PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone against item loot?

Tajin
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Population will be massive regardless. So get a bunch of no drop gear and worst case scenario if u have to, bag ur shit! But don't take out the fun of griefing people by taking their gears! Discuss

Salty
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
they panzees

Qauz
08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm all for it, but after like a week everyone runs around naked, or starts mqing because they can't compete. After 2 weeks it's obsolete to even have it enabled. Just avoid it all together or you will just detract new players.

Mardur
08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
It can work but not with the default EQ implementation.

Tamiah2011
08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Because players today want there cake and eat it too.Just like the emplyees today are lazy asses and dont want to work and want to be paid .

Tajin
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm all for it, but after like a week everyone runs around naked, or starts mqing because they can't compete. After 2 weeks it's obsolete to even have it enabled. Just avoid it all together or you will just detract new players.

It won't get to the point where people will run around naked because they had all their gear ganked. I am from RZ so it was fun for me questing and trying to get a full set of no drop. And players who do aren't cut out for pvp. Ya'll neet to play better!!

Humerox
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Honestly? It's too hardcore for casuals, and doesn't promote bi-curious blubie participation.

Naked casters and the artistry of bagging is order of the day...overall, not much fun.

Yukahwa
08-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I think the doom and gloom is misplaced. It means the in game economy is better..items not so overpriced because they can be stolen from you, and it means twinks have something to lose. People are going to get turned off by invincible twinks they can never retaliate against once people hit 50 and start making alts.

Bardalicious
08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
I think the doom and gloom is misplaced. It means the in game economy is better..items not so overpriced because they can be stolen from you, and it means twinks have something to lose. People are going to get turned off by invincible twinks they can never retaliate against once people hit 50 and start making alts.

Truth.

Though, it worked on Rallos Zek because of the player base. It had an equal balance between PVE and PVP. The ruthless nature of potentially losing your hard earned pixels bred things like the anti-PK mind set, for people that were afraid of being killed and having shit stolen. It kept the system in check imo.

As much as I'd like to have item looting on Red 99, the server would need to be heavily reliant on a PNP-style rule set, and I just don't know if I see that happening with this community. We're talking about the people that will kill you for your cloth tunic when they've got 1mil plat banked just to shit on you and laugh while doing it.

Am I saying that is wrong? No. To each their own. But I can see how that would potentially scare away new players, unless they had guilds to turn to that would be there to help them, just like RZ did.

Humerox
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM

An Anti-PK guild is already forming. Red99 wiill be a bit harder on the gankers, I do believe.

Tamiah2011
08-25-2011, 10:33 PM
It won't get to the point where people will run around naked because they had all their gear ganked. I am from RZ so it was fun for me questing and trying to get a full set of no drop. And players who do aren't cut out for pvp. Ya'll neet to play better!!

I enjoy the risk factor and Ive had some really nice items ganked off me before.It make the game much harder which I liked and keeps the big mouths in check.If your hardcore pvp you have much more fun being a wanted man lol.

Extunarian
08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I know I'll go apeshit when I lose something, but I think item loot would be cool.

Tajin
08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Honestly? It's too hardcore for casuals, and doesn't promote bi-curious blubie participation.

Naked casters and the artistry of bagging is order of the day...overall, not much fun.

Well, if there is xp loss on pvp death, it might help against naked casters bind rushing or something.
But i'm hoping the server becomes Rallos Zek circa 1999. Where Anti Pks make up about 80% of the server. And the PKers are known and frowned upon. I want all the classic zones to be heavily populated, and it stay that way like p99. I loved ganking on my twink rogue in Gfay/CB. But to make my immersion complete, the server NEEEEEDSS item loot.

Yukahwa
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Well since this is "rants and flames" I will give my rants and flame answer that the people against item loot are panzies planning to have uber twinked lowbies and want to just dominate poorly geared lowbies without having to think twice about the risk they take wearing that gear.

Vendar
08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
But i'm hoping the server becomes Rallos Zek circa 1999. Where Anti Pks make up about 80% of the server. And the PKers are known and frowned upon.

i believe you're going to be sadly disappointed :(

Yukahwa
08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Vendar is right on that account.

But maybe some P99 non pks will play it for fun and form the anti group just like the past. Thatd be cool..some balance.

Slave
08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Really what item loot means is that there will be tons of naked people, tons of no-drop items, and tons of cheap-effective gear like chanter jewelery. Sooo pretty much 70% of the items in the game will not be used. Fun.

Tajin
08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Really what item loot means is that there will be tons of naked people, tons of no-drop items, and tons of cheap-effective gear like chanter jewelery. Sooo pretty much 70% of the items in the game will not be used. Fun.

