PDA

View Full Version : Enchanters - charming in groups

visage
08-29-2011, 06:49 AM
So the one class I rarely have had good expierence charming in groups is Enchanters. The enchanters I have come across that were good. Are like 1 out of 100 , which enchanters in essence are rare. Anyone else expierence this? Like i've seen this enchanter it's name was Glitch it performed better than I ever seen most people play the class. It almost made me want to play one to recapture the elite skills it had. However, I never did.

Juugox2
08-29-2011, 07:37 AM
i always charmd in group lol needed that uber dps

Striiker
08-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Provided the enchanter has the proper gear, charming in a group can be quite beneficial. Enchanters who charm learn how far to push things. There should be the usual things like max HP / AC buffs and maintain rune at all times. Sometimes things aren't working well and charm keeps dropping (and it's a good idea to ditch that pet and try for another). Often charm will last full duration and the dps added really helps.

It's like many classes really, if you are fortunate enough to group with someone who really knows how to play their class, it's an incredible experience. If you get stuck with someone who doesn't know how to play that class well, it sucks. An enchanter needs someone at the computer who is constantly on the alert, watching and aware of all that is happening in the group and who communicates often and effectively. This often means moving around a lot to get the best view. Also, having a timer handy to keep group buffs up (this is mainly for haste) is a plus so the melee class aren't constantly having to watch their buffs and ask for more.

I think that enchanters are one of those classes where if poorly played, it is very obvious to others. There is rarely a middle ground with this class.

Messianic
08-29-2011, 09:16 AM
I think that enchanters are one of those classes where if poorly played, it is very obvious to others. There is rarely a middle ground with this class.

This.

Most Chanters i've grouped with in 55+ dungeons were either good (in other words:adequate i.e. maybe they aren't proactive enough or quick to the trigger with mezzing adds, but they generally did the job) or absolutely great. They tend to get filtered out pretty quickly - I've only grouped with maybe 1 or 2 bad chanters at high levels - and i didn't do it for long.

Vohl
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I use charm in groups here and there.

Recently, I've been getting into a lot of Sol B royals groups. We'll often just pull an entire room all at once. After popping off AE mez, I'll often charm a shaman. This does a few things: it CCs the shaman, adding some DPS to our side, draining the shaman's mana as it slows, DoTs and nukes its fellows; it kills the shaman's pet outright. Lastly, in a group where assists are a bit lacking, it can substitute for mez in a way that doesn't break when some goober F8s and autoattacks.

You'd think that a charm break would mean a dead enchanter. It ends up that when fully buffed, we aren't that fragile. Not really ideal tanks, mind you, but still able to get chewed on for a few seconds.

Extunarian
08-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Lastly, in a group where assists are a bit lacking, it can substitute for mez in a way that doesn't break when some goober F8s and autoattacks.

This. I originally charmed for DPS but now I do it because it's CC the melees won't break, and the dps is a bonus.

Vondra
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Really depends on what camp I'm at.

In an area where I'm near the top of the level range I should be there at, I'll use charm aggressively and sometimes give the pet weapons/haste it if I feel the charm break can be managed. Because of my level difference vs the mob I feel more confident in charm holding/sticking for a long time. The higher level the mobs are though, the more risky this is.

In areas where I'm of an ordinary level vs the mobs in the area, I won't risk that. It might not get me killed but it'll burn more mana on the healer keeping me alive than it is worth particularly if charm happens to break early several times. In those cases I reserve charm for use as a CC tool in multi mob pulls. Usually after the fight is done I'll intentionally break charm to kill my former pet off, mainly so I have the option to use charm again if we get another big pull. In most cases this is going to be your preferred way of using charm, at least in standard single group situations.

Slave
08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
This.

Most Chanters i've grouped with in 55+ dungeons were either good (in other words:adequate i.e. maybe they aren't proactive enough or quick to the trigger with mezzing adds, but they generally did the job) or absolutely great. They tend to get filtered out pretty quickly - I've only grouped with maybe 1 or 2 bad chanters at high levels - and i didn't do it for long.

I guess you're not in TMO. Is Winterfresh still stumbling and yelling his way through the game?

Nebi
08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Leveling up to 50 I never really charmed, mostly because I didnt trust the healers. Once I got theft of thought I charmed rarely as I was usually pulling for the group. I was the Karnor puller for all of my groups and nobody cared as exp flowed faster then having to wait on other pullers.

Kuchiki <Karnor Train Puller>

Peiagh
08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I have rarely charmed in groups because I just dont have room on my bar which in a group is usually mez, ae mez, stun, stun, tash, slow, root, swap.

To those echanters who do charm in groups, how do you set up your spells?

And what race are you? I'm a HE but am wishing I played DE for the Hide to break charm without using a spell or paying for the ring.

akahdrin
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Well you did say Glitch, he is one of the best enchanters around. I remember his frustration about how many times he would get the wrong drop in Kedge ;)

Glitch
08-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Sup~

Yea, that dumb mermaid and that stupid seahorse never dropped the shawls I wanted. :/