PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a cheater...

Cheater
08-28-2011, 02:51 AM
I used MQ2 and have had my account suspended. I broke the rules, I accept the punishment with zero QQ about it. Yes I am anonymous though you probably wouldn't know my character anyways as I'm not guilded, I don't post in the forums and I am generally under the radar. I play the game to enjoy myself and had no intentions of "ruining" it for anyone else. This post is meant to be an informational thread about what these programs can and can't do so if you wish to RNF me then be my guest but please don't shit up the thread. There is nothing more ridiculous then watching a bunch of people nerd rage about things they really don't know anything about and I'm seeing it right now. MQ2 and ShowEQ (aka MySeq) do not give you god mode, allow you to dupe or any of the other wild claims I see being thrown out there. In most cases they give convenience and small (in some cases larger) advantages. This isn't an attempt to justify their use, only clear the air so that those who don't know about them can understand what they do.

Why did I do it? Habit I guess. Let me start from the beginning. I played EQ in classic era and never once hacked, cheated or anything of the like. I didn't know about it and wouldn't have wanted to risk losing my account over it. A few years back I had a craving for EQ again and found that live simply wasn't the EQ I remembered so I began searching around and found a classic era EQEMU server and decided to play on it. Except that it was pvp which was something I had never done in EQ. Ultima online I was all about PvP, but in EQ I was pure blubie. At any rate I decided to log on and give it a shot and it wasn't long before I became hooked. Sure some things were different, but at the time it was by far the closest thing I had found to classic EQ so I stuck with it.

Most of my time on VZTZ was enjoyable and in contrast to what you see posted on these boards a lot of the players were actually pretty good people. However there were some definite known hackers and they were very apparent. I played by the rules for most of my time there, but eventually frustration gave in to me searching around for what they were using. I hardly ever attacked anyone on sight and usually traveled alone anyways, but I simply got tired of trying to play fair against those that weren't. Hanging out in south karana with no one else there, then seeing one person on the /who list who was not a tracking class magically sniff me out in 30 seconds got old. As did seeing them run away at bard speed anytime I actually started winning the fight. So it didn't take long to find both MQ2 and MYSeq, learn to use them and at least have a fighting chance.

So what do they do?

MYSeq is a seperate program that runs outside of everquest that shows a live text map of any zone you're in. It lists all mobs in the zone, a live update of their positions and a list you can sort by name, level, etc.. It logs information about all of the spawns and pathing and will update the map with that information the longer you stay in the zone. It also lists what the mob/pc is equipping in their hands(to an extent). It generally uses a generic name but you can tell if it's a weapon, shield, book, etc.. I hardly used this program as I found it to be a pain to always alt-tab out of it, and hated running EQ in a small window to see both at once but the most powerful features I knew about was the rare mob alarms and the spawn information. You could set an alarm to go off anytime a named mob popped up so you'd be alerted instantly. It would also keep track of what spawned where, give you a time and mark the spot with an "x". The x would even change colors depending on how soon the spawn was going to happen and would begin flashing when it was within 30 seconds of popping. I used this on VZTZ to figure out how to spawn rare mobs in places like Rathe Mountains and South Karana. If you cleared a ton of mobs and a rare popped, it would show you which spawn spot it popped in and then you'd know what one to camp. As I said however I didn't use this program on this server as I just didn't want to spend the effort. It may be capable of a lot more than what I knew about it, but this was it's main use. Keep in mind however that the program didn't make the spawn pop, allow you to kill it in one hit or speed up the process. You still had to camp it like anyone else, it just made it easier to figure out tricky rare spawn conditions and locations.

What I did use however was macroquest, though in this version hardly any of the "hacks" actually worked. MQ2 requires you to either compile it yourself based on which features you want it to have available(or real hackers could make their own), or to find a precompiled version specific to the version of your eqgame.exe. It didn't take long to find one that worked specifically with the titanium client and was the same version I had used with VZTZ. As I mentioned however most of the really ridiculous stuff never worked on VZTZ, nor did I even try it here. The quickest way to get caught using it is to do things that stood out and made it obvious. Warping, runspeed, etc.. In fact out of all the features that even worked I only used it for 5 and they were pure convenience. The convenience I speak of are full time buffs of things my character could already do, but saved me time and effort in not having to do them. By simply typing in a command you could give yourself ultravision, see invisible, water breathing and even the ability to see underwater or lava without the murkiness. Now on a blubie server this isn't that big of a deal as it doesn't really effect other players, it simply gives you an advantage. No need for EB earring or fish scales to keep casting the spell. On a PvP server however you can see how broken it would be to NOT have it when most people did.

The biggest thing I found useful was the tracking. MQ2 gave you the ability to track just as if you were a Ranger/Druid/Bard, except there were no limits to the range. You could sort it by level, name, player, npc, etc.. I've never played a high level ranger and have no clue what their tracking is like, but my guess is that MQ2 version is superior. It also showed mobs with a "#" in front of the name which normally denotes they're special. You know that Quillemain cycle in SK? Well instead of just killing all lionesses and elephant calves, you could tell which ones were the triggers by the # in front of their name making the job much easier. Oh and you could use the /target command on npcs and mobs which isn't usually allowed. So if a mob isn't directly targetable at the moment you can manually do it. You can imagine how nasty this was in PvP targeting someone across the zone and retargeting if they go invisible on you.

What these programs do NOT do is dupe items, give you exp faster, magically make you level 60 or invulnerability or anything of that nature which it seems like people are wilding claiming. These types of things are traceable by the GM's and people would have to be stupid to try any of them. My character wasn't rich, wasn't level 60 and didn't lock down any specific camps or mobs during the game. I probably lost about 8k between my characters with the coin wipe. If anything I was extremely helpful and if anyone profited it was new people to the server that I always went out of my way to help, give items to, etc..

So basically what I'm getting at is we are cheaters as we broke the rules, but while it gave an advantage it didn't simply let us go afk and wake up level 60 or anything ridiculous like that. Those are the mad ramblings of people who want to make you THINK that's what was happening as if to somehow detract from any legitimate accomplishments a player may have made. These programs work great for tracking rare mobs in large zones, but in a dungeon you already know where the mobs are at, their spawn time, etc.. Knowing they're up isn't all that advantageous if you're already capable of killing the creatures. So for Quillemaine, Bilge, Hunter/Forager,etc.. they gave a noticeable advantage to characters that didn't have tracking. Otherwise the advantages weren't all that game breaking, just very convenient.

Again I'm not attempting to justify anything, but to my knowledge the level of "cheating" going around wasn't anywhere near as game crushing as some people are being lead to believe. Sure it could have happened but I never once saw it, and being from VZTZ I'd have known it if I did. Personally whether or not I had cheated I'd have been far more forgiving to know the guy next to me could see invisible without casting the spell than I would the guy on the other side who duped 500k gold and was exploiting a mobs pathing in Kedge Keep to gain level 60 in a week. Both of which mind you have NOTHING to do with hacking programs. In fact I'd say for anything detrimental to other players on a blue server, exploits are far more disastrous than the hacking and tracking shortcuts that were being used.