U think that, but skilled players wear their gear, i know i will! It obviously benefits to wear ur gear, so the better pvpers arent afraid, and if ur close to dying u bag ur best items. XP loss on pvp death should be enabled too.

vinx
08-27-2011, 11:29 AM
U think that, but skilled players wear their gear, i know i will! It obviously benefits to wear ur gear, so the better pvpers arent afraid, and if ur close to dying u bag ur best items. XP loss on pvp death should be enabled too.
thats all? skilled = wearing it until you start to lose then bag it? geez

True twinkin does hurt the new/late players.. but thats not you guys

all im getting is that everyone on these boards before server launch is scared to level their alts and battle twinks.
It isnt that bad, maybe run into a twink(s) once a day if you hit hot spots.. dont see any if you level in other areas.
and eventually you outgrow them as twinks like to stay low level

Idk what your all afraid of

Tajin
08-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Skilled or not, their isn't much u can do if you're getting ganked by a group of players. So if you're about to die, best bag ur shiet!

Tamiah2011
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM

True twinkin does hurt the new/late players.. but thats not you guys

all im getting is that everyone on these boards before server launch is scared to level their alts and battle twinks.
It isnt that bad, maybe run into a twink(s) once a day if you hit hot spots.. dont see any if you level in other areas.
and eventually you outgrow them as twinks like to stay low level

Idk what your all afraid of

Lol you think it easy to bag gear while running and being stunned/snared lol

Get blinded a few times it just part of the game and it pretty fun.

vinx
08-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Skilled or not, their isn't much u can do if you're getting ganked by a group of players. So if you're about to die, best bag ur shiet!
or find creative ways to xp die:
suicide mobs / take hp gear off last (plug is out unless you go god mode)

anyway, seems the only argument (besides its fun) is that twinks start to roll around with no item loot = L2P
id take that over naked population+casters galore

vinx
08-27-2011, 11:41 AM

L2P better

vinx
08-27-2011, 11:43 AM

err my bad, blind does suck when your trying to bag.. only recourse is
if you know where some mobs are and are runnin in the right direction lol

Tajin
08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
or find creative ways to xp die:
suicide mobs / take hp gear off last (plug is out unless you go god mode)

anyway, seems the only argument (besides its fun) is that twinks start to roll around with no item loot = L2P
id take that over naked population+casters galore

Just because item loot is on, doesnt mean everyone will be naked. The server is going to be caster galore w/ or w/o item loot!...

KEEP ITEM LOOT

Mardur
08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
The worst thing about item loot is it's yet another thing that gives MQers an advantage (with an auto-bag script).

mimixownzall
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Idiot, they run around naked cause they prize their pixels. Why is item loot the be-all, end-all argument for whether you are cut out for pvp or not?

mimixownzall
08-27-2011, 05:47 PM
But i'm hoping the server becomes Rallos Zek circa 1999. Where Anti Pks make up about 80% of the server. And the PKers are known and frowned upon.

You want a PVP server but you don't want any fucking PVP? WHAT?

"I WANTZ US A PEE VEE PEE SERVER!! BUT I WANT 80% OF THE POPULATION TO FROWN UPON PVP"

/boggle

Seriously, I think I kinda know where you're trying to go with it: You don't want it to be a complete slaughterfest 24/7 everywhere you go; an eq classic server with the option of pvp when you want to.

Well, teams server would have helped you out there, but the powers that be don't want it that way... SOOO you get to live with the 24/7 slaughterfest rampage of the big guilds until you can hopefully join one.

Which means that there are probably going to wind up being 2, maybe 3 large guilds fighting eachother... which... is basically like having teams, except teams would have been more noob friendly.

(Yes... teams vs ffa is the dead horse.. and I'm beating the fuck out of it)

Tajin
08-28-2011, 01:54 AM
You want a PVP server but you don't want any fucking PVP? WHAT?

"I WANTZ US A PEE VEE PEE SERVER!! BUT I WANT 80% OF THE POPULATION TO FROWN UPON PVP"

/boggle

Seriously, I think I kinda know where you're trying to go with it: You don't want it to be a complete slaughterfest 24/7 everywhere you go; an eq classic server with the option of pvp when you want to.

Well, teams server would have helped you out there, but the powers that be don't want it that way... SOOO you get to live with the 24/7 slaughterfest rampage of the big guilds until you can hopefully join one.

Which means that there are probably going to wind up being 2, maybe 3 large guilds fighting eachother... which... is basically like having teams, except teams would have been more noob friendly.

(Yes... teams vs ffa is the dead horse.. and I'm beating the fuck out of it)

I was a PKer, so i would find pvp everywhere i went, i just think it would be cool to go back to those days... i know alot of these p99ers don't know how to pvp (I.E. Wonton) so it would be beneficial to group up together and be anti pkers.... play nice and fight the evil vztzers. There will be mass pvp either way!

