PDA

View Full Version : New to p1999, looking for advice

nocookiesforme
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
So I just installed this the other day, and I'm COMPLETELY hooked. It's even worse than when I first played Live back in like 1999/2000. Wow. Anyway, I'm at work right now and we're having a really slow day, so what better way to fuel my addiction than by talking about the things I can't stop thinking about? So here it is.

I've got a level 9 barbarian shammy (named Rhent, for those who care) and I've been having a blast so far. I'm trying to decide where to hunt next. The guides I've been able to find (the Wiki is awesome by the way, thanks to everyone who's contributed to it) all pretty much recommend Blackburrow, but I find it hard to consistently find mobs my level that respawn quickly. Are there any good camp-able spots there for a level 9, completely untwinked shammy? I can generally solo an even-level mob but it takes like 70% mana to do so; I can handle 2 blues, but only if I'm REALLY lucky.

I also remember from back in the day that around this level, I spent some time in west karana killing bandits in a group. Will I be able to find anybody who wants to do that now? Or am I better off sticking to Blackburrow?

Lastly, should I instead try to find a group for mammoth calfs or something? Or is it time for me to make the run to the Commonlands if I'm looking for grouping at this level?

Thanks in advance!

Maze513
08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
dont hax

Demetrium
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
So I just installed this the other day, and I'm COMPLETELY hooked. It's even worse than when I first played Live back in like 1999/2000. Wow. Anyway, I'm at work right now and we're having a really slow day, so what better way to fuel my addiction than by talking about the things I can't stop thinking about? So here it is.

I've got a level 9 barbarian shammy (named Rhent, for those who care) and I've been having a blast so far. I'm trying to decide where to hunt next. The guides I've been able to find (the Wiki is awesome by the way, thanks to everyone who's contributed to it) all pretty much recommend Blackburrow, but I find it hard to consistently find mobs my level that respawn quickly. Are there any good camp-able spots there for a level 9, completely untwinked shammy? I can generally solo an even-level mob but it takes like 70% mana to do so; I can handle 2 blues, but only if I'm REALLY lucky.

I also remember from back in the day that around this level, I spent some time in west karana killing bandits in a group. Will I be able to find anybody who wants to do that now? Or am I better off sticking to Blackburrow?

Lastly, should I instead try to find a group for mammoth calfs or something? Or is it time for me to make the run to the Commonlands if I'm looking for grouping at this level?

Thanks in advance!

I think your best bet is heading to the commons area and then Oasis. It's a bit of a hike from Halas of course, but I think you'll have better luck leveling. If you swing by East Commons you might be able to find some nice cheap stuff (or donations).

Nazran
08-29-2011, 04:27 PM
dont hax

fo real

Supaskillz
08-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Honestly I Would stay in BB. the gnoll fang quest is amazing experience all the way to around 15 or so.

Slave
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Crushbone could probably take you up a few levels very quickly, and there are always groups there.

SyanideGas
08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I would've said everything everyone said so far, Welcome to p99 man! Send a tell to Skarry in game if ya need anything. I'd be happy to help ya out :)

jcbbjjttt
08-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey Rhent! It is Khann. I started having a lot of trouble finding groups in BB around 9 as well. I am also fairly under geared as I am "noob" to the server. I went ahead and moved to EC and have been moving up rather quick. If you can't find a group in EC, head to nro. Both areas have been good to me. The belts you get off of the orcs are similar experience to the gnoll fangs (not as good). Also, if you can find a good dervish group your xp will be moving up quick.

As it was mentioned, the trip to the commons is not short. But, you can generally find someone porting from North Karana. If no one is around porting, you can easily do a /who all common dru or wiz or a /who all ecom dru or wiz. People have been very nice to me on this server as far as giving me a port around. Just remember to tip :)

Hope to see you in game!

Estu
08-29-2011, 04:55 PM
BB is good, you just need to find a group. I would advise against moving to another place at this level just because it's a lot of time and effort when you can just as easily (often, more easily) EXP where you are. Whatever you do, if you're grouping, stay in dungeons and avoid outdoor zones like Oasis and LOIO, as they give less EXP per kill.

Zigfreed
08-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Gnoll teeth etc work well but I recommend going to EC and using lots of niceness, pleases and the like to get buffs (DS, regen hp buff) and go throw yourself at a pile of reds. You'll be 15th in no time.

Excellio
08-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks in advance!

My characters name is Excellio. Send me a tell sometime and I'll see what I can do to help you out.