At any rate I'll take my lumps and be back in game in two weeks, even if the suspension turned to a permanent ban and I have to start new. Why? Because I enjoy everquest and the cheating wasn't something I required to enjoy it, it was just so easy that I kind of felt compelled to. Not an excuse, just an honest statement. I'm not surprised and had a feeling that new DLL had to do with Rogean's hack detection, but I was too content at the time to think much of it. Honestly I almost took all of my items and put them on another account in fear of this, but you'll be happy to know I never did so my punishment is in full. Yes perhaps the GMs are lenient, but going from 60 to 54 is a huge loss no matter how you cut it. Even if they AOE group themselves for 72 hours straight we all know that isn't fun and they will all feel the sting. For those with huge stores of plat.. well they will feel it even more.

In closing I can say I'm actually sort of happy about this. Knowing that no one else is cheating and using third party programs takes away any reason for me to even want to do it and I can just play the game as intended. You may instantly damn anyone who "cheats", though I assure you not all of us are douchebags in game. I'd be willing to bet most of you have run across these so called "cheaters" and would have had no clue. You think "cheater" and automatically assume they're assholes in game who train, poop-sock, dupe and the like but I know many were unassuming players like anyone else who probably even helped you or someone you know at some point or another. I would know, I'm one of those people. If you've ever been given items out of sheer kindness, been randomly buffed by a higher level character, had someone help you break a camp that you couldn't do alone, etc.. Then one of those times it was a filthy cheater. Who knows, it could have be me...

Macken
08-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Blue Hax

Teflon
08-28-2011, 02:59 AM
lotsa shit

wow, after reading that and learning specifically what some of these programs do, I am even more delighted that you got fucking caught and punished. Fuck off.

Ektar
08-28-2011, 03:31 AM
guys: worth reading this or not? I will trust the first person to answer me.

vinx
08-28-2011, 03:35 AM
guys: worth reading this or not? I will trust the first person to answer me.
no, if you know what MQ/SEQ is, or have an idea what it does then no
OP just feelin sympathetic for his actions

Ektar
08-28-2011, 03:36 AM
I actually don't know really. maybe I'll give it a READ

tomorrow I'm so tired

Teflon
08-28-2011, 03:39 AM
i like the part where you acknowledge that this place is a good, special, rare thing to have, and then you willingly nearly fuck yourself out of that experience. Best part imo.

raptorak
08-28-2011, 03:54 AM
So basically these programs allow you to do everything EXCEPT god mode and instant level 60. If you use an aimbot you can also be shot and killed. What damage you do with these programs is belittle the accomplishments of other players.

Put it this way - what you are doing is like taking all the drugs under the sun to prepare for the Olympics and saying you didn't really cheat that much - sure you still have to train, but so does everyone else and they didn't take those performance enhancing drugs.

Cheating at Everquest doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I'm sure you are fine person in other aspects of your life. I myself cheated with many single player games to make things more convenient/fun, Diablo inventory was a pain in the ass and sometimes you just gotta no-clip when you can't find that hidden keycard in XYZ old-school fps. I also glitched my archery up to Grandmaster in Ultima Online back in the day, I'm not saying it was the right thing to do and it was a great way to save me time, but it was definitely unfair and if I had been caught it would have been fair enough. But some people here take Everquest very seriously and it is a part of their life - you have to realise EQ is a multiplayer game at heart so you can't just go around cheating as it is unfair on the other legit players. If you were exploiting bugs in the game I would be far more sympathetic as everyone can do that with the tools they are given to play the game, but using 3rd party programs is a definite and unfair advantage.

mitic
08-28-2011, 05:46 AM
quillmane is srs business

Cheater
08-28-2011, 09:32 AM
But some people here take Everquest very seriously and it is a part of their life

Quoted for truth. It's a 12 year old game on an emulated server and it is taken less seriously by most than it used to be. Jobs, kids and other RL things are more important now so using cheats don't carry the same weight to some as they would have when the game was live.

As far as the olympic steroids statement this is a great analogy. People tend to assume the only "cheaters" are the ones who get caught, when in reality they were just the ones that failed at hiding it. Steroids are far more widely used than most people think it's just that some coaches know better ways of hiding it than others. Just as on this server there were far more people cheating than people ever realized.

And while we're on steroids as an analogy let's remember that they're performance enhancing drugs. They do not give you any new talents you didn't possess beforehand, they enhance the ones that you already possess. Similar to cheats in this game. They don't make you a good player, they just make doing the things you're already doing easier. If you suck at EQ then you're still going to suck with hacks because you won't even know how to utilize them.

As far as exploits in game, I have to disagree. Anyone could have found MQ2 within 10 minutes of searching so if you're on the internet then you did have access to the same cheats as others. The in game exploits are potentially more damaging to the server and just because "more" people have access to them doesn't make them any "fairer". I mean what you fear more from a server health point of view? A group of people running around EC with full time ultravision and enduring breath? Or the guy sitting in the corner of the tunnel duping plat?

Whether or not you used MQ, Showeq or were exploiting bugs in the game, it's all cheating and there are different levels of it.

mitic
08-28-2011, 09:37 AM
emu or not, 12 years old or just released

all of that doesnt count, a game is a game and P99 can be taken as srsly as a game just released

Cheater
08-28-2011, 10:11 AM

all of that doesnt count, a game is a game and P99 can be taken as srsly as a game just released

Mitic I'm not condoning the reasoning, I'm just explaining why some players probably decided to use these programs.

There was a time where I treated Street Fighter 2 as seriously as a heart attack. Played religiously for years, entered tournaments and knew everything there was to know about the game. I still love the game and it's a classic, but I would never treat it as seriously as I did back then. It's been 20 years, if I were ever to take it that seriously again then then I'd be doing something wrong. Now I play it for fun and nostalgia, and to occasionally trounce some young fool who thinks he's good at it even though I was playing it when he was a twinkle in his momma's eye.

Same goes for everquest. An awesome game that I sunk many of my hours into, but if I were to play it as seriously as I did back in the day then I probably wouldn't have a job and would die of a heartattack due to lack of exercise. It's not 1999 anymore, the game is nostalgic and lets players experience the game that we did all that time ago. It's ok to take the game more seriously than others, but these idiots foaming at the mouth and spitting all over their monitors enraged by this "cheating revelation" should take a deep breath and get over it. Unless the cheaters were directly interfering with your game and rubbing your nose in it, why so much anger?

Rogean cleaned house and the use of those programs are now null and void. Problem solved, let's move on.

Vile
08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
you're a pussy brah

Cheater
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
you're a pussy brah

Yes totally, because idiots calling others pussy and brah over the internet are the real tough guys. :rolleyes:

Vile
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes totally, because idiots calling others pussy and brah over the internet are the real tough guys. :rolleyes:

http://vilesyntax.com/images/donttrollmebro.jpg

Harrison
08-28-2011, 10:40 AM
lol cheaters...fucking scum.

EnderWiggin
08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Disappoint. Was hoping there would be some sort of erotic adultery story in this thread.

This is an elaborate justification in disguise. Change your ip, start again. Don't cheat.

Moving on.

