewide, however. It makes the most sense.

Convict
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
another great idea

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT

Maybe I'm just a weirdo

Imagine if you stopped roleplaying and a giant ogre in multicolored armor with a skeleton pal harm touched ur fucking face and a yellow text broadcast from the Sleeper (or some other lore bullshit) announced your untimely demise

Pudge
08-25-2011, 04:04 PM

this please. plsplspls. such a good idea. full YT if guilds /guildwar! names/location included

in addition to the "big battle" text.

Extunarian
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I voted no at first but I would be all for the guildwar/big battle YT. If the population is decent I'm just not gonna give a crap about random guy 1 killing random guy 2.

Vile
08-25-2011, 04:15 PM
How about if over X, let's say 6 for now -- a full group, of guild A & B are in 1 zone it enables the YT?

juicedsixfo
08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
That seems like it could get complicated, but who knows. I'm against yellow text for a handful of reasons, but I would support a mass /guildwar enabling yellow text. Maybe just up the duration of /guildwar to a week instead of a day.

I heard the guildwar command acts funny on Emu servers, but it ~seems~ possible to make a command for announcing kills through it.

Guybrush
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Imagine if you stopped roleplaying and a giant ogre in multicolored armor with a skeleton pal harm touched ur fucking face and a yellow text broadcast from the Sleeper (or some other lore bullshit) announced your untimely demise

The sleeper is far too busy sleeping to make announcements about people being murdered. Did you even TRY to make a plausible Roleplay scenario???

Scribbles
08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
i think YT as it was on vztz should be in- pvp with no item loot/lb is all about reputation and seeing who is killing who is the main way those come about

edit- maybe a feature on the website that would list all kills, so it wouldnt be in the ingame chat but oyu could still see?

Cwall
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM

I think this idea is pretty cool. Maybe zonewide yellow text to keep track of killshots and then when a certain number of deaths happen within a certain time frame, it announces to the server that x zone is a battlefield or something.

Lasher
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM
have the KDR recorded privatly and if a person with a low KDR gets killed it doesnt broadcast but ifs someone with a high one gets killed it broadcasts

Tombom
08-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I just don't see why it is such a big deal to make global ooc/YT ignorable and move on with it. The people who don't want to deal with it won't have to, but people who feel it keeps the server feeling livley and active can enjoy it, there is really no downside.

Envious
08-25-2011, 11:05 PM
The down side has been expounded on relentlessly because people that talk about wanting an active pvp server want to pvp less to establish their names.

VZ/TZ never had more than 150 people on it. It was barely over 300 chars for a short duration, and we all know now that prolly a third of that was Brainz. Seriously tho, with all the 3 and 4 box'ing that was happening, its pretty safe to say never over 150 people logged in.

I'm all about global OOC until the pop is over 250 or so, maybe 150.

But YT is just annoying. Its kinda cool for a bit as a novelty, but it really has no benefit besides the clowns that think it makes them cool.

They just dont want to have to earn their reps the hard way, by actually killing relentlessly.

Humerox
08-25-2011, 11:10 PM
...there is really no downside.

Besides what I mentioned before...if location is involved with YT, people can avoid PvP too. 'Course no one would do that, right?

YT with no location info...and the ability to toggle for spam, would be a good compromise imo if it means some people wouldn't play. I don't think the hardcores would really miss the Red99 box tho...no matter what the final say is.

Rogean's idea about mass pvp messages is pretty awesome tho.

Tombom
08-25-2011, 11:15 PM
If you want to avoid pvp the /w tool is there just for you =D

Either way the pvp hotspot messages are a great idea, would be a really cool feature imo. But vz/tz style yellow really lets you know that shit is going down constantly, keeps people motivated and provides lols to the masses, in the end we play games to be entertained and YT is nothing if not entertaining.

