PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Arrow PvPdamage pre-Kunark

dusk883
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
It was Monty Python right? Maybe even during Kunark it was laughable, too?

lethdar
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Rangers in general were laughable. A good one would realize this and just act as a pumice / pet cc bot during mass fights.

Crenshinabon
08-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Rangers in general were laughable. A good one would realize this and just act as a pumice / pet cc bot during mass fights.

By the looks of things they should have highest dps of all the hybrids though? So technically couldn't you dish out a decent amount of damage in pvp? I have been eyeing the ranger and I would think snare/bow with sow until in range, pwn face with duel wield double attack weapons and kick.

Dps order is what? Rogue/monk/ranger/sk/paladin ? (where sk/paladin are tied both with 2hand and double attack)

Fixed

God-King Abacab
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
By the looks of things they should have highest dps of all the hybrids though? So technically couldn't you dish out a decent amount of damage in pvp? I have been eyeing the ranger and I would think snare/bow with sow until in range, pwn face with duel wield double attack weapons and kick.

Dps order is what? Monk/rogue/ranger/sk/paladin ? (where sk/paladin are tied both with 2hand and double attack)

Rogue beats out monk in DPS everytime

dusk883
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
What will Rogue fear do in Pvp I wonder?

Mippo
08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I was the top ranger on Vallon Zek and probably the top PvP ranger in the world up until I joined AfterLife. I wouldn't listen to most of the VZTZ players who were nobodies on live and only succeeded on their ghost-town of a server due to broken spell mechanics.

Rangers are probably the best class up until PoP if resists work like they did on live. The only class that will give you any trouble at all is a geared and buffed SK with HT.

Yukahwa
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
But to answer ops question..bow dps is the same as always..so not great.

Humerox
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I was the top ranger on Vallon Zek and probably the top PvP ranger in the world up until I joined AfterLife. I wouldn't listen to most of the VZTZ players who were nobodies on live and only succeeded on their ghost-town of a server due to broken spell mechanics.

Rangers are probably the best class up until PoP if resists work like they did on live. The only class that will give you any trouble at all is a geared and buffed SK with HT.

Hosfa (Nuet-SZ) would have agreed with you. Rangers were fearsome back in the day.

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 04:48 PM

More like you got killed by everybody on VZTZ and were passed around like the town whore, then whined incessantly on the forums about Snare getting resisted by people with resist gear even though the VZTZ resists were far more forgiving than live.

Rangers were absolutely awful ESPECIALLY on classic/live... until Velious. Anyone who convinces themselves otherwise is in for some very masochistic everquesting.

Rogues, rangers, and non-planar warriors are at the very bottom of the totem pole for classic-era pvp.

Humerox
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I remember them a bit differently on live...they weren't ungodly awesome until Velious, but they weren't terribad on live. The resist mechanics are a big thing...

Crenshinabon
08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Rangers were absolutely awful ESPECIALLY on classic/live... until Velious. Anyone who convinces themselves otherwise is in for some very masochistic everquesting.

Rogues, rangers, and non-planar warriors are at the very bottom of the totem pole for classic-era pvp.

I keep hearing this but what is it that makes them so bad? I have not played one (was looking at them) and it seems that they can dish out more damage than a sk or paladin and can even use kick to interupt spells. Not to mention they get sow/snare/tracking/archery.

Paladin stuns will be resisted just as much if not more than ranger snare. They also get root which lands less than snares. So this leaves paladins with no sow and a bigger heal that you can interupt with kick. SKs get some lifetaps but the damage is pretty minimal if you are in their face while they lifetap and kite them while they are higher in hp. SKs also get a snare that I did not think was as good as ranger snare and no archery or sow.

The plus I know is that these other hybrids wear plate. But in pvp its not "that" much better. I would rather have better damage and utility.
Am I missing something?

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Here's a refresher on live 1999 resists:

if you had > 100 magic resist, you resisted everything. As in, snare/root/stun/etc would land about 5% of the time.

They were gimped warriors in PvP - particularly group PvP. For some reason Verant thought it fitting to make that class chain-based (with lower hps) even though their spellset was worse than paladins and their pvp damage was lower than shadow knights. That's why they got overhauled so drastically in Velious.

Crenshinabon
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
their spellset was worse than paladins and their pvp damage was lower than shadow knights. That's why they got overhauled so drastically in Velious.

Yea I could see having no spells land anyways being a bane in pvp for all the hybrids as far as snares go. Why do you say SK damage is better? Lifetaps seem to have lower damage than autoattack/bow and he just uses a 2hander with double attack. Which in theory isnt duel wield double attack a bit more dps? And ranger even has higher weaponskills slightly.

Humerox
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah...I only piddled with RZ and didn't go serious PvP until SZ, so I missed the "true classic" Ranger.

But...knowing the problems with resist mechanics beforehand, I really think a lot of that stuff is going to be overhauled for Red99.

Given that, Rangers wouldn't be too bad even limited to classic. (imo). Would be nice if they tuned the archery problems for the class too.

dusk883
08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Yea I could see having no spells land anyways being a bane in pvp for all the hybrids as far as snares go. Why do you say SK damage is better? Lifetaps seem to have lower damage than autoattack/bow and he just uses a 2hander with double attack. Which in theory isnt duel wield double attack a bit more dps? And ranger even has higher weaponskills slightly.