Solter
08-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Well.....I appreciate the effort it took to write this. The guy spent some time on it and if it helps him feel better about it...it's all good. But I must say, if these guys wanted to make EQ "easier" then why not just play live. That's why I'm here and not on live because SOE gimped the game. If you were looking to camp mobs for uber drops and used a cheat then this means you were more interested in the drop than the game and/or the satisfaction that comes with a successful camp. Again I say why not just play live. If you just want the drop you can buy plat on live with real $$ and have all the uber gear you want. I'm not hammering you. I've done stupid shit in my life and getting busted always sucks. Pick yourself up and roll on big river....

Solter
08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Problem solved, let's move on.

Yes. Let's. I'm taking my SK to level 28 today. Nothing will prevent this from happening. I'm committed. It's a done deal.

Cheater
08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Disappoint. Was hoping there would be some sort of erotic adultery story in this thread.

This is an elaborate justification in disguise. Change your ip, start again. Don't cheat.

If that's what you gleamed from this then it's my fail. It's not a justification, I cheated and account was suspended. I think the GMs were extremely lenient to be quite honest and if there were less people doing it then I'm sure it it would have been instant perma-ban. The fact that so many were caught shows how widespread it had truly become.

The post was mainly to explain to those asking why someone would cheat, and what exactly were the cheats being used. I just provided that from my experience. People can hate on it all they like, I provided info that many were wondering.

Well.....I appreciate the effort it took to write this. The guy spent some time on it and if it helps him feel better about it...it's all good. But I must say, if these guys wanted to make EQ "easier" then why not just play live. That's why I'm here and not on live because SOE gimped the game. If you were looking to camp mobs for uber drops and used a cheat then this means you were more interested in the drop than the game and/or the satisfaction that comes with a successful camp. Again I say why not just play live. If you just want the drop you can buy plat on live with real $$ and have all the uber gear you want. I'm not hammering you. I've done stupid shit in my life and getting busted always sucks. Pick yourself up and roll on big river....

Again, my point was that for 95% of the game and rare mobs out there, the cheats didn't really provide any advantage. I camped the AoF with my character for 8 hours to get my first Rubicite BP, just like any other person at the time had to. Enduring breath, ultravision, see invis and tracking didn't provide any extra help in this situation and the majority of other situations in the game. Didn't help for Lower Guk spawns, Sol B, etc.. It also didn't help me gain any levels because like everyone else I had to kill said mob the same number of times. I doubt most players have to rely on tracking to find a good spot to kill the same mob 1000x times. The only way this could benefit someone is if they abused the free EB to level in Kedge Keep, though with the horrid pathing I doubt this would have been profitable.

Where it DID help was rare mobs that spawned in different ways than in live. And I dare say some of you out there have probably indirectly benefitted from these "cheaters" whether or not you want to acknowledge that fact or not. If someone used ShowEQ to figure out a rare spawn cycle then passed that knowledge on then you have benefitted. If you didn't figure out Quillemaine, AC in Sro, Petrafin, etc.. on your own and were given that information from someone else, then there's a good chance it was a "cheater" who initially shared that information. I would know, I personally passed on all of my knowledge to anyone who asked me because my goal wasn't to be selfish with my advantages. If someone asked me about any spawn that I personally knew about that was different from Live, then I spilled the beans.

Now given that, if you did personally spend the time to figure out these spawns on your own then I applaud you and will say if anyone, YOU have a right to be upset.

Perhaps I should petition in game (well in 2 weeks when i can log on again), and list the names of people who I know have benefitted from this information or any new players over the last few months that I've given out items, plat and the benefit of my buffs and overall help? :p

"Sorry but we're going to have to roll back your exp by this amount due to the assistance of a known haxx0r! Oh and that Pegasus cloak you have, ya we're taking that away since you were told about how to make Quill spawn by another haxx0r!".

Tamiah2011
08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I used MQ2 and have had my account suspended. I broke the rules, I accept the punishment with zero QQ about it. Yes I am anonymous though you probably wouldn't know my character anyways as I'm not guilded, I don't post in the forums and I am generally under the radar. I play the game to enjoy myself and had no intentions of "ruining" it for anyone else. This post is meant to be an informational thread about what these programs can and can't do so if you wish to RNF me then be my guest but please don't shit up the thread. There is nothing more ridiculous then watching a bunch of people nerd rage about things they really don't know anything about and I'm seeing it right now. MQ2 and ShowEQ (aka MySeq) do not give you god mode, allow you to dupe or any of the other wild claims I see being thrown out there. In most cases they give convenience and small (in some cases larger) advantages. This isn't an attempt to justify their use, only clear the air so that those who don't know about them can understand what they do.

Why did I do it? Habit I guess. Let me start from the beginning. I played EQ in classic era and never once hacked, cheated or anything of the like. I didn't know about it and wouldn't have wanted to risk losing my account over it. A few years back I had a craving for EQ again and found that live simply wasn't the EQ I remembered so I began searching around and found a classic era EQEMU server and decided to play on it. Except that it was pvp which was something I had never done in EQ. Ultima online I was all about PvP, but in EQ I was pure blubie. At any rate I decided to log on and give it a shot and it wasn't long before I became hooked. Sure some things were different, but at the time it was by far the closest thing I had found to classic EQ so I stuck with it.

Most of my time on VZTZ was enjoyable and in contrast to what you see posted on these boards a lot of the players were actually pretty good people. However there were some definite known hackers and they were very apparent. I played by the rules for most of my time there, but eventually frustration gave in to me searching around for what they were using. I hardly ever attacked anyone on sight and usually traveled alone anyways, but I simply got tired of trying to play fair against those that weren't. Hanging out in south karana with no one else there, then seeing one person on the /who list who was not a tracking class magically sniff me out in 30 seconds got old. As did seeing them run away at bard speed anytime I actually started winning the fight. So it didn't take long to find both MQ2 and MYSeq, learn to use them and at least have a fighting chance.

So what do they do?

MYSeq is a seperate program that runs outside of everquest that shows a live text map of any zone you're in. It lists all mobs in the zone, a live update of their positions and a list you can sort by name, level, etc.. It logs information about all of the spawns and pathing and will update the map with that information the longer you stay in the zone. It also lists what the mob/pc is equipping in their hands(to an extent). It generally uses a generic name but you can tell if it's a weapon, shield, book, etc.. I hardly used this program as I found it to be a pain to always alt-tab out of it, and hated running EQ in a small window to see both at once but the most powerful features I knew about was the rare mob alarms and the spawn information. You could set an alarm to go off anytime a named mob popped up so you'd be alerted instantly. It would also keep track of what spawned where, give you a time and mark the spot with an "x". The x would even change colors depending on how soon the spawn was going to happen and would begin flashing when it was within 30 seconds of popping. I used this on VZTZ to figure out how to spawn rare mobs in places like Rathe Mountains and South Karana. If you cleared a ton of mobs and a rare popped, it would show you which spawn spot it popped in and then you'd know what one to camp. As I said however I didn't use this program on this server as I just didn't want to spend the effort. It may be capable of a lot more than what I knew about it, but this was it's main use. Keep in mind however that the program didn't make the spawn pop, allow you to kill it in one hit or speed up the process. You still had to camp it like anyone else, it just made it easier to figure out tricky rare spawn conditions and locations.