Spud
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
I would love item loot.

Humerox
08-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I would love item loot.

Brother...hope you intend to play R99.

Should hook up wit the anti-pk crew.

:D

Frytard
08-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Population will be massive regardless. So get a bunch of no drop gear and worst case scenario if u have to, bag ur shit! But don't take out the fun of griefing people by taking their gears! Discuss

Item loot would be awesome - but i think most people who are experienced in pvp will be scared that people who are new to pvp will rage quit

Doors
08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I could care less if item loot is in. But Rogean and crew are banking on some players from blue99 coming over to red99 and not all of them are die hard pvpers.

Yukahwa
08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Item loot doesn't mean you have to be a die hard PVP player. Geesh wheesh. Item loot with tighter level limits mean there is less possibility of lowbies being persistently dominated by players they have no potential for defeating. I think there needs to be item loot and a progressive level limit increase. 1-30 or so it should be 4 levels and after that the level limit increases. A level 42 is much better matched to a level 50 than a level 12 is to a level 20.

8 level limit with no item loot is just asking for twinks to walk all over lowbies trying to EXP with zero risk for loss. It gives the hunter even more of an advantage over the hunted because the hunted.

nilbog
08-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm a hardcore pvper I guess.

I think droppable loot is like currency, and should be loottable. If you /consented someone in prekunark live, they could loot your corpse pve style. /shrug.

http://www.ozoneparkstrangerdanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mugging.jpg

Tajin
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm a hardcore pvper I guess.

I think droppable loot is like currency, and should be loottable. If you /consented someone in prekunark live, they could loot your corpse pve style. /shrug.

http://www.ozoneparkstrangerdanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mugging.jpg

its ur server, enable it!!!!!

Harrison
08-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Item loot is detrimental to server health.

LOL NAKED CASTER HEAVEN WEEE

Tajin
08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Item loot would be awesome - but i think most people who are experienced in pvp will be scared that people who are new to pvp will rage quit

That is why the Anti Pks stay together!!! And people ragequit for many reasons, they should stay on p99 if they cant handle the heat!

Tajin
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

That is why they should have xp loss on pvp death. As well as having 0 mana.

Tajin
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I could care less if item loot is in. But Rogean and crew are banking on some players from blue99 coming over to red99 and not all of them are die hard pvpers.

It would be a nice escape for those blue99ers, I don't think most would be fully invested on red99 if p99 is their main server. It would be nice to just have a lowbie griefing char to pk the low lvls. I did this switching from my blue server to ganking on Rallos Zek.

nilbog
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Everything can be considered detrimental to server health. I heard the same predictions about p99 before it launched.

No translocators - detrimental to server health
No soulbinders - detrimental to server health
No boxing - detrimental to server health
No classic exp rate - detrimental to server health

And after the server launched?

Keep global chat, else it will be detrimental to server health!
Get rid of exp penalties, else it will be detrimental to server health!

On and on. I don't believe any of you can predict the future and most predictions are just wrong.

http://somebodyandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/miss-cleo-300x241.jpg

I'm not forcing my opinions for pvp, because pvp servers had different rules.

I think if there's a twinked out lvl 9 in full rubi killing all the newbs, 10 of them should be able to rape him and take a piece. It's naive to assume that no item loot will stop griefing. The griefers will just be able to keep all their gear.

xshayla701
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

LOL where is yiblaan

Humerox
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
...I think if there's a twinked out lvl 9 in full rubi killing all the newbs, 10 of them should be able to rape him and take a piece. It's naive to assume that no item loot will stop griefing. The griefers will just be able to keep all their gear.

The problem was really the bagging. If item loot is allowed, the bags shouldn't be sacred ground. Pretty simple really.

Like a lot of people have said, looting should be implemented at first, and if it proves to be a problem for population, it can be removed. Just please make sure there is no way to circumvent an item loot. Please.

Humerox
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Just please make sure there is no way to circumvent an item loot.

EXCEPT melee weapons. Poor tanks would be so royally screwed, lol.

Convict
08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Everything can be considered detrimental to server health. I heard the same predictions about p99 before it launched.

On and on. I don't believe any of you can predict the future and most predictions are just wrong.

I think if there's a twinked out lvl 9 in full rubi killing all the newbs, 10 of them should be able to rape him and take a piece. It's naive to assume that no item loot will stop griefing. The griefers will just be able to keep all their gear.
Yeah I remember when getting rid of global /ooc was going to kill the server, ROFLMAO.

Just do what you think is best, and we support it.

Convict
08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
for the record I am pro item loot. I am an old RZ'er here from pre-kunark and it was the best online gaming experience I've had yet. Except for maybe counter strike and rocket arena 3.

