PDA

View Full Version : Strength and damage

Rainflush
08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
As I recall there was a good thread about this somewhere though I've not been able to find it with the forum Search function. One of my characters is an Erudite paladin, as such he's not the brawniest fellow around, in fact I believe his highest ability score is actually his intelligence. From what I understand, one's strength score has little bearing on melee damage and mainly serves to increase carrying capacity, though I've read one or two articles which argue otherwise. As my swarthy paladin is almost constantly encumbered, I've been keen to acquire items which would increase the amount of weight he can carry, though I wonder if my money and effort would be better directed toward procuring weight-reducing containers so that I could shift my statistical emphasis to something else (stamina, I suppose). I was hoping some experienced melee players could give me their impressions on the value of strength to the close-combat classes (aside from the rogue, of course).

Also, I was curious about minimum weapon damage. My maximum and average damage are fairly respectable, though I can sometimes hit for 2 points of damage with a Nathsar Greatsword (17/30 +10 Strength), which is somewhat embarrassing. Is it known what designates minimum damage, and does minimum damage increase as one gains levels?

Thank you.

Estu
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Strength definitely affects damage - it increases your max damage as well as how often you hit for max damage. It's extremely important for doing high melee DPS. As a paladin, though, your role isn't to do damage but to take damage, so you would want to focus more on stamina, hit points, and resists, and make strength and DPS a second priority.

Snaggles
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Actually strength plays a MASSIVE role in attack power. I don't know the conversion but it's the only thing that adds it besides attack+ spells.

As a Paladin it doesn't really matter as the gap with Stam/Str between the races is negligable but with SK's for pure stats an Ogre is a noticable difference killing mobs over a dark elf.

I would play the Erudite if you like the look. Expect to do pretty crappy damage your entire life (low skill caps and not many offense spells) but have heals to back you up. At full Mana a Pally has about 5 or so lifebars so a versatile slow & steady player wins the race. ;).

Edit: As mentioned it's not your role. Damage with a 1hander/shield also pales compared to a 2hander but helps your main goal of being a dmg sponge. With buffs, haste and levels it gets better but set your expectations accordingly.

raptorak
08-25-2011, 09:05 PM
I really only play melee classes and there is a big difference when your str is in the 100-120+ range like the trolls and especially ogres. I remember playing human paladin and he was weak-sauce compared to my troll sk. I think if you could get your str into those ranges you will see a lot less of those 2 damage hits.

Rainflush
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Thank you for your replies, it's encouraging to hear that strength indeed plays a significant role in melee combat. I understand the frequency of maximum damage and minimum damage are adjusted by one's strength and level, but do the figures themselves ever change? If a level 60 paladin was using my Nathsar Greatsword, would there be any chance of him hitting for 2 damage, or would his minimum damage itself have increased?

Snaggles
08-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Always a chance depending on level/AC of mob I guess. More likely it would be a miss or substantially more due to damage caps, weapon dmg bonus, skill and attack power.

Your Erudite will be a powerhouse with a 2hander someday. Not perhaps like an ogre warrior with the same weapon but it should keep a decent pace considering the other perks (like your spells and crazy mana pool).

Keep rolling if you like it. It will get better!

Wildas
08-26-2011, 12:14 AM
A 60 paladin will never hit for 2 with any weapon. Minimum hit (for primary hand weapons) is damage bonus + 1.