What I did use however was macroquest, though in this version hardly any of the "hacks" actually worked. MQ2 requires you to either compile it yourself based on which features you want it to have available(or real hackers could make their own), or to find a precompiled version specific to the version of your eqgame.exe. It didn't take long to find one that worked specifically with the titanium client and was the same version I had used with VZTZ. As I mentioned however most of the really ridiculous stuff never worked on VZTZ, nor did I even try it here. The quickest way to get caught using it is to do things that stood out and made it obvious. Warping, runspeed, etc.. In fact out of all the features that even worked I only used it for 5 and they were pure convenience. The convenience I speak of are full time buffs of things my character could already do, but saved me time and effort in not having to do them. By simply typing in a command you could give yourself ultravision, see invisible, water breathing and even the ability to see underwater or lava without the murkiness. Now on a blubie server this isn't that big of a deal as it doesn't really effect other players, it simply gives you an advantage. No need for EB earring or fish scales to keep casting the spell. On a PvP server however you can see how broken it would be to NOT have it when most people did.

The biggest thing I found useful was the tracking. MQ2 gave you the ability to track just as if you were a Ranger/Druid/Bard, except there were no limits to the range. You could sort it by level, name, player, npc, etc.. I've never played a high level ranger and have no clue what their tracking is like, but my guess is that MQ2 version is superior. It also showed mobs with a "#" in front of the name which normally denotes they're special. You know that Quillemain cycle in SK? Well instead of just killing all lionesses and elephant calves, you could tell which ones were the triggers by the # in front of their name making the job much easier. Oh and you could use the /target command on npcs and mobs which isn't usually allowed. So if a mob isn't directly targetable at the moment you can manually do it. You can imagine how nasty this was in PvP targeting someone across the zone and retargeting if they go invisible on you.

What these programs do NOT do is dupe items, give you exp faster, magically make you level 60 or invulnerability or anything of that nature which it seems like people are wilding claiming. These types of things are traceable by the GM's and people would have to be stupid to try any of them. My character wasn't rich, wasn't level 60 and didn't lock down any specific camps or mobs during the game. I probably lost about 8k between my characters with the coin wipe. If anything I was extremely helpful and if anyone profited it was new people to the server that I always went out of my way to help, give items to, etc..

So basically what I'm getting at is we are cheaters as we broke the rules, but while it gave an advantage it didn't simply let us go afk and wake up level 60 or anything ridiculous like that. Those are the mad ramblings of people who want to make you THINK that's what was happening as if to somehow detract from any legitimate accomplishments a player may have made. These programs work great for tracking rare mobs in large zones, but in a dungeon you already know where the mobs are at, their spawn time, etc.. Knowing they're up isn't all that advantageous if you're already capable of killing the creatures. So for Quillemaine, Bilge, Hunter/Forager,etc.. they gave a noticeable advantage to characters that didn't have tracking. Otherwise the advantages weren't all that game breaking, just very convenient.

Again I'm not attempting to justify anything, but to my knowledge the level of "cheating" going around wasn't anywhere near as game crushing as some people are being lead to believe. Sure it could have happened but I never once saw it, and being from VZTZ I'd have known it if I did. Personally whether or not I had cheated I'd have been far more forgiving to know the guy next to me could see invisible without casting the spell than I would the guy on the other side who duped 500k gold and was exploiting a mobs pathing in Kedge Keep to gain level 60 in a week. Both of which mind you have NOTHING to do with hacking programs. In fact I'd say for anything detrimental to other players on a blue server, exploits are far more disastrous than the hacking and tracking shortcuts that were being used.

At any rate I'll take my lumps and be back in game in two weeks, even if the suspension turned to a permanent ban and I have to start new. Why? Because I enjoy everquest and the cheating wasn't something I required to enjoy it, it was just so easy that I kind of felt compelled to. Not an excuse, just an honest statement. I'm not surprised and had a feeling that new DLL had to do with Rogean's hack detection, but I was too content at the time to think much of it. Honestly I almost took all of my items and put them on another account in fear of this, but you'll be happy to know I never did so my punishment is in full. Yes perhaps the GMs are lenient, but going from 60 to 54 is a huge loss no matter how you cut it. Even if they AOE group themselves for 72 hours straight we all know that isn't fun and they will all feel the sting. For those with huge stores of plat.. well they will feel it even more.

In closing I can say I'm actually sort of happy about this. Knowing that no one else is cheating and using third party programs takes away any reason for me to even want to do it and I can just play the game as intended. You may instantly damn anyone who "cheats", though I assure you not all of us are douchebags in game. I'd be willing to bet most of you have run across these so called "cheaters" and would have had no clue. You think "cheater" and automatically assume they're assholes in game who train, poop-sock, dupe and the like but I know many were unassuming players like anyone else who probably even helped you or someone you know at some point or another. I would know, I'm one of those people. If you've ever been given items out of sheer kindness, been randomly buffed by a higher level character, had someone help you break a camp that you couldn't do alone, etc.. Then one of those times it was a filthy cheater. Who knows, it could have be me...

If you cheated in anyway or form your a piece of smile plain and simple. VZTZ server was pvp for smile and should not be considered a good server at all...
Someone should of smiled you in the teeth for cheating instead of banning you...Good ridden pc. of smile smile..

Cheater
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Good ridden pc. of fuck shit..

Translation please?? Anyone?

karsten
08-28-2011, 12:27 PM
thats pycoba/visage, so who knows

Nazran
08-28-2011, 12:45 PM

You are a douche... I think.

Cheater
08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
You are a douche... I think.

Ahh thank you, I figured it was something of that nature.

Tamiah2011
08-28-2011, 12:50 PM

smile packing little smile ..that better?

Cheater
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
fudge packing little bitch ..that better?

Better to be the packer than the packee eh? Thanks though, but I think Nazran had already cleared it up for me.

I had hoped this to stay on the main board for the legitimate info that was provided, but it seems bound for RnF.

Uthgaard
08-28-2011, 01:10 PM
There are plenty of threads in R&F for that kind of crap. I'm not going to move the thread, I'll just move the people who can't follow the rules into the banned usergroup.

WizardEQ
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
With all the warning on P99, cheaters should have been deleted, period. After much thought, I am not allowing any cheating persons, yes persons, into the guild and am kicking all those out forever. This includes your main + all alts. The devs were unbelievable lenient, omg. You guys deserve nothing but the best punishment which is deletion of all characters and perma-ban on your IPs.

Xaxian

Knuckle
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
With all the warning on P99, cheaters should have been deleted, period. After much thought, I am not allowing any cheating persons, yes persons, into the guild and am kicking all those out forever. This includes your main + all alts. The devs were unbelievable lenient, omg. You guys deserve nothing but the best punishment which is deletion of all characters and perma-ban on your IPs.

Xaxian

I concur man, I've had a blast playing classic eq for 3+ years, it's the cheating fucks ruining the game for everyone else.

RandySlopeJr
08-28-2011, 01:56 PM
There are plenty of threads in R&F for that kind of crap. I'm not going to move the thread, I'll just move the people who can't follow the rules into the banned usergroup.

Thank you Uthgaard you so uber ,What would P99 be like without you.Your amazing keep up the great work.And best of luck.