Cwall
08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
It really does make the server feel more alive and competitive. It also adds that "oh shit" factor when you see 20 messages within 30 seconds all from solb.

vinx
08-25-2011, 11:29 PM
It really does make the server feel more alive and competitive. It also adds that "oh shit" factor when you see 20 messages within 30 seconds all from solb.
^This
Rogeans idea is great!

this part of YT i liked!.. the singles meh, (usually someone on a CR) just seemed pointless
nobody gives a shit if someone just died, its a damn pvp server

but it is lulz when its someone you despise

Pudge
08-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe just up the duration of /guildwar to a week instead of a day.

hrm i never guildwarred before. i figured it stayed on indefinitely, till "/guildpeace" or something

Rushmore
08-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Again emperor Roegan has a great idea. But please dont hold the sever up to accomplish it when there can be simple compromises made like zone wide YT.

Someone said zone wide YT and then if enough people die there is a global YT announced!?!

Sexy

Cwall
08-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Well so far two-thirds of the community wants some sort of yellow text(mostly serverwide), so if we don't see at least SOMETHING I will be very disappointed.

Harrison
08-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Well so far two-thirds of the community wants some sort of yellow text(mostly serverwide), so if we don't see at least SOMETHING I will be very disappointed.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Rogean already said no yellow text.

Cwall
08-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Kope
08-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Trying to see actual numbers on what the community prefers.

Not necessarily trying to see what people think the server SHOULD have, but instead what they would enjoy personally, so vote on that.

Discussing both of those, though, is fine, as long as shit stays on topic.

So not trying to see what should happen, but if you don't get what you want you're going to be sad?

Cwall
08-26-2011, 05:14 PM
So not trying to see what should happen, but if you don't get what you want you're going to be sad?

Given that Rogean gave an idea as a compromise after the initial post, yes.

lethdar
08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
The last few boxes I haven't played characters that get yellow text anyway, Cleric, Bard, etc, and this box I'm planning on doing an enchanter. I doubt the lack of yellow text really hurt my reputation. What I am concerned about is finding pvp on a server with no zone whoing and no global ooc / yellow text. A good compromise would be something like a server message "It begins to rain blood in Neriak A" etc when some trigger has been satisfied (5 deaths in 5 minutes? I don't know).

This would help promote mass pvp in out of the way locations, as no one is really going to be checking out of the way zones when if the server knew there were 3 TDT/TZT/whatever camping GBS or quillmane it could quickly escalate into a huge brawl.

vinx
08-26-2011, 05:31 PM
The last few boxes I haven't played characters that get yellow text anyway, Cleric, Bard, etc, and this box I'm planning on doing an enchanter. I doubt the lack of yellow text really hurt my reputation. What I am concerned about is finding pvp on a server with no zone whoing and no global ooc / yellow text. A good compromise would be something like a server message "It begins to rain blood in Neriak A" etc when some trigger has been satisfied (5 deaths in 5 minutes? I don't know).

This would help promote mass pvp in out of the way locations, as no one is really going to be checking out of the way zones when if the server knew there were 3 TDT/TZT/whatever camping GBS or quillmane it could quickly escalate into a huge brawl.
I would hope it would be smaller then that to alert of pvp going on

if a trio or group gets into it with another duo or trio you have 2-3 people dying (or running) not 5+
imo, thats more noteworthy then a duo/solo killing another solo or someone running by on a CR

2+ is meh, might not be anything there by the time someone runs out. prolly = alot of false alarms.
3+ within 5mins should be sufficient enough to signal pvp happening in whatever zone
(i hope the zone is included in YT)

There will always be YT in whatever auction zone there is for "liveliness"
and anyone lookin for pvp can discredit those broadcasts and join the ones worth investigating

Kope
08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
I would hope it would be smaller then that to alert of pvp going on

if a trio or group gets into it with another duo or trio you have 2-3 people dying (or running) not 5+
imo, thats more noteworthy then a duo/solo killing another solo or someone running by on a CR

2+ is meh, might not be anything there by the time someone runs out. prolly = alot of false alarms.
3+ within 5mins should be sufficient enough to signal pvp happening in whatever zone
(i hope the zone is included in YT)

I wouldn't want to see the msg every time 2 or 3 people died, this is a pvp server and that should be happening very often. I'm looking for some real pvp battles if it's going to be a serverwide message. It should happen between 3 and 6 times every day so people know stuff is going down and not a few people just messing around as they prepare to leave a zone.