I'm no eq expert and I was usually drunk when I was playing on TZ back in 99-03 era... but I remember this, maybe will shed some light:

I can't count how many times I was sitting there with either of my "main" guys, an enchanter and/or necro.... let's say mid 40s, 50s... a SK comes from behind me and I'm LOADING PLEASE WAIT before I could put the beer back on the table often times. Usually some big bastard ogre or troll.

Then sometimes a Ranger might do the same thing but without the LOADING please wait part. After I get the first chuckle out, then we might have ourselves a fight.

just files from my memory.

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I keep hearing this but what is it that makes them so bad? I have not played one (was looking at them) and it seems that they can dish out more damage than a sk or paladin and can even use kick to interupt spells. Not to mention they get sow/snare/tracking/archery.

Paladin stuns will be resisted just as much if not more than ranger snare. They also get root which lands less than snares. So this leaves paladins with no sow and a bigger heal that you can interupt with kick. SKs get some lifetaps but the damage is pretty minimal if you are in their face while they lifetap and kite them while they are higher in hp. SKs also get a snare that I did not think was as good as ranger snare and no archery or sow.

The plus I know is that these other hybrids wear plate. But in pvp its not "that" much better. I would rather have better damage and utility.
Am I missing something?

Kick does not interrupt.

Paladins are MUCH harder to kill, have higher base defense/hp, and do nearly as much damage.

Shadow Knights can dish out unresistable spike damage that makes rangers cry (life leech + boil blood + harm touch?), and have actual utility in pvp with shadowstep and harmshield. And they also have better defense/hp. Do not kid yourself into thinking that SK damage is "minimal" in pvp.

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM

You don't use DW in pvp (most of the time) because you aren't fighting NPCs, you're fighting a pc target that is moving constantly and frequently negating the fact that your weapons have low delay.

In the event that you NEED to use your spells or attack from a range, a SK's unresistable DoT/lifetap work a hell of a lot better than the Ranger trying to hit you with Immolate. Or a paladin using greater healing while a ranger is stuck using normal healing.

Xantille
08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
the top PvP ranger in the world

dusk883
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I work best with pictures.

SK:

http://www.fest21.com/files/images/MUHAMMAD%20ALI.preview.jpg

Ranger:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1bihBTkxZPo/Tg4CKHRJ7sI/AAAAAAAADkg/tkh-j8J86w0/s1600/1303049787-59.jpg

End result:

http://www.historyguy.com/sportshistory/muhammad-ali-sonny_liston.jpg

Yukahwa
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeup. If Ogres could be rangers they might be on the same playing field.

Darksinga
08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm sure ranger will do good with fear weapons or yaks. Not so sure how they will fare without those though.

Darksinga
08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Kick does not interrupt.

Paladins are MUCH harder to kill, have higher base defense/hp, and do nearly as much damage.

Shadow Knights can dish out unresistable spike damage that makes rangers cry (life leech + boil blood + harm touch?), and have actual utility in pvp with shadowstep and harmshield. And they also have better defense/hp. Do not kid yourself into thinking that SK damage is "minimal" in pvp.

sks dont get life leech in classic. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=445 should be the highest life tap if I'm correct. which is only 105 dmg/heal.

lethdar
08-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sure ranger will do good with fear weapons or yaks. Not so sure how they will fare without those though.

Your posts are always so terrible, but considering how awful you are in game I guess that is to be expected.

Scribbles
08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
More like you got killed by everybody on VZTZ and were passed around like the town whore, then whined incessantly on the forums about Snare getting resisted by people with resist gear even though the VZTZ resists were far more forgiving than live.

hahahaaha funny cuz its true

Darksinga
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Your posts are always so terrible, but considering how awful you are in game I guess that is to be expected.

???

Never once played on the same server as you pal. and the post makes perfect sense. Bard dps for instance blows, but if I have x2 yaks will I be meleeing rather than drum dotting? of course. Same scenario for rangers.

raptorak
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Only one person has said it so far so I imagine many here are just "imagining" what PVP would be like. Melee PVP is not standing next to eachother dpsing, it is running around like an idiot jousting.

No way am I gonna stand still and wait for you to hit me. Rooted means I shadow step. I will equip the slowest, highest damage 2 hander possible and smack you in the face with it while jousting at you. No way will I stand around and get DPSed by a dual-wielding numpty.

By far the most dangerous were the bards, who are unkillable, as well as shamans, and druids were pretty bad too. My tactic was to hang around Innothule and jump underwater when the cast came. SK vs paladin was well balanced although I'm not sure if you can fear these days. Charm was quite a terrible thing as well, getting charmed out of your group and gang raped by gnomes.

Your best bet as a ranger is to make sure no one sees you (ok joking) or run in and out with sow on with a 2hander and hope your opponent is too slow, run away heal and repeat. You are going to have to whittle your target down and use your mobility, track them down and you will catch that SK recovering his life tapping on moss snakes and OOM - then you can snare him and dps his ass. Make sure you level archery anyway cos it is annoying being rooted, trying to cast and then being shot over and over. Basically it ain't gonna be pretty but it might work.

TBH at lower levels even casters put out a good smack in the face with a high damage staff, as most hits in PvP (back on tallon) were for full damage.