Demetrium
08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
There was a time where I treated Street Fighter 2 as seriously as a heart attack. Played religiously for years, entered tournaments and knew everything there was to know about the game. I still love the game and it's a classic, but I would never treat it as seriously as I did back then. It's been 20 years, if I were ever to take it that seriously again then then I'd be doing something wrong. Now I play it for fun and nostalgia, and to occasionally trounce some young fool who thinks he's good at it even though I was playing it when he was a twinkle in his momma's eye.

As a competitive Street Fighter player I'm honestly surprised you would cheat and I'm actually leaning towards you being a scrub more than anything.

Salvation lies within, scrub:
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

WizardEQ
08-28-2011, 02:25 PM

I would expect less hacking now. In '99 you guys were all 12-16 and hacking, have impulse control issues, and got your slaps. Now you're all 24-28 and have learned right? You peps still hacking and older are disgraceful....ultimate shame and humiliation upon you. Public lists please with "A"s on your BPs.

Xaxian

Cheater
08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
As a competitive Street Fighter player I'm honestly surprised you would cheat and I'm actually leaning towards you being a scrub more than anything.

Salvation lies within, scrub:
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

Ouch, you wound me deeply sir. I can understand the sentiment though, but I was definitely no scrub or button masher. I played mostly in the Bay Area, CA and would travel down to Golfland in southern cali on some weekends just to test my skills with those boys as well.

Normally I abhor cheating, as lame as that may sound, and feel the worst thing added to any game was the difficulty slider. Do you remember how tough the old school NES games used to be when there was no "easy" mode or internet to download a FAQ?

I guess the grinding eventually got to me and I ended up down the dark path. At any rate say what you will, Rogean caught people and has handed down punishment. Some think it's too lenient and perhaps their QQ will change his mind, but for now it is what it is.

Cheater
08-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I would expect less hacking now. In '99 you guys were all 12-16 and hacking, have impulse control issues, and got your slaps. Now you're all 24-28 and have learned right? You peps still hacking and older are disgraceful....ultimate shame and humiliation upon you. Public lists please with "A"s on your BPs.

Xaxian

In 99 I had no clue there was any hacking. I naively assumed that since EQ ran in a full window and you couldn't alt-tab out of it that it was impossible. I really didn't learn about how bad hacking was in Live until well after I had left the game and read about it. What we did have was a shit ton of exploits and bugs that people took advantage of.

Hmm, there was one where if you deleted your character you could create a new one with the same name and loot your old corpse. Could transfer no drop items that way if you wanted to reroll an alt, like say Jboots..

Or one where sometimes the name filter would not catch duplicates and you could end up with the same name as someone else. Sometimes while zoning you would end up as the other character so if you were level 14 and they were 50 you'd both be in for a rather strange surprise. Seen that one happen to my buddy and he was the one that had the higher level guy.

There were so many at the time I don't think people needed to hack. The game was buggy as all hell when it first opened.

Kobias
08-28-2011, 03:21 PM
This is probably one of the more well thought out posts regarding the subject I've read in a long time. I was expecting a RNF style troll or something.

The moment the v12 patch came out, I was digging into the ASM of the new dll files to find out what they did. I was actually rather shocked with some of it. Those files do a lot more than what you might think it does. Kinda borderline privacy violation imo, but I can see the need for it; I just hope they keep my personal info secure on the server that collects it. I kinda sorta warned people upfront, but I didn't want to tell them it was a detection because I figured I'd land myself in trouble. I'm a programmer myself, and I love security stuff. That is why I take a vast interest in a variety of things on both sides. You need to understand how MQ2 works in order to stop hackers cold.

@OP: I will be honest, I can see why you'd find appeal in some of the things you mentioned. From what I've heard about it, it does some interesting things. But, those "interesting things" in MQ2 are often abused by the wrong people. I do know many players from Live that used it. Many of which only used it passively (for a means of information such as selling price of items? spell information on demand?) We'd group together and he'd tell me all the shit I should keep or toss lol. I don't personally have a problem with these types of people. I might consider the Tracking/EB thing you mentioned as bad though, as there are encounters that demand it.

But then, there are those people who did find SERVER-SIDE EXPLOITS, and used MQ2 to develop plugins/macros that took advantage of them. For example, the most notorious scandal I can remember was NoDelay/Ghost Killing mobs from EQLive. This went on for a very LONG time! Pissed me off because people were always jacking my mobs >.< But, It was because EQLive didn't enforce delay in their code that opened up a weakness to be exploited.

This is why NoDelay/Ghost doesn't work on emulator servers to the best of my knowledge-- or at least I've never heard about it? The loophole it exploited doesn't exist here.

Anyway, I've always been kind of torn on the whole issue of MQ2 thing, even from Live. The point I was trying to make, and maybe is the same as the original post: MQ2 can do a lot of things, most of which are passive (effects how you perceive the world). In some cases it can improve your gaming experience tremendously by taking tedious things out of the equation and let you focus on whats important to you. Then there are the A-Holes who pay cash to get hardcore plugins that do some wickedly sick things (Warping, zoning, etc), and act like complete dicks to others with the "power" it gives them.

Normally I wouldn't say this because it might count as divulging an exploit, but given that we have detection now, I feel a bit more optimistic we can discuss more detail. I've seen a guy use warping on P1999 to kite/med mobs. He'd setup 4 or 5 warp points in a circle pattern and pull a mob; start warping between the 4 points (smaller warps are less detectable apparently) and just dot a mob. He'd sit down and still be warping to the 4 points on a nice interval that the mob never could catch him. Easy XP? This is the kind of guy I have a problem with. I confronted him about it, but he was a nice guy so I didn't report him; just warned him that it's not a smart idea to use it here.

It was very generous of Rogean and crew to only suspend these people. If I had my hand in this process, I would have had a specific GM spy on those people during that period and serve them a ban instead for the ones exhibiting any noticeable/major exploitation. The community would probably be better because of it.

---

@omg mq2 cheaters must die: You probably met the small dick guys I was talking about.

@omg mq2 users can't track anymore: Guess again! the OP was pointing out other methods. There is a reason why EQLive has battled this problem for years, and it began with ShowEQ. It cannot be traced if done correctly, and I guarantee you somebody will do this. I wont tell you the correct way to do it. It just wont be as common place to use because MQ2 made it easy for the common guy.

@omg mq2 is gone forever: Not likely. If you honestly believe this, then you're a fool. Security and Hackers go hand-in-hand. A new security method comes out, a new hack circumvention prevents it. There is probably already somebody working on patching the new .DLL files to always transmit a passing state (or manipulate the data it collects about your machine). The point of me saying this is: relish it for a while because we'll be safe from hardcore cheating here for a while; but if I had to place my bets I'd say it'll be back at some point.

@omg P1999 actually did something to stop it, EQLive didn't: I heard a lot of people say shit like this, and always thought it was kind naive. EQLive did a more advanced detection technique years ago, and discovered the sheer well of people and their accounts who used. They took action against a select few who used it more hardcore game disrupting, but they inevitably adopted a secret policy of tolerance. Honestly, their reaction was the same as Rogeans: Disappointed. However, Rogean doesn't depend on us for financial backing, unlike EQLive. That is precisely why those who used it passively were not banned during that period, their continued subscription fee.

