PDA

View Full Version : Enchanters - timer

Kope
08-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm a currently leveling Enchanter with an issue :(.

I'm having a hard time keeping track of the 5 min Alacrity timer while doing everything else I do in groups. I'd like to not depend on the melee to keep checking their buffs and tell me when they need it again.

So, here's my question: How do you guys keep track of the haste buffs? Did you buy a physical timer? Do you base it off of your currently existing buffs (i've timed it off of C but that's still a pain and I've missed it once or twice)? Do you use an e-timer?

Any help is appreciated

freakyuno
08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm a currently leveling Enchanter with an issue :(.

I'm having a hard time keeping track of the 5 min Alacrity timer while doing everything else I do in groups. I'd like to not depend on the melee to keep checking their buffs and tell me when they need it again.

So, here's my question: How do you guys keep track of the haste buffs? Did you buy a physical timer? Do you base it off of your currently existing buffs (i've timed it off of C but that's still a pain and I've missed it once or twice)? Do you use an e-timer?

Any help is appreciated

Cast it on yourself the same time you cast it on them, when yours wears off, theirs wears off...recast

Extunarian
08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Cast it on yourself the same time you cast it on them, when yours wears off, theirs wears off...recast

That's the 'brute force' way I suppose, but an awful waste of mana.

I have used the UI mod that changes the mp3 player into a timer, but I find it easier (for me anyway) to just glance at the clock whenever I cast.

That or use my cell phone's built-in timer which restarts with one quick button mash. YMMV depending on your handset software though.

There is also a handy desktop timer that can be made to always float on top of other windows: http://www.timeleft.info/

Ele
08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
2 Simple methods

Cast on your self first, refresh as needed all around.

Use GamTextTriggers and set up a timer when the haste cast message appears. This merely parses the log file and creates an overlay with timers. It does not affect the game executable.

Kope
08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
There is also a handy desktop timer that can be made to always float on top of other windows: http://www.timeleft.info/

Oh crud that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Zigfreed
08-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Make your target do the tiniest bit of work and have them type 12 characters "haste please".

Vondra
08-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I can see the windows clock when I play, so I just look at it as I'm casting haste and remember the time.

Vermicelli
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Nah, be a master chanter and time it yourself =) I typically use the /time function to keep up with it, but I may give that timeleft.info thing a try! When you get the long-duration haste Augmentation at L29, its duration is the same as Clarity, so ya know.

The haste line is a big mana sink not only because they cost so much to cast, but also because they don't last very long. If you find yourself low on mana often, think about staggering your haste casts. Celerity lasts about 14 minutes at level 48. After I get the first round of hastes set up, when I re-cast haste on the main DPS, I wait about 3 minutes to re-buff the next melee, 3 minutes for the one after that .. and so on, and I find that I can stretch my mana bar a little farther and don't have to worry about dumping 740 mana by casting Celerity 4 times in quick succession.

beentheredonethat
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
2 simplest ways are (as been pointed out before):

- have your group ask for it when it's coming off. most are capable of conversing.
- put it on yourself first, this way you'll know when its about to come off.

Baa
08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
With lower level hastes it can be a pain due to their short duration however now that I have AQ it is much easier, I know it lasts for 24mins - as I play in windowed mode (just enough to show the windows bar at the bottom of the screen) I just glance at the time and know that in just over 20 mins I need to start refreshing.

At lower levels when I was in grinding groups I would cast it on myself but I find now I would rather just time then burn mana on casting on myself - especially if you have a large number of melee class / pets in your group.

Peiagh
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I use a logitech G15 gaming keyboard that has an lcd screen on it where i can set up 2 repeatable countdown timers. Each has its own audio message that pops up when the timer runs out and i have 1 set for haste and one for mez.

I like having the start/stop button on the kb as opposed to having another program outside of the game.

akahdrin
08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Kitchen timer, 2 bucks at wal-mart

Striiker
08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
You can't keep casting stuff like haste on yourself as it is incredibly mana inefficient. It's a good habit to get into setting timers for yourself. I have used my iPhone timer and also a multi-timer for my iPhone (it's an app). I do like the idea of the floating clock in windows. It's great for mez and charm timers as well as buff timers. The whole point of this is to be as mana efficient as possible. Timing buff refreshes helps save your mana on casting too soon, mobs die faster as haste is kept active, healer mana is saved as they don't need to heal as often. Mez and charm timers are handy for the above reasons. Keeping mobs locked down means you get beat on less.

casdegere
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I always just cast it on myself first then everyone else.

Kevlar
08-30-2011, 12:51 PM
the way i always did it especially in raids where you arent usually grouped with everyone you need to buff is:

if someone wants a buff refresh have them simply /tell you with the specific buff you want.

then you just type /rt and cast it. quick simple easy. they want my buff they better ask for it. i have more important things to do than keep track of 40 buff timers esp when ppl are dying.

Striiker
08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
www.stopclock.com always worked for me.

Won't work any more. The domain is for sale.

Striiker
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
the way i always did it especially in raids where you arent usually grouped with everyone you need to buff is:

if someone wants a buff refresh have them simply /tell you with the specific buff you want.

then you just type /rt and cast it. quick simple easy. they want my buff they better ask for it. i have more important things to do than keep track of 40 buff timers esp when ppl are dying.

Raids are different. In groups however, it's a nice bonus when the buffers keep their buffs refreshed on the members of the group without asking.