PDA

View Full Version : Best casual solo class? Mage or Necro.

Lazola
09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Place your bets..

Discuss.

Which would be best for a casual player solo alot to 50?

Harrison
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Casual? Mage is more easymode but less survivability. You have to solo in a completely different manner than Necromancers do.

Necros are more powerful overall, but are glorified manabots on raids.

Mages aren't much better on raids, unfortunately.

Soloing speed to 50? Mage hands down.

Lazola
09-01-2011, 08:09 AM
thanks for the speedy response harrison. i have started a mage last night but currently only lvl 2 HA im that casual :P. do you know of any good links for guides on mage class and soloing techniques ect for low mid high lvl's?

thanks again

visage
09-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Necro can be soloed very well providing you play one well. You can solo in Lower guk and rack up the exp really efficiently with the zem. Along with Kaesora etc.

Any class with showeq

tekniq
09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
if you're going to run a mage, must get torch of alna..

honestly they're both what you're looking for, the question i want to ask YOU is:

1.) do you want to fear/kite
2.) do you want to heal/summon?

Juugox2
09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
less chance of dying on a necro tho (FD) :P and mana regen plus taps i still think necro owns mage hands down :P

lower lvls maybe mage is better but 30+ id say nec

tekniq
09-01-2011, 09:05 AM
less chance of dying on a necro tho (FD) :P and mana regen plus taps i still think necro owns mage hands down :P

lower lvls maybe mage is better but 30+ id say nec

wait til epics come out and i shall proveth you wrong

Peatree
09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm loving my necro.

soup
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Necro is a hell of a lot more fun and versatile.

And I'm not really understanding why a mage supposedly will solo to 50 faster? I mean hell, even if mage can kill more effectively than a necro, which I would certainly question, a couple deaths prevented with FD/harmshield can easily make up the difference.

Dirtnap
09-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I personally like mage better, I love being able to summon items for people.

Necro however gets the Hp to Mana spells, and would have a lot less downtime overall than the mage would.

Feachie
09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
necros can do pretty much everything, i'd argue they're the most versatile class.

it's also pretty hard to die with a self rune, harmshield, and fd. and if you do die, summon your body and do it again.

coki
09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Mages level to 50 faster then necros because as a smart player you will always be seeking monk/rogue mobs who have shitty hp and hit super fast which they kill themselves on the mage pet's DS, A mage will kill stuf a lot faster then necros therefore leveling faster, also a smart player wont die and wont need fd. even if you do die a few times a mage will still level faster, and probably use less mana doing it

Ennoia
09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Necro is a hell of a lot more fun and versatile.

And I'm not really understanding why a mage supposedly will solo to 50 faster? I mean hell, even if mage can kill more effectively than a necro, which I would certainly question, a couple deaths prevented with FD/harmshield can easily make up the difference.

Magician kills THAT much faster. Their pets are a lot tougher and thus can take on more mobs while the Magician literally just sits there and does nothing. Fire pet damage shield is a HUGE bonus for a soloist. While a Necromancer may be better for dungeon soloing (since it's easier for them to split a room), a Magician is better for outdoor soloing.

As for guides, check around Server Chat for the recent thread on the same thing.

Feachie
09-01-2011, 05:04 PM
put me outdoors, as long as i can land a snare on the mob i can kill it. may not be as fast, but i think i can kill bigger things :)

Kope
09-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Once you hit 60 seems like necros are way more powerful than mages...at least till epics come out.

soup
09-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Magician kills THAT much faster. Their pets are a lot tougher and thus can take on more mobs while the Magician literally just sits there and does nothing. Fire pet damage shield is a HUGE bonus for a soloist. While a Necromancer may be better for dungeon soloing (since it's easier for them to split a room), a Magician is better for outdoor soloing.

As for guides, check around Server Chat for the recent thread on the same thing.

I just have a hard time picturing the difference as being THAT significant.