@omg Kobias was suspended too?!: No. My post here isn't in retaliation to a suspension or anything. Just sharing my views on the subject, and putting fact to stuff people talk about but don't seem to understand.

@Mods: Sorry if I put something in here you'd rather me not say. If you need to edit the exploit thing out or something go ahead... Would prefer that over deletion since I put a lot of time into this :p

@tl;dr crowd: try Ritalin...and learn more :)

@OP: I feel for your loss man, probably the only one I've heard who was suspended that I do.

Striiker
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I actually found this to be an interesting read. I never knew what these programs do although I had some good guesses. We all come to Project1999 to play original, challenging, hard mode Everquest. Why anyone would want to come to this server AND use cheats to make it easy is honestly baffling. Why not go play on the other servers where this is easier or somewhat condoned? It all makes no sense to me. If I don't get that rare spaw or uber item, it makes me more determined to get it. That's the challenge and the whole point of playing on this server.
Thanks for the well-written post.

Cheater
08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Well I'm glad at least a few people got something out of the post, that was my intention after all. I agree that hacking/cheating may not be completely stopped, but it will stop the majority(like me) who were using it passively and not aggressively trying to break the game and ruin others fun. Other than upsetting other players in the fact that cheating was going on, I never once used my advantages directly against other players. Most of the time I just had MQ2 running in the background for the free buffs and convenience. Stupid yes, but just took some monotony out of the game and I got so used to it I just left it running at all times.

At any rate I'm not upset about it in the slightest. EQ is a brutal game no doubt, but those that have logged many hours still understand the game better than the average player and it certainly won't be impossible to get back to where they were without any cheats. I undestand the sentiment and it's easy to point fingers and claim all people that use MQ2 "suck" at EQ, but how much of that is to make yourself feel better thinking "well if I used MQ2 I'd have 5 fungi tunics too!"? Some may and need the crutch, others just see it as a way of making certain tasks easier. I'm quite sure some "cheaters" are actually quite skilled players and use the advantage to a better effect than the average person would be able to. If you disregard that reality, well then that's fine too.

Feachie
08-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Ouch, you wound me deeply sir. I can understand the sentiment though, but I was definitely no scrub or button masher. I played mostly in the Bay Area, CA and would travel down to Golfland in southern cali on some weekends just to test my skills with those boys as well.

Normally I abhor cheating, as lame as that may sound, and feel the worst thing added to any game was the difficulty slider. Do you remember how tough the old school NES games used to be when there was no "easy" mode or internet to download a FAQ?

I guess the grinding eventually got to me and I ended up down the dark path. At any rate say what you will, Rogean caught people and has handed down punishment. Some think it's too lenient and perhaps their QQ will change his mind, but for now it is what it is.

that's why nintendo power had a game masters hotline :D

also, demon souls.

mitic
08-28-2011, 04:46 PM
good post kobias

ShowEQ
08-28-2011, 04:49 PM
All "cheating" is not the same...

ShowEQ - You wont get caught
myShowEQ - You get this suspension
MQ - You get this suspension

ShowEQ is basically showing you maps.

MQ is basically full blow cheating.

You get smacked the same way for full blown cheating as seeing maps if you are a bad cheater.

You completely continue with an EXP bonus if you are a smart cheater.

I think the MQ folks deserve a bigger slap than the ShowEQ folks. One just looks, the other sees and affects. They are big differences, and one of them wont suffer any punishment ever.

Cheater
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
that's why nintendo power had a game masters hotline :D

also, demon souls.

I'll take your demon souls and raise you a Battletoads. Now that was a tough f`ing game.. The original Ghosts and Goblins was no cakewalk either, unless of course you used the ^, ^, v, v, <, >, <, >, B, A, Start code.. I beat G&G legit with my buddy though never Battletoads. I think I smashed that game with a hammer at one point.

And yes nintendo power was one of the few ways to get help. OMG.. Nintendo power. Friend had the power glove. Tried it with Metroid and took it off after 2 minutes. That thing sucked!

Kobias
08-28-2011, 05:15 PM

You get smacked the same way for full blown cheating as seeing maps if you are a bad cheater.

I think the MQ folks deserve a bigger slap than the ShowEQ folks. One just looks, the other sees and affects. They are big differences, and one of them wont suffer any punishment ever.

Normally I wont bite troll posts that much, but this one is so tasty.

They're all 3rd party tools. They all provide a service that isn't native to EQ. That is cheating, because you have access to knowledge that someone else cannot hope to have without doing it also.

Your point about ShowEQ not effecting the client is true, but it still is a tool. For instance, if you had complete Database access to where rare mobs spawn and nobody else did, people would probably consider you a cheater. ShowEQ is kind of close to that based on the information it provides on a zone-by-zone basis.

The thing is though, and you do make this point, detection for ShowEQ done correctly is pretty much next to impossible. But that doesn't mean it's not cheating, nor should we consider it not. It paves the way for guilds to setup tracking bots in zones at all times, of any class. I have a big suspicion a lot of guilds took part in this dirty practice whether or not they believe it or not. Given that MQ2 usage for a while is out of the equation, it would be prudent to become a little more vigilant for a rise of SEQ users.

Pico
08-28-2011, 05:23 PM
listen i know im a cheater and sure these things gave me an advantage but u see i was basdically robin hood with infravision i gave the newbs my loot no disrespect thats how i am

Pico
08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
im not rly tryin to condone the cheating but basically it didnt give me much advantage but i still used it for some reason

Pico
08-28-2011, 05:26 PM
convenience i believe was the reason for using it im not double sure on that tho brb ghoul lord popped iwth yak

Cheater
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
convenience i believe was the reason for using it im not double sure on that tho brb ghoul lord popped iwth yak

I see what you did there..

ShowEQ
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Kobias,

You are right and I didn't try to distinguish one as cheating and another as not. I tried to say that one can do significantly more than the other and if you are smart then you are still running and will always be running showeq without any recourse.

So the cheating tools showeq, myshoweq, mq2, they are all cheating with significant differences in what someone can do but if you are using showeq you are still using showeq with a 50% exp bonus for being smarter than the myseq cheaters.

So I am saying the punishment should vary in some way equal to the tool. Especially since one of the tools is still being used by folks. And you bet the funny part is some of these haters are using the showeq tool rather than the myseq tool and making all these jack ass level funny claims about how happy they are everyone else got caught.

Either way you can bet anyone who wants to use showeq but didn't get banned is simply going to stop using myseq and dust off their linux skills and get showeq running again. At least those with enough ability to do it.

Either way, p1999 blue/red is just dealing with the idiots that run detectable tools and punishing the noobs more than the experts when it comes to cheaters. In the end I agree that do what you can, no point in not doing everything you can to remove the cheaters. But myseq and showeq are significantly different from mq2, you cant buff yourself with those. That is a huge difference.

Feachie
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I'll take your demon souls and raise you a Battletoads. Now that was a tough f`ing game.. The original Ghosts and Goblins was no cakewalk either, unless of course you used the ^, ^, v, v, <, >, <, >, B, A, Start code.. I beat G&G legit with my buddy though never Battletoads. I think I smashed that game with a hammer at one point.