Kope
08-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't want to see the msg every time 2 or 3 people died, this is a pvp server and that should be happening very often. I'm looking for some real pvp battles if it's going to be a serverwide message. It should happen between 3 and 6 times every day so people know stuff is going down and not a few people just messing around as they prepare to leave a zone.

I just want to clarify my last point because it wasn't very clear (I type gud lolz)

I don't want to see a serverwide message happen often when 2 duos are messing around, then after the battle they all leave. If there's going to be a serverwide message I want to know that there's going to be at least a group or 2 of people stilll fighting when me and my group are showing up.

vinx
08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
thats why i said 2+ is meh
nothing happening there

3+ is eh, might be somethin going on
you will constantly see reports from solb/guks. again nothing major but looks fun

I guess 5+ doesnt sound bad, if your thinking guild action
then you dont see spam as much from the xp zones and it will prolly be worth checking out

Kope
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
then you dont see spam as much from the xp zones

Exactly the point i was trying to get at but couldn't quite say lol.

There will ALWAYS be pvp in those zones (hotspots if you will). Why get a message when its always going to happen?

"I wonder where pvp is going to be today?" It starts to rain blood in Gukbottom "Hey...who woulda thunk?"

vinx
08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
There will ALWAYS be pvp in those zones (hotspots if you will). Why get a message when its always going to happen?

well, to promote the "livliness" others wanted
doubt you will see 5+ happening 3-6x a day (within 5mins) until hate/fear/god farming
specially for the first couple months

vinx
08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
well, to promote the "livliness" others wanted
doubt you will see 5+ happening 3-6x a day (within 5mins) until hate/fear/god farming
specially for the first couple months
Actually i take that back!
5+ sounds better
there is alrdy guilds being formed and those guilds will roll from one zone to the next holding control and xp'ers will be dying soon as they zone in and set up groups/camps

the YT will be just as lively the first couple months

Tonomar
08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I always liked YT because it kind of lets people not involved in the fights "keep score", and gives them a picture of what's actually going on. Of course there will be lots of shit talk in global OOC (If there is global ooc), but you can always mute that channel if it bothers you.

YT also keeps the spirit of pvp lively, kind of giving people something to look forward to in endgame. Sorry if I repeated anything already said, I didn't read any of the shit in this post.

lethdar
08-25-2012, 10:35 PM
remember when the forums already discussed this a year ago?

Porkchop
08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Don't give up the fight for YT!

Cwall
08-26-2012, 05:48 AM
sad stuff

TheLieka
08-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I wasn't around for the argument, and don't want to research it. What was the reason to keep PvP announcements out?

mitic
08-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I wasn't around for the argument, and don't want to research it. What was the reason to keep PvP announcements out?

you have to ask nilbog/rogean directly. they never told us.

TheLieka
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Well, it isn't classic. I can understand them trying to stay away from the slippery slope of custom features and content.

HappyTr33z
08-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Very true, but there are some things which mainly serve to let you know people are out there active. I know before OOC I literally felt 100% alone on here for 98% of the time, very discouraging to a new player.

mitic
08-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Well, it isn't classic. I can understand them trying to stay away from the slippery slope of custom features and content.

still, (almost) everyone wants yellow text and we dont get it just because the owner says so....

and thats also (one of the) mainreasons why ppl left/didnt join at all

all for classics sake, woot!

