PDA

View Full Version : Vote on the winner of the story giveaway contest

Hagglebaron
09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Story #1 submitted by Rainflush

I played a shaman on EQ live to about level 50, though I tarried in the lower levels for some time due to the fact I disliked most players so I was seldom able to accomplish much as I was most always by myself. Back then I was friends with a kid who had a level 53 Iksar monk, and my character being only level 26 or so at the time I decided to sign in as my friend's monk and have a look at some of higher-end zones in Velious. I had no experience playing a monk, though I knew they could Feign Death, which I assumed to mean that monks could freely travel wherever they pleased and just flop on the ground whenever something endangered them. I eventually made my way to Velketor's Labyrinth and began moving steadily upward, shaking my attackers by playing dead. After I'd climbed a considerable ways in and feign-flopped past any number of enemies, I of course encountered something which called me on my bluff. I was immediately swarmed with golems and gargoyles, my hit points had dropped to half within a few seconds, and I suddenly realized the folly of my solitary dungeon reconnaisance. Stricken with panic, I bolted for the nearest ledge and flung myself off, hoping that my corpse would land in a more accessible area as to facilitate it's recovery. I fell quite a ways, though surprisingly enough I survived the fall, landing on an outcropping of a lower platform. It was then I remembered that monks have Safe Fall, and my grim resignation was replaced by a glimmer of hope, all I had to do was hop down from platform to platform till my Feign Death ability refreshed. Thus I plummeted in a desperate bid for survival, reaching the bottom of the dungeon (or the level on which the entrance is situated) with about 3% of my hit points remaining. I Feigned Death again, tensely awaiting the deathblow I so rightly deserved. To my surprise nothing came to finish me off, I had indeed managed to avoid what seemed like certain death. A few moments later I'm binding my wounds when the text window comes alive with angry /shouts in all capitals. Apparently the little stunt I pulled caused a train which took out about a third of the players in the dungeon. I promptly signed out.

Story #2 submitted by Cujoy

My only other newb story is that when I started that ranger I joined a roleplaying guild. But I didn't know they were roleplaying other than they said weird old English shit like ye and thee. I basically knew nothing of guilds, they made me the "Baroness of West Commonlands", I went to WC, our guild policy was to help people in 'your' land, so I ran around helping people who were having problems in WC telling them I was the Baroness of WC. Everyone thought I was crazy because they asked if I was RPing and I said no, I'm the actual baroness. I thought I had real power... it's kind of sad now that I think about it, especially since this went on for almost a week.

Story #3 submitted by rabienrose90

Hmmm, one of my favorite times in everquest was when my father and I wanted to go out and fish but because of the weather, we couldn't. So Instead we ended up on EQ in Kaladim and we decided to have a fishing contest lol

We took off all our gear and emptied our bags so it would be fair, we only had a fishing pole, a few stacks of beer and a few stacks of bait.

I forget where it was but I want to say by some Iron mill and there was a small dock with a little pond. We ended up falling off that little dock a good twenty times from being so drunk(in game, I was like 12 or so at the time)

It was a while until we realized we were eating the fish we were catching lol We were laughing so hard at how drunk we were in game, and that the random message of "you spill your beer" lol it was really fun = )

He did end up winning though = / I might have to have a rematch with him soon lol

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

These are the three stories i enjoyed the most, i now leave it to the community to decide which of them takes home the prize. The winner will receive 10kpp, which they can pick up from me at the second torch in the East Commonlands tunnel. The poll will end in one day, good luck!

*Note* to prevent people from making new accounts and bolstering their choices tally, only votes from accounts more than 2 weeks old will count. Please be honest here!

Grahm
09-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I voted for you Rainflush. If you win, you owe me 100PP! :D

Coriolis
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Well all three gave me a good laugh, but I simply can connect way too well with the first story... my original character on live being a monk, I have done my share of stupidly adventurous activities while relying on FD as my savior. Being chased by an army of angry gnomes in the depths of Ak'Anon... well, not story time anymore.

So my vote goes to story #1.

Kyrus
09-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I actually laughed at the mental image produced by #2...they get my vote.

soup
09-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I gotta go with #2. It's so simple, yet it cracks me up. It really rings so true in regard to the whole RP aspect of EQ and the way the social aspect of the game can lead to some hilarious stuff.

#1 is funny too, but really now, trains wiping half of Velk's was an hourly occurrence, lol
#3 is a fun story that I like a lot, but it doesn't have that lol factor for me

Cfred0-
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
i jst wasted 5 mins reading these.

soup
09-01-2011, 09:33 PM

It took you 5 minutes to read those? lol

Hagglebaron
09-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Confirmed mongoloid

Hagglebaron
09-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Where are all the family people! I thought #3 was very touching, a great father-son memory for them to share

Motec
09-02-2011, 02:21 AM
1 Some dickhead trains people.

2 Someone genuinely is a newb and that's hilarious

3 Your dad was such a bad father he made a 12 year old kid play eq and not go into bait and tackle stores when the weather is shit.

Vote 2. The others suck.

Tux
09-02-2011, 06:25 AM
I enjoyed many of the posts that came out of this competition, it's funny that bumbling newbie stories can still be so entertaining. The 3 finalists are good choices Hagglebaron, I definitely thought #1 was the best myself.

bakkily
09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
well gratz to whom ever is the winner

nymphloa
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
But my tale was EPIC! bro!

Extunarian
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I can't vote for a 'i almost died but didn't' story.

3 was nice but wow #2 made me laugh picturing someone getting all serious and saying 'eff you i'm the actual baroness not some dumb RPer'

Actually motec summed it all up pretty well, but i don't share his hatred for #3.

Extunarian
09-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Where are all the family people! I thought #3 was very touching, a great father-son memory for them to share

Then pick 3 :confused:

Hagglebaron
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow this got close over night, Cujoy making a comeback!

Ingrum
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Despite it sounding like a dreadfully cheesy under-funded Hallmark Channel movie, I voted for story #3. That interaction and sheer amount of enjoyment just from socializing with other players/friends/family members in-game is exactly what I remember best and cherish the most about my classic days.

Back then it wasn't about pixels for me (Save for when my friends and I made female characters just to admire their tatas since CyberSitter had just gotten real popular) so even though I didn't have any moments quite as cheesy as that, I can totally relate and appreciate it.

As for the others...

#1: Good submission, but a tale experienced and told far too often in my opinion. Unintentional disaster is always worth a chuckle and a good story, but they're all pretty much the same in the end.

#2: Haha, just the entire image of this serious faced "Baroness" unknowingly roleplaying her ass off for great justice gave me a good laugh. I still have fond memories of when everything in EQ was taken seriously like that... y'know, when even though you weren't roleplaying you were still completely and utterly sucked into a living breathing world.

Thanks for hosting this Hagglebaron. Can't wait to see who wins!

Hagglebaron
09-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Congratulations to Cujoy! And cheers to everyone else who submitted a story.

Cujoy pm me with times you will be online to pick up your plat

Rainflush
09-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Quite the close call, congratulations Cujoy.

Nyrod
09-03-2011, 02:26 AM
sorry bro i was the 30th one to vote for cujoy lol didnt look at the results and so i didnt realize it till after i voted :P course that was awhile ago thought for sure more would vote after me...

Cujoy
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
thanks, and uh, if I'd had been paying attention I'd have voted for myself and won by 2 votes!