And yes nintendo power was one of the few ways to get help. OMG.. Nintendo power. Friend had the power glove. Tried it with Metroid and took it off after 2 minutes. That thing sucked!

i call, and raise you rush n' attack.

Kobias
08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Kobias,

You are right and I didn't try to distinguish one as cheating and another as not. I tried to say that one can do significantly more than the other and if you are smart then you are still running and will always be running showeq without any recourse.

So the cheating tools showeq, myshoweq, mq2, they are all cheating with significant differences in what someone can do but if you are using showeq you are still using showeq with a 50% exp bonus for being smarter than the myseq cheaters.

So I am saying the punishment should vary in some way equal to the tool. Especially since one of the tools is still being used by folks. And you bet the funny part is some of these haters are using the showeq tool rather than the myseq tool and making all these jack ass level funny claims about how happy they are everyone else got caught.

Either way you can bet anyone who wants to use showeq but didn't get banned is simply going to stop using myseq and dust off their linux skills and get showeq running again. At least those with enough ability to do it.

Either way, p1999 blue/red is just dealing with the idiots that run detectable tools and punishing the noobs more than the experts when it comes to cheaters. In the end I agree that do what you can, no point in not doing everything you can to remove the cheaters. But myseq and showeq are significantly different from mq2, you cant buff yourself with those. That is a huge difference.

Fair enough, but the bonus as I understand it was a reward for those that didn't cheat.

I would agree if that punishment could be different, but in the end it kind of amounts to the same cheating mentality. MQ2's basic package as I've been told cannot provide maps that SEQ provides because P1999 blocks maps by setting expansion flag < Luclin. I bet there is a way around it, but it's probably something people paid cash for. Part of my ranting earlier in this thread was to point out kind of what your trying to say: Uber cheaters ought to have been punished more. But making that determination on such a large scale for each individual account is very cumbersome.

If there was a way to track SEQ users, it would be possible to do something about it. As it stands, the only way is to watch people and try to trick them with spawns and see how they react.

I think the moral of the whole story though is that: Cheaters beware :) Maybe your a SEQ user who slipped by this time, but they'll still be vigilant, and still be watching. You might enjoy your XP bonus now only to be banned later, when I imagine the penalty will be far less graceful.

ShowEQ
08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
A feel bad and try to defend mySeq folks because.......

I have run ShowEQ on linux and suffered no penalty and am now gaining an EXP boost.

I have a real life friend who has less techy knowledge and ran mySeq on my advice.

He is suspended and bummed, I am rewarded.

His fault for sure but I did suggest he use mySeq for lack of having the skills / pc's to run showEQ.... bummer.

Never have run MQ2 or mySEQ because seems like this was bound to happen. Although should add never ran MQ2 because that seems to affect everyone where seeing a map and being a EQ loner like me is not much advantage in the grand scheme. I can see how using for raids is advantageous in more ways that being a solo'r. Either way the point remains all these mySEQ noobs hit (the same as MQ2'ers) and all the ShowEQ people untouched and winning exp advantage.

Dantes
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
So what you are saying is, they should find a way to ban ShowEQ people too? Good idea.

The rules are pretty clear:

- Any type of program or script that gives you an unfair advantage (eg. MacroQuest, ShowEQ or packet modification) will result in an instant ban with no lenience. Cheating will be ruled with an iron first regardless of who you are.

nalkin
08-28-2011, 06:53 PM
is mySEQ not showEQ? I thought they were the same?

Kobias
08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I have run ShowEQ on linux and suffered no penalty and am now gaining an EXP boost.

I have a real life friend who has less techy knowledge and ran mySeq on my advice.

He is suspended and bummed, I am rewarded.

I'm not sure what you're trying to gain with this... When I read this, I get the impression your upset that some people probably slipped through the cracks and are being rewarded for it with an XP boost. Almost as if you'd prefer the bonus being taken away.

I prefer to look it this way, a vast majority of cheaters were suspended, lost money, lost levels, and get 0 xp points for two weeks :P

I realize that you can't track SEQ users, and even though it's still cheating, I still think the fact that MQ2 detection is more proactive now on the client-side is worth celebrating, and the XP bonus is a great way to celebrate with everyone (including the few SEQ cheaters) that MQ2 is out of the picture for a while =)

Davardo
08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
The moment the v12 patch came out, I was digging into the ASM of the new dll files to find out what they did. I was actually rather shocked with some of it. Those files do a lot more than what you might think it does. Kinda borderline privacy violation imo,

Woah woah, What does it do exactly?

Cheater
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
is mySEQ not showEQ? I thought they were the same?

One is the easy windows version, the other runs off of a linux box but they basically do the same thing.

Also MQ2 does use maps, but only on zones that devs weren't able to disable them in like cities and such so it wouldn't have been all that helpful. Any zone that you can bring up a map will allow MQ to show npcs and pcs on the map along with their con colors. I assume if maps would have been available in all zones then it would work with them as well.

Drem
08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
what a bunch of nonsense. just play the game the way it was designed. pussies

Uthgaard
08-28-2011, 07:44 PM
The moment the v12 patch came out, I was digging into the ASM of the new dll files to find out what they did. I was actually rather shocked with some of it. Those files do a lot more than what you might think it does. Kinda borderline privacy violation imo,
Woah woah, What does it do exactly?

They confuse people who can't tell the difference between native assembly and encryption, obv. It's like looking at one of Tamiah's posts and saying: "I understand." You can say you do, but it won't be true.

fohkure
08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Cool post. I had some friends who messed around with MQ2 on live during the GoD era. It was pretty crazy to see all the stuff it could do. I am very programming illiterate, so it was amazing to me to see what a third party program could do. When my friend used mq2 on live he could zone into keyed zones that he did not possess the key to by just typing /zone zonename. He could target a pc or npc and /warp target and instantly be at that same /loc or he could /warp loc and instantly be at that location. there were a millino plugins and scripts that people wrote to do pretty insane things. He used it much like the OP used it, to aid soloing farm mobs in large areas. The # in front of the placeholder for rare spawns was seriously broken for farming.

I never did mess with it because I felt it would ruin the game for me (i'm still convinced it would have), but I was amazed at what it could do. It was pretty much how I imagined a GMs screen would look. You could pull up a map and see every npc and pc in the zone, their loc, and watch them move around the zone in real time. It was basically just an information tool... as he used it anyways. As they say though, knowledge is power... and it definitely made his abilities much more powerful compared to any other non-hacking player.

I feel like 1/2 the people use these programs as a power trip. They love the fact that they have more information and abilities than the general population. The other 1/2 of the people use it because they are just straight up greedy. The OP falls into the former category i'm sure. While that category might not be as malicious, the end result is still some what the same.

This whole thread was pretty pointless though. 90% of the people who read it and really have no experience with any of these third party programs won't believe a word said in here. They will be convinced that these programs have functions like /loot 10000pp or /level 60 etc.

Chris

Yukahwa
08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
People aren't stupid. We get it.

Mardur
08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Some people downplay some of the shit you can do with MQ. Whenever I've used it (on live and other emu servers) it was for the basic, non-game breaking functions. However some of the plugins out there specifically target loopholes in code. For example, there was a plugin that allowed you to type a suicide command. After using it and accepting a rez, you'd gain about 20-30 levels. This worked on all emu servers. However I assume someone instantly jumping ahead that many levels is pretty easy to spot in logs.