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM
they've also said multiple times that this server wasn't intended to be completely classic (in regards to the resist system) so I think there is some leniency there

the population is never going to be "classic" even when it's at a high point, so there's also that

SamwiseBanned
08-26-2012, 12:51 PM
pets arent classic, we can see our mana with our non classic uis, not staring at book to med, going ld with a pet doesnt turn it into a senseless killing bastard ect ect. this server aint classic. the most classic thing you can play is eqmac (look and feel wise) however that is a bluebie mac infested pos

TheLieka
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh, haha. If you can cross server ooc, then the classic argument is moot.

Nizzarr
08-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Yellow text should be sent to blue server to show them how awesome pvp server is

nilbog
08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
still, (almost) everyone wants yellow text and we dont get it just because the owner says so....

Pretty sure I've said I wanted it, and I'm trying to get it, or something better in asap. What the fuck.

nilbog
08-26-2012, 03:00 PM
One of these, okay here goes.

pets arent classic,

elaborate.

we can see our mana with our non classic uis,The ability to use non classic uis isn't something we can modify as of yet. If we could, you'd be in classic mode.

not staring at book to med^ The ability to be forced spell book meditation until 35 isn't something we can modify as of yet. If we could, you'd be in classic mode. As an aside, Rogean and I have discussed making a purely black screen (blind mode) and forcing spellbook and chatboxes on top of it, therefore simulating the same scenario. Merely forcing the spellbook on top of the UI won't do anything, because of resolution size.

going ld with a pet doesnt turn it into a senseless killing bastard ect ectNor did it always in classic eq. Pretty sure it had something to do with a maintained hate list, like if I accidentally chose to beg/nuke/attack a pet. When its owner LDed, pet was like, oh I remember you. Needs way more research etc etc.

this server aint classic.I suppose you will always be able to cherry pick a few things and claim everything isn't classic.

The inability to modify a few things should not be used to blanket an entire non-classic argument. If I could toggle a classic/non-classic switch and have everything completely and instantly classic, I would toggle that switch.

mitic
08-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Pretty sure I've said I wanted it, and I'm trying to get it, or something better in asap. What the fuck.

master nilbog talk with master daxum and you shall be helped!

or better, get him into the staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamwiseBanned
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
One of these, okay here goes.

elaborate.

The ability to use non classic uis isn't something we can modify as of yet. If we could, you'd be in classic mode.

^ The ability to be forced spell book meditation until 35 isn't something we can modify as of yet. If we could, you'd be in classic mode. As an aside, Rogean and I have discussed making a purely black screen (blind mode) and forcing spellbook and chatboxes on top of it, therefore simulating the same scenario. Merely forcing the spellbook on top of the UI won't do anything, because of resolution size.

Nor did it always in classic eq. Pretty sure it had something to do with a maintained hate list, like if I accidentally chose to beg/nuke/attack a pet. When its owner LDed, pet was like, oh I remember you. Needs way more research etc etc.

I suppose you will always be able to cherry pick a few things and claim everything isn't classic.

The inability to modify a few things should not be used to blanket an entire non-classic argument. If I could toggle a classic/non-classic switch and have everything completely and instantly classic, I would toggle that switch.

i didnt mean to sound like im bitching, im just sick of the "not classic" argument. my bad if i sounded like i was attacking your werk :) It was more for the people bitching about custom resists, global ooc, YT, and xp bonus

EDIT: as far as the pet thing goes i remember necro pets going rogue and kiling everyone. pretty sure it was an unattended bug but I loved seeing one go crazy around orc hill. reminds me of the inferno pets in classic wow (i think thats what they are called) They were basically a mob you controlled for a certain period of time, after time expired it went rogue. people used to dump them in the barrens (forgot the town) where it would slaughter everyone.

SamwiseBanned
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I also have a family and responsibilities, TOTALLY NOT CLASSIC

BigSlip
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Prayin for that yello text tonight

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't think anyone here actually wants it to be 100% classic, so you don't have to defend it Nildog.

It always (and only) comes up when people are speculating on why certain things aren't being done (ie: why isn't yellow text in? rabble rabble), so that would be the thing to address. Players assume that there is resistance to implementing non-classic features. Those speculated assumptions exist because the only communication coming from the dev side are your posts.