Chanur
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM

On RZ there was plenty of naked people ganking, or bagging, or twinking. Because frankly you are not going to kill a well geared twink at low levels, he is going to rape your group. Saw it time and time again on RZ.

Greenkrak
08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
ITEM LOOT YES

The only arguments people have against item loot they refer to 'other people' who will cry/quit from getting their shit takin .

Who the fuck are these people?? u are only talking about youselves

there arent many casual players on blue99 where most of the population will be coming from. For the most part if you play on this server your probably a pretty addicted player if youve spent any amount of time playing and will be more than ready to immerse yourself in an even more ruthless world of everquest

Its not like this shit is being commercialized and inviting every geek off the street to come play and you need a PC campaign add to draw in as many customers as you can, so you dont want to scare them off with ruthless item ganking/ bind camping/ xp loss blah blah ect ect

There should be some 'guidelines' no doubt but i think that like alot of people have already stated the server will work itself out with the community because there are a lot of solid people on classic pve that will come to classic pvp.

CANT WAIT

tarni
08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
An Anti-PK guild is already forming. Red99 wiill be a bit harder on the gankers, I do believe.

question how can u make an anti pk guild and what will they do on the server ? yell at ppl they may not attack or somthing.. becures. if they heal og kill. they are player killers.. so they cant be anti pk guild :P unless they just give away free stuff to help ppl. and let em die. when they might get attacked..

And i would like item loot. it worked good. on Vz atlast i got pretty fast full gear :P if ppl killing ppl for stuff the items will just cycle from player to player so if u lose item. go kill another and get their item... whats the fun if its coin only. ppl just destry the coins... no point in killing ppl.

Tarni Shadowdancer - Vallon zek - Twelve Prophets
Cleric

Yukahwa
08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Anti PK's don't hunt exp groups that mind their own business. They will kill on sight "mean old pk's" Rallos Zek had no teams but the teams naturally formed into teams of the vile hearted PK's and the PVE oriented anti PK's. Most players had at least 1 character on each of these natural teams because sometimes it is fun to hunt for players..other times it is fun to PVE.

It really doesn't matter how we talk about it here..with a decent player base on a team without artificial teams..these natural teams will form on their own.

You are really right about item loot. I also think the PVP engagement range should be tighter or else it makes it too easy to hunt lowbies with little chance of defending oneself.

Kilbur
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Item loot anything not in bags and no weapons unless disarmed while bags were full or inventory slots were open :-) and all money taken was the way to go.. Very fun and challenging.. Best pvp ive ever played was rallos zek.... When they changed these rules the pvp died.. Wonder why.. Yes it was frustrating when u got a nice piece if gear taken but that was the challenge !! Please keep it how it was .. I can't wait!!!

Haul
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
they panzees

This.

tarni
08-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Anti PK's don't hunt exp groups that mind their own business. They will kill on sight "mean old pk's" Rallos Zek had no teams but the teams naturally formed into teams of the vile hearted PK's and the PVE oriented anti PK's. Most players had at least 1 character on each of these natural teams because sometimes it is fun to hunt for players..other times it is fun to PVE. .

yeah its whats is lame. its just another way to ligal pvp :P and say im a good guy, and the other is evil..
same was it for us on Vallon Zek. 3 faction there. good evil and neutral
but it bacem fast ligty vs evil.. so it was 2 faction vs 1.. i dident mind more i could kil. and at the end. it was the whole server Vs Twelve prophet. witch they sayed we where. bad... but hehe they coulden take we where the best pvp on the server.

maybe an ide. u could make it coin only.. and then make some kind of guildwar system.. where only guilds there was in war with each other could loot an item. but what im afraid of is guilds will only enter war. when they alot of planar gear witch is nodrop... should make that there warent any nodrop. but only lvl req on it.. but it also have it down sides.. seems all will have some kind of down side. hehe.

Tarni Shadowdancer - Vallon Zek - Twelve Prophet
Cleric

Yukahwa
08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
That was really a challenge to read Tarni but I think I got the jst of what you were saying.

Earning no drop gear is its own reward and is what motivates a player to achieve planar gear. Its not unfair at all. The main problems in PVP arise at the lower levels when noobs are trying to EXP and they get sat on by strong twinks. Item loot makes twinks have to think twice..and at least gives noobs the CHANCE of looting that stuff.

No teams PVP is the best, the game isn't created to be diety balanced or anything like that. It works out fine.

Tajin
08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
The problem was really the bagging. If item loot is allowed, the bags shouldn't be sacred ground. Pretty simple really.

Like a lot of people have said, looting should be implemented at first, and if it proves to be a problem for population, it can be removed. Just please make sure there is no way to circumvent an item loot. Please.