Demetrium
08-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Cheating is cheating; if you can't play by the rules then don't play at all. The second you start classifying them by severity people will use the ones with small punishments until they get caught.

The game is 12 years old, and anyone who feels the need to cheat has an extremely pathetic superiority complex. I've never understood the mindset of people who cheat at games. If you're not good at something move on and find something else. I had imagined the majority of the people playing on P1999 were for nostalgia and fun; it's funny to see how others twist it.

Regardless of the excuse or the spin people put on it, I smile every time I think of all the clowns who got caught. I don't care if you're a person who used it once to check a rare spawn or used it every day -- you're all sons of bitches.

Convict
08-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Cheating is cheating; if you can't play by the rules then don't play at all. The second you start classifying them by severity people will use the ones with small punishments until they get caught.

The game is 12 years old, and anyone who feels the need to cheat has an extremely pathetic superiority complex. I've never understood the mindset of people who cheat at games. If you're not good at something move on and find something else. I had imagined the majority of the people playing on P1999 were for nostalgia and fun; it's funny to see how others twist it.

Regardless of the excuse or the spin people put on it, I smile every time I think of all the clowns who got caught. I don't care if you're a person who used it once to check a rare spawn or used it every day -- you're all sons of bitches.

Lagaidh
08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Read that in the "Older George Carlin" voice of the late 80s/ early 90s. It just fits perfectly.

Taketz
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
wow you guys sure take your pixels seriously

sellawiz
08-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Quoted for truth. It's a 12 year old game on an emulated server and it is taken less seriously by most than it used to be. Jobs, kids and other RL things are more important now so using cheats don't carry the same weight to some as they would have when the game was live.

As far as the olympic steroids statement this is a great analogy. People tend to assume the only "cheaters" are the ones who get caught, when in reality they were just the ones that failed at hiding it. Steroids are far more widely used than most people think it's just that some coaches know better ways of hiding it than others. Just as on this server there were far more people cheating than people ever realized.

And while we're on steroids as an analogy let's remember that they're performance enhancing drugs. They do not give you any new talents you didn't possess beforehand, they enhance the ones that you already possess. Similar to cheats in this game. They don't make you a good player, they just make doing the things you're already doing easier. If you suck at EQ then you're still going to suck with hacks because you won't even know how to utilize them.

As far as exploits in game, I have to disagree. Anyone could have found MQ2 within 10 minutes of searching so if you're on the internet then you did have access to the same cheats as others. The in game exploits are potentially more damaging to the server and just because "more" people have access to them doesn't make them any "fairer". I mean what you fear more from a server health point of view? A group of people running around EC with full time ultravision and enduring breath? Or the guy sitting in the corner of the tunnel duping plat?

Whether or not you used MQ, Showeq or were exploiting bugs in the game, it's all cheating and there are different levels of it.

Fuck you.

sellawiz
08-28-2011, 11:47 PM
wow you guys sure take your pixels seriously

Fuck you too.:mad:

Cheater
08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Fuck you.

Wait.. so are you mad about EQ or the steroids? :eek:

RandySlopeJr
08-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Does anyone care...You cheated at a damm video game, what else did you cheated at in life?

Secrets
08-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Cheater actually has some nice points here. If you can man up and admit something, it's better than if you go on a total rampage about it, especially given the punishment they gave out.

I applaud people like you.

Cheater
08-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Does anyone care...You cheated at a damm video game, what else did you cheated at in life?

Let's see...

1. Fibbed a bit on my taxes last year. Nothing too major but at least I owed them a bit less than could have been.

2. Admit to using radar detectors while driving, which obviously gave me an unfair advantage compared to drivers not using them. They probably QQ to the cop once they realized the reason I had slowed down in front of them while they flew by me, no doubt cussing my poor driving skills.

3. Lied to the ticket lady at the fairgrounds a couple of weeks ago and told her my son was 6 when he had actually turned 7 just weeks beforehand. This netted my son free admission. Score!

4. I had this cool scam I figured out in high school years ago. I would go into Good Guys and buy a video game (they weren't locked up back then), then I would come back a few days later with an empty bag and receipt. I'd take a new game off the shelf, slip it into my bag and return it to get my money back. Sadly they started locking them up not long after.

I could go on but the list would continue for many pages. I've never claimed to be a saint unlike some like to pretend and picking out which laws/rules are ok to break and which are not is an exercise in futility.

sellawiz
08-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Let's see...

1. Fibbed a bit on my taxes last year. Nothing too major but at least I owed them a bit less than could have been.

2. Admit to using radar detectors while driving, which obviously gave me an unfair advantage compared to drivers not using them. They probably QQ to the cop once they realized the reason I had slowed down in front of them while they flew by me, no doubt cussing my poor driving skills.

3. Lied to the ticket lady at the fairgrounds a couple of weeks ago and told her my son was 6 when he had actually turned 7 just weeks beforehand. This netted my son free admission. Score!

4. I had this cool scam I figured out in high school years ago. I would go into Good Guys and buy a video game (they weren't locked up back then), then I would come back a few days later with an empty bag and receipt. I'd take a new game off the shelf, slip it into my bag and return it to get my money back. Sadly they started locking them up not long after.

I could go on but the list would continue for many pages. I've never claimed to be a saint unlike some like to pretend and picking out which laws/rules are ok to break and which are not is an exercise in futility.

I don't applaud you. Log in your real account instead of making a new one, then admit to it.

Harrison
08-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Cheater actually has some nice points here. If you can man up and admit something, it's better than if you go on a total rampage about it, especially given the punishment they gave out.

I applaud people like you.

Applaud random anonymous accounts admitting to things no one can connect them with?

I am confusesededed

Redfield
08-29-2011, 03:36 AM
So many mad people in this thread.

visage
08-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Look You did something that is clearly stated is a no gooo ordeal. You broke the rules. Do I think your a bad person? No I don't know you , knor do I care. Do I think the punishment fits the crime??? Absolutely. There area plenty of other emu's you can do this on. People take pride in this game because its a damn fun game. People like you ruin peopls pride. The peopel willing to take the extra steps to accomplish what you do as "harmless". No I don't hate you. Will I flame you yes. You cost yourself the worst thing. Playing this game. This game is fun way fun. That's why people are here. Now you suffer the punishment. You will live life will go on. I feel though you feel at a loss. Knowing you were gonna get caught would you go back and time and fix the issue at hand to prevent it? Probably , but than again history has a way of repeating itself. In closing I'm glad you understand what you did was breaking the rules. Now if only you learned how to follow them. Everquest is Risk verse reward enough as is. What did you achieve by using these programs? Really was it worth it??? Take care kiddo and I'm glad you cheaters are being delt with. Just sucks the Gm's and Dev have to waste their time banning your stupid ass-s when they could be spending their time developing and correcting bugs. So you cost the server dev time. THANKS A LOT JERK!!!

fohkure
08-30-2011, 12:21 AM
People aren't stupid. We get it.

I sure hope that was meant to be ironic :D

Chris