This is actually more than we usually get:

I think transparent communication would go a long way not just for the players but also for you. Set expectations and be clear about things and then you won't have to deal with all the whining and rage and confusion.

If the bottleneck is "Rogean is waffling on doing it in the staff forum because of [whatever / busy IRL and needs approval / doesn't like idea / etc]", well.... there we go. Now we know. Now players don't peddle rumors as to why things are or aren't being done. Now you don't have to deal with the headache of players shooting the dark with false assumptions.

Cwall
08-26-2012, 05:17 PM
rogean too busy on star wars to implement yellow text

EQtrader
08-26-2012, 05:21 PM
rogean with tralina from last night still sleepin on the couch and not in her bed thus no yellow text

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I mean yeah that whole line of ridicule (Rogean playing Star Wars doesn't give a fuck about Red etc) is exactly what I'm talking about.

Players developed that assumption because we stopped hearing anything from him 8 or 9 months ago. If he posted once something along the lines of being incredibly busy with RL and needing people to be patient with any patches to Red, then we probably stop hearing about this fabricated Star Wars MMO addiction.

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
To be completely fair though I kinda did the same thing and just stopped checking in on VZTZ after I got too overloaded. I did try to have the courtesy to update the players that I was simply too busy with RL shit (which I was) and not sure how to fix the various hacks (zonecmd crashing woot), but there were also some weeks/days where I just avoided the forums altogether. That's just burnout on doing too much free work / not having the time for it.

I'm still pissed at the player behavior in the first couple months of this box release which I feel like played a big role there. If Rogean checks back in at this point though I think he'd find the community significantly easier to deal with.

Cwall
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
his last post on the forums was about him playing star wars and seeing a guild named vae victis

no fabrication there

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
It's impossible for me to fault the guy for playing a MMO when that's exactly what we're doing here (because he's provided it for free).

That said, I do think he should hand the reins off to Nildog or someone else, since it's obvious to me that Nildog is just waiting on approval for something he already knows should be done. I don't see why that hasn't happened. The executive decision maker should be someone who is actually present and in touch with what's going on. He'd have a better run server that way. And it'd still be his server ultimately.

I think I pretty much posted this verbatim about six months ago.

Cwall
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
eh this is just stuff that's been repeated for months and months

pretty evident that rogean doesn't give a shit

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.saltyrunning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/dawson-crying.jpg

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
WHY DOESN'T DAD SPEND TIME WITH US ANYMORE :(

TheLieka
08-26-2012, 06:52 PM
I would be curious to hear how the hierarchy works when he's unavailable or busy with other stuff. Many empires have crumbled due to an unclear line of succession. :)

SearyxTZ
08-26-2012, 07:13 PM
^haha

Running the small violent kingdom was a hard position to sell on anyone. Much less anyone who would want to run it for the right reasons.

Handing VZTZ off to that fires of heaven guy was probably the worst decision I ever made, though. I'll own up to that one.

TheLieka
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't fault you; I was fortunate to find Null, otherwise I could have done the same. :)

Nirgon
08-27-2012, 12:12 PM
WHY DOESN'T DAD SPEND TIME WITH US ANYMORE :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6picMNyM7U

Relevant esp to missing another certain person around here ;). There's even a screen shot taken at the end!

All of this is 150% OUR fault

(I gotta say I coulda called this one)

SearyxTZ
08-27-2012, 12:24 PM
hahaha

Spoiled
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
/guildwar is the dumbest thing i've seen on here. Straight up Yellow text is what it should be; Player x of <blah> has been slain by Player y of <bah> in Zone. For people who think its going to be a constant spam are stupid. All the people who are against or for moderated yt dont even pvp, and thats why they dont want it. They dont want their name splatted for the server to see. Waiting for 5 deaths in 5 just as dumb as /guildwar.