I mean, I'm by no means an expert on it, since I haven't leveled a mage (have done necro though) but I know that, for example, when doing seafuries on my shaman, the only class that was able to keep up with my killing rate was necros, whereas the mages on the island would always be telling me stuff like "Man, I didn't realize shaman could solo so effectively, you're making me jealous!" etc.

Yes, I realize seafuries aren't a very standard example, and this is also at higher levels where things are a bit different than leveling at lower levels.

Dazen
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Necro hands down .

jerok88
09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Classic - Mage
Kunark - Necro

Humerox
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
...the only class that was able to keep up with my killing rate was necros, whereas the mages on the island would always be telling me stuff like "Man, I didn't realize shaman could solo so effectively, you're making me jealous!" etc...

Only mages that couldn't keep up would be the pet-healing mana-burning mages.

;)

soup
09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Only mages that couldn't keep up would be the pet-healing mana-burning mages.

;)

I spent a LOT of time there and saw a LOT of mages, but none of them ever came close to me or the (good) necros.

I mean, maybe it was just nothing but crappy mages going there, I don't know. Just sayin'

Humerox
09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
well...back in the days when you could actually be alone at seafuries, my mage could clear the isle and then keep up with the spawns.

so, i dunno, soup.

;)

SirAlvarex
09-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed in their soloing power. Once a mage gets a torch of alna, they don't need anything else while the necro benefits from a lot of HP gear.

If you have to choose, I'd say Mage simply because you can do more just starting out.

Knuckle
09-01-2011, 06:53 PM
best casual sex class is female DE rogue

Feachie
09-01-2011, 06:53 PM
if you think dying sucks, go necro or go home.

Harrison
09-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I spent a LOT of time there and saw a LOT of mages, but none of them ever came close to me or the (good) necros.

I mean, maybe it was just nothing but crappy mages going there, I don't know. Just sayin'

They broke pet aggro a bit back, too. Which is probably most of your time there.

I used to have the island to myself, or share it with 1 or 2 other people TOPS.

None of this retarded shit of noobs sitting on spawnpoints.

Greenkrak
09-01-2011, 07:03 PM
edit: for being ignorant

soup
09-01-2011, 07:04 PM
They broke pet aggro a bit back, too. Which is probably most of your time there.

I used to have the island to myself, or share it with 1 or 2 other people TOPS.

None of this retarded shit of noobs sitting on spawnpoints.

Yeah, people answering CC's out there with whatever spawn points they're on, lol. Pretty retarded.

Harrison
09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
A necro would be sitting oom, or low on hp, if they tried to sustain clearing that entire island at 50 repeatedly. (or under like when I started to do it...)

Kope
09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
A necro would be sitting oom, or low on hp, if they tried to sustain clearing that entire island at 50 repeatedly. (or under like when I started to do it...)

Good piont, this is exactly why mages are the masters of getting plat and necro are the masters at getting dungeon items.

2 sides to a coin basically.

Humerox
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Good piont, this is exactly why mages are the masters of getting plat and necro are the masters at getting dungeon items.

^^^

Fair and accurate assessment.

Harrison
09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Post 50, this has probably changed. I'm not sure.

But, the OP was wondering about pre-50...

I guarantee that a necro no matter how skilled could catch a mage to 50. It's just the way the classes work.

Necro is 1000000 times more versatile, though. Mage is kind of a one trick pony. (with a lot of little tiny mini tricks if you're halfway good)

Splitting frenzy with an earth pet for instance:

Root BTs away from spawnpoint.
Camp out.
Login quickly
Hope one is still solo away from spawnpoint.
Kill
Repeat

I've done this personally on P99. So, necros aren't the only dungeon soloers. They just do it easier without tricks lol

Feachie
09-01-2011, 07:40 PM

isn't that what getting dungeon items gets you?

Kope
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
isn't that what getting dungeon items gets you?