Nah bagging should still be allowed, it hurts the player if u bag anyway, losing all the stats! Easier to kill

Vondra
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Even though naked casters and bagging sucks I think it is better than a group of uber twink alts hanging out in low level areas...permanently. For people that don't get in on the ground floor of the server, they'll come here and see that...probably get killed by it a bit, then leave.

Might be better for server population to ALLOW item looting funny enough, just because of the twink issue.

JayDee
09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
same was it for us on Vallon Zek. 3 faction there. good evil and neutral
but it bacem fast ligty vs evil.. so it was 2 faction vs 1.. i dident mind more i could kil. and at the end. it was the whole server Vs Twelve prophet. witch they sayed we where. bad... but hehe they coulden take we where the best pvp on the server.
Cleric

Begone imposter

VZ & TZ had 4 pvp factions - shorties, elves, human, darkies

Yukahwa
09-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Even though naked casters and bagging sucks I think it is better than a group of uber twink alts hanging out in low level areas...permanently. For people that don't get in on the ground floor of the server, they'll come here and see that...probably get killed by it a bit, then leave.

Might be better for server population to ALLOW item looting funny enough, just because of the twink issue.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It just sucks too bad for new lowbies to deal with twinks when they have literally no way to deter them.

Crenshinabon
09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Item loot made it a rush trying to kill twinks. Also naked casters are not as good as you guys think. Less mana, less AC. It effects everyone not just melee.

I loved knowing that when I killed someone there was a chance at some gear.
I also hated losing gear, but thats what no drop was for.

wrxBRAH
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Item loot makes 90% of the server casters as opposed to 75%. To negate twink griefing, you're allowing item loot which can potentially bring even more griefing and rage. Good luck with your R99 population goals of 2011.

Personally I dont care either way..

Sniperfire
09-07-2011, 01:57 PM

all of these things have hurt server pop i know 20 or 30 people personally including me that wont even waste time there cause of them god knows how many i dont know that feel the same....put in item loot you will remove it that or you will end up blaming the low population on lack of interest in pvp rather than taking the blame for thinking you know everything about everything

Tajin
09-07-2011, 02:05 PM
all of these things have hurt server pop i know 20 or 30 people personally including me that wont even waste time there cause of them god knows how many i dont know that feel the same....put in item loot you will remove it that or you will end up blaming the low population on lack of interest in pvp rather than taking the blame for thinking you know everything about everything

all of those things not in will hurt the server pop, i know 100-150 people personally including me that wont even waste time there cause of them god knows how many i dont know that feel the same....take out item loot and you will end up blaming the low population on lack of interest in pvp rather than taking the blame for thinking you know everything about everything

Tajin
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

personally i think u and ur buddies know that u wont be able to use ur acks, so you are scared of getting pwnt and losing ur gearz.... i dont understand it, whats not to like about stealing ones items. I guess you guys arent as pro as me.

Freez

Harrison
09-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Illiterate inbreds trying to assert that they're pro.

Fucking rofl.

Bardalicious
09-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Illiterate inbreds trying to assert that they're pro.

Fucking rofl.

pro item loot > whiny bitch VZTZ crew any day

I'm seriously disappointed by how many "omg it will hurt the population but I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH IT *wink wink*" excuses I've seen. You can't hail yourself as a red player with this bluebie, pixel-loving mentality.

Seems like some of you have become a bit too coddled in your carbon-copied VZTZ guilds and groups on every box that you're afraid of actual competition and danger in PVP. If I were a griefing, yellow-text loving faggot, I suppose I'd probably be afraid of retribution as well. Grow some testicular fortitude, bitches.

Humerox
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm seriously disappointed by how many "omg it will hurt the population but I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH IT *wink wink*" excuses I've seen. You can't hail yourself as a red player with this bluebie, pixel-loving mentality.

It's about converting the blues. Item loot won't affect a red player's decision in the least.

tarni
09-08-2011, 05:01 PM
any one give a beer ?

runlvlzero
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I enjoy the risk factor and Ive had some really nice items ganked off me before.It make the game much harder which I liked and keeps the big mouths in check.If your hardcore pvp you have much more fun being a wanted man lol.

Ya I'm in favor of high risk if I ever came back to play on a red server, but its a pain in the ass for anyone without a dedicated EQ playtime schedule, and discourages newbs.

But EQ is the only game that ever made itemloot work... that I have played and it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, forces you to not play alone.

azeth
09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
to preface: In ~7 years total of playing EQ/P99 combined I've dueled twice.

Just a guess, but given melee are item dependent and casters are mana dependent, i'm going to go ahead and say that's why.

runlvlzero
09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
to preface: In ~7 years total of playing EQ/P99 combined I've dueled twice.