Nirgon
08-27-2012, 01:00 PM
hahaha

Nihilum / Lovely exploiting - Brennan

Holocaust being too strong at / aggressive in PvP and virtually no recruitment - Dale

HappyTr33z
08-27-2012, 01:29 PM
/guildwar is the dumbest thing i've seen on here. Straight up Yellow text is what it should be; Player x of <blah> has been slain by Player y of <bah> in Zone. For people who think its going to be a constant spam are stupid. All the people who are against or for moderated yt dont even pvp, and thats why they dont want it. They dont want their name splatted for the server to see. Waiting for 5 deaths in 5 just as dumb as /guildwar.

Word. to ya motha.

Dacuk
08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
way too much think tanking going on here (as per usual). For fucks sake, put in YT with zones for a 2 weeks trial, run a poll afterwards and see if people like it or not, compare it to the baseline, and make a fucking decision. This would actually take less effort on Rogean's part than reading all of this retardation.

runlvlzero
08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Yellow text will do nothing except gratify a few nerds who get all epeenery over that "killshot".

I say gratify them, the more people gratified on the box the more people playing, the more !FUN! to be had.

People can still be all communal and shit in /ooc with it. It will just save 50% of the population time it takes to type ****WAGGNUTZ down.

TheLieka
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
YT should give a full list of everyone that was involved in the kill. Then you could all bear witness to the true power of the imperial zerg squads.

Seriously though, the decision to not yet put YT in for PvP has nothing to do with the complexity of the coding required. You guys have some top notch folks slinging code up in here.

Tradesonred
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I switched my stance from yellow text with no loc to yellow text with loc due to the large Kunark areas and the fact that there must be practically 0 pvp at the lower levels so the chances of griefing because of it are going down.

SearyxTZ
08-27-2012, 06:57 PM
It actually stops griefing more than starts it. If someone is spamming broadcasts via bind camping someone, usually someone will go play hero and kill them. It keeps griefers in check.

Tradesonred
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
It actually stops griefing more than starts it. If someone is spamming broadcasts via bind camping someone, usually someone will go play hero and kill them. It keeps griefers in check.

Yeah some twink is mopping the floor with some guy in Oasis over and over. KC or CoM group guy "Oh im going to stop this grouping to go help a random naked noob getting owned in oasis, brb logging my 15 SK. "

Super likely scenario

A high ender getting owned liked that will scream in guildchat anyway so its not like he needs the loc being broadcasted

Still, voted yes with loc. Cuz i have no illusion of server taking off at this point, so it might just stir end game up a bit and get people to pvp.

SearyxTZ
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh, ok. Yeah, your think tank logic trumps my years of playing on red servers with YT and seeing the scenario of a broadcast-spamming griefer killed as a direct result of said broadcasts (usually by a druid/wizard).

bind camping isn't policed here but it also made it obvious/easier for staff to investigate those incidents

Tradesonred
08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, ok. Yeah, your think tank logic trumps my years of playing on red servers with YT and seeing the scenario of a broadcast-spamming griefer killed as a direct result of said broadcasts (usually by a druid/wizard).

bind camping isn't policed here but it also made it obvious/easier for staff to investigate those incidents

Yeah i can totally see either the PVE first crowds or the Holocaust crowd going

Oh! Some guy getting GRIEFED? ON MY SERVER?!?! HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Your years of experience are irrelevant, we have the community we have, here, now.

heartbrand
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
If the guy was in range I would likely go help the guy out.

runlvlzero
08-27-2012, 08:51 PM
YT =! greifing.... could it motivate someone to greif? Yeah, just about everything can. Will it, not really.

Some of us would like a server with no global chat, like no guild chat, and only /say man the RP value would be lulz, but having /ooc, /guild and /g to allow people to get organized does not increase the amount that nihi dies.

If you are that guy in oasis spamming yellow text deaths, might want to take a break from oasis for a bit and /q for awhile.

diplo
08-27-2012, 09:33 PM
global ooc good enough for me..