Yes, but this is the whole debate about the economy

More Necros than Mages on a server - Prices for items are lower because there's more items and less plat

More Mages than Necros on a server - Prices for items are hihger because there's more plat and less items.

Harrison
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, minus the fucktarded hassle of sitting in EC playing "merchant"...

Nail the merchant inzone, keep farming! No downtime!

Feachie
09-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, minus the fucktarded hassle of sitting in EC playing "merchant"...

Nail the merchant inzone, keep farming! No downtime!

this. on live people came to lguk to get their fbss cheap from whoever was farming so he could continue farming

akahdrin
09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Mages and necros are a lot different, granted both are pet classes.

I'd have to say that prior to level 34 mages are superior in soloing, but once 34 hits and a necro has dooming darkness, venom of snake, and invoker fear along with call of bones they really start to take off.

Once a necro hits 49 nothing solos better just do to lack of downtime via lich.

At 60 a necro has better potential in farming just due to demi-lich.

Both have their roles, mages and necros are both mana bots in a way because they'll make a lot of rods while necros pass a lot of mana. Some will say being a manabot is worthless, but you know what, I'm a fan of winning and a cleric with mana is winning.

In velious, necros will really start to shine even more because fights last longer than theyd do now with the 32k hp cap on bosses.

Coriolis
09-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Yea I'm with Knuckle on this one...

Roll and DE rogue and sex everyone up for xp... quickest way to 60.

Really though I would say necro would provide more versatile soloing environment. Mages have quite a few utilities that are fun (summoning items etc.) and can throw down some mean damage, but simply don't have the kinda survivability that necros offer.

Bubbles
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Any 6 man group in Kunark with a necro is basically OP'd if the necro knows what he's doing.

The necro can play the role of enchanter, of backup healer, of dps, of puller... the list is long. A mage is never going to save a camp by rezzing a cleric back in, either.

On raids a necro is more than a glorified mana battery. Necros are the best healers of mob kiters in fear, because they can feign right after pacting and keep the kite clean. Necros can also spot enchanters on crowd control with either root, screaming terror, or even charm on big pulls.

Necro is like a bard or enchanter in a lot of ways. Yes, the bad ones are basically clarity fairies with some crowd control. The good ones wear many hats.

Mage armor is in hate on far more mobs than there are bogeys in Fear. Mage quest focus items and armor blows necro stuff out of the water. Mages take malachite instead of bone chips (and later peridots, ugh). Mage lava shields are some of the best no-brainer dps in the game, either solo or in groups. stuff like Gift of Xeb and Pouch of Q, Muzzle of Mardu... They summon amazing trinkets that are quite useful.

That said, arguing between mages and necros for being better as a casual solo option is like discussing who's hotter between like Megan Fox and Miley Cyrus. You're banging either, just choose the one you want.

Razdeline
09-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Leveled my Mage to 50 in cloth armor in less than 5 days play time.

Besides that, the mage epic is much more substantial than the necro one, given that your pet is the base of your dps/soloing ability.

Necro has better survivability, self healing etc.

Mage can summon mod rods, which are more mana efficient and can pump them out faster than necro feeds. On raids typically mod rods are more in demand, based on the fact that they can be picked up whenever someone needs them. Yes they take health, but its still efficient to just CH the user.

georgie
09-02-2011, 02:19 AM
thanks for the speedy response harrison. i have started a mage last night but currently only lvl 2 HA im that casual :P. do you know of any good links for guides on mage class and soloing techniques ect for low mid high lvl's?

thanks again

nuke, pet attack, walk backwards, nuke, nuke, run...

repeat.

Seaweedpimp
09-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Casual? Mage is more easymode but less survivability. You have to solo in a completely different manner than Necromancers do.

Necros are more powerful overall, but are glorified manabots on raids.

Mages aren't much better on raids, unfortunately.

Soloing speed to 50? Mage hands down.