Just a guess, but given melee are item dependent and casters are mana dependent, i'm going to go ahead and say that's why.

This can actually be balanced out independent of whether there is item loot or not by adjusting melee dmg or spell dmg accordingly. Honestly - as far as resists are concerned they aren't good to change tooo much... casters will always be strong then melee, until the melee gets buffed by shamans, good resists, and a healer, and some skill in game =)

Tajin
09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
KEEP ITEM LOOT

Fists
09-22-2011, 02:17 AM
As a player from Rallos, I never once worried about naked casters.. Go in groups, get some decent weapons and some off brand no drop gear, and man up. Casters aren't hard to beat. Item loot IS pvp.

strosz
09-22-2011, 05:47 AM
EverQuest PvP without item loot is boring. Item loot is what brings all the excitement and danger to the world, it's a second dimension to the gameplay.

Aenor
09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Grow some testicular fortitude, bitches.

Big talk. Item loot or no item loot, make sure to post your character name on the forums. Big talker not gonna roll anon I'm assuming?

Item loot WILL hurt long term retention and churn. But it's Nilbog's world and I will roll either way. Character name: Aenor.

Pfap
09-22-2011, 08:32 AM
As a player from Rallos, I never once worried about naked casters.. Go in groups, get some decent weapons and some off brand no drop gear, and man up. Casters aren't hard to beat. Item loot IS pvp.

Go in groups

in groups

groups

inb4 none logs on unless they have a full group to back them up

Smedy
09-22-2011, 08:39 AM
groups

the man above me knows his shit and his body is ready

Tajin
09-22-2011, 02:58 PM
im suprised by all the vztz legends that dont want item loot.....assuming population stays the same with item loot, would u guys still not want it????
I think people are afraid of population drop as the only deterent of item loot...... I say fuck that pop will die w/o it..... so KEEP ITEM LOOT

Daliant17447
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Item loot was the best part of EQ pvp.

Pfap
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Gonna be interesting to see how few ppl will run around solo when the overwhelming fear of only being yellowtexted back on VZTZ made a shitload of ppl only login when they had a crew to play with.
I will play regardless if there is itemloot or not, but i think itemloot will be stupid to have in the game due to the reason i just wrote, also the standard arguement about how itemloot will only be detrimental to the servers population, more ppl will quit due to itemloot being on the server then ppl not playing because it doesnt have itemloot.

Smedy
09-22-2011, 03:43 PM
lol @ pop will die without item loot..

yeah if we on vztz ever learned anything from the 3,5 year long experiment it was that item loot definitely made the pop lower and lower, and lower until they removed it.

Bockscar
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
assuming population stays the same with item loot

That's your problem right there. Wherever itemloot has ever existed, it has significantly reduced the population. I don't see how you can assume that the population stays the same with itemloot when it has been proven time and time again that it doesn't. VZTZ's population more than quadrupled when they removed itemloot. Itemloot has been removed from every single place it has existed, and has never been attempted in any MMORPG since, invariably resulting in more popularity and a healthier PvP environment. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

jilena
09-22-2011, 05:35 PM
The problem is that the majority of the people who want item loot are the ones that come off as "OMG YOU PVE ON A PVP SERVER FOR ITEMS EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO ADVANCE SO I AM GOING TO KILL YOU AND TAKE THEM BECAUSE YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO YOUR PVE SERVER BLUEBIE" and feel 100% justified in abusing game mechanics to reap the benefits of item loot with no risk to themselves.

i.e. it promotes the fun of the few at the expense of the masses which is probably not very condusive to having a healthy population.

Also. Tits.

Nirgon
09-22-2011, 08:38 PM

This is why Nilbog has a successful EQ project and you don't. The guy is dedicated to creating a classic experience which is what will keep it going.

Nirgon
09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
lol @ pop will die without item loot..

yeah if we on vztz ever learned anything from the 3,5 year long experiment it was that item loot definitely made the pop lower and lower, and lower until they removed it.

Again his comment about the griefers not being able to hold onto their advantage and continue griefing.

jilena
09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
This is why Nilbog has a successful EQ project and you don't. The guy is dedicated to creating a classic experience which is what will keep it going.

This is why you remove the level restrictions on killing. Then the level 9 raping noobs gets 1 shot by the level 50 bored with him raping noobs.

Also the flip side to this is the level 40 who spent the last month farming himself a whole set of rubi finds himself being gangraped by 3 naked wizards and loses his shit. And even though he managed to kill one of the wizards the wizard loses nothing.

