PDA

View Full Version : Does Charisma affect enchanters, Dex - necros?

beentheredonethat
08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,

I always was wondering this, but never really got a full understanding. Does Charisma affect enchanter spells, or Dexterity for necro spells? And is there some formula which shows how much it affects it if any?

I've heard people say that there is a benefit, but it's very low. Some have said it's a huge benefit. But I could never really get a good concrete answer on how much does it really matter exactly.

Anyone can advice?

Geoduck
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't have any statistical info for you, but the other enchanters I've talked to have noticed no noticeable difference in the duration of charm with different amounts of charisma. That being said, myself and other enchanters I know still wear charisma gear while charming. In other situations I wear int or hp gear.

Kevlar
08-25-2011, 05:37 PM
I have no hard data but I think charm works like selling to a vendor. At crappy levels of charisma you get negative modifiers, charm breaks frequently, once you get to a certain minimum level it doesn't have any positive modifier.

Its pretty noticeable on my druid, my base charisma is only like 70. I have to equip some charisma gear to get up to 105 and my charms are a lot more stable. Mob level has a bigger effect than charisma though, whites or mobs that just turned dark blue break a lot more often than lower level blues or light blues.

Snaggles
08-25-2011, 05:37 PM
It does have an impact on your Vampiric Embrace procs and I think plays a factor with melee skill gains.

Dagger time!

Tux
08-25-2011, 06:53 PM
If CHA did affect charm on live the difference between 100 CHA and max was too small to notice. It did not affect mez and I dont know about lull.

How I'm reading it (i only glanced at it) is charm makes a periodic check (probably per tick) which does use lvl, mr and cha. See here:

http://www.google.com/codesearch#gBbYfVgiBxk/trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/aggro.cpp&q=PassCharismaCheck%20package:http://projecteqemu\.googlecode\.com&type=cs

Search for "PassCharismaCheck".

Note that this may be modified on P99 and not be accurate here.

Seaweedpimp
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Pretty sure druid and necro charm has nothing to do with cha.

On that note i think dex helps your channeling.

Popt
08-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Charisma helps with lull aggro as far as I can tell. I rarely get aggro from calm resists when I have 255 char, and it happens more frequently when not in charisma gear. As for charm, I have no idea how much charisma really helps, yet I still choose it over int/mana gear.

Uthgaard
08-25-2011, 08:42 PM

This.

Yukahwa
08-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Well I know that CHA has no effect on druid charm. I read that on this forum.

I thought it did with enchanters though. Im surprised this iss till up fer debate? No one knows for sure?

Seaweedpimp
08-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Cha affects charm for chanters. Seems like lull, not 100% sure on lull.

Mardur
08-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I knew a lot of Druids and Necros that swore by charisma for charming. Not sure if anything's changed since I quit.

beentheredonethat
08-26-2011, 12:46 AM
If CHA did affect charm on live the difference between 100 CHA and max was too small to notice. It did not affect mez and I dont know about lull.

How I'm reading it (i only glanced at it) is charm makes a periodic check (probably per tick) which does use lvl, mr and cha. See here:

http://www.google.com/codesearch#gBbYfVgiBxk/trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/aggro.cpp&q=PassCharismaCheck%20package:http://projecteqemu\.googlecode\.com&type=cs

Search for "PassCharismaCheck".

just looked more through the code. that makes sense. charisma for charm spells does make a huge difference just as much as the level difference.

r1 = ((targetMR + targetLevel / 3)) / (targetMaxMR + random(-10, 10);
r2 = ((casterCH + casterLevel / 3)) / (casterMaxCH + random(-10, 10);
success = r1 < r2;

haints
08-26-2011, 03:20 AM
I've played a chanter a little too long to not know this, but what about mezzes? Does cha have affect on them?

Uthgaard
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
We split off from eqemu code base about 2 years ago, and we have rewritten almost everything involving charm. You won't learn anything about charming on p99 by looking at their code.

Extunarian
08-26-2011, 11:58 AM
If p99 source is trying to emulate classic, once you charm something every tick wiill check three saves to see if charm breaks:
- the most important number is levels-above-NPC
- next was the MR of the mob
- CHA was the 3rd and least likely to succeed save.

If it is like that here I have no idea, but tash+malo+charming low dark blues is usually a recipe for success.

I also noticed I had far more success charming here once I hit 39 and got cajoling whispers. Not sure if it was because of the higher level spell or because the 'dark blue range' gets larger as you increase in levels.

Striiker
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I also noticed I had far more success charming here once I hit 39 and got cajoling whispers. Not sure if it was because of the higher level spell or because the 'dark blue range' gets larger as you increase in levels.

This is accurate from what I have experienced and read about. Charm prior to this point was not at all like how it was on live back in 1999 / 2000. Once you got to this level and spell, charm fell inline with how it was on live.

As for the original question, charisma does have a noticeable impact upon charm (both in landing the charm and for the resist check every tick on the server). Additionally, the magic resistance is a factor (so yes, debuffing will have a noticeable impact). Finally, the level difference between the charmer and the intended charm target will factor in (this was not in any order). At lower levels, these are (or at least were) significantly off. On live in 99/2000 I could reliably charm even and yellow con mobs and rip through reds (I did this a LOT in North Karana). Here, charm lasted only for a couple of ticks if that so I gave up and solo'd (when I had to) with my animation pet.