Man u crazy as shit

Resil
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Man, the role of the magician and the necro are different.
The magician is more focused on the items "Click" as rods, rings, necks ...
offensive dmg shield buffs like are useful.

The necros are the masters of survival, in addition to mana dump, pulling with FD and to resurrect the cleric if he dies.

In raid the magician also have the call of hero, summoning the people or the cleric after some wipe.

No longer have the utility of the Epics.

Necro = DoT
Magician = Powerful Pet (in my opinion, the best pet in the game, with lots of life, dps and dmg shield high enough.)

In my opinion, both classes are great for soloing. But I stick with the necro for fun.
While Epic mage pet also makes a very tasty option.

beentheredonethat
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
mages level really fast, especially if you are just starting. every 4 levels your pet can flat out solo mobs for you, and all you have to do is shield/heal it (and occasionally nuke). I really had no problems defeating yellow con mobs for a long time with a mage.

necro. I don't know as much about them. Can they fight off yellow con mobs? having FeignDeath is pretty nice though.

Aandolaf
09-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Mage will level to 50 quicker. Think I did whatever till 18, EK spiders till 24, Highkeep guards/goblins till 41, then can do like oggok/freeport guards to 50. Lots of other options of course, I just chose these because I was lazy.

Make sure you do at least 1 point of damage to whatever you are fighting, let the pet(fire) do the rest. Get the Torch of Alna asap, should have enough cash from killing guards to just buy the items relatively early on.

Messianic
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Mage --> 50 can be faster than necro if you stay in the right area, but typically necros are faster still.

Necro is WAY faster past 50.

Runningfish
09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Any class with showeq

Uhhhh.. No?

Feachie
09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
mages level really fast, especially if you are just starting. every 4 levels your pet can flat out solo mobs for you, and all you have to do is shield/heal it (and occasionally nuke). I really had no problems defeating yellow con mobs for a long time with a mage.

necro. I don't know as much about them. Can they fight off yellow con mobs? having FeignDeath is pretty nice though.

yellow, red if you can land a snare on it.

Messianic
09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Before they changed resists, my necro was consistently landing darkness on reds and heat blood was never resisted (it's not really now either). Came in very handy when camping Saben Tucross at 17 and both millers at 19...

Autotune
09-02-2011, 03:34 PM
if you are gonna base the soloability of necros and mages on seafury island. then i'll out kill them on seafuries at 50 any day on a necro (only class i seen that could kill them faster, more efficient is an enchanter).

Charm dark blue spectre then snare fear and own (root rot adds).

Haven't done much there since kunark but it's still pretty lol with rogue pet or monk pet.

as far as soloing 1-50. I could do it faster as a necro than a mage. That, however, is because i'm way better with a necro and i also know what camps/areas my necro will excel at.

That being said. Necros, if played well, can solo camps for loot and xp(dungeon bonus wut?!?) and out level a mage easily. The slow levels are the early levels, after that and you get some tricks, it's smooth sailing. A mage could do the same camps (most of the time) if they are pre-broke for them (but you can't afford a mistake).

vieirinho
09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Like Feachie said
yellow cons? try reds and undercons. run to max range, snare, if resisted, FD, and repeat, once snare lands its over. obviously there is a limit to how red the mob can be.
OR.. if you're feeling ballsy, charm an undead monk, buff it, and use it to kill a 50+ mob.

When farming hg's, who takes down boorg bloodbeard?
never even saw a mage attempt it
btw, you're welcome for always freeing up that extra hg spawn

as for leveling, 20+ as a necro was simple, 30-40 was a joke, and 40-50+ less of a joke, but a lot of fun.
once you hit 34 and get root, soloing becomes trivial.

30ish-40 I did a 4 spawn rotation, with the occasional roaming mob.
I could kill the 4 mobs with over a minute left to repop, if it was a rotation without the roamer, I would gain 5-10% mana.
throw in gnoll whips and your mana is spilling out of its bar.