Like Nilbog said people always preach doom about every change and every thing that doesn't go their way. I don't think item loot will make or break this server, I just think for optimal fun with minimal douchebaggery it should not exist or at the very least have some sort of complementary penalty for losing pvp fights. Like exp loss.

Sorath
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM

This will only entice the wolves to eat the weak minded.

Have you ever seen how the gazels travel in packs, and if in a split second one strays ..or is too young or weak to keep up with the herd it is snatched up by the jaws of nature, gone, no more, digested.

Just like the gazel the young noober will seek the pack, but will stray...curiousity? maybe. Lost? Maybe The warmth of the mother hen feeling? maybe.. and just like the gazel he will be snatched up by the jaws of a die hard killer Pvping wolf....gone,no more, DIGESTED!

vinx
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
This is why you remove the level restrictions on killing. Then the level 9 raping noobs gets 1 shot by the level 50 bored with him raping noobs.
I have a sour taste in my mouth from this style of play

Think i was between guilds and RL friends werent playing..so i load up that server for a fresh start and see whats happenin.
DAY 1: create DE necro...constantly one shotted for about an hour
*log off for the day*
DAY 2 : go back and get one shooted by the same MFer for another hour
*log back on VZ for revenge*
*3 days later i go back*
DAY 3: log in my necro... some other douche one shotting people
but i make it to EC, find a orc group. where people passing thru zone would come one shot us lol
*wait a week*
DAY 4: log on necro to start getting one shotted again (im thinking wtf?)
create wood elf to try a new area - get one shotted by some gnome wizards for a bit running around kelethin rooftops
*say fook this server*

imo this kind of griefing doesnt even give people a chance to enjoy it..much less get a foothold for your character. woulda been cool if i had got some levels under my belt and could move around (think i got to about level 8 between all the CRs lol)
idk, maybe i had the worst luck
but either way, it sucked imo
i did get some minor levels in 4 days. and had i stuck it out, it might have been cool
but there was just to much griefing happenin everywhere i went, so im not a fan of open FFA
id rather have a +/- system in place for the new player transition

on a side note: did have a couple white knights roll thru and demolish the griefers
but the knights didnt stay long...maybe 10-20mins then the griefers came right back so /shrug

Sorath
09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Leveled up to large rat, woot :)

vinx
09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Leveled up to large rat, woot :)
thats tits in a RnF thread! :D

Sorath
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Exquisite chest.

jilena
09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a sour taste in my mouth from this style of play

Think i was between guilds and RL friends werent playing..so i load up that server for a fresh start and see whats happenin.
DAY 1: create DE necro...constantly one shotted for about an hour
*log off for the day*
DAY 2 : go back and get one shooted by the same MFer for another hour
*log back on VZ for revenge*
*3 days later i go back*
DAY 3: log in my necro... some other douche one shotting people
but i make it to EC, find a orc group. where people passing thru zone would come one shot us lol
*wait a week*
DAY 4: log on necro to start getting one shotted again (im thinking wtf?)
create wood elf to try a new area - get one shotted by some gnome wizards for a bit running around kelethin rooftops
*say fook this server*

imo this kind of griefing doesnt even give people a chance to enjoy it..much less get a foothold for your character. woulda been cool if i had got some levels under my belt and could move around (think i got to about level 8 between all the CRs lol)
idk, maybe i had the worst luck
but either way, it sucked imo
i did get some minor levels in 4 days. and had i stuck it out, it might have been cool
but there was just to much griefing happenin everywhere i went, so im not a fan of open FFA
id rather have a +/- system in place for the new player transition

on a side note: did have a couple white knights roll thru and demolish the griefers
but the knights didnt stay long...maybe 10-20mins then the griefers came right back so /shrug

I dunno, I played on Sullon Zek at release (the only everquest server with this enabled) and I never had this experience, even once. Even after quitting for a long while and then coming back again way behind the curve this was never my experience.

I am not saying it didn't happen. There are always going to be tools doing this. The only difference on a level restricted server is that someone with massive cash can twink the living fuck out of a monk, and have him slaughter everyone even close to his level and go around raping noobs. On a non-level restricted server any decent human being of a higher level passing by can drop this motherfucker like a bad habit. On a level restricted server you are going to have to find someone of equal twinkitude to take him out. The smaller the level range, the worse this becomes.

UncleOzzy
09-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Pvp without loot is not CLASSIC and I will not be playing a pussie style of EQ pvp.

Bozer
09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Just to clear a myth up: item loot, especially at higher levels, does not mean everyone is running around naked. Back on Rallos, the good players always wore gear. Some people ran around with Fungi tunics. (not exactly naked). Did they die and lose their gear? Yeah sometimes. But running around naked meant you had zero chance of winning against anyone.