Kevynne
08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
i want yt b/c it encourages pvp in zones and will keep griefers in check!
on tz/vz it used to create zones where blood would just rain... so if you wanted pvp you would go to those zones; if you didn't you stayed the fuck away and pve'ed.

TheLieka
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
i want yt b/c it encourages pvp in zones and will keep griefers in check!
on tz/vz it used to create zones where blood would just rain... so if you wanted pvp you would go to those zones; if you didn't you stayed the fuck away and pve'ed.

qft

aborted
08-28-2012, 08:42 PM

i like the idea but the number of players to die, would need to be around 2 or 3 peeps. Imo most people roll around in groups of that size if they are looking for pvp.

Kevynne
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
hey guess what. server pop drops during the week because people have lives/jobs during the week, and can't afford to play eq 24/7

Nirgon
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM
The ability to use non classic uis isn't something we can modify as of yet. If we could, you'd be in classic mode.

How come I see someone has developed something that makes it look and feel exactly like the old UI. That just needs a few tweaks.

diplo
09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
YT without locations would be cool.

Nirgon
09-14-2012, 08:25 PM
My current vote is that it is not impossible to create an interface that looks and behaves like that classic one. Nor is it impossible to force people to use it. I am not trying to be a dick :P, just saying.

mitic
09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
so there was a patch without yt /sadface

runlvlzero
09-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Time to call Cwalls ISP? Get the net nannies on him? Could spamming a forum be concidered a DDOS under some form of the:

Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1984?

I'm pretty sure he's unauthorized to post here. Most internet ISPs take this shit pretty seriously and if you can get in touch with a real admin via email their usually more then happy to help out of common courtesy and brotherhood amoungst administrators, no legal action neccissary, but its always good to file a complaint with some substantiality. Could get his HTTP and SSL (https for clarification) ports blocked on their end for a week if you are cheeky and polite. Last time i read my ISP's EULA they basically said if your a troll with their services they will and can cut you off, and i've heard of it before in fairly extreme cases.

In otherwords Cwall, a friendly reminder from a fellow netizen you are starting to push the boundries of whats appropriate on the internets. Everyone understands and has heard your opinion you do not need to further communicate it. We got u, we don't care, and won't care. Not gonna make it any clearer.

Greegon
09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
YT without locations would be cool.

bboooooooo locations, wow style guides to bring people to exact loc of pvp death along quickest route in zone

Smedy
09-20-2012, 09:46 AM
install yellow with or without location, i don't give a shit... i need to see people taking dirtnaps for max immersion

SamwiseBanned
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
after YT, the next thing we need a kill cam.

nilbog
09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
How come I see someone has developed something that makes it look and feel exactly like the old UI. That just needs a few tweaks.

This? (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3680) If it's what I'm thinking of, it is not close enough for my liking. Way more than a few tweaks.

Velious UI is much closer to an exact Velious UI than this UI is to pre-Velious UI.

In the event this is not the one, please link.

Nirgon
09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe not close enough for me either but its a start and certainly proves its not impossible imo.

SamwiseBanned
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
id rather have a perfect velious ui than a classic one. velious is just around the corner anyway, i think at this point it would be a waste of dev time. although it would certainly be nostalgic, playing eq thru a window while in windowed mode doesnt sound fun.

CrystalBlue
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
A universal forced Velious UI would be great. I hope the techies make it happen.

SamwiseBanned
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
i didnt even know about velious UI for a long time. i remember the first time i went to full screen i was like D=

Yukahwa
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
For true classic 99 experience we need to have mandated 56K

ISP speeds need to be legacy correct.

SamwiseBanned
09-20-2012, 06:11 PM
NetZero is classic

Kevynne
09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
kill cam would be pree sweet :p

jdklaw
09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
cool ui discussion

wheres the yt?

Nirgon
09-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Just saying it's not impossible like I was told to believe before.

Nizzarr
09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
wru purple text :(

BigSlip
09-26-2012, 01:40 AM
cock tease

Kevynne
09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
dafuq ism purple text

Nirgon
09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Bump for classic UI isn't impossible