To any aspiring necros reading this:(While leveling)
Dont waste mana, a lot of necros I've seen overkill their mobs
Snare, pet attack, lvl 1 disease cloud is enough to keep agro for most of the fight, if pet gains agro, tap, or reapply dot.
you just killed a mob using an insignificant amount of mana, especially with a lich line spell active.
Dont be scared to use a minimal amount of mana to keep taunt, remember, you are always in control of agro, and can take it off your pet at any time.
..... and... dont even buy fear....

Eventually you will have to group/get bored of soloing
DPS, Mod rods, eventually CoH and some other utilities
or DPS, Mana dumps, minor healing abilities, backup CC/primary CC-depends on situation, eventual emergency rez, backup puller, FD and some other utilities

I did 1-50 naked on my necro(Damask robe and giant snake fang only), Only got gear so I could group/raid

mala
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
mages will out lvl a necro any day, if you arent, your playing the mage wrong.

necros have a ton of sick skills at 50+ (fd, rez, heals, all kinds of shit) but ultimately your doing the exact same thing as a mage in a raid: giving your mana to healers and pressing pet attack. any necro who tries to glorify their class and say this isnt true is in a deep state of denial.

Kope
09-02-2011, 06:08 PM

necros have a ton of sick skills at 50+ (fd, rez, heals, all kinds of shit) but ultimately your doing the exact same thing as a mage in a raid: giving your mana to healers and pressing pet attack. any necro who tries to glorify their class and say this isnt true is in a deep state of denial.

Raids? Yes. Groups? Necros add crazy utility while played correctly.

mala
09-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Raids? Yes. Groups? Necros add crazy utility while played correctly.

the only reason youd group as a mage or necro is if your wanting to be lazy, in which case your point has 0 validity.

Harrison
09-02-2011, 07:00 PM
the only reason youd group as a mage or necro is if your wanting to be lazy, in which case your point has 0 validity.

Or you're bored and tired of soloing.

Soloing is boring as fuck.

Kope
09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Or you're bored and tired of soloing.

Soloing is boring as heck.

This. IMO grouping and being part of a team is what makes the game fun for me. I really want to try a necro out but I'm going to group as much as possible. Yes this will slow down my xp rate but who cares? The game is supposed to be fun.

quido
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a shaman yet.

Feachie
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM

not...really? in groups i feel like i work twice as hard. mezzing, mana battery, snare, pet management, etc. that's why i don't like to group. i like to be lazy.

Kope
09-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Necros that know how to play well in a group are incredible and can fill many roles, plus keep the party going no matter what's happening.

Chandorean
09-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Necros that know how to play well in a group are incredible and can fill many roles, plus keep the party going no matter what's happening.

While that's very true, it's largely because the necro could, i most cases, solo the same camp as the group is occupying.

soup
09-02-2011, 08:02 PM
While that's very true, it's largely because the necro could, i most cases, solo the same camp as the group is occupying.

Pretty much, lol

I remember some thread where people were talking about how they don't want necros in their groups, and then someone was like "What the hell? A necro can solo most of those camps, then invite 5 random classes and call it a group." and it's pretty much true.

Autotune
09-02-2011, 09:14 PM

you're

Necros get all that before 50

Depends on what raid you are doing. I've done CC, Charming dps, Pulling, CRs, and trained when needed. (granted you can do some form of this as a mage, but not anywhere near effective) In sky the mass majority of necros will be doing the same thing as a mage yes, but it's a boring place anyhow for necros.

stormlord
09-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Magician.

All-around a very strong class.

Necromancer gets a lot more complicated, but has some extra potential.

Necro has to worry about faction too. Just another thing to complicate it.

Ofc, necro can FD. If you AFK a lot, Necro is better, even though a mage pet does auto-protect if afk.

beentheredonethat
09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
mage was really easy to play when i played one. fairly casual. send pet, nuke a mob once and heal your pet.... can take down pretty strong stuff.