And heres an idea. Make lots of friends and play with them. I always wore the best gear I could find when I was running with my guild. It added so much intensity and risk to the game. And ironically, with good gear on (more at risk), the risk goes down because you are so much harder to kill.

zixxer
09-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Just to clear a myth up: item loot, especially at higher levels, does not mean everyone is running around naked. Back on Rallos, the good players always wore gear. Some people ran around with Fungi tunics. (not exactly naked). Did they die and lose their gear? Yeah sometimes. But running around naked meant you had zero chance of winning against anyone.

And heres an idea. Make lots of friends and play with them. I always wore the best gear I could find when I was running with my guild. It added so much intensity and risk to the game. And ironically, with good gear on (more at risk), the risk goes down because you are so much harder to kill.

I Agree

nilbog
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
http://turkeybowl.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/pussies.jpg

Cast
09-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I've been very uninvolved in this debate, but my first question is there a chance to use old RZ rules and have it be FFA for the corpse instead of the player with the killing blow? There was always an added value in being able to "lock" a corpse especially if it was your friends so that no one could loot it. I'd suggest using the same level limit in place for PVP so that level 1s arent locking lvl 50 players, but w/e.

Nirgon
10-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Above is classic.

Juugox2
10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
i mean i can understand it if the server was gonna be huge with 500+ ppl but i dont see that happening

dauk
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Well since this is "rants and flames" I will give my rants and flame answer that the people against item loot are panzies planning to have uber twinked lowbies and want to just dominate poorly geared lowbies without having to think twice about the risk they take wearing that gear.

99% agree...

Also, having the exp penalty in place of item-loot, is pretty much eliminated at 50, so there's really not much to lose overall in the current PvP penalty system for twinks... Since they're not the ones that will be losing the exp, but the under-geared low to mid levels they kill...Seems like the current system is penalizing the wrong people...

Billbike
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I will play either way. Dont really care anymore.

Let's see what happens. I know what will happen, but I have been wrong before.

lordyamish
10-08-2011, 08:20 PM
only issue i have with it is when somebody makes their first toon on the server, and the server already has an established player base, it makes it difficult for the new player to get ahead cause they are constantly losing all their gear

unless we're talking about single item loot here, in which case..cry more

Scailed
10-25-2011, 08:19 AM

by the time ppl are high enough to have decent gear to get looted from pvp itll be a lot harder for them to quit for good due to exp ratio. item loot would be wonderful but most cant handle it

Galanteer
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I dunno, I played on Sullon Zek at release (the only everquest server with this enabled) and I never had this experience, even once.

By week two/three Crushbone regularly had a high level necro, or such, there killing everyone trying to exp. The few higher level goods had to regularly divert back there to chase them off. This was a common threat for any goods trying to level up was high level evils (and sometimes newts) doing the rounds....

There wasn't near the same problem of twinks attacking as other have described, until later when you could have three characters per count. One character per account worked then since multi accounts was much rarer.

I really liked the no level restriction of SZ, but since it was team oriented there was incentive to help out strangers getting ganked. On a FFA server with no level restriction, gankers may have little opposition.

oldfish
10-31-2011, 12:55 PM
My heart is with item loot, but my head says only coin loss. Once twinks are abound, theres practically nothing anyone can do to stop twinked people from robbing them of the few gimp items they got.

I almost quit rallos because of this, because twinks are soooo much better than lowbies starting out, the only thing that saved my ass was the halloween event where i got 9 pieces of no drop gear during the weekend.

tbox
11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Truth.

Though, it worked on Rallos Zek because of the player base. It had an equal balance between PVE and PVP. The ruthless nature of potentially losing your hard earned pixels bred things like the anti-PK mind set, for people that were afraid of being killed and having shit stolen. It kept the system in check imo.

As much as I'd like to have item looting on Red 99, the server would need to be heavily reliant on a PNP-style rule set, and I just don't know if I see that happening with this community. We're talking about the people that will kill you for your cloth tunic when they've got 1mil plat banked just to shit on you and laugh while doing it.

Am I saying that is wrong? No. To each their own. But I can see how that would potentially scare away new players, unless they had guilds to turn to that would be there to help them, just like RZ did.

Good point basically you can make the game play just like classic but you cant duplicate the playerbase/community that was around in 1999.

tbox
11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
My heart is with item loot, but my head says only coin loss. Once twinks are abound, theres practically nothing anyone can do to stop twinked people from robbing them of the few gimp items they got.

I almost quit rallos because of this, because twinks are soooo much better than lowbies starting out, the only thing that saved my ass was the halloween event where i got 9 pieces of no drop gear during the weekend.

I believe the twink problem is not something that will be an issue for at least a few months.

Maybe in a few months if pvp twinks that don't lvl up have taken off the devs could consider making item drops